Conversation Today

Adam:  Mom, this mouth ulcer hurts SOOOO bad.

Me:  Sorry, sweetie, I know those hurt, but there’s not much we can do about it.

Adam: But it HURTS.

Me:  I know.  But the only thing that will heal it is time.

Adam: You want me to stick a clock in my mouth?

Badump-BUMP!  Thank you, he’ll be here all week….

40 thoughts on “Conversation Today

1. citystreams says:

I’ve found that a quick gargle of hydrogen peroxide usually makes the pain stop and the sore heals faster.I always get them from biting my cheeks. Especially when I eat pizza, for some odd reason.

2. Melanie says:

LOL. I know this wasn’t meant as a cure post, but the new Rembrandt for mouth ulcers works. Not the name of it, though. Something to do with sensitive gums.

3. Rebecca says:

Ha! That’s hysterical!
    (We have a couple of WFMW suggestions up there, too.
    Speaking of which, I have mine for next week all ready to go. πŸ™‚ )

4. Jeana says:

I love a kid with a sense of humor.
    Orabase with Benzocaine helps the pain and makes it heal faster, but it does make it numb, which one of my kids thinks is worse. Also, swish with one part Kaopectate liquid, one part liquid Benadryl, and three parts water. (My dentist gave me that recipe when my daughter used to get them often.)
    If he gets them a lot, switch to a toothpaste without sodium laurel sulfate, like Sensodyne or Animal Parade. A lot of people are sensitive to it. Since I switched my daughter’s toothpaste, she went from having them every couple of weeks to having one in two years.

5. Jen says:

I use Biotene toothpaste (it’s for dry mouth) when I have them. It doesn’t foam and apparently the foam keeps them irratated. It is so much better than regular toothpaste. (Only when I have a sore, of course. Normally the non foaming bothers me.)
    Also, a dentist can prescribe an acid that burns them off. It hurts like crazy but they do go away. (Spray with Chloraseptic spray first to dull the pain.)

6. rsd says:

I have heard — and found it to be true — that if you have a disposition to getting them, chocolate can be a cause… Merry Christmas Adam.
    I seriously get mouth ulcers two times a year: Christmas and Easter. While most people celebrate those times by going to church, I have found that mouth-ulcers are very spiritual.

7. Fresh Girl says:

Oy, if I thought it would help, I’d shove every clock in the house in my mouth right now. I have one of those ulcers on my gums (did have one on my lip, too) and I can sympathize with him…they DO hurt. I suspect mine is from the many spicy and salty things I’ve eaten over the holidays.
    If I could just keep my tongue from wandering over there and POKING at it! πŸ˜‰ I hope Adam’s is gone soon!

8. Christy says:

You can also call the dr and ask for a prescription for liquid lidocaine. I keep a bottle in my cabinet for my never ending string of ulcers! I always get them after stressful events–this year has been a doozie!
    I have had these things all of my life. I have never really found anything to make them heal any faster, but the lidocaine really helps. Kaopectate and Benedryl helps too.

9. Nancy says:

If your kids are prone to mouth ulcers, AKA canker sores, try L-lysine you can get it over the counter but not sure what a kids dose would be. I have also used alum, its a spice but is very bitter, takes the hurt away… Kids are a riot, to cute

10. Elizabeth says:

Great kid is right! That-Man-I-Live-With was so impressed by the good manners of your boys today when they answered the door at your dad’s house. Kudos!

11. Lisa says:

I have found gly oxide works faster than other remedies….in dental section of pharmacy. don’t get generic wont work as well…I tried

12. Angela says:

I just put peroxide on a q-tip and rub it over the ulcer. My husband always just rinse and spits with the peroxide but I can’t stand the aftertaste. But when the pain is killing me a little on a q-tip works wonders!

13. Kristen M. says:

My parents tell the story of when I was a young missionary kid living in the jungle and I had terrible canker sores. I refused to eat for days. I finally broke my fast by eating grubs (yes, the wormy things which happened to be a local delicacy) and claimed that they cured my sores. Tell your son that story and he will probably decide that it is worth his while to be patient.

14. Laura says:

There’s an OTC medicine, kind of hard to find, called Tanac that really works for those things. The nurse at my high school would apply it when I had them back in the day, and we rushed out to buy it when it actually worked. We can only find it in a little small town mom and pop owned drug store, if you happen to have one nearby you can check there first.

15. Laura says:

I was curious, so I googled the medicine I mentioned above – you can order it online through these links:
    or
    There may be other places, too – but I was glad to know this, b/c the nearest mom and pop place to us is 2 hours away!
    Another product we love, called Foille (http://www.blistex.com/Foille.htm) is awesome for burns. It takes the sting right out of even steam burns (like when Mommy doesn’t think straight and pulls back a piece of plastic wrap off a microwave dish she steamed veggies in – ow ow ow!!!).

16. LeeAnn says:

I have to share! I have been prone to getting mouth ulcers too and had one over Christmas. (We call them cankers.) I recently read that food sensitivities can cause them, like chocolate—ouch, and that they are often cured by foods high in iron like spinach. So believe me, I was reaching for the spinach every day for about 4 days. It’s nearly gone now which is a record for me because they usually last at least 10 days to 2 full weeks. Orabase helps too, but I’ve never gotten rid of one so fast before! Don’t know if this makes a difference, but I just used frozen, packaged spinach.

17. amanda says:

He should soak his toothbrush in alcohol to make sure it’s nice and clean… and then brush his teeth with a tad of peroxide or alcohol… I use alcohol… it dries it up somehow, but burns like crazy!

18. Jynell says:

I second the Lysine pills. When we were first married, my hubby used to get them- and I mean 5 or 6 HUGE ones at a time- all the time. We didn’t know what caused it, but it was unbearable. He rinsed, gargled, & used this cream & that one, but nothing seemed to work. Some one told us about the lysine & we were ready to try anything, so I bought a bottle & he began taking them. Soon after that they began to heal & go away- but THEY DIDN’T COME BACK!! It really works!

19. Jynell says:

Forgot to say- added bonus of no yucky taste, burning, or messy concoctions to mix up… hopefully your son knows how to swallow pills though…

20. Half-Past Kissin' Time says:

I feel the poor kid’s pain! I knew when I was cramming those pineapple chunks in my mouth (for about 2o minutes) that I would have hell to pay later, and they did not disappoint. Poor little kid. The good news is, I’m sure he’s fine by now.

21. christie says:

funny post!
    Seriously, my son has them constantly (any acidic food causes them for him) and the dentist has us mix equal parts Maalox and Benadryl and dab on with a qtip. It works!