I’ll Have Three Scoops of Iowa Caucus On a Waffle Cone, Please

This morning I was listening to some political talk radio, and the boys asked me what I was listening to.  I explained it was big day for our country, sort of the official start of the presidential election.

(Let’s just pause for a moment of eye-rolling at the idea that the election is only just now starting, and let us wail and gnash and our teeth together at the thought of the lovely mud-slinging that lies ahead in the next ten months.  Anyway, back to the post.)

I went on to tell the boys that today is the Iowa caucus

"What’s an Iowa caucus?" Adam asked, but before I could answer, he said, "’because it kind of sounds like a bug."

"Or a flavor of ice cream," offered Stephen.

"Or maybe a new teen band," Adam continued.

Thus concludes your civics lesson for today, courtesy of the Dryer boys.  You Iowans get out there and do the rest of us proud.  And tell those politicians the rest of us said to play nice.

36 thoughts on “I’ll Have Three Scoops of Iowa Caucus On a Waffle Cone, Please

1. Anna says:

Haha… that’s so funny. I was watching Obama be interviewed on MSNBC this morning, and he said his kids probably cared more about Hannah Montana than about how he is doing in the race. Kids’ takes on things are so humorous.

2. Tricia says:

Yeah, we had a nice homeschooling moment when my kids asked me to explain this thing they call a caucus and I ran and hid.
    What the heck is a caucus? I agree with your boys, it sounds like a bug!

3. peppylady says:

I wasn’t sure what the different between a election and caucus. Until it was explain to me on the news.
    We don’t have caucus in Idaho. If we did I’m sure they would be cross burning in my yard.
    I can see where someone would think it yucky bug. I hope I don’t get it

4. Elizabeth says:

I’ll be there – first time causcuser (heh) – and it is VERY different than showing up at the voting booth. Will be interesting. I do hope Iowans get off our collective rears and CAUCUS!

5. TaderDoodles says:

I was thinking it sounded more like a virus…don’t catch the Iowa Caucus….
    or maybe a green veggie you don’t want to eat…
    you want me to eat Caucus again mom?

6. Melissa says:

LOL! I think I’ll stick with three scoops of peanut butter chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone and leave the politics to the experts and that isn’t me.

7. dee/reddirtramblings says:

I read this one out loud to Handsome Hubby. He needed a laugh. He’s trying to fill out the Office Depot rebates on the computer and printer we bought. It’s only taken three hours. Pray for him, please . . .

8. Jodi says:

Well, I won’t be caucusing because my husband is the temporary chair for our precinct and will have his hands full without his sick children there to raise a ruckus. The political education will have to wait for another year as we have apparently caught the Iowa Caucus bug here at our home and it causes sneezing, coughing, fever, and general grouchiness (the latter most strikingly affecting MOM).
    Let me just say on behalf of the entire state of Iowa that we will breathe a collective sigh of relief after tonight is over. It does liven up the cold winter days, but I think we’re ready to let the rest of the country take their turn dealing with the politics, politicians and their assorted hangers-on. πŸ™‚

9. Lauren says:

Caucus does sound like a disease. While part of me DOES want to hide in the closet with a blankie over my head, I’m also very anxious to know who’s gonna win. I can’t vote yet, but I’m rooting for Huckabee πŸ˜€

10. Melissa says:

Totally sounds like a disease. We’re still deciding things by the whole blindfolded, twenty paces, turn and fire thing here in Texas so it will be fun to see what the rest of the country does.

11. floorplan says:

woo-hoo. And then they come here for the first primary in little New Hampshire! We are daily interrupted by phone pollsters, doorstep pollsters, sign-planters…and one could see all the candidates at least monthly, if you wanted. My hubs had breakfast with Mike Huckabee at small event last month, and became a supporter after that.
    argh. Politics never quits in New Hampshire.
    deb meyers

12. denise says:

Oh my,,,,, did I love that or what… I am a political animal but I am not sure about this election….. I am like chocolatechic and want to coward in my closet……. I have great fear for this country but that is not faith.. so I pray.. but the gal from Texas sure has a point………..
    Happy New Year………

13. Kristin says:

As an Iowan, I am so glad we will get a respite from all the political ads and phone calls. Despite these annoyances, it is a unique experience and way to briefly spotlight our great state.

14. Cheri says:

Heh, we are such junkies around here…we listened to POTUS 08 (xm radio) all evening on our drive home from the ‘big city’ πŸ™‚

15. Pearl says:

I think it would be more effective as a bug!
    At least with bugs, they have sprays you can buy to get rid of them.
    πŸ™‚
    One in the Body~ Pearl

16. Maren says:

The Iowa Caucus was a great experience! Our precinct had 350 voters trying to cram inside a little classroom. It was a little chaotic for a bit, but it was so worth it to be there people. I encourage you to caucus in your state, this is about more then electing a future president it’s about standing up for what you beleive in and taking a stand for America. In addition to choosing a candidate we also discussed and passed particular platforms. 2 important platforms brought forth and passed in our precinct were to protect the defnition of marriage (one man, one woman) and unborn babies. This is our future people! Take a stand and be heard! Each vote does matter, just ask Mike. Shannon- your Huckabee button is gone?? 😦

17. Marianne says:

I hate the mudslinging…wish they could all just agree to rise above it for one election.
    And, gotta laugh about how quick Mitt Romney was to point out the his campaign isn’t doing, “attack” ads, but, “contrast” ads. Riiiiight….
    A put down is a put down, no matter whatcha call it.

18. Courtney says:

Maren~
    I think she just switched Huckabee buttons a while back or moved him, something’s different. He’s over on the right side playing his guitar. No worries! πŸ™‚

19. Elizabeth says:

The caucus – (which is actually thought to be an Algonquin term – referring to the gathering of Tribal Chiefs) was an enlightening experience. More dems than reps. showed up – and MANY young voters (woot). I personally am pleased with the democratic choice, I like Huckabee (did not vote for him though) – for like issues, but do not think he has what it takes – monetarily or foreign policy experience to make it. BUT, I do believe in miracles – so one never knows…

20. Insignificant Woman says:

Don’t you just love the really tough questions kids ask and the observations they make? In the past few months alone I’ve had to explain Santa, the birds and bees, why some medicines change the color of urine, the word neutered and most recently my seven year old son’s inquiry into why he can’t have his best friend who is a girl sleep overnight at our house. My head really hurts. Do you have any Advil in that organized medicine closet of yours?

21. jen says:

For the last few months I have been very glad to be living anywhere other than Iowa and New Hampshire. But now it begins…this is why TiVo exists. And the off button.

22. Lauren says:

Say it with me now, ladies!
    Huck, Huck, he’s our man/ if he can’t do it, no one can!!!!!!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Jodi W says:

for anyone interested – you can read MY caucus experience here:
    We catch a lot of grief for being primarily old & white here…but I assure you that was NOT what it looked like at my caucus site. My caucus site looked like a wonderful cross-section of America…old, young, white, black, hispanic, asian, rich, poor, former Republicans, Democrats, students, men, women….it was wonderful. We Iowans take our caucusing VERY seriously…I know the status of “first” is coveted…but rest assured…we give it a LOT of thought. And please for the love of God…I hope everyone knows that Iowa is SOOO much more than corn and hogs and old white people. =-)

24. Heth says:

I live in Iowa and I didn’t go. *blush* But I AM excited that all the ads and phone calls will quit for awhile. It’s been ridiculous.

25. Jill says:

I grew up in Iowa, but went away to college when I was 18 so never got to experience this grand tradition. Never in my life have I been all that proud to be an Iowan…until today. Yeah Mike!!!!

26. voni says:

The last time I went to a caucus there was 12 people there. Yesterday A walked into a room of over 600 people. I think we the people have something to say!!