*UPDATED* Three Is Shaping Up To Be a Very Long Year

Nesquick

*UPDATED TO ADD*

I absolutely adore this daughter of mine to very core of my being.  Her little scrunched-up nose makes my heart melt, and her songs and dances light up every corner of this house.

But.

Not six hours after I published the above picture, my little darlin’ flushed her pajama bottoms and panties down the toilet.  Because, she said, "I don’t want pwincess panties.  I want Awiel panties."  And you can imagine what the pajama bottoms and pwincess panties did to our plumbing.  If you can’t imagine, I will tell you that it involves three flooded rooms, about twenty soaked towels, an $88 plumbing bill and one very amused plumber.  And also one very amused momma who just thinks this whole thing is absolutely, delightfully precious and is not at all irritated or furious or ready to put her child in a strait jacket for the rest of the day.

Please, dear Lord, do not let there be yet another update to this post.

117 thoughts on “*UPDATED* Three Is Shaping Up To Be a Very Long Year

1. Steff says:

Hey Shannon,
    I remember that mess…only mine occurred in the backseat of my blazer and my lovely boys didnt think that was bad enough by itself so they compounded it by having a fight with a bug juice fight. Bless your heart that is soooo not fun to clean up.
    I got to clean up most of it at the Quick Trip just off I-44 on the East side of Tulsa coming home from OKC.
    ughhhh ugghhhh ugghhhh….
    Steff

2. Makeshift Mama says:

Ooooh, nice! I was visiting my cousin today, and she has a 3-year-old. The little stinker spent her naptime smearing lotion all over her mom’s sheets, comforter, and pillow. And she was so smug about it, too! Oh, man, another year and that’ll be my daughter…

3. Ashleigh says:

I took a picture this morning of my nearly-two-year old with pink-ish-brown all over his lips, cheeks and chin. Apparently he’d decided Mama’s blush looked yummy… at least it would appear so by the way he was licking his chops and saying “Mmmm…”

4. stacy says:

Been there, except at our house it was salt and milk, it makes a lovely and yet painful paste, done MINUTES before I had to leave for Bible study.

5. pam says:

So been there, too, Shannon. No one can convince me it’s the “terrible two’s”. It was the “trying three’s” for me each and every time.

6. Antique Mommy says:

Had a similar incident with cinnamon and sugar at our house early on in “three”. Still finding cinnamon and suger here and there. Even at that, three was magically delicious – just like Lucky Charms – and I’d like to do it all over again.

7. Lysa TerKeurst says:

Yes, yes, yes- a mess, mess, mess!
    When my daughter was this same age she decided to turn her room into heaven. She puffed and poffed a whole container of baby powder up and around and in and on- all over. Let’s just say the song in my house that day was, “Mommas we have heard on high”- not angels.

8. Beth@sportsmomma says:

Oh joy!! My pediatrician told us this:
    “It’s not call the terrible twos because they are two years old-it’s because it LASTS AT LEAST TWO YEARS!!!!” I swear it’s true!! Good Luck!!! LOL

9. Bailey's Leaf says:

We just placed our feet into year 4. Boy, as much as I love my little girl, I was not sad to see the year of three melt away a bit. Good luck with that!

10. Mommy says:

My elder sister did this with flour all over my infant body. I don’t remember, but I’ve seen the pictures. I’m sure I’m subconciously scarred somehow.

11. Dana says:

matches her dress…trying to look at the positive πŸ™‚
    I think the really funny thing is you did just what I would have done (the sign of a true blogger!!!)…instead of rushing to clean it up, you rushed to grab the camera to post it!!!!
    Have a great day Shannon….thinking about you this morning given the results of the Iowa Caucus. Go Mike!!!

12. Marian says:

Chocolate! See? She’s MAKING GOOD CHOICES! Way to go, Mom! (At least you have taht Dyson.)
    Three is so fun, and so messy, and so whiny. My three year old just had a little pink nail polish episode. For her age, she did a decent job on the finger and toe nails, but then, of course they were wet, and wet spreads. She knew this was not good. She put HERSELF to bed, tryig to hide it. When I came in anyway, she just looked up at me with her cute little pink -smeared face with an expression that said, “Ohhhh, I am sooo humiliated and in such trouble.” I couldn’t help but laugh.
    Incidentally,in case you ever wondered, nail polish remover, if used sparingly, actually does not take the finish off of linoleum floors, porcelin sinks and toilets…

13. Dee/reddirtramblings says:

Three is very hard, especially 3 1/2 to four. They argue with more words, and it is more difficult to divert them. Hang in there. Four is like a lamb. Five too. Now, six, that’s another story. πŸ™‚

14. Marianne Thomas says:

Can we all say Swiffer Vac?
    My worst: 5 lbs of sugar dumped on the floor by my 2yo son when I was 5 mo. preggers with #3…and, just about 5 minutes before I needed to load #1 and #2 into the van to make preschool dropoff.
    Timing is everything ;).

15. Megan says:

But did it make her bath smell like strawberries? My youngest glued her eyelid to her forehead when she was between that 2-3 age. That was fun.

16. witchypoo says:

Yes, pity at that age they have the motor skills to climb atop the counter, root out goodies in cupboards, but somehow, they’re suddenly “too little” to clean up their messes. I taught Ass Burger Boy early on, and in a very matter of fact manner, what the procedure was when there was a spill or such, and he just took it as a matter of course.
    “oh, a spill” “This is what we do”
    Works like a charm. And you have to be very sneaky if you feel the need to correct their cleanup job.

17. janet says:

maybe it’s different with girls but with each of my boys age 4 was the most challenging. I wanted to say worst but, really, it all shapes each of us, children included, right?! Take a photo so you don’t forget.

18. Ladybug Crossing says:

My sister’s three year old stunt was to vaseline the walls and doors in the basement playroom. She had a LOT of vaseline as my mother only bought the biggest tub they made…
    Another of her stunts was to write with ball point pen all over the new white leather couch…
    #1’s stunt was to cut off all of LLB’s curls… yes, all of them.
    I feel your pain.

19. Stephanie says:

Hang in there…four will be here before you can blink.
    With my daughter it was the sugar and the butter. She ate butter right out of the container and really enjoyed smearing it all over the counters.

20. Insignificant Woman says:

I don’t want to scare you but this might not be about being three. My dear hubby affectionately refers to our poor 9 year old daughter as Clutzy McClutterson because that kind of thing happens to her all the time. Good luck!

21. Gretchen says:

I feel your pain. We can’t get through a meal without a spill. And…let’s just say, I can always tell when my 11 ds has been in the pantry for a snack.

22. Susan G. says:

Moments like this with my 3 year old leave me muttering, “its a good thing she’s cute… its a good thing she’s cute…”.

23. Shannon - For This Season says:

I am soooooooo glad I’m not the only one. My 6-year-old basically yanked a non-loose tooth out of his mouth last night with a sucker. Thankfully, my SIL is his dentist!!!
    Also, have to say, I love you Huckabee button!!! I’m a Hog Fan from Arkansas also (with the name of Shannon, too) – who absolutely loves Mike Huckabee!! Always happy to see it on your blog!
    I’ll check later for additional posts (hope not!) πŸ˜‰

24. jenny says:

Oh my stars! I sure hope you don’t have to update this again… unless it’s to show us a picture of a little sleeping sweetheart. Because all of us mothers know that they are angels when they’re sleeping!

25. Brandi says:

Oh my goodness, some of your stories remind me of the stories Jean Stockdale, my old MOMS leader, used to tell about her boys!! I used to go to Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN.
    And how do have time to blog after an episode like that?? πŸ™‚

26. Molly says:

You go, girl…enjoy that chocolate! Oh, wait, I guess I should be cheering on the mom NOT the ornery daughter! Sorry! Try to find the humor in it, mom! As a mom of 3 adventurous daughters (and now one son), I beg to differ when people tell me that boys are harder to raise than girls! Ha! Our girls could hold their own with just about any boy…especially #3! πŸ™‚ Just make sure you keep record of all these adventures for your future book! πŸ™‚ Anybody for some chocolate milk?!?! πŸ™‚

27. Crystal Ward says:

Are you sure that is not my kitchen counter. I too have a 3 years old daughter. Love her to pieces, but sometimes I could literally love her to PIECES!!! Being a mommy is so much fun though really. My 2 year old son just adds to the excitement. But I would take nothing for them. They are the joy of my life. But this picture was so like my house. Good luck with the plumming!!

28. Crystal Ward says:

29. Jodi W says:

When my oldest was three (the other two aren’t there yet) I wanted to kill myself..or her…or someone anyway. I invented the concept back then for pediatric Midol….and I still believe firmly there is a 3-yr-old market for it! Hang in there…4 is SOOOOO much better. =-)

30. Mira says:

Bless you to bits. It takes a lot of mommyness to not drag out the straightjacket. Sympathizing and glad mine are past that stage…yours will be too one day.

31. kelly says:

oh dear! it’s always fun to read posts like this, when they are on someone else’s blog, invloving children other than mine. at least i know i’m not the only one. thanks for sharing, it put a smile on face, has infuriating as it must be for you.

32. Bailey's Leaf says:

Oh again, I’m sorry. Ours didn’t involve adventures in plumbing, but we did corner the market on public breakdowns. A special time really, when strangers look at you like you are insane because you really did hold the promise to give your child a time out in the middle of the cashout lane. Deep breath in, my friend. Deep breath out.

33. Veggiemomof2 says:

Imagine the look on my face when my DH carried the toilet through the living room on his way out the door after our son flushed an entire box of q-tips. Do you KNOW how big those things swell up to be???

34. Lora Lynn says:

I hear ya, sister. Twins at two with the potty-training and all nearly drove me nuts. But three just may kill me. Here’s hoping that four shows just a glimmer of hope for these poor depraved insane souls!

35. Heidi says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since it was your kid, it is funny. But my kid, holy cow. Keep laughing it will hurt less.

36. Queen B says:

Wow. That’s bad. I say this as your friend and with all the care and concern in the world: Three was the worst year of my life. No question. Three stunk. The whole year of three. From the third birthday until the fourth. Stunk.

37. Nicki says:

Yeah, the terrible twos are bad, but the treacherous threes are a whole lot worse! I am right there with you. I understand completely. Good luck!

38. The Thrifty Blogger says:

You just gotta love kids and the way they think. Yesterday I found my grandaughter had taken the scissors and cut strips out of the couch cover. She thought it looked better. She’s four! When I first looked at it, my first thought was, “gee I think it’s time I got another cover, this one is really wearing out.” Then she saw me looking at it and volunteered, “I cut it with the scissors.” lol omg, you just can’t be mad because it’s just too cute! πŸ™‚

39. Gego says:

Forgiveness cleanses the soul and saves the child. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have Hubs to brag about. Oh, the tales I could tell…….
    Many,many blessings for you and your crew that can later be told to betroths. Love y’all bunches, Gego

40. Kellyn says:

I remember the threes. So much fun, and they just started. At three my little one decided to swim in the kitchen sink. Remember to be patient and it will be over soon.

41. Emily says:

Oh, poor Shannon! What a day!
    You know, I took a picture the other day when my youngest made a huge mess, entirely for the purpose of posting it on my blog and (eventually) being able to laugh at it. Sometimes blogging is good for the mommy-sanity. πŸ™‚

42. denise says:

My two sons decided to see how many rolls of TP it would take to soak up all the water in the toilet…… I think I dipped out 14 or so……that was 30 + years ago and I still laugh out loud…ahahahah Got to love these little people…..

43. TammiK says:

It really isn’t difficult to take up a toilet and clear an obstruction. Icky but not difficult. (I’m sure my DH would be happy to email instuctions. He’s had a wealth of experience.)
    Just tell DH to lay in a supply of wax rings and you’re all set for next time. (And, in my experience, there is ALWAYS a next time!)

44. Mel says:

Well, what little girl wouldn’t want Awiel panties!!!!
    And what a great story for her teenage years!!!
    I just found yesterday a number of unworm pairs of panties in the wash basket because she only wanted Dorothy panties (as in Dorothy the Dinosaur from The Wiggles).
    Mel

45. Lucy says:

That is too funny! But only because I’m reading about it. Fortunately, mine never did anything like that. I just have one more coming up the pike – he just turned 2 and I can see something like this in his future. My daughter, when she was 2, painted with red nail polish all over her mouth. I took pictures, too.
    Blessings! Someday she’ll be four. That’s how old my daughter is now and it’s a very fun age. Really!

46. Sonja says:

my darling used to within 20 seconds reach the fridge and open the door, pull out the eggs and break all 6 in a nice neat row on my floor..and when eggs were not available(or had already surcumbed to their row of floor fate earlier that day) she would use the milk or cordial or any other fluid and open and..pour…and then look with an oooooo. its funny now but it was not at the time, they grow up … its only one day of adventure

47. Jean Stockdale says:

Oh God love you! These are the moments tha make you know that mothering is not for sissies! Trust me when I tell you this will one day be very funny. Thanks for being willing to share the reality of life with kiddos! You make us all proud. Blessings.

48. Beth@sportsmomma says:

“Please, dear Lord, do not let there be yet another update to this post.”
    Maybe we should all pray:
    Dear Lord- please let this precious child see her FOURTH birthday!!!
    LOL

49. Cathy says:

Are you sure our daughters weren’t separated at birth? I have the other 3 YO daughter who has done just about everything but this, and we live in OK as well!

50. Chris says:

I have the same three year old living in my house except “he” decided not to flush his “Go Diego” pull ups, but instead cut his cute blonde curls to the point that now he is almost bald. Fun times ahead!!!!

51. peppylady says:

I thought there was going to be days that men in the white coats was coming to get me and put me in a straight jacket when my boys was young.

52. Tara Robertson says:

My son did the same thing except with an entire can of formula powder. He was 18 months old at the time. My other son was 1 month old. My husband found me sitting on the kitchen floor, nursing my newborn and crying while my other son played in the formula pile.
    Oh ya. Good memories all around.

53. Susan says:

Reminds me of our youngest at three…when the plumber pulled out 20 (TWENTY) Hot Wheels cars out of the tub drain.
    We had told our little one the tub drains out of the house, thru the yard and to the street. Yup…there he was standing at the curb, waiting for them to come out.
    Loved that age!

54. Infinity Goods says:

Your daughter did a good dead … for the plumber’s family that is! Today I came by for another reason though. My neighbor friend at 4URPets just got tagged by Gina and now I’ve been tagged too! 4URPets is a new blogger with a great sense of humor, so although I don’t care for tags, I couldn’t possibly say no to this one, and in honor of her three Chihuahuas and pet blog, I’m tagging people who recently came by my blog and who have posted about their pets. This is by no means an obligation, as these tags can sometimes be downright bothersome, but if you want to participate, then you can.
    Β· Robin at Around The Island, whose children are pictured riding a camel;
    Β· Playful Professional at Talent To Play will run a half-marathon for a kitten;
    Β· Nicholas at A Gentleman’s Domain, who tells his cats he loves them;
    Β· Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer whose beloved rat recently passed;
    Β· SJ at Pink Flamingo, who has a blessed 6-inch kitten;
    Β· Sarah at Puss Reboots photographs cats.

55. Tara says:

When he was three and I was pregnant *out to here* my oldest flushed a juice box down the toilet. They don’t flush. We ended up taking out the toilet, putting in a new one and painting the entire bathroom while we were at it (since behind the toilet is the hardest place to paint and we had it out and all). Sigh.

56. Sue says:

Oh dear. I’m not sure what might make you feel better. Um. Well.
    At least you don’t have typhoid.
    Does that help?

57. Pearl says:

*lol* Holy moly…. if you can still smile after all that, you’re MUCH more of a mom than I. πŸ™‚
    God bless you in 2008 (a whole bunch!)~ Pearl

58. jocomom says:

My son once threw a knock down screaming fit in Target when I wouldn’t buy him Dora panties. He was 3 then and now all of a sudden he’s 5. That picture just gave me something to look forward to with my daughter, though…

59. Marianne says:

Ok, I’m realllly trying not to laugh too hard because I can honestly put myself in your shoes and imagine discovering such a nightmare of a mess in my house.
    But omgosh! This is one of those stories to drag out when the teenage years come knocking and you need to serve up a bit of humble pie!
    Three with a chickadee girly is challenging; I think it has to do with some female brain-wiring combo of earlier language skills/emotional highs and lows/dramatic tantrums. Whatever – all I know is I didn’t know if I’d survive it without my heart breaking. Then she hit the 3 1/2 point and came out of the me, mine, ME, MINE, screaming fog we’d all endured for the past six months.
    Now she’s 6 1/2 and just amazing. I could brag on her, but that’s blog fodder!
    Hang in there!

60. Shauna says:

That’s happened to the Nesquik at our house before, too. I have also had quite a few hits on my blog for people searching for the phrase “how to get chocolate syrup out of carpet” … I’m afraid I disappointed them, though, as I don’t know either.

61. Beth says:

Thanks for sharing your story. May the Lord give you much grace! I have a 2-year-old who does things like this (no commentary from her yet, though). Guess I have something to look forward to when she’s 3.
    On the bright side, if you ever decide to change the name of your blog, perhaps you can use ‘pj’s in my potty’ or ‘pwincess panties in my potty.’ what do you think? πŸ™‚