The Most Amazing Thing Has Happened

I was working in the garage this morning, and I saw a little mouse scurry across the floor.  In the old days, before our current adventure in which my heart is being softened toward rodents, I would have jumped up on a stool and screamed and thrown things.

But I’ll be darned if I didn’t follow the little guy.  I even thought his squeaks were cute.  There was no screaming, no adrenaline rushes of terror.  I mean, I didn’t feel tempted to touch it, but at least I didn’t want to whack it with a shovel.

I’m growing as a person, y’all.

It’s the little things.

41 thoughts on “The Most Amazing Thing Has Happened

1. amanda says:

I was mainly writing to help you with your fears of flying, because I have them, too. I just thought it so interesting that you posted about becoming unafraid of something in the same day you posted being a very fearful person. Interesting.
    On a looong flight, just keep thinking that you’re at home, settle in, and try to enjoy it or forget it; that’s the best I can offer. When you get high enough (in the air!) that your ears and tummy have settled enough (and they will) you will not remember that you’re flying, save the obvious things like not being in a bed. Just pretend you’re at home or in a hotel on ground, and that’s how you will feel. Steady, calm, and–God willing–able to relax. It’s really not bad on transcontinental flights; the intercontinental ones are far less enjoyable. Like I said, I hate flying, but long flights like this are somewhat comfy to me, because you almost forget where you are. And if you’re off to do something wonderful somewhere, then that’s just a bonus. Best to you.

2. Donna W says:

Here’s hoping you still enjoy the little varmint when you find mouse-poop in everything. Sorry, I live in the country, and it’s a constant fight to keep mice from taking over.

3. Stacey says:

It’s great that you have seen growth….but I could help myself…”jump on a school”- wow you either have an amazing vertical, or we are talking about a little tiny rat school.
    Either way.
    πŸ™‚

4. Nancy says:

I too, wouldn’t whack it with a shovel, but I would make sure it was scooted away from the ability to make it into my home, no “wild” pets, =)

5. Ronnica says:

I just posted about my recent affections for a spider. Though I was using him as an illustration of sin, so maybe my feelings haven’t changed THAT much.

6. Heather says:

I had such a love/hate thing with the mouse problem we had in our last home. I hated them for being germy, noisy, disgusting pests.
    I made Mr. Heather deal with the traps and such because even though they are germy and unhygenic, I still find the little bug-eyed beasts cute.

7. Antique Mommy says:

What kind of “school” are you running in your garage? KIDDING. Don’t you love it when others point out your typos? Yeah, me neither.
    I could never whack-a-mouse with a shovel only because of the thought of, you know, clean up.

8. Laura says:

Sounds like an interesting start to a Tuesday – I can remember living in the ‘country’ and coming across my first mouse and DH telling me just be glad it was a little mouse and not a field mouse – after that – the garage door had to stay shut unless we were parking the car or leaving the house πŸ™‚
    Love your blog!

9. Beth Ingersoll says:

Not me, sister! I’m still doing the cartoon-woman jump up on a stool and scream thing.
    Well, usually. We did have this one teeny-tiny mouse that I would see in our living room when I got up at night with my youngest son for a feeding. It jumped, and I mean like “boing-boing-boing” jumping. It was cute, boinging across the floor! But that’s the only mouse I ever liked.

10. Laura says:

You are such a big girl!! Way to go! I’m thinking after your trip, you will be amazed at what won’t send you running and squealing.

11. LeeAnn says:

Ahhh… The power of a pet rat. Maybe I should consider letting my kids get a pet tarantula to help me get over my fear/dislike of spiders?
    What am I thinking? That’s just crazy talk! Good for you though!

12. Nicole says:

Oh, I hope to one day be as grown-up about rodents as you are. Although, I’m not sure I’m willing to have a pet rat to assist in my personal growth!

13. Pearl says:

*lol*
    Yeah, animals are people too! πŸ˜€
    I’m an “animal person”… hopelessly so. Oh well… it takes all kinds.
    God bless~ Pearl

14. Gretchen says:

Sounds like me and snakes. We have tons of them in our yard during the summer–all garter snakes–and I think I’ll let them live. Because they take care of the rodents. πŸ˜‰

15. Reynie says:

I’m always skiddish of those little fellows but I can’t even think of the mouse trap. I wish there was a way just to convince them to stay outside!

16. Heidi says:

Then I won’t tell you about the time that my husband was out trimming the lawn and saw a little vole (like a mouse/rat combo), and sent it flying through the air with the weed whacker.
    Oh, no, I won’t tell you about that time.

17. lomagirl says:

Ummm. No adrenalie rushes? No screams of terror? Don’t forget, you weren’t the only participant in this little scenario. I think Ms. Mouse was probably squeaking in terror and her adrenaline was through the roof!

18. Mommy, the Human Napkin says:

I will never be able to look at a mouse without wanting to shoot it with my BB gun or bludgeon it to death with the first available object in reach. Shoes, the remote control, a book, a cookie sheet… I’ve used them all. The cookie sheet was quite odd, I have to say, although strangely satisfying. I hate mice, but they seem to love our house. It is a never-ending war out here in the country.

19. Lisa says:

LOL! A kind young worker at the animal shelter tried to convince us to get a rat. “They’re great pets,” she said. And I knew of at least one other person (you) that said the same thing. But, I gotta tell, ya, I just wasn’t ready to take the plunge yet. So we got a mouse (Frodo)~ and now I feel very different about the scurrying around in my cellar. Who knows? Maybe a rat is next…

20. Karen says:

I totally understand. I always feel a pang of guilt when I have to set a mousetrap. Now, snakes? I can kill a snake and dance around its body.

21. Heidi says:

Saw the movie Ratatouille, didn’t you!? It would make me curious to follow a rodent to find out if he is hangin’ with his peeps, dancin’ and cookin’…you know, rodent stuff! ha! Love your posts!