Banner_1I do not generally enjoy public speaking.  I can do it, in a pinch, but I feel very breathless and clammy and generally un-brilliant.  In fact, the only thing I dislike more than public speaking is flying in an airplane.  So when I tell you what I’m about to tell you, you’ll understand why 2008 is shaping up to be my year of phobia tackling (what’s next?  Scuba diving in a pool of snakes while eating oysters and wearing skinny jeans?).

In June I’m going to be a speaker at She Speaks, the annual speaking/writing/women’s ministry conference hosted by Proverbs 31 Ministries.  It’s in Concord, North Carolina (outside Charlotte), the weekend of June 20-22.

Did you catch that?  I’m speaking.  In front of people.  Who are all looking at me.  At the same time.  Thankfully, I’ll be doing this with Melanie and Sophie.  And we’ll be teaching a couple of classes on blogging (a subject that gets me so pumped up and chatty I might forget I’m scared).

In addition to the blogging classes, She Speaks offers a "track" for the publishing, speaking and women’s ministry fields.  They have an impressive line-up of Christian publishers scheduled to be there, and the entire conference has a strong reputation as productive, well-run and chock full of information (and inspiration!) for women.

So, want to come along?  I wish you would.  They’ve promised plenty of time set aside to chat and play with bloggy friends, in addition to all the learning and networking and growing.  More details are available here, and there’s a chance to win a conference scholarship here

And while I promise that Sophie, Melanie and I will be all studied up and ready to address anything you ever wanted to know about blogging, if we run out of material we’re totally doing this.  You wouldn’t want to miss that, would you?

39 thoughts on “After Wrestling Lions and Surviving Plane Crashes, Public Speaking Should Be a Breeze

1. mom2fur says:

Skinny jeans…now there’s something to really be paranoid about! What evil mind brought those back again, LOL?
    I haven’t spoken in front of a group in several years, but it made me nervous, too. The best thing to remember is that everyone in the audience wants to like you–and that you know things they don’t know. You’ll do great, I’m sure!
    Then again, you could always do the ‘imagine them nekkid’ trick–or even better, imagine the whole audience wearing skinny jeans!

2. chewymom says:

Oh my goodness, if you are HALF as funny as Steve, Martin, and Chevy, that would be worth seeing! And judging from your blogs, you are!
    Glad you’re getting a chance to face your fears this year…to the benefit of a whole lot of people, I might add.

3. Jenni says:

That is so cool, Shannon! Now you KNOW you’ll be just fine in Africa, and you’ll come back safely because, nevermind your kids and husband, you have to get to that speaking engagement, right?
    Wish I could come, but newborns and conferences, in my experience, don’t mix well. I’ll be rooting for you in spirit, though!

4. Kelly says:

Hopefully th crowd in N.Carolina won’t be nearly as scarey. You are going to be in my new stomping ground. (Can you find some new friends for me??) I know you’ll do great.

5. floorplan says:

HEY! We were trying to find 3 Amigos to rent this weekend but nary a one in Concord, NH. This may get us to join Netflix yet…
    I have been praying for you and yesterday’s family devos, in Proverbs, this jumped out just for Shannon the Ocean-Crosser:
    Prov 28:27
    He who gives to the poor will not lack,
    But he who hides his eyes will have many curses.
    deb meyers

6. MaryLu says:

What fun! Though I won’t be able to attend, I’m excited for you and hope you will keep us posted on how things progress.
    Maybe that scuba diving trip is next, you know God DOES have a sense of humor!

7. Jai says:

Funny! Funny! If you promise to sing Little Buttercup, I will come! (SMILE)
    You will do just fine!!! God WILL be there and He will be with you.

8. Liz says:

Hi Shannon,
    We met at BlogHer, last year – and you were very personable then, too – I’ve been an admirer of yours for a long time. What an exciting (albeit, nerve-wracking) year you have ahead of you. Delurking to to wish you the best of luck!

9. Jean Stockdale says:

Seriously, this is just too exciting for words. The Lord is enlarging your borders within and without the United States. I cannot wait to hear all about this! Blessings.

10. Dee/reddirtramblings says:

I know you don’t truly know me, but I am so proud of you. I don’t like to speak in front of people either. I so get it, but God really does challenge us to do things we’d rather not do. I sent in a query to write an article about gluten intolerance and my church (Catholic) for our state newspaper. It took me six months to get the courage to even write the editor. He said “yes.” So, now I have to write the darn thing.
    I’ll be praying for you all.~~Dee

11. Jen says:

HA HA HA, anything but SKINNY JEANS! Sounds like a wonderful weekend, and if I didn’t have to go to afamily reunion, I’d love to come! Hope it goes well, I know you 3 will be a hit!

12. Kris says:

I don’t know about everyone else, but I think you convinced me. I’m coming just to see your rendition of “My Little Buttercup”!

13. Am says:

You really made me laugh with the skinny jeans comment. Ha! Way to tackle something that you are so scared of. I am tackling sewing and start taking a class tomorrow. I am scared of my sewing machine, but may I can overcome it and sew you some skinny jeans.
    Congrats on your speaking engagement!!

14. Mary says:

For what it’s worth, the NC natives are friendly and polite. Can’t say for sure about the the latecomers but then, I’m from near Asheville which is becoming the SF of the South, so they tell me. By the way, I’m a latecomer. We’ve only been here 20 years! =>) I’m sure you will do fine. Congratulations!

15. Beth@sportsmomma says:

I am SSSOO bummed! I live about 45 min. away but will be leaving on vacation the day it starts! Dag nab it! I would have LOVED to have been there to hear you ladies speak and to attend the entire conference!! I’m missing the Deeper Still Conference in Atlanta because of vacation too. Is the the devil at work!?

16. Alana says:

What a wonderful opportunity and experience for everyone involved. By June it might be time for a road trip for mom but not too sure about an infant! You’ll do great!

17. Julie says:

I commented to Sophie yesterday I was praying about attending this conference. (My husband said, “Go for it!”)
    But now that I know you’re singin’ an old Steve Martin favorite, wild horses could not keep me away.
    Looking forward to seeing you there, Shannon!
    Julie @ A Joyful Life

18. Robin says:

I REEEALLY wanna go; I read about it last night. It would be heading “back home” for me (we used to live close to Charlotte), but I don’t really know bloggers who’d be going.
    Maybe I can start working on that between now and then….
    I remember when Lysa’s newsletter was a folksy, hometown thing…so thrilled for her success…God has used one small voice to minister to MANY!
    You’ll do GREAT! And…how cool would it be to MEET you???
    Uber-cool, thankyewverymuch! šŸ™‚

19. HolyMama! says:

you’ll be fantastic. no one will ever notice if you’re nervous. really!
    (i laughed all through that post after the words ‘skinny jeans.’ those should just be blown off the planet.)

20. Liza's Eyeview says:

Oh definitely wouldn’t want to miss THAT (the last this … )
    Oh I wish I can go. I’m joining the “contest” for scholarship… it’s the only way for me to be able to go…