These Are the Things I Think About When I Should Be Working

1.  I wonder how far you can stretch the limits of Mr. Linky before smoke starts blowing out the sides?

2.  Should you tip the car hop at Sonic?

3.  I hope I look like Cindy McCain when I’m 53.  Heck, I hope I look like Cindy McCain tomorrow.

4.  Is there really–really–any good reason to spend more than 99 cents on a toothbrush?

5.  I wonder if I was too harsh yesterday when I told a certain child of mine that if he rolled his eyes at me again I would remove them from his head

6.  I wonder if political candidates get tired of saying the exact same sentences over and over?  And over?

7.  I think that Yo Gabba Gabba has easily squeezed out Doodlebops and Teletubbies as Most Obnoxious Preschool Show In History.

8.  Tonight is the premiere of LostSqueeeal!  I’m totally posting on it tomorrow.

9.  Six-year-old Stephen just asked me how many cups of sugar it takes to get to the moon.  Hm.  I’m going to be working on that one all day….

Posted in: Fun

91 thoughts on “These Are the Things I Think About When I Should Be Working

1. Sincerely Anna says:

Are you kidding me? They’ve come up with something even more annoying than both Doodlebops and Teletubbies? I’ve been out of the loop on this one but can I just say, praise the Lord?
    Can’t wait to read your thoughts about LOST!
    Oh, and loved the Blogging Basics 101 podcast. Here, here.

2. jennielynn says:

Yes, it is. I personally would compare it to dropping acid while at Ikea, not that I have ever done anything like that. I’ve actually managed to keep my brood from watching it, but my husband thinks that the DJ from the show is the coolest thing ever. Life lessons with a beat? Try a beat down.

3. kelli says:

Is it just me … or was it near impossible to both read the running writer’s commentary and the dialogue at the same time.
    Pass the Tylenol.

4. Carrie says:

For #2: YES!!! πŸ™‚
    I’m an asst. manager at Sonic, but started car hopping. The car hops depend on their tips since they are only making $3.90/hr (like a server at a restaurant).
    #7: That show just scares me…my boys (2.5 & 4) don’t even know it exists. πŸ™‚
    I just found your blog and love it. Thanks! πŸ™‚

5. Mama Steff says:

Answer to #5. No you were not too harsh. If he is half the eye roller the fruit of my loins is, he TOTALLY deserved it. I might add, “with a grapefruit spoon” next time though. Just a thought.

6. Nakisha says:

I have yet to watch that show and refuse to let it play. Doodlebops I can handle, in small dose’s. There’s just something about that guy in a jumpsuit, he reminds of Roger from “What’s Happening”. Oops did I just age myself? lol

7. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Loved the podcast, any plans for more?…please?
    There is something worse than Teletubbies and Doodlebops? Whatever it is, it has yet to reach the shores of Ireland. Hopefully my son will be past those programmes before it reaches us.

8. Amanda - VintageDutchGirl says:

#4 – Toothbrush
    What can I say? I’m a pro-dental health kinda gal, electric toothbrush all the way, bye bye cavities!!! (No more needles in the gums thankyouverymuch.) I’m not needle phobic, I just don’t LIKE needles very much πŸ™‚

9. Beth_C says:

My kids do not like Yo Gabba Gabba and they despise the Doodlebops;however, they won’t ask for the Teletubbies but if they ever happened by the tv and it were on they always stop to watch it.
    I think they use hypnosis to draw the kids in!

10. Multi-Tasking Mommy says:

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
    LOST–can’t wait!!!!
    I think this year, I’m particularly excited because first of all, it’s been soooo….long and secondly, nothing good has been on tv since the writer’s strike!

11. Heidi says:

I totally agree that Ya Gabba Gabba is now the worst childrens’ show. It really makes me seriously think about dropping cable, just so there’s no way we can ever watch it again!

12. pam says:

#1 — Apparently, pretty dad gum far . . .
    #2 — No, not unless they bring you the best Cherry Limeade known to man. Then, I tip. Usually I don’t have the extra change or I am trying to divvy up the orders and forget.
    #3 — Me, too, sista, me, too.
    #4 — Where are you finding good ones for 99 cents anyway?
    #5 — His can go sit with the eyes of my oldest. I just usually tell her that hers are going to stay that way if she keeps rolling them back in her head like that.
    #7 — “Yo Gabba” Hunh? No preschoolers here anymore : (
    I think these things are great alternatives to thinking about and being fretful over leaving for Africa. Praying still, dear friend.

13. Robin (the pensieve one) says:

Funny, Shannon, the whole lot of it :).
    Re: the harshness and that rolling eyes thing…I used to tell my kids I was gonna take a baseball bat to their heads for whatever. Now THAT sounds WRETCHED, except in context, they knew it meant I was gonna get a holt to them if they misbehaved. They KNEW I’m a mistress of hyperbole I guess.
    Thank goodness…otherwise, just for saying that kinda thing I coulda been hauled off to DSS :/.

14. Jamie (BlondeMomBlog) says:

Cindy McCain is gorgeous. Seriously.
    We have yet to even watch Yo Gabba Gabba, thank goodness, but I just wrote about the perils of old My Little Pony DVDs. In a word, HORRIFIC.
    Now I’m craving Sonic. πŸ˜‰
    And I’ve wondered the same thing about tipping.

15. Coralie says:

Wow, I’ve always wondered about that Sonic thing, and now reading the comments from the Sonic carhop, I will. But it makes me wonder why I can’t do that with my check card – they don’t give me the option and I pretty much live a cash free life.

16. Julia says:

as a former carhop – – YES tip!!! they dont make much money!!! AND please dont just round up to the nearest dollar… so many people used to buy something that was 2.97 and GENEROUSLY give me $3 and say keep the change!!1 i wanted to throw the .03 back in their car!!!
    πŸ™‚ not that i am like that or anything…

17. Jessica says:

I have always wondered if we should tip the Sonic car hop. I’m just glad they opened up drive thru lanes so I don’t have to worry about it too much!
    I’m pretty sure that Yo Gabba Gabba IS the most obnoxious show…I sing their songs all day after I hear them. UGH!
    I am counting the minutes until Lost!! LOVE IT!

18. Melissa says:

LOL about #1. As I have watched the number of contests grow and as I have encountered difficulties leaving comments with Blogger in some instances(I get the message they are currently experiencing difficulties), I get the mental image from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation…you know when the lights finally light up and all the other houses go dark and the alarms start ringing at the power station?
    I am sure Mr. Linky and the different blog hosts are all pushing their emergency buttons to keep things up and running as the alarms sound and the lights blink rapidly!

19. Happy Momma says:

Don’t tip the Sonic people. Once we went to Sonic a week before Christmas our total was $7 and some change we gave her a $20 and she never came back with our change, after that I REFUSE to tip them. They make a salary unlike waitresses at a restaurant who make a “base” but rely on tips.
    Hubby will be watching lost tonight as well.

20. Jessica says:

We love Yo Gabba Gabba…
    I can’t explain it but my toddler, and my hubby, and I all enjoy it. Well, to be fair I probably wouldn’t watch it without her, but still.
    Most of the songs on there are written by “real” bands and we love the celebrity dances (like Elijah Wood and Sugarland).
    It’s kitschy and knows it, which I enjoy more than kids shows that take themselves too seriously.

21. Jessica says:

Also….
    LOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOST
    LOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOST
    LOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOST
    LOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOSTLOST

22. Melanie says:

My husband and I just discussed Cindy McCain. I said she was in her 50’s.
    He said,”Noooo. She looks like she is in her early thirties.”
    I said,”You mean she looks younger than ME.”
    He said,”Um, yeah.”
    Maybe I need a facial.

23. Keli Holly says:

“I think that Yo Gabba Gabba has easily squeezed out Doodlebops and Teletubbies as Most Obnoxious Preschool Show In History.”
    AMEN SISTA!

24. seized by hope says:

amen on yo gabba gabba….the show is frightening and reminds me of the twisted kids show in “Spy Kids” (the first one) I am convinced that beneath those furry costumes of trapped mothers of pre-schoolers longing for release. My older kids believe one of those characters may even be the anti-christ.

25. mom2fur says:

1–Good Ol’ Mr. Linky–he can take it!
    3–I’ll catch up to Cindy next year–in age, I mean. The chances of me every looking that good are…zippo.
    4–sometimes, you can even get them free (attached to a toothpaste package).
    5–I used to tell my oldest son that I would ‘knock his head to the moon.’ One day, he asked where the moon was. Having noted it is a gazillion miles away, and knowing mom couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 2 feet away, from then on he only laughed at the threat.
    7–Sorry, but the title of most obnoxious preschool show has to go to the Wonderpets. What’s up wit’ da widdle duck who talks funny? (BTW, you know I don’t have little ones, but I work for a pediatrician. I will honestly get up and change the channel if Wonderpets is playing in the other room.)
    9–ha, ha, at least it doesn’t involve his head being knocked to the moon. Some kids…a spoonful of sugar sends them to the moon, doesn’t it?

26. Wendylicious says:

#2 – If you go through the drive through, no. But car hops, yes. They get paid like servers and depend on tips.
    Signed,
    A former Sonic Carhop

27. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Amen to the “Yo Gabba Gabba” thoughts.
    Isn’t it interesting how the obnoxiousness of a TV show is directly proportional to the enthusiasm preschoolers have for it?
    If only it worked that way for politicians.
    Oh. Wait. It often does.

28. LisaC says:

Good toothbrushes are SO worth the money. Go to the dentist twice a year and get them for free, or wait for a sale and buy a bunch. They really do clean your teeth better.
    I told my boy once that I was going to start serving lima beans for dinner every time he said something nasty to his sister. Then I bought lima beans and left them out on the kitchen counter. He stopped doing it in front of me anyway. πŸ™‚

29. zoom says:

OH girl. LOST. I am beside myself with anticipation. Tonight the show. Tomorrow, surfing the net to read theories and discussions… oh joy in the midst of the TV desert.

30. Christa @ No End in Site says:

Augh! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who noticed this about Yo Gabba Gabba, Doodlebops and Teletubbies! Being the mean mommy that I am, I change the channel when they come on. My four-year-old asked me today if Yo Gabba Gabba was a “rude show.” I said, “No, it’s just creepy.” πŸ˜€
    As for stumping questions, my five year old asked us last night “How old is God?” Try explaining that he’s always been. Ugh!

31. Deb says:

I am so glad someone cleared up the tipping the car hops question. I did not know they were making waitress/waiter wages.
    Sugar to the moon. That should be interesting.
    All tingly waiting for 8:00 central time.

32. Queen B says:

1. I think you are/were close.
    2. I am glad you brought this up and carhops commented. I’ve been worrying about it. I’ll give them whatever the heck they want.
    3. I need to know about her skincare system.
    4. Only if it wipes the mirror after it is used and puts itself away.
    5. No.
    6. I can only hope that they do.
    7. Hallelujah that I don’t know what you are talking about. Oh..wait..my 10-yr-old is informing me that the guy with the big orange hat freaks her out.
    8. Serious question: is it worth me going back and catching up?
    9. Depends on what it is combined with.

33. Liss says:

#2
    I always tip carhops. My husband worked at Sonic for 2.5 years in high school, and painstakingly saved up all that change to buy my engagement ring! πŸ™‚
    Just giving them a quarter helps, because they really don’t make very much money – in fact, I don’t think he made minimum wage when he worked there because they expect carhops to make tips. Carhops hate the new card swipe option because hardly anyone thinks to tip when they’re not paying cash!
    #9 is from The Goofy Movie. Such a funny movie!!!

34. Char says:

About the carhops, how can you NOT tip? Seriously, those folks bring me my Rt 44 Diet Coke with the magic ice in it. They SO get something from me, whether I use my card to swipe or not. (I always carry lots of change, so at the very least they’ll get a few quarters out of me, even if I’m just buying the diet coke).
    Oh, and did you know that at some locations you can purchase their ice in big bags to take home and use for ALL your drinking needs? It was a happy day in our home when we discovered this, and a week hasn’t gone by since that we haven’t stocked up on 3 or 4 bags. Yes, I go through a lot of that magic ice!

35. Shannon says:

How can you not tip an angel who is bringing you a Route 44 Diet Coke with fresh lime!! They’re probably thankful I don’t hop out and kiss them.
    I always tip them just not as much as I would a waiter in a restaurant, after all they’ve only make one trip.
    Shannon

36. Jennifer says:

I hope all the bloggy giveaway stuff isn’t getting you down. It has been tons of fun for us but it looks like it is becoming tons of work for you.
    Thank you for doing it all!!!!
    Smiles!

37. ShortyMom says:

#2 Depends on the area. I worked as a car hop and later assistant manager but here our car hops got minimum wage. They were lucky to get $5 in tips for an entire night.
    #5 I think I’ve used that line on occasion…

38. lceel says:

The main GOOD thing about kids growing up is that there is a point where (*insert name of obnoxious kiddie TV program here*) doesn’t appeal to them anymore. Except, of course, for the 25 year old moron, who has taken over a substantial portion of the family room, and who has purchased and plays the FRIGGIN’ ELECTRIC COMPANY DVD’s.

39. Chelsea says:

Did you love or hate the Lost rerun with pop-up comments last night? I loved it until my hubby started READING THEM OUT LOUD and then commenting on the comments. He’s so not invited to my Lost party tonight.
    Yes, tip the carhops at Sonic a little bit. (Spare change adds up!)
    Yes, Yo Gabba Gabba is like The Wiggles on CRACK.
    Oh, and I spent a fortune on my electric Braun toothbrush and my dentist always comments on how great my teeth look.

40. Shalee says:

Lord have mercy that Mr. Linky is LONG!
    No tip unless it’s for our school fund raising project.
    She does look impressive for over 50!
    Yes, we love our Braun toothbrush. It’s lasted us for years and two people share it – but not the toothbrush attachments. Plus, my dentist always says my teeth are great when I go in every 2 or 3 years…
    That was a perfectly normal momma response as far as I’m concerned.
    I think they don’t even hear what is coming out of their mouths most the time. Most of the time, they have no idea what they are saying. When asked what they think on a subject, it is my conjecture that they are not aware of what words they utter…
    I have no idea what you’re talking about. Thank you God for letting my kids grow up!
    Doh! I missed Lost! Arrg. I’ll watch it on the net.
    Well, if he has one of those alternative engines… I’d say maybe 22 cups, give or take a few.

41. Nicole @ Life in Progress says:

Amen Sister on the return of LOST! Did you watch last night? I loved it and feel like I’m all ready for the premiere now. It was like VH1’s Pop-Up Video: The LOST Version. I’m hoping it will be blog-worthy because I will have nothing else to talk about tomorrow.
    Oh, BTW, I’m with you on Yo Gabba Gabba. My three-year-old rather enjoys it, but I can’t stand to watch it with her.

42. Heidi says:

#2 So torn. I feel guilty when I don’t tip Sonic people, but hubby has a point, you don’t tip the McDonalds people or the Wendys people. Seems kind of weird. And wrong.
    #4 If you bought a Sonicare or Oral B really good toothbrush you would seriously consider buying this gift for every one on your xmas list next year. Swear. It is that good.

43. jenn says:

wow..sugar and the moon OHHHHHH Lord please help you today LOL.
    hmm i tip the carhops at sonic, because I know two girls that work there, and they dont make that much money, course i also tip a tad when i order take out too, they do have to get it ready for you.. but my family has been in the resteraunt bizz for a long time, so i feel obligated.. but i do not tip much, two bucks usually
    and i also swear by the sonicare GOOD GRIEF I LOVE THAT THING!

44. Jana says:

As a fellow Okie, I must completely agree about Yo Gabba Gabba. You would think that they would get a guy on the show that can actually dance, and that the characters would have names that you can understand. I also can’t stand that I hear the same music from them over and over. My little one actually liked the Tubbies, so they were an acquired taste around here. YGG is much worse in my opinion… thanks for your blog, I am a consistent reader.

45. Lisa says:

AMEN AMEN and AMEN to #7!!!
    Yo Gabba Gabba is easily the creepiest show in children’s television history. The orange Q-tip guy that flails all over the place… he’s freaky. I often wonder what type of drug would push a person to create a show like this!!!!

46. Lisa says:

I’m with Heidi — we got a Sonicare for Christmas, and it’s my most favorite thing in the house. I HATE going to the dentist for cleanings, but I love how my teeth feel afterward. With this thing? My teeth feel THAT clean every morning. I’m hooked.

47. Cynthia says:

I happened to find your blog and it is so inspiring to read. I especially love the She Speaks concept. I always wanted to be a missionary. Over time I’ve come to realize that we don’t need to leave our homes to spread the gospel. Seeing your blog and reading others on your blog roll is exciting. Thank you so much.

48. Kasi @ ReynoldsRap says:

#2~I rarely tip the car hops at Sonic. If I’m paying with cash, I do let them keep the change and if it’s not much I’ll add about .50. My friend is the manager at the one in our one horse town. He pays his car hops regular minimum wage. On a good day, his hops can make about $20 an hour!
    #5~I told my 4y/o that if he rolled his eyes at me one more time, that I’d roll them right out of his head!

49. Tiffany says:

I too have wondered (quite often) if you should tip the person at Sonic. Someone should write a handbook for these sorts of things.
    I just recently stumbled upon your blog, and I have been hooked ever since! I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoy your writing. You have inspired me to (attempt to) write on my blog more often.

50. Candace (Mama Mia) says:

As a former Sonic car hop I can answer that question for you. It’s always nice to get a tip. Back in the day (about 15 years ago) I could make $50-$100 on a good Saturday. I’m not sure about now- but they did have to do a lot of stuff behind the scenes besides just bringing the food out. I’ll usually tip a little more on days when it’s really windy or rainy because it’s miserable to work in those conditions. Hope this helps :).

51. HolyMama! says:

i do tip at sonic, but i never know if i’m the only one.
    and yo gabba gabba is AWFUL. I tried to make the best of it and go with the ‘there’s a party in my tummy’ theme one night at dinner when no one was eating their veggies. you know – telling them that the food in the tummy is at a party, and the food on the plate hasn’t gotten to go yet, and it’s sad?
    my kids didn’t think that was actually what the yo gabba gabba song meant, so it was actually obnoxious AND worthless.
    is this even making sense?

52. Mrs. Who says:

I always tip at Sonic. Not as much as at a regular restaurant, but some – usually $1 or so. It’s always a kid and I think they can use the money.

53. Stacey says:

okay….am I the only one who LOVES yo gabba gabba? I think it is SO much fun! There’s a party in my tummy…..so yummy…so yummy.

54. Stacey says:

55. Proverbs31 says:

I COMPLETELY agree about Yo Gabba Gabba. It IS more annoying (or at least AS annoying) as Teletubbies. I can tolerate The Doodlebops in small increments but they’re weird, too. But the commenter who compared them to WonderPets – oh, no! I like the Wonder Pets. I have others I like better, but the kids and I often sing the teamwork song while we’re working together. πŸ™‚

56. Christine says:

I really think Boobah’s gotta be the world’s most annoying, weird show for kids.
    Then again, I grew up watching Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. (I think) I turned out okay. LOL!