Airplanes and Such

UGANDA TIME:  2:20 AM
OKLAHOMA TIME:  5:20 PM

Well, this was an unusual day.

From an airplane, I saw the lights of England and the countryside of Belgium.  I saw the Alps, the Mediterranean, and a little slip of Italy off in the distance.  I saw the Sahara, I flew over Sudan, and I saw my first African sunset.  I flew not too far from Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Just your average, run-of-the-mill day for an Oklahoma housewife.

I feel like a walking miracle—y’all know how anxious I normally am about flying, and I can tell you in all honesty that I felt not one bit of fear in the last 36 hours of travel.  Purely amazing.  The trip was smooth and uneventful, even pleasant.  The flight from Chicago to Brussels was a little cramped (though Sophie and I scored an extra row and each had two seats to ourselves!)  The seasoned world travelers on our team informed us that this was the leg of the journey in which we should sleep.

Guess who couldn’t sleep?

Even with a sleeping pill, I only managed about two hours of shut-eye, so I felt pretty toasted when we arrived in Brussels.

But oh, my friends, let me tell you about the luxury that was our second leg, from Brussels to Nairobi.  We flew on Brussels airlines, and let me tell you that those Belgians know how to make an airplane.  The seats were spacious and comfortable (and foot rests! There were foot rests!  A little slice of heaven when you’ve been on a plane that long).  Best of all, our flight was less than half full, so everybody on board got to stretch way out.

That leg of the journey was close to ten hours, and you know what?  Ten quiet hours on an airplane is a little vacation for a busy momma.  I read, I napped, I watched movies, I prayed, I looked out the window, I thought quiet thoughts.  I actually feel a little re-charged (in an un-showered, jet-lagged sort of way).  Maybe I should circle the globe more often.

The last leg was a quick hop from Nairobi to Entebbe Airport in Kampala, Uganda, then a one-hour van ride to our hotel (which is beautiful, by the way, pictures to come tomorrow).  Before traveling, our Ugandan Compassion escort asked to pray for us.  In a voice hushed with reverence, he prayed one of the most beautiful prayers I’ve ever heard.

I’m writing at this moment from the hotel–we just checked in, and we are one weary, scraggly, happy, smelly band of travelers.  I (hopefully) have a few hours of sleep ahead of me before the real adventure begins tomorrow morning.  Our blogging team is such an awesome group—I urge you to look through all their blogs this week.  Between all of us, we can hopefully paint an accurate picture of what is going on here.

I’m too bleary-eyed to wrap this up neatly, so I’ll just say good night.  More to come soon–we have our first meeting with the kids tomorrow.  I can hardly wait.

48 thoughts on “Airplanes and Such

1. Terry says:

Awesome to see how God is continuing to answer very specific prayers on your behalf. Can’t wait to here more!

2. momrn2 says:

Tears are forming as I read this! Praising God for such a peaceful trip so far and even moments of rest and reflection thrown in for an extra blessing!!
    Rest well friend. So eager to hear of all the other ways God is going to show Himself present and mighty.
    Praying as well for all those dear sweet little faces that the trip is all about!

3. chilihead says:

Yay! You’re there! I haven’t stopped thinking about you and I’m lapping up your blogging. Keep it coming. And oh my word–please give those children a hug from me.

4. LeeAnn says:

I actually have tears of joy from reading this post. I am so excited for you and Sophie- I can’t even tell you!
    I can’t wait to hear more…

5. kelli says:

For some reason, the driver praying for you brought me to tears.
    God is good, my friend. Hug the Soph and tell her to hug you for me 🙂

6. Jenna says:

Could you list the other bloggers who are there with you? I am reading your blog and BooMama’s, but would love to see who else is there/writing.

7. Kim says:

Glad the trip went well. Isn’t Uganda amazing?! Looking forward to hearing all about your adventure and seeing how God uses this in your life!!!!

8. Linda Sue says:

Sounds wonderful – best part to me so far – the driver praying for y’all – I don’t like trivializing the word awesome – but that might qualify! Shower, rest, be amazed! Bless you

9. Jordana says:

What an incredible journey you are on! Looking forward to reading more!
    Just curious: how did you fly over the Himalayas? 🙂

10. pam says:

Dear Shannon~
    Prayers answered. Check.
    Quiet time for the mama. Check.
    Sleep for refreshment. Check.
    Seeing those kids in the morning. Priceless.
    Can’t wait to hear all about it!
    Sending more prayers and hugs your way!

11. Stephanie (PurdueLiz) says:

Thinking of you tonight in cold, wet and dreary Oklahoma. Prayers answered for a safe and uneventful journey thus far. Looking forward to reading more and seeing photos.

12. Susan Crenshaw says:

Wow, that made the case of the Monday’s here in the frigid Sooner State totally disappear. I can’t wait to read more. We’re continuing to pray for your experience – Soli Deo Gloria.
    PS – Tell Boomama I send my regards!

13. Amy says:

I happened upon your blog recently through Design Mom (and love it!)
    My husband and I just sponsored Peter from Uganda through Compassion today, and then I remembered that you were going on a trip with Compassion. I couldn’t remember where. Here I am back on your blog remembering. 🙂 How exciting to see how God is working over there. Hopefully soon a five-year-old boy named Peter will be affected by what you’ll see on your trip!
    I’ll be visiting your blog to read the latest and praying, too.

14. edj says:

YAAY! I knew you’d find the travel “no big deal.” Yes, European and even some African airlines are much better than most American airlines, I have to agree. (Also, naturally planes used for international flights are bigger than domestic) I’m just so happy to hear your news and so impressed at how often you’re updating! Wow! Can’t wait to read more.

15. My Quotidian Mysteries says:

Welcome to the other side of the globe! I can’t wait to hear what you learn about.
    I was just reading an article in the newspaper last night about Joseph Kony, who has kept northern Uganda in a living nightmare with kidnapping and using child soldiers to wage a war against the government. Wild, dark stuff. Heinous.
    Tell the stories God gives you to tell. We can’t wait to read them.

16. To Think is to Create says:

Maybe it’s because I’m ovulating, but I had tears in my eyes reading this. No fear on the plane! Only God, right? 🙂
    Imaging you doing all this, I’m able to live vicariously at the thought that I, too, may one day do such a thing. Incredible.
    Can’t wait to hear more…
    `Arianne

17. Elizabeth says:

You made it! And weren’t those Alps stunning?! Who knew any mountains could be as beautiful as the Rockies? I can’t wait to see pics of what you’re seeing.

18. Jen says:

Sure sounds like God is answering prayers, even unspoken ones, on your behalf! Praying the rest of the trip is as refreshing in every way possible!

19. Nancy B says:

I’m so glad you arrived safely. Prayers were answered. I hope you rest well so you are prepared for what lies ahead. I’ll be checking on you daily.

20. dana says:

Glad you arrived safely. Can’t wait to hear more about the trip. I would be interested in seeing another listof those going also so we can all check everyone’s blogs simultaneously and hear the stories “in stereo” if you will.
    So excited to see what God is going to do through you guys!!!