A Few Thoughts (I Am Too Tired To Think Of a Better Title)

We’re taking a trip further inland, and I’ll be away from internet access for a couple of days.  Then we’re headed straight from there to Entebbe airport to begin flight home.  I’m not sure when I’ll be able to check back in, but I didn’t want you to worry if you didn’t hear from us!

While I’m gone, check out team member Carlos’ site.  He’s been posting some videos this week, and it’s fantastic.  In a turn-your-heart-inside-out kind of way.

Also, I’ve got a post about our trip up at BlogHer today.

And let me leave you with another image, one I will not soon be able to erase from my mind.

It is BooMama, in her wonderful Alabama accent, haggling vigorously with a Ugandan shopkeeper for a pair of funky earrings.  It is music to the very soul.  In a laugh-til-your-side-hurts kind of way.

24 thoughts on “A Few Thoughts (I Am Too Tired To Think Of a Better Title)

1. Cindy Hamilton says:

Hi Shannon,
    Just talked to Starr and she told me you were in Africa! Praying for you and your family during this time. 🙂

2. ukrainiac says:

That video is a killer! I understand how overwhelming it is to have to say good-bye, wondering when (or IF) you’ll meet again. You have changed his life forever — sooo excited that he is now a believer!

3. Scratchin' the Surface says:

Thank you for being willing to go, to be stretched, and to share with all of us. We never got to meet Nakosi (Zaire) but the letters and photos that spanned 12 years were priceless, and we still think of her often, wondering about her life. Praying for safety thru the rest of your trip.

4. Heather says:

Just wanted to let you know that because of your blog (and BooMama’s too)our family has chosen to adopt a child through Compassion. Our daughter picked a little girl from Ecuador (who is the same age) and we are all looking forward to writing her and getting to know her. Thanks so much for getting out of your comfort zone and exposing the needs of these children. I want you to know that this little girl in South America would not be sponsored by us today if it hadn’t been for you and your blog. I am thankful for your obedience to the One who is the Blessed Controller of all things!

5. Megan says:

I saw the video yesterday on Carlos’ blog, and linked to it on mine. Simply AMAZING! You guys have made me cry more tears in the past few days than I have in a while. It has been absolutely wonderful in a heart-tugging, paradigm-shifting and action-calling way. Im’ dreaming about these kids every night, talking about them all day, thinking, praying, & blogging about them. Thank you for sharing this with us!!! 🙂 I really wanted to “hi-jack” photos for my blog, but I don’t think it’s legal… LOL So I just filled my blog with LINKS to all your wonderful stories! I can’t wait to begin my sponsorship with my own little blessing across the world. Oh, for some reason the picture of Sophie haggling for earings isn’t up. (Nowhere to be found by me, anyways.) Prayers for the remainder of your trip & travels home. Now, whose going to video your reunion with your (other) family, because THAT would DEFINITELY bring me to tears! I have thought of it as an absolute privelige that you guys have been given the opportunity to travel to Africa and have these experiences, but it has also been a major sacrifice on your part to be away from your precious family– thank you for doing this. (Sorry for the long comment!!!) God bless you richly
    -Megan R

6. Rachel says:

I’ve been a huge fan of compassion for years. It took me seeing your stories this week to actually adopt a little girl, and I couldn’t be more excited. Thank you!
    My husband is in South Africa this week. He’s taking 7000 pictures of families from our church to our partner church there to have those amazing prayer warriors sponsor us in prayer. We’re in spiritual poverty — they are in physical poverty. Blessings to all of you for a save trip home you crazy revolutionaries!!!

7. Kathryn says:

Wow. WOW. WOW!!! That video is amazing. I love this story. Thank you so much for doing it! I know you’re probably more amazed than any of us, but thank you, thank you! It’s life changing!

8. Megan says:

P.S. (my novel above wasnt’ enough, I HAD to add more! lol) Upon re-reading my comment, I thought I should add that I’m not ignoring the other sacrifices made during the trip… you know, things like SLEEP and such. And the absence of the comforts we’ve grown accustomed to in our country. And the emotional rollercoaster that it’s probably been! 🙂 I’ve been extremely thankful that you brought us along with you through your words and pictures

9. Vickie@PursuingSimplicity says:

The video of you and Dissan on Carlos’ site caused me to cry in a manner that is not appropriate at work. I had to leave my office and go down to the restroom to sob. I could not even tell my husband about it last evening without sobbing. Shannon this trip has changed you because you have experienced it first hand; it has changed me by experiencing it through the words, pictures, and sounds of all of you there in Uganda. Thank you!
    Praying for the rest of your trip and your safe return to Oklahoma.
    Blessings,
    Vickie

10. pam says:

Praying for you to finish strong and sleep all the way home in the next couple of days.
    May the Lord wrap His strong arms around you and hold you up, as I am sure you are weak with fatigue and spent emotionally right now.
    I pray, too, for Hubs, as he prepares to receive the “new” Shannon home and try to embrace fully this journey you’ve taken apart from him. I can’t imagine having been away from my DP for such a life-changing time.
    May Jesus enable your precious Hubs to “get” all that you’ve heard and seen and walk down the roads of your heart with you, dear friend.
    Sending a hug.

11. Jenny says:

Hi! I have been very moved by you guys, we did sponsor a young man, Onesmus. He is pictured on my blog.
    I wanted to tell you and boomama that I would be praying for you both, that when you come home God will lift your head gently! I went to Mexico last year and when I got home I was overwhelmed at the waste in my life. It was as hard as the trip had been, but I know God will show you what to change and what’s to stay the same.

12. Kelly @ Love Well says:

My heart is full, Shannon. Just full.
    Among other things, I’m so proud of you and Sophie. You are reflecting God’s heart and hope brightly.
    Lord willing, Sophie will end up with funky earrings that sparkle, as well.

13. Dana says:

The video is so wonderful. I love the Razorback hat, too. I have a keychain from a trip to Arkansas awhile back. Everyone always asks why I have it.
    Heading over to read your post at BlogHer next!

14. The Dairy Wife says:

Wow! I am delurking to tell you that you rocked my world have sent a ripple through both my husband and myself. We strongly feel the need to sponsor a child through compassion.
    I dedicated my post today to you, and I’ve also passed on “The Wings of Compassion Award” to you.
    When you get settled and have time, please come over and read it.
    Tanya

15. Anna says:

I just wanted to apologise as I may not be reading your blog as often as I have in the past, but… I’ve become obsessed with Carlos’s site and cannot get enough of him and his wife and their family. If the rest of the Compassion crew were as amazing as them, you’ve been in amazing company these last few weeks. I hope you have made some fantastic connections whom you will stay in touch with for years to come.

16. Hollie says:

Wanted you to know that your blog has had a great effect on me and my daughter and yesterday we Sponsered a child!
    Chelsea is ours and I cant wait for the information pack!
    Thanks for making me a mom here in Canada who lives below the poverty line see just how RICH I am!