Why You Should Never Give a Video Camera To a Jet-Lagged, Claustrophobic Woman

Did I mention that we spent a lot of time on an airplane these last couple of weeks?

A lot.

Both times, toward the end of the 36 hours of traveling (each way), we were all a little punchy.  Conversations got quirky and photos got weird.

I made this video of Sophie and me with every intention of posting it when first got to Uganda, but we quickly learned that posting videos from Uganda causes smoke to blow out the side of your laptop.  It wasn’t easy.

So instead, I thought I’d save this riveting piece of journalism until I got home, so you can see firsthand the kind of thoughtful, serious blogger you have chosen to read.

(And no, contrary to the appearance of things, I hadn’t raided the airplane liquor cart.  I was drunk on pure jet lag.)

(And no, I don’t know what is up with the right side of my hair.)

I’m sorry it cuts off so abrupty, but really, where can one GO from "a touch of the conjunctivitis?"

49 thoughts on “Why You Should Never Give a Video Camera To a Jet-Lagged, Claustrophobic Woman

1. ~Amy says:

That is great! Oh my gosh, I can’t imagine being on a plane that long! You did awesome!
    I’m so glad you are home safely!!!
    I love your blog!
    ~Amy

2. mom2fur says:

Wow, and I thought 10 hours from Italy was a long trip! Well, you survived–that’s what matters!
    And you certainly are a thoughtful and serious blogger–with a sense of humor, which is just icing on the cake!

3. suburbancorrespondent says:

I have a question that perhaps others may be too embarrassed to ask. But not me – I have no pride.
    Or, maybe no one else has this question; am I the only idiot here?
    I hope I ask this right…here goes…I know the blog posts and pictures were supposed to inspire us to adopt a Compassion child, right? But it wasn’t really clear to me in all that exactly what Compassion does to help that child…and how do you help the child without first helping the whole family? I guess the descriptions and all made me feel as though their situations were almost hopeless, and what was the point of my sending anything…
    Boy, do I feel stupid. But I do wish you would address these questions.
    Thank you very much!

4. nancy says:

I usually don’t have trouble with jet-lagging on my way over, but on the way back? Katy, bar the door. It is ugly! There is nothing like waking up from a dead sleep at 2 a.m. and your brain says, “WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING BEING ASLEEP?” And your body is screaming, “LET ME SLEEP YOU IDIOT!” It is lovely, just lovely.

5. Maria says:

This is great. I’m to get really shallow and say I didn’t realize you were from the south. My daughter has been trying to cultivate a Southern Accent. (with capitol letters) so maybe I should send her to you. She sounds terribly Mid West/Maine…an unhappy combination.
    That having been said, GREAT video. I think most of us can understand PUNCHY from flights. It makes for fun without the liquor!

6. ukrainiac says:

I laughed out loud. I somewhat understand the silliness of being awake for so long — and, goodness, to be awake and have a friend right in front of you?! Trouble brewing for sure. I love the conjunctivitis — “Is this the right eye?”
    (Got to know your dad a bit while you were gone…)

7. Robin (the pensieve one) says:

Ok…I just gotta say…that I have a wee bit bigger crush on SopieBoo now because she added the determiner “the” before conjunctivitis. Because that makes a BIG difference. Not just conjunctivitis, but THE conjunctivitis.
    Is that like a little bit pregnant?
    (You’re darlin’, Shannon…claustrophobic video and all 🙂 ).

8. Momandmore says:

Sounds like an amazing trip. The photos were beautiful. I can’t think of a better way to shake off the self-centeredness, depression, and boredom I sometimes battle as a stay-at-home mom in the bleak mid-winter. Just looking at the pictures gave me a little jolt of inspiration! Thanks for sharing Shannon.
    Blessings,
    MIchelle

9. Momandmore says:

Blessings,
    MIchelle

10. Lindsey @ ETJ says:

You know, you two should be representatives for the UN or something like that. 🙂
    Shannon & Sophie for President! 🙂

11. What About Mom? says:

that is really funny.
    gotta stop with the “it was such a long plane ride, gah, gah,” though.
    families who are posted to our embassies and military bases all over the world make this 24-36 hour, multiple plane ride insane tripness several times a year WITH CHILDREN. without children, anything is possible. like reading, or sleeping, or just staring blankly ahead. i would love me some 24 hours on a plane right now.
    keep posting the Africa stories. really enjoying them!

12. Heidi says:

Hi, I found you from your Bloggie Giveaways site… That video is too funny, thanks for sharing! You have a great sense of humor. 🙂

13. Jennifer says:

Funny video!!
    This comment really doesn’t have anything to do with this post, but I wanted to let you know anyway. Because of your touching blogs, as well as the blogs of your team members, my husband and I chose a 5 year old girl from the Dominican Republic two nights ago to adopt through Compassion International. I can’t wait to get her packet in the mail! We chose one that has been waiting +6 months, and I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see her face when someone told her!
    The video of you meeting your child is what did it for me. Just thinking about it now makes my eyes well up with tears, yet again!
    Thank you for taking this trip and posting the pictures that words cannot begin to describe.

14. Kareah says:

I’m not sure if you remember me…I commented before your trip and told you I had also spent some time in Africa recently. I went to Jos, Nigeria last summer and worked in a free AIDS clinic. I’ve been looking over your posts about your trip and my heart was so touched…I’m just sitting here in my cubicle at work crying my head off missing all the friends I made in Jos. Your photos made me long for last summer…It was an experience I will never forget. Your post about the little girl posing in the doorway for a snapshot made me laugh! I had that exact experience w/ every child I met in Jos. They would follow me and say, in their most delicious accent, “Snap me! Snap me Auntie!” How I long to go back! Even though I’ve never met you, I feel such a connection with you because our heart beats for the same people.

15. Ann @ Holy Experience says:

I am with Fran: keep posting Uganda. On the edge of our seats here (for um, less than 475 hours, but we’ll stick with you the whole ride.) And yes, indeed: the UN and the White House should be next stop for you two (funny, beautiful, personable) humanitarians.
    Keep changing us.

16. Laural says:

Oh my Lordy, that video had me in stiches!
    I look just like that after traveling 24 hours door to door to Brazil. I am definately taking our new video camera with us on our next trip in April!

17. Julie says:

Shannon,
    I just wanted you to know that we took the plunge. We have talked about it off and on over the years, but we have finally decided to sponsor a child with Compassion. You can see our new charge at
    Veronica and I both thank you for pushing us into a commitment.

18. Nicki says:

You gals. Crack. Me. Up!!
    SuburbanCorrespondent:
    This is just one video that discusses how helping one child in a family, helps the entire family.
    This video and this video are just two, of many, that show what Compassion does for these children.
    🙂

19. Barb says:

How fun! You DO look relaxed and heck! Who care’s if Sophie has a little pinkeye going on. It’s great to hear and see you both in person. 🙂

20. TransitionGirl says:

I hear the jet lag making u drunk thing. After flying back and forth from US to Singapore 5 times, 28 hours of pure annoyance, who needs alcohol? jet lag will make u woozier… and loonier.

21. Cheri in OKC says:

I’m delurking to say I’m blessed beyond measure by all of you. I also can’t see the videos on any of the three computers I’ve logged in on. Any suggestions? Keep the stories coming, get some rest and Praise the Lord!!!

22. Nancy B says:

Maybe it was Sophie that was in the liquor, what with her “Is this the right eye?” question. If you’ve got a touch of conjunctivitis, how could you not know which eye!! Maybe she was tired….you think? Loved hearing your southern accent.

23. dana says:

That is sooo cool that you filmed that. I love you guys “being yourselves” – And Shannon, I must say you totally remind me of a friend here in my town: Shelley Carter. You guys could be sisters! You are both beautiful 🙂

24. Carolyn F says:

You two are such a gift! The video was hilarious; please keep the stories coming! I love the comment from the poster above about wishing she could be a fly on the wall when they tell her — I know that feeling!