29 thoughts on “What I Couldn’t Say

1. jamie says:

How do you do it? How do you go on living your regular life? I’ve cried every day this week. And Im not the crying kind. But I’ve cried every day since I’ve started reading your blogs. I feel like my eyes were opened and I just keep asking myself, why haven’t I sponsored a child before now? Why haven’t I done something before? I can’t even live my life the same now. We went to dinner and I wanted to cry big alligator tears when I saw our bill. 33 euros. One month of healthcare, education, care costs less than my 1 hour dinner did. Hubby said yesterday, you’re out of your lotion (I use Clinique) do you want that for your birthday? And I thought, my face lotion cost more than one month of healthcare, education, and care for a child. How will I ever be able to buy anything again without weighing it against what could be done with that money?
    Every night I read the blogs and look at pictures of these kids and try to imagine what their life is like. Is it less stressful than mine? Are they scared of AIDS and of dying?
    And what can I do about it? How can I make a difference? I want to sponsor a million kids. I want to sell all of our stuff and move there.
    We;ve been saving and saving every penny we can so that we can one day (not in the very near future it seems) buy us a flat. But who cares about whether we die having rented our whole lives? Who cares about that? I know sometimes I do but really it just shouldnt matter. And I think about the Bible verse that says that you can’t love two gods. That if you love 1 then you can’t love the other. And I think do I love two gods? Do I love Jesus and stuff? Would I be like the rich man that wanted to serve God but when Jesus said to get rid of all your stuff he hesitated and didn’t want to get rid of all of his stuff? Am I like that now? Am I willing to give up the little bit of savings we have? And not even just stop there, but give up all the savings we’ll ever have? AND not buy 3 pairs of shoes for Ethan and cute little dresses for Sophia because they dont need all of that stuff? And not buy myself 3 pairs of shoes. And stop going out to dinner because it’s just not necessary. Can I sell all of my stuff and follow Jesus?
    And how can I make a difference. Ive sponsored a child but it doesnt feel like enough. And I think, how will you be able to live your life again Shannon? Will everything change now?

2. Mommy Cracked says:

I just wanted you to know we chose our sponsored child this weekend….3 year old Gerald from Uganda!! I’m so excited about the possibilities our sponsorship will provide him with. I haven’t even met the little fellow but I love him to pieces already.

3. Jenny Wallace says:

I love this video!!! I taught in Rwanda for a summer several years ago and the words of this song are so true. I teach at a Jr. High in Arkansas and our students have partnered up with Invisible Children and raised over $7000 to help build a school there over the past 2 years. I’ve told them about your blog/trip and they were super excited!!

4. kelsey says:

Hi Shannon,
    Ive been reading your blog for about a week and with every post am brought to tears. My best friend and I(we are 15) decided to sponsor a child from Uganda together. We started the sponsor ship for Praise(age 4) yesterday and already feel the benefits. Thank you so much!

5. kelsey says:

Hi Shannon,
    Ive been reading your blog for about a week and with every post am brought to tears. My best friend and I(we are 15) decided to sponsor a child from Uganda together through Compassion. We started the sponsor ship for Praise(age 4) yesterday and already feel the benefits. Thank you so much!

6. Laura says:

Shannon, I could not pull up the video, but my family and I have decided to sponsor a child. I’ve been reading your blog now for a few years, so it was such a great thing to watch the video of you giving your Compassion child the soccer ball. I cried until snot was running out of my nose! My children were all worried about my mental state! I let my sons pick a child… they pick Franz, a 4 year old from Haiti. I can’t wait to get his picture and hang it on the fridge… he is now a part of our family. Thank you Shannon… I don’t think you will EVER understand how your trip to Uganda touched so many people. Those children will be embracing you in Heaven!

7. Judy says:

We picked today – Silus, age 8 (almost 9 in a couple weeks) who lives with his mother and 5 siblings in Uganda is being sponsored now!

8. Linda Sue says:

It is a good thing – to do something – anything at all. I cannot imagine that the Lord wants us to be miserable about helping and serving. Too often we get all involved in how something makes us feel – but salvation doesn’t come through feelings – it comes through knowings. We know we should help the widows and orphans and prisoners – so – DO IT! Thank you – I’d seen that video from one of the compassion sites – wonderful gift.

9. CraftandBake says:

He came! He came! Our Compassion packet arrived yesterday complete with a picture of the young man we are sponsoring. My kids are really excited to get our first of many letters off to him! Just curious, how often do you hear from your sponsored child and is it generally a quick turnaround time from when you write him, or are there several months in between? The packet mentions it can sometimes take many months to hear back.

10. Emily Carter says:

Hi Shannon,
    Just wanted to let you know that my husband and I are now sponsoring Deborah from Uganda!
    Also, we grew up in Arkansas, are currently living in California, but will be moving to Tulsa in a few months. We’re former Arkie’s soon to be Okie’s too!

11. Janice says:

I’m not a blogger-reader and I’m absolutely hooked! Thank you for your trip. I NEVER cry and I’ve been a bumbling idiot the past couple weeks. Then a tornado hit our town (I live in Prattville, AL) and God has been amazing. I do the opening for our Sunday School class and this morning – because of you sharing God’s love and our community rallying around victims, I talked about H.O.P.E. (Hold On, Pray, Expect). God is so awesome. My BFF and I are choosing a child this week to sponsor. Thank you for sharing.

12. Chelsey says:

I started sponsoring a little girl from South America after I saw the Behold the Lamb concert over Christmas. Today I got a letter from the little girl, along with a picture she drew, and I started weeping. It was precious.
    I’m only 21 years old, and the Lord is taking care of me as I give $32 each month. So if you can do it – do it. It will be a blessing!

13. Auds says:

Shannon….
    I have just recently started to enjoy your blog on a daily basis and have linked you on my blogroll.
    I have no words for the images I’ve been looking at from your recent trip, or of Ms. Groves trip to Rwanda. I can’t bring myself to articulate the depth of sorrow I feel for those children. My family has since decided to sponsor a child. Somehow, it seems very insuficient to sponsor ONE child when the need is so great.
    As an American woman married to a British man, and having lived in the UK for a great deal of time, I can say without hesitation that in the states, we don’t see one fraction of what is going on in the rest of the world. We hear snipets that have been sanitized, lest it shock us all into action – off our sofas and out of our SUV’s…that show us brief shots of the human suffering going on. Sad, but oh so true.
    And, like so many before me have commented, I hae been reduced to little more than puddles of tears after reading your posts.
    Thank you…thank you so very much for sharing this part of your world, with us.
    Audrey

14. GiBee says:

We chose to sponsor a child for a “family valentines day gift” — it is something we’ve been wanting to do for a long time, but it hasn’t been in our budget. We decided it was time to cut corners and make it happen. Your trip helped spur that decision.
    And yet… it doesn’t seem like enough.
    I look forward to seeing how this trip will impact your writing… I know you will be able to translate all you’ve seen so we can
    experience it through your eyes!
    Love your heart, Shannon…

15. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

We signed up last weekend to sponsor Guadalupe from Honduras. We are anxiously awaiting our sponsorship packet. The kids have already drawn pictures for her and bought her coloring books to mail when we have an address. I know the trip was difficult, but it opened a lot of eyes. When we sponsored her, she had a heart on her picture indicating that she had been waiting 6 months or more for sponsorship. When I looked at the site later in the week, there were no longer any kids who had waited that long – the heart description is no longer in the sidebar. 🙂
    I look forward to meeting you at She Speaks.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

16. Elaine says:

Yes, you’ve mentioned it and we did it, all because of your trip, and showing us what you experienced. God has certainly worked through you.
    LOVED this song/video!

17. Straight Shooter says:

How wonderful to see your comments! Can you believe how many people have changed their way of thinking b/c little ole you took a huge leap of faith and followed God’s leading? I love, love, love how He works don’t you?

18. Cyndi says:

I thought of this song the whole time you were gone. It sums up what happened in me after our trips to Africa… I could never again live like I didn’t see it. And I’m so glad. That’s God’s grace. He’s so good!

19. Marianne says:

I’m about to make lunch for my two boys – a meal where they can choose from the bounty of our fridge, freezer, and pantry.
    I’m so glad I sponsored a child.
    Please keep bringing us these images and the message. This is something good you are doing in the etheral world of the blogosphere.
    If every blogger sponsored a child…imagine.
    Just imagine!

20. Andie says:

Absolutely beautiful! Your blog is so meaningful. My throat catches at each post. Love the funny ones, too…but there is nothing funny about children living in poverty. We sponsor two children in Haiti, but would love to be able to sponsor more.
    Blessings to you…
    Andie

21. Jenn says:

beautiful! i looooooove sarah groves and this new album. i had been thinking about her song “when the saints” while you all where over there. blessings.