Sweet Dreams

I’ve been on Malarone for a while now–it’s an anti-malarial drug.  Even though I’m home now, I have to continue it for a full two weeks, just to be safe.

One of its side effects is personality disorder, which I seem to have escaped (unless you ask my husband.  Please don’t.)

But one of the side effects I have experienced has been really vivid, strange dreams.  If you are the sort who feels the need to analyze every element of your dreams, Malarone would rock your world.

Last night, snug in my bed, I dreamed that I learned that Hubs and I had been married by a preacher who wasn’t licensed, so we weren’t actually married.  We set out to right this wrong by planning another wedding.  But we felt like we needed to do it in 48 hours, so we were really busy.  We called and informed (not asked) our dear friends who have a beautiful backyard with a pool that we would be using their yard for the ceremony, and could they please hire a lifeguard because we wanted our children to be able to swim while we said our vows.

Evidently if your nine-year-old son does a canonball during the "to love and cherish" part, it really seals the deal.

Anyway, I called Shaun Groves and asked him to do the music, which he said he would do, but only if he could play old early ’80’s church camp music.

Evidently if the crowd sings "I Have Decided To Follow Jesus" during the "kiss the bride" part, you’re hitched for good.

Then (and, by the way, kudos to those of you who have managed to stick with this post), I decided to do all the catering myself, so I prepared a bathtub-sized vat of chicken salad.  And then, taking a break from our preparations, we decided to go have lunch with our old friend Jimmy Buffett (yes, JIMMY BUFFETT).  As we ate lunch (chicken salad, of course), Jimmy showed us the pirate costume he brought for Hubs to wear in our wedding.  And Hubs was just thrilled about this and put it on right away.

Because evidently if your prospective groom shows up wearing large hoop earrings and a skull-and-crossbones cap on your wedding day, then your wedded bliss is assured.

And that’s it.  Chicken salad, pirate grooms, and my illegitimate children doing the dog paddle, all in one night.  Personality disorder?  Not me.

Posted in: Fun

69 thoughts on “Sweet Dreams

1. ukrainiac says:

Wouldn’t even want to BEGIN to analyze that dream! So funny…gotta love Jimmy Buffet being part of the scene! Did you get to see what YOU were wearing?? Just curious…

2. Rebekah says:

I have to agree with the pirate part! we got married on a pirate ship…
    now for the real reason i posted. you mention chicken salad. is this some wonderful yet basic recipe you have, or just dream of having? cuz I can’t make chicken salad to save my life. I can make much more detailed things like turducken and the full thanksgiving menu, but chicken salad…not a chance. If it’s real- Share!

3. Farrah says:

LOL!
    I’m sending Linky Love your way, because…are you quite ready for this? Maybe you should sit down…oh, you already are sitting? (Hmm…I usually do all my blogging standing on the highest branch of a tree in the middle of the Amazon somewhere over the rainbow. Not really, but that would be cool, wouldn’t it?) Well then, I have added your blog to my sidebar list of blogs, thereby increasing my list from five to something greater than five, and all because I think you’re really neat! Have a blessed day!

4. Susan says:

I have those kind of dreams and I’m not on any drugs! The worst are the ones where my husband’s upset me in the dream and it’s so vivid the next morning I have to remind myself not to be mad at him :).
    Praying for you (and the others) as you continue to assimilate back into your daily life and culture.
    Thank you for sharing.

5. Debbie says:

I had exactly the same experience when traveling to Africa and using malarone. I dreamt my parents were in a canoe being chased by gators! Glad you are almost done taking that stuff!

6. Lightening says:

ROFLOL. Well, I didn’t understand all of the explanation (being Australian and all) but I know the feeling of having strange dreams. I have medication which has similar side effects. I tend to dream my DH and I have really big arguments which is odd because we very rarely fight and even then it might be a comment from each of us (a little heatedly) and that’s it!

7. Stacey says:

Ah Malarone! I took Malarone when I was in Kenya and I remember having those strange, vivid, crazy dreams. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I don’t remember most of them now.
    It seemed most of our group found themselves in one of two camps. Those who couldn’t sleep because they had terrible insomnia from taking mefloquine and those who weren’t sure they wanted to sleep because their dreams were freaking them out.

8. Linda Sue says:

Oh dear – I have a flu bug and my chest hurts so bad when I laugh and I’ve laughed myself silly over this- what a wonderful dream! I think your wedding plans are superb and Jimmy Buffett makes sense – you were planning on serving the chicken salad buffet style weren’t you???

9. Edi says:

Well the good news is – it sounds like your dh was gonna go ahead and marry you the second time around anyway!
    I’ve sometimes (jokingly) posed the same scenario to my dh to see if he would still marry me if we were not already by some fluke.
    A couple we know did have a real experience like that…they were married in Taiwan and for some reason they were worried when back in the USA quite some time later, as to whether or not they were officially and legally married….or it could be that they just wanted to be “remarried” by a Christian minister… I don’t believe they had a huge wedding complete with Jimmy Buffet in attendance but probably just a couple of witnesses in the minister’s home πŸ™‚

10. Jean Stockdale says:

Obviously your mind is still jamming long after you go to sleep! This will soon subside and I fear you will miss your funny dreams. We will too! Glad you are getting some rest and recovering from the trip. Blessings.

11. Jill McGregor says:

I had the same effect several years ago after traveling to Nigeria… I only wish I had journaled/blogged those wacky dreams. Seven years later all I remember is that they were WACKY!!! Blessings on your return adventures~!

12. Megan says:

Dadgum! Sort of makes me want to go on Malarone for a while. I can’t remember the last time I had any kind of dream, let alone one like that! *grin*

13. Alaina says:

That is hilarious! I love the Jimmy Buffett cameo. And don’t we all know that being married in a pirate costume while people are swimming, with 80’s church camp music blaring, and with tables laden with huge amounts of chicken salad (sitting out on a perhaps hot day) are the recipes for a perfect marriage. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Aren’t you glad they are just dreams?! πŸ™‚
    Thanks for making me laugh!

14. Sarah says:

I’m glad you seem to be making the most of it. I didn’t see anything from this post or previous ones about you actually *contracting* malaria, so I’m hoping that the meds were preventative. Wishing you the best!

15. Julie says:

That totally sounds like the dreams I always had when pregnant. With my second child I knew I was pregnant before I was ever even late due to weird dreams about elephants πŸ™‚

16. Jenn C says:

Too bad you didn’t ask Jimmy & Shaun to sing together. That would have been awesome!!!
    (P.S. I keep re-reading your Uganda stories and loving it. [And crying.] Thank you so much for sharing!!)

17. Snowbird says:

And I thought I had crazy dreams!! Hey, maybe if you had dreamed a little longer, you might have found out the Johnny Depp was your Best Man. πŸ™‚

18. Snowbird says:

19. Jes says:

Oh my gosh. I think I just lost 20 pounds laughing. I have some crazy dreams with out medicine, I’d hate to see what I was like on that!
    You crack me up!

20. Stephanie (PurdueLiz) says:

Remind me never to travel anywhere that I might need that drug. My dreams are messed up on a nightly basis anyway. They got worse while pregnant. I can only imagine what this drug would do to me. Jimmy Buffet, pirates, and chicken salad? Totally sounds like something I’d dream about. Except throw in a mad search for a restroom.

21. Christy says:

Oh. I love it. Sounds like a SNL skit. I’ve been having strange, vivid dreams lately and I’m not even on anything … except hyperdrive stress from packing to move twice in 30 days and looking forward to living in my MIL’s house for those 30 days between houses. Yikes!

22. Gretchen says:

On my trip to Kenya, with the same med, I dreamed I was pregnant and I gave birth to a guinea pig and put it in a shoe box and I loved my baby very much!
    On the down side, a very nice, older lady who was in our group, became very odd. Evidently, if you have a screw even slightly loose, the Malarone can intensify that problem. She didn’t realize her odd behavior at all.

23. lomagirl says:

Thanks for the wedding ideas. I need to plan one!
    I sometimes dream about people in the blogosphere. That usually means I’m doing too much interneting and not enough working. Can we say OBSESSIONS?

24. Pam says:

This was soooooo funny!!! I only wish I had dreams like that. I have terrible-horrible-frightening nightmares….can’t figure out why-can’t stop them….thanks for the laugh..God Bless, Pam South Bend

25. lisa (lost pezhead) says:

whew that was pretty detailed! i have pretty crazy and vivid dreams as it is, i don’t think i should ever take what you’re on!

26. Shaun Groves says:

Anytime you need “Friends are friends forever…” crooned at your O-fishal wedding ceremony, I’m in. Especially if there’s chicken salad.
    Cause, you know, we Compassion bloggers are all friends forever now. Bound by a common intestinal critter and all. I feel a song comin’ on.

27. edj says:

I LOVE this! But I was disappointed that you didn’t sing “It Only Takes a Spark…to get a fire going” πŸ˜‰ wouldn’t that be better for a wedding?
    I think coming up with all that in 48 hours (or less!) is fantastic. If Donn and I ever renew our vows, or find out we’re not married in the first place, I’m calling you for help with the plans.

28. Dianne says:

ROTFL! I have those wacko dreams totally drug-free. Hormones have been known to kick them up a notch, though.
    Hmmm . . . gives me some good blog fodders, as I had a couple of strange dreams recently. Thanks for the laugh! πŸ˜€