Now I Can’t Stop Thinking About Dishes

Well that was fun.  Thanks for your input

I’m all for purging, and for passing things along to others who have need, but I think I may have to draw the line at my wedding china.  What if my daughter expressed regret someday that I hadn’t given it to her?  It’s only two boxes full, anyway, and I suppose that’s what an attic is for.

Anyway, my mother-in-law sent me an e-mail saying that if I sold it, she was going to buy it from me herself and give to Corrie someday.  *grin*  So that’s that!

Reading all your comments got me thinking about the other dishes floating around my house.  So, quick–grab your camera!  It’s time for the Rocks In My Dryer Spur-Of-The-Moment Dish Carnival

100_2362 I hauled out the china in question to show you.  Got them all set out on the table and thought to myself, "Geez Louise, these gorgeous.  Why aren’t I using them?’  So maybe, just maybe, the Dryer family will be eating on fine china tonight.

100_2365My absolute favorite dishes ever in the whole wide world are Blue Danube (right).  This is what my grandmother used for her every day dishes, and she left her collection to me.  Although she had a very wide assortment of serving pieces, unfortunately the collection of "practical" pieces (dinner plates) dwindled over the years, so I don’t have enough to consistently use them.  I keep saying that I’ll finish out the collection one of these days.  Not only are they beautiful, but they make me think of my grandmother.  I adore them.

100_2367 Two years ago I bought twelve–count ’em, TWELVE–five-piece place settings of the Christmas dishes pictured at left.  For $40.  Total.  At Wal Mart.  That’s American capitalism at it’s finest, right there.  Say what you will about the vast coporate greed of Wal Mart, but they are deckin’ my halls at always low prices.  Love it.

I was going to take a picture of my everyday dishes, but they’re so plain jane, I’m not even sure it’s worth the effort to get up from my computer.  They are white.  And round.  And they have a bunch of scrape marks on them.  I think your imagination can handle this one.

100_2369This last shot is one of the more important dish collections in my house:  the box of unused party plates in the garage, which I pull out whenever everything is dirty.  You know what’s really fun?  Try serving a nine-year-old boy a PB&J on a Sleeping Beauty plate.  Yep, good times.

Feel like posting a picture of a dish or two or twelve?  I’d love to see them.  Enter a link to your post below.

1. Muddy
2. Stretch Mark Mama (Holy 90s, Batman)
3. a musing mom
4. We are THAT family (Let\’s Dish)
5. Barb (transferware)
6. Butterbean
7. Coffee Tea Books & Me
8. Maggie – Christmas Dishes
9. Britni (Dishes with food)
10. Alaina
11. Edi
12. Erica (A Yankee In Jawja)
13. Musings of a Housewife
14. Heather
15. Cheryl
16. Ann\’Re
17. Mary B
18. Musings from Inside the Hobbit Door
19. laura boggess
20. Anna
21. Sherida
22. Kimi@blessed beyond belief(got married in December, look what people got us!)
23. Krista
24. Rookie Mom 101 (My Cabinet 3 Collections)
25. Beth (three sets of dishes)
26. southern
27. southern( this is #27- I boobooed)
28. Katie (Snow men in July?)
29. LeeAnn (aka FrazzMom)
30. Heidi @ GGIP
31. Kristin
32. Catherine
33. Natalie
34. Linda Sue Buhl
35. Proverbs 31 (my rose dish dilemma)
36. Distybug
37. Ronnica (young and single = random dishes!)
38. Amy (Diligent Joy!)
39. La Moglie
40. Bitsy
41. Robin (PENSIEVE) πŸ™‚ (Gold rimmed, inherited from my mom)
42. Amanda at Baby Bangs
43. Crazy Daisy
44. Beth
45. Jamie B
46. Pam
47. Jennifer T.
48. Christine @ Serenity How?
49. Blogaroni and Dees
50. Ewokgirl (eating pretty)
51. Nancy
52. Lori (my first carnival)
53. Reformed Grits prepare to be jealous
54. Becca Mae
55. Andrea@Braun Family Circus
56. ceekay
57. Sue
58. a musing mom
59. CheriBeri from Multiply
60. sahmqueen
61. mckay dishes about dishes

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

THESE LINKS ARE NOW CLOSED! Thanks for participating!

66 thoughts on “Now I Can’t Stop Thinking About Dishes

1. Leslie says:

You can totally put that Lenox in the dishwasher. I have the Eternal pattern (same but with gold band) I put it in the dishwasher every time I use it. In fact this is copied right from the Lenox site….
    All Lenox fine china is dishwasher-safe. When washing Lenox china in the dishwasher, use a mild liquid or powder detergent. Load china securely on racks so that the pieces do not touch, and so they won’t be dislodged by water action. Ensure that the dishwasher is in good working condition and has no exposed metal racks. Also ensure that metal objects (pots, pans, utensils) do not come in contact with the china. Use a mild wash cycle, and let pieces cool before removing.
    So use that stuff!

2. Stretch Mark Mama says:

I rescind my previous comment. That China is BEAUTIFUL. Stunning. KEEP IT.
    Our rule is to keep only what is “useful or beautiful.”
    My husband is always afeared he will get tossed out in the trash.
    Pfffft.
    I’d take him to Goodwill instead. I’m not completely without mercy.

3. Rebecca says:

Oooh, I’m going to join in when I get home. I just got a couple of new plates!
    Spur of the moment, surely?
    A carnival I can join in with, though, yay!

4. dcrmom says:

Totally fun!! Mine are boring, though. White for everyday. Cream with gold Lenox for fancy. And my grandmother’s china, which is gorgeous, but packed away. As is my Christmas china. I’ll see how industrious I get, perhaps I’ll dig them out and photograph them later today.

5. Barb says:

A couple day I just began a series on my favorite things, including my dishes which I so lovingly collected from ebay over a six year period.

6. Tammy says:

We have no china at our house and we use Corelle -talk about excitement.
    I never bought or have wanted chrystal.My sister out of the blue sent me chrystal that used to be our parents.It is still in the box that she sent it in but like you I can’t get rid of it.I may start pulling some of it out and use it all of the tie.Save some for my son and daughter,this way they will have somthing that was their grandparents,my mom died when I was 5 and my dad passed away in 1990 so of couse the grandparents are unknown to them.

7. sweethomealagirl says:

I only have one set of dishes, but we did get “good” glassware. Since the kids came along, we’d relegated it to the back of the shelf, but last new years, I made a resolution to use it. It’s not doing any good just taking up space in the back of a cabinet, and why not have my sweet tea or ice cold milk in a pretty glass? πŸ™‚

8. Carol ~ I Throw Like A Girl says:

My MIL was horrified that I sold my china on Ebay. But she still loves me. She’s a GREAT MIL (not just because she loves me) but she did not understand the depths of it’s hideousness. It had to go. I did keep the husband, her son. That has to count for something.

9. Renee says:

My mother is the queen of “dishes desirement” even with her cupboard busting open. She found a great solution! She keeps buying more and more, but has given them away for gifts to married couples now. So her shopping can continue in earnst, and others are blessed (?) with them. I know for myself, if I get “blessed” with any more from her, I’m just not sure what I’ll do with them because my cupboards are full, full, full. Purge? Uh yes! How about Ebay? LOL How about finding a newlywed couple? LOL Lovely dishes by the way, I especially love your blue and white ones.

10. Maggie says:

Cool Carnival! I posed my Christmas dishes. I have a set of Pfaltsgraph white dishes, but we use Luncheon plates from Tupperwear or the 4 Melamime seasonal plates most of hte time. I like the smaller plates.

11. Richelle F says:

I say use that gorgeous china! My mom always used China every Sunday dinner. It made it more of a special dinner for us. We put our China in the dishwasher, too, just set them in nicely so you don’t chip the edges.

12. Melanie says:

I am so glad you are keeping your dishes (one way or the other) for your daughter!!! YEAHHH!!
    Blue Danube. We are kindred spirits.

13. Heather says:

Definitely keep the china! It’s a timeless classic that your daughter or even future grandkids can use without being dated. I get to look forward to inheriting cream, brown, and orange-flowered dishes. Lucky me!

14. sandy says:

Great post, Shannon! I finally got rid of my Disney character plates that the kids ate on when they were little. Now we all eat on the same ol’ white William & Sonoma dishes. I have a space issue, so I only have a few sets of dishes. No Christmas ones πŸ™‚
    Happy Weekend!

15. Andi says:

*whew*
    So glad you’re saving it for your daughter. I was really worried some yahoo on the internet was going to get something that I promise that later she’ll treasure!

16. lomagirl says:

Good decision. I realized my post about thinking what you could do with $200 was a little stark, and I wanted to say that I think you are already doing a lot to help people in the world, and I don’t think money is the only way to do that. Giving of your time and your heart goes a lot further than 200 dollars can.

17. Deb Capone says:

I wish i could find those $40 Christmas plates….my daughter’s birthday is Dec. 26th and is very into Christmas and her birthday. I now have more Christmas stuff than I ever imagined. Not that I am Scrooge, but before she joined me thru adoption from China, i had a great dinner party every Christmas Eve (the traditional Italian fish dinner-complete with champagne) and then take down my tree while I watched midnight mass on tv. On Christmas day i went to the movies….
    Much as i love seeing my daughter enjoying herself, I would be lying if i said I didn’t miss those simpler times…less stress, but a big hangover.
    deb

18. Stacie says:

I love dishes! My husband is constantly telling me “No more dishes!” I always use real dishes–and I don’t have a dishwasher. Good thing I have a lot because I really hate to wash dishes, but I feel more “green” by not using paper. ;-p One of these days I will get china but I want to wait until I find the “right” set (i.e. vintage, fun pattern, cheap).

19. Tami@ourhouse says:

I am so glad you decided to keep the china! Sometimes special times are worth the trouble involved, and handwashing plates is one of the easiest jobs, if you really think about it (pots and pans are much harder, don’t you think?)
    The main reason I want my mother’s china is all the memories associated with it- the holidays, birthdays, special guests, etc. Those are important times in my life and helped shape me into who I am today. It may be that your daughter would be much more interested in the china if she has some memories associated with them- that makes them not only beautiful to look at, but also an important link to her childhood the special times you enjoyed as a family. Or maybe not. Just a thought.
    By the way, my mother’s special china, passed down from my grandmother, is also real china with a silver rim, and when I was a teenager and had clean-up duty and didn’t know any better, I put it in the dishwasher many times. The china looks as good as new- you’d never know. Definitely worth a try.

20. Sherida says:

We only have two basic sets of dishes — an ‘everyday’ set and a ‘nice’ set. I don’t have kids dishes, yet, since my son is just now starting solid foods. We’ll have a set of fine china one day when my MIL passes her set down to us.

21. jamie says:

yeah, the china is beautiful but…. daughter is not going to want to hand wash each one of those dishes. And like other commenters have said, what kind of memory is a dish if it was just in a box? If you’re gonna pass it down, you’re gonna have to start using it.

22. Krista says:

sherida, how do you know the daughter won’t want to hand wash each dish? My mom didn’t get the dishes gene as much as I did, and I’m willing to wash the dishes by hand if it means we can use them. I love all the memories associated with them.
    But you are spot on with the using. She won’t want them if they sit in a box her whole childhood. I love Grandma’s dishes because I have memories and memories of using them! Shannon…use the dishes!

23. Rebecca says:

I would keep the China too. Maybe instead of storing it in boxes you could put some out in a hutch, at least that way it can be seen. My sister & I split my great grandmother’s set (15 place settings & serving pieces) and it’s in a buffet. I’d love to get a pretty hutch to put it out in. I think I’ve used it once so far but would love to have occasions to use it for. Mine has gold rims so I completely understand the frustration of hand washing, though my grandma said it would be okay to just do a light rinse in the washer. I think it’s something that would be beautiful to pass down to your daughter, a niece or granddaughter.

24. Heidi says:

I also love your Blue Danube set. They are beautiful. And your Lenox set is lovely and timeless and will never ever go out of style.
    I think I will join in later on. I am one of the few people who actually uses their wedding china, so this will be fun for me!

25. Beth says:

I’ve added the link to my dinnerware pics. This was a fun idea! I’m really enjoying reading all the posts and seeing all the pretty dishes.

26. Proverbs31 says:

Oh what fun! I’m off to find my camera! πŸ˜€
    It’s funny that your mother-in-law said that.. My mother-in-law also chastised me when she found out that I tried to sell a set of dishes (that I did NOT register for) that I received for my wedding. But then, I found out that she had chipped in on the cost with her friend and that it wasn’t just from the friend like I thought.
    So now they sit in the cabinet over the fridge. Funnily enough, they now MATCH the new curtains I just sewed for my kitchen window. Alas! I’ll just have to take the pics and show you. Come on over in about an hour and you’ll see. πŸ˜‰

27. holly says:

Rocks- I am sooo sorry that I have so many links to my site and they still aren’t right. Blogger would not let me add images for all my photos so I did it in three posts- then, for some reason I copy each one and it is posting something different- I don’t have a clue what is happening. I hope you don’t hate me, hopefully you are still too tired to care or are busy washing your dishes to use.
    My thought on your dishes is to use them. You can use the rinse cycle to wash them- I have a china cycle that would work. I feel that I want to enjoy what I have and the kids love to eat off the china. We eat by candlelight every night of December on our Christmas china.

28. Heth says:

So pretty. You need to have yourself a dress up fancy party and use the china to impress all of your friends. Because that’s what it’s all about. *grin*

29. Stephanie says:

Your china is BEAUTIFUL! You are so lucky to have picked out such a timeless design when you registered. Definitely keep it, and as the other commenters mentioned, I bet you can get away with using it in the dishwasher (especially if you have a short or gentle cycle) and make sure the pieces don’t touch each other or any other dishes.
    Is there a way for me to particpate in this carnival even though I do not have a blog?

30. Edi says:

I love your fine china…glad you are gonna hold onto it for your daughter…or even start using it. There is little enjoyment in having things that are “too nice to use”. If they break – that’s ok too, b/c at least it happened while you were enjoying them.

31. chrissy says:

My grandmother had the same Blue Danube dishes, and I loved them. After I got married, I purchased some blue willow plates thinking they were the same thing. Fuzzy memory, I guess.

32. Kristin says:

I’ve enjoyed looking at all the different place settings and reading all the comments.
    I recently got married and registered for fine china. While I haven’t used it yet, I’m still glad that I have it.

33. Linda Sue says:

Took me longer to post than I’d planned for this posting – taking pictures and finding pictures – but it helped me remember I’ve had a wonderful life. I love my dishes – don’t have anyone to leave them to so I hope I’ll have a spiritual daughter before I’m ready to go home. Not big on “stuff” but it isn’t all bad – some stuff is a tangible connection to your past – both parents are dead and I have only one brother – not much left of that world but pictures, memories and dishes.

34. Proverbs31 says:

Okay, I got my link in there for my own dish dilemma.. unfortunately it doesn’t involve beautiful china like yours!! Just the everyday stuff.
    And I DID neglect to tell you just how gorgeous those dishes really are. I’m glad you’re keeping them, too. πŸ™‚

35. Maggie says:

Mother has the blue danube set, very pretty and classic. Believe it or not she has found many different types of pieces to add to her set at TJMaxx. Love that store, the back shelves are like going garage saleing.

36. Amy Johnson says:

I finally started using the dishes we got for our wedding every day after 15+ years of having them up in the cupboard waiting for Christmas. They were the only dishes my husband and I both liked–why the HECK weren’t we using them?!?!?! Sure, they have chips now, but we are using them. That’s the important part. Even with 2 teen boys in the house. Use the dishes you love!

37. Holly Smith says:

Sophie and I have the same china–Friendly Village πŸ™‚ I was SO excited to see it on her Christmas tour of homes. I do not have all my china, yet. I do, however, have at least 12 plates with a different picture on each one. So I can mix and match until the day comes when I can complete the set.

38. Robin (the pensieve one) says:

I linked a previous post that had a picture of my fine china, left to me by my mom who died when I was nine; yep, it means a WHOLE lot :).
    So I know just how much your grandmother’s Blue Danube means to you…and you know what Mama’s china means to me :).
    (p.s. Glad you’re keeping your wedding china, but I’d be gladder if you EAT ON THE FREAKIN’ DISHES!!!)
    πŸ™‚

39. pam says:

well, at this mid-life empty nest stage of life, I am even MORE CONVINCED that we have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF. Oh my—this has stopped me in my tracks. I was already de-cluttering and GIVING away extra furniture. Now I feel the need for intense simplification. GOOD GLORY!

40. Emily says:

I have a Lenox Eternal set too that I received when I married almost 3 years ago. I definitely wash it in the dishwasher. I don’t buy anything that can’t go in there (who has time to handwash?), and the Pampered Chef stone completely stresses me out. Glad to hear you wash yours!
    Fun post!

41. Blogaroni and Dees says:

This is so fun! I posted something similar not too long ago. I love love LOVE dishes…
    Someone needs to do a “favorite coffee (or tea, cocoa, Diet Coke, insert-favorite-comfort-drink-here) cup” carnival!!

42. Anna says:

Shannon, this was so, so, SO much fun. I agree with blogaroni (whose dishes I liked best, actually) that we should do a coffee cup carnival, or something.

43. Cris says:

I’m not good (read: don’t know how to) at the whole take pictures and post them thing.
    BUT those Blue Danube plates you have, I have one hanging on my wall. It was from a set that belonged to my husband’s grandmother. There were only dinner plates and they were saved away. When she passed away, everyone wanted to give them away, no one needed a random set of 7 plates. I saved them. I hung one on my wall of decorative plates. As each grandchild (2 girls and another boy) each bought a home I gave them one plate as a gift. Everyone has it on display in their china cabinets. Then my Mother-in-law and her sister-in-law (the grandmother’s daughter-in-laws- if you are still following along) asked if I had anymore and they each have one on display too. You see, things are symbols and reminders.

44. Nancy says:

I have some beautiful wedding china, Rondell by Gorham. I put it up in the attic after our last move. I gone over to the less serious side with Homer Lauglin Fiesta dishes. Every color. The bright colors always make me smile, even when I’m loading and unloading the dishwasher. We use them every day.

45. Katina says:

Hi, I’m not sure if anyone gave this idea yet so here goes….My mom in law is Scottish and she is a proper English-woman. She takes her tea several times a day on one of her many sets of china. BUT, she doesn’t handwash anything. She puts it all in the dishwasher. So does my sis-in-law…and since I’ve joined the family…so do I. πŸ™‚
    When I bought my china the sales clerk said that bone china is stronger than most any other dinnerware…so my vote is use that china and wash it in the dishwasher…thrown caution to the wind! πŸ™‚ Hey, at least when Corrie inherits the 2 teacups and 3 breadplates that you have left, she will remember you actually using it! πŸ™‚

46. Sue says:

Oh my goodness, this is SO freaky. I did a post about plates this past Sunday, and the weird thing is I was rhapsodizing about my Grandma’s everyday dishes…which are called “Blue Bonnet” but look remarkably like Blue Danube.
    I love dishes!

47. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

I didn’t read your Wed. post until this morning, and I just barely skimmed the comments, but I have another solution for your china–use it, AND put it in the dishwasher!
    A friend’s mom always did that, because she said if she didn’t, she wouldn’t use it. I’d bet that dishwashers are much more gentle than they used to be. I sometimes hand wash mine, and I’ve also put it in the dishwasher, and it’s fine. It might not be mint, but what good is mint china sitting around in boxes.

48. mckay says:

after glancing through your comments, and you now know your china is dishwasher safe, start using them!!
    i use my wedding china for my every day dishes. mckid hasn’t broken a one and i love seeing my pretty pattern every day.
    mck.

49. Brightonwoman says:

I grew up with Blue Danube!!! We used it every sunday. Over the years I dropped a couple pieces…at $35/plate, it was a scary prospect, but mom said there was no point owning them if we just left them in the cupboard all the time!
    I don’t own any fine china…although I have a set of (HEAVY) stonewear from my mom. It’s nigh on undestructable I think…except on my tile floors. LOL! My 7yo has helped a couple of pieces to an untimely demise, but hey, why have it if you won’t use it.

50. mckay says:

okay, what do you do when you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t fall back asleep? post pictures of my dishes. blogging takes time and it seems i only have time at 2am.
    This is my first carnival. thanks for the fun!
    mck.

51. Linda says:

Your dishes are beautiful. I inherted 3 sets from my mil, they were her brothers, 1 is blue willow ds-29 loved that set so I’ve already pasted it on to him except for the stray cup you can see on my blog. One set I am tring to sell- Platium Rose- just not me. Ones I kept you can also see on my blog- they are from France- milk glass- UPS broke 4 plates I was so upset- only places I found one was at Good will- not in greatest condition but I took it anyway. I do love dishes. My dd doesn’t like any of them- that’s ok, she’s already bought what she likes.

52. Deborah says:

Thanks so much for this fun idea! πŸ™‚ I’ve been thinking on it/working on it all week. Sooooo thankful for my stacks of blessings of which this has reminded me! πŸ™‚
    Have a great weekend!