Score

Life is really hard when your mom goes to Africa

Dad takes you out to eat a whole bunch, your grandparents lavish attention on you, and your teachers go easy on you.

But then your mom comes back, and you decide all that torture was worth it, because you now have the most rockin’ Flat Stanley project in the history of the 3rd grade.

100_2284

That’s Flat Stanley, floating on the Nile River.  With hippos in the background.

For one brief, shining moment, I am Cool Mom.

39 thoughts on “Score

1. Gretchen says:

LOL! I took my great nephew’s Flat Stanley camping in Utah. He made it back with some interesting pictures, but poor Stanley was a little scorched by the campfire, wrinkled by the backpack and even the lamination had started to curl off his feet. Poor Stanley! Yours looks pretty good! Whata Mom!

2. Fran says:

Now, you are one cool momma….
    I can hear a bunch of “THATS NOT FAIR!” across the country as little 3rd graders might catch wind of how cool you are!

3. pam says:

You ARE one cool mama . . . whether they notice or not.
    I thought we were so cool to take “Flat Stanley” to a nationwide bowling tournament. He had a pretty good average, too.
    Ho hum.
    From geeky mom. : )

4. Snowbird says:

Way to go Mom! You are really a cool Mom. It was great enough to be able to go to Africa but to take Flat Stanley with you–wow! I would love to hear what the rest of the third graders had to say. Oh by the way, does Flat Stanley get air sick?? 🙂

5. Terry says:

Am I the only one that doesn’t know who/what Flat Stanley is? (one of the comments said 3rd grade, so maybe I’ll learn next year)

6. Minnesotamom says:

Dang…since my own FS hasn’t been doing much lately, I might have to link to you for my next Flat Stanley Friday…though my Stanley looks much different and this might not pass for him, it’s still interesting.

7. Linda Sue says:

Good Mom – excellent cool mom – you have Flat Stanley with hippos on the Nile and are being parodied at Ragamuffin Soul by the los Whittaker! Here is an offer – anyone who is desperate enough to want a picture of their Flat Stanley with either a longhorn or a goat – I can do that. Just saying – unless you want to pay for me to go to the Nile for y’all (and I’m just that giving a person) –

8. adrianna says:

My great niece’s Flat Stanley came to Florida from Michigan over Christmas. At least he never needed a jacket and didn’t have to shovel snow. He got to go along to eat dinner outdoors at a beach restaurant. But the Nile is way more cool!

9. ~Amy says:

Did you reformat your blog? It comes up weird for me now. Hard to read. Even posting this comment looks strange.
    Anyway, you are one cool mom.
    ~Amy

10. Muddy says:

The things you learn online. I was clueless about what “Flat Stanley” was until this post and finally a link to know who he is.

11. Betsy Bird says:

So I guess that’s a little cooler than when our Flat Stanley went to Kentucky? Please don’t tell my kids. It will give them good material to tell their therapists some day.

12. Shalee says:

Now Shannon, you know that you’re cool mom WAY more than one brief, shining moment… Every time you make redneck garlic bread, you reach the height of stardom in your family!
    That Flat Stanley is like icing on the cake.

13. Erin says:

I will have to show this to my 2nd grade class tomorrow. They will be foaming at the mouth with jealousy. LOL!

14. Michelle says:

Being the cool mom rocks! Enjoy it because if your house is anything like mine, tomorrow you will do something to completely mortify them!!

15. fabthemayor says:

But when your family follows Nascar like mine does, and your mom takes your Flat Stanley to the Atlanta Motor Speedway when she has garage passes, and she is not one bit shy about asking all those big Nascar stars to pose for a picture with Flat Stanley…oh, yes, I did, girlfriend! (Yes, Dear Husband was udderly mortified that I actually asked them to do that for me!)

16. Heidi says:

You are so cool! Our Flat Stanley only made it to an elementary school in Illinois and then back home to Indy.

17. Justine says:

If anyone wants a flat stanley in Singapore photo, let me know! I’m happy to receive – photo – mail back :o)

18. Jack's Mommy says:

I feel so outta the loop… I had to google flat stanley to learn what you were talking about!! Granted I wont have a child until 9 weeks from now.. 🙂 Maybe it will be around when my boy grows up – it seems like a cool idea!

19. Jolanthe says:

My daughter is thrilled her Flat Mary is visiting Canada – but this! This is too cool. The NILE!! 🙂 You do rock, Mom! 🙂
    Jolanthe

20. Lisa says:

Hilarious! We did Flat Stanley FIVE times–my two and my cousins 3 kids. I think Wyoming [thanks to a truck driver] was the farthest any of them got!

21. Sugar Mama says:

Isn’t that the truth though?! I always feel like the “bad cop” in this house… the boring one that has to set & enforce rules. It is a great feeling when a mom gets to do something cool for her kids!
    Way to go! Who could beat out hippos on the coolness factor?

22. Teresa says:

Wow! ‘Flat Blake’ visited me in Seattle from Oshkosh WI two weeks ago. This was a ‘Flat Stanley’ related activity that my cousin’s first grade son mailed to me. I got some very amused looks from people when I asked them to take our picture. The Nile beats the Puget Sound hands down, as a Flat Stanley adventure!