She’s Just Like You, Only Hairier and With Sharper Teeth

I believe I’ve mentioned one or two or 18 times that, at the end of our trip to Uganda last month, we went on a weekend safari.  It was the experience of a lifetime.

It turns out that the big prize in a Ugandan safari is the chance to see a lion.  They’re hard to spot.  Our guide told us that our particular lodge often went two weeks without a lion spotting.

We saw ten.

Our first lion encounter was along the banks of the Nile.  A mother and her six young cubs yawned and rested sleepily in the grass, barely noticing us gaping at them a mere 50 feet away.

As we stood there in our safari vans, watching the mother with her babies, I was struck at how universal the motherhood experience is.  Even across species, so much of what we do is getting our tribe from point a to point b without anyone forgetting their lunch money or getting sniped by big-game hunters.  You know, the usual stuff.

Lion2

Lion3_2

Lion4

Lion5

Lion6

Lion7

Lion8

Lion9

Poor girl.  I could totally relate.

(Gorgeous photos courtesy of Keely Scott.  Cheesy doctoring courtesy of me.)

57 thoughts on “She’s Just Like You, Only Hairier and With Sharper Teeth

1. Greta says:

How cool to see all those lions?! And the Nile?! I’m only slightly jealous – and it’s a healthy jealousy…really, it is. My fav is the, obviously, teenage daughter. Too cute.

2. Anna says:

I had a moment there. THE NILE! Man.
    I really, really love the cartoon bubbles. I think I will use them the next time I’m out with the kids.
    My favorite part, since Greta shared hers, is when they’re sitting in the middle of the road.

3. Kathy in WA says:

Loved it!! Too funny. Great captions. Isn’t motherhood the same everywhere.
    Dh wrote a long post about budgeting, saving and credit cards. He seems to be sincerely asking for input (still shocked here) and I’d love to know if you have any insight into the topic. Blogs? Books? Helpful thoughts.
    Stop by and help the discussion. We might actually figure out this whole saving and budgeting thing.
    Duckabush Blog

4. Jennifer says:

Only problem is Mommy is in charge of slaying the antelope also. Daddy is probably off sleeping somewhere. That seems to be the only thing male lions do.
    Smiles!

5. Linda Sue says:

A mother’s work is never done – and you sure make it funnier than the average nature guides. You and Sophie need to do a book on nature – you know – monkey alarm systems, lioness subtitling, and most importantly how to dress for steep uphill hikes. I love Jeana’s comment about the Fundana – glad Sophie couldn’t understand lioneese talk or she might have felt a bit like a potential for up close and far too personal!

6. Sheila Gregoire says:

When we were in Kenya we went on two safaris, and I will never forget them.
    BUT WE NEVER SAW A LION! AAAH!
    We did see about a million flamingoes. At one time. You know whenever you watch movies of Africa there’s always a scene at a lake covered in flamingoes, and then they all take off? We saw it. The actual lake. That was cool.
    So were the rhinos. And we saw baby ones. It’s so neat to see stuff that’s endangered actually multiplying.
    So for the rest of you–if you’re ever in Africa and you have the chance, go on safari. Even if it breaks the bank. You’ll never regret it!
    Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

7. Michelle says:

Awesome! I think I like the title the best. I’ve shown my daughter some of the photos on your blog from Africa. She’s 4 and according to her, she apparently is now attending school in Africa. When I said, “Oh that is really far away.” She said she dug a hole for a shortcut. Keep that in mind for your next trip.

8. Jenni says:

Oh, she is SO beautiful! And I loved the commentary. Anthropomorphizing at its finest.
    It must have been such a trip to be viewing all of them with no fence between you all. Can’t imagine!

9. Kim says:

I don’t know, looks like a field trip to me! Ever tried taking 30 10 year-olds anywhere with no parent help? I have. It isn’t pretty.
    Pretty amazing in what those shots are though! I love how they really do seem to catch the relationship between the cats. Even without the “cheezy doctoring”. : )

10. Raising Country Kids says:

After living my entire life on a ranch, I can attest that motherhood is just as frustrating for animals as it sometimes is for humans. Our cows are constantly hollering at their calves when they run too fast, crawl on things they should avoid, and play with naughty calves that are bad influences. It cracks me up.

11. Cousin Matt says:

That kind of luck must run in the family! I believe I saw a similar number in the Serengeti, feeding on a buffalo, stalking gazelle, walking next to our Land Rover, and two different pairs mating, though no cubs. They are such muscled animals for being so lazy…

12. Kathleen says:

I’ve been reading your site for about a month now — I found it a few weeks before you went to Africa. I visit often and find your posts funny, touching and compelling. Thanks for sharing…BTW, love the lion commentary. What an amazing Creator we have!
    Kathleen

13. DeAnna says:

I can TOTALLY relate!!! What we moms have to endure on a daily basis with our youngsters no matter how many we have at the moment.

14. Sally says:

Yes, you’re so right about the motherhood experience being universal, no matter what species!!
    Awesome photos!!

15. pam says:

Dad was in the middle of a spa day, I believe. Mama Lion, while taking care of the kids is essential, also has the responsibility for hunting, killing, and bringing home the bacon, I mean antelope. A woman’s work is never done . . . regardless of the species.

16. Proverbs31 says:

LOL! It’s a lot like a trip to the grocery store, right?
    “Keep walking, kids, keep walking.”
    “Follow the basket please!”
    “Young lady, you-just-grab-ahold-of-the-side-of the-basket-and-you-don’t-let-go!”
    “Get up out of the middle of the aisle, it’s not a bed!”
    “Or a swimming pool.”
    “Or an appropriate place for a tempter tantrum.”
    “Not that temper tantrums are ever appropriate.”
    *sigh*
    😀 Loved the captions. 😀

17. Jodi says:

That is too funny. I can totally relate to Mom Lion there. Today I had to take both of my sons to the grocery store with me. Usually I draw the line at one and today was a good example of why. I came very close to uttering the ‘tail nuzzling’ comment in the store only mine involved the shopping cart he insisted on pushing and the backs of my ankles. Very little makes me more nervous than a young boy pushing a shopping cart directly behind me. I’m constantly braced for the impact.
    On another note – reading the Uganda blogs once again stirred my long-held desire to sponsor a child and this time I did it! You can visit my blog if you’d like to see our Compassion child. Not in Uganda – although I was sure we would choose one from there – but my husband and I were drawn to this child in Tanzania. I’m learning Swahili now!
    Kwa heri!