It’s Just Good Multi-Tasking

The boys did some good work for me yesterday, and I rewarded them with a trip to the local dollar movie.

(By the way, our dollar movie has raised its prices to $1.50, but somehow "the dollar-fifty movie" doesn’t quite flow off the tongue as nicely, does it?)

My kids had been begging to see Alvin and the Chipmunks.  And I was just as excited as I could possibly be, because an hour and a half of listening to chipmunk voices sounds like the very stuff that dreams are made of!

*cough*

In a moment of cleverness on our way out the door, I grabbed the book I’m reading and my little book light.  We sat at the back of the theater, and I got some good reading done while Alvin, Simon and Theodore did their stuff.  I had one tiny moment of guilt, wondering if my book light would disturb anyone around me.  But hey, I thought, it’s the dollar-fifty movie, folks.  You get what you pay for.

Nobody was disturbed (I even turned the booklight sideways just to be sure, giving myself an arm cramp and a headache in the process), and I finished my book.  (It was so stunningly excellent I may have to break my own no-book-review policy in a future blog post.)

But that kind of productivity comes at a price, my friends.  While my mind was riveted to the words on the page, the words of the Chipmunks were evidently funneled straight into my subconscious.  I have been ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-banging myself into near madness all day.

Somebody make it stop.

38 thoughts on “It’s Just Good Multi-Tasking

1. Megan says:

I was going to ask you if you found Alvin and the Chipmunks to be appropriate for the munchkins, but now I realize you probably have no idea. *grin*

2. Debby says:

Good gravy! $1.50 for a movie??? Our matinee price is $7.00!!! I liked the movie, but then, I also LOVE me some Jason Lee. My only complaint is with the choice of previews. I did NOT like my kids watching a preview for that wretched 27 dresses movie with frank sexual language. Charming.

3. adrianna says:

Now you must review the book because I want to know what you thought. It’s been a while since I read it. That’s all I’ll say until you have your say first.

4. Ann Kroeker says:

Looks like you just sneaked in a great WFMW idea on a Tuesday!
    Ah, your book.
    My father-in-law was born and raised in the *exact* area she wrote about. I asked him to read it and tell me how accurately she depicted the area. He said she was spot-on with the language and description…but I think he was discouraged by the story overall, because his parents were missionaries. He was a missionary kid growing up there. His parents weren’t anything like the parents in the story, and it’s just one family, but it was hard for him not to take it personally.
    Powerful story, though, isn’t it?

5. Ann Kroeker says:

Looks like you just sneaked in a great WFMW idea on a Tuesday!
    Ah, your book.
    Powerful story, though, isn’t it?

6. Michelle says:

You missed a really good movie! I am not one who likes comedies and I was laughing so loud the people in front of me were turning around giving me strange looks. Love the CD – I need to send it to you. I feel certain your crew would love it as much as we do. I just went to see Horton Hears a Who – good movie, but I wish I would have thought of the book/book light.

7. Kim :-) says:

It could be worse. Your kids could have downloaded that on iTunes and play it all day long.
    But then you would have MY life.
    Help. Send earplugs.

8. cyn says:

Oh me! A book light and a book at the movie with the kids?!?!?! Brilliant. I must try. BUt first I must buy a wee book light ! Thanks for the idea.

9. BecomingMe says:

You are clever…I would have never thought to bring a book and book light to a $1 theater. Hmmm, but what is worse having Chipmunk or Strawberry Shortcake songs stuck in ones head? Probably equal crazy-making properties in each.

10. Julie Stiles Mills says:

I can make it stop. Close your eyes. Clear you mind. Are you ready?
    It’s a small world after all, it’s a small world after all, it’s a small world after all it’s a small, small world. It’s a world of laughter . . .
    heh, heh, heh. 🙂

11. Mary says:

I love your blog and definitely all the comments. At 72, I am so enjoying reading about all you girls and your little ones. It cracks me up! My little ones are 46 and 49 and even they don’t have little ones anymore. Thanks everyone.

12. Lady S says:

Best book ever!
    We don’t have a dollar theater here, but it was my favorite place to see a movie in college. They had the best movie popcorn anywhere.

13. Mommy Cracked says:

You have a THEATER????
    Sorry, they closed ours over a year ago and we have to drive 45 minutes away to see movies now. *sigh*
    LOVE the book reading idea, though!

14. Melanie says:

Poisonwood is a classic to me. After I began reading, it didn’t take long before I recognized their voices. Genius writing indeed.

15. Marianne says:

Oh my, this is my fave book by her.
    It must be something to read this after visiting Africa.
    The mother in this story is made of candy-cane striped steel – what a journey!
    Walla-walla-bing-bang to ya!

16. Ronnica says:

I went to 10,000BC the other night with some new acquaintances and an old friend only because she was going and joked about bringing a book since it sounded boring (I thought it was all action). It turned out to be more drama, so halfway through the movie one of the guys leaned over and said, “Maybe a book wasn’t such a bad idea after all.”

17. Tammy says:

I am ruined for life after that movie. Every time I hear “Had a Bad Day” I hear the chimpmunks singing it now instead of Daniel Powter. It’s just wrong!
    (And I’m loving the comment from Mary, 72, she sounds so sweet)

18. Shannon White says:

Dear Shannon,
    I’ve loved reading your blog for months. If you ever get the chance (cause you know you have oodles of free time : )) stop by and check out my blog sometime. Hopefully I can entertain you half as much as you have entertained me. : )

19. Gego says:

Just preparation for being a Grandmother, Shan.
    BUT, as a Grandmother, you don’t get to take a book, just have to remember not to snore. love y’all, Gego

20. Heidi says:

I have not seen the movie. But, I would like to thank you for transferring the song of choice to my brain!!! Since I have read this post….it is going over and over and over in my mind. Has it stopped for you yet!?!! I am pretty sure it happened by osmosis, so you should be fine the rest of the week!! : )
    LOVED the sock idea!! Makes PERFECT sense!! Husbands. They miss out on so much real logic!! : )
    Always love your posts. Thank you!

21. ruth says:

I just want to sincerely apologize–I am trying to do my first WFMW post and I am using trial and error to figure it out. If I ever do this again, I will try to remember what I have learned through trial and error today.
    You deleted me a couple of times for having links wrong, and I am so sorry to be testing your patience like this. I think I finally got it right, but now I see myself in the queue (is that the right term?) twice, at 183 and 210 or 211. I would be very happy if you would remove one of them. Again, I apologize the trouble.

22. Bahama Mama says:

Whoever invented that chipmunk voice has some serious ‘splaining to do. My 10 year old has memorized all those Chipmunk movie songs and thinks nothing of long, impromptu concerts.

23. Crystal says:

I absolutely loved Poisonwood Bible when I read it a few years ago. A great book. Made my husband do the Alvin and the Chipmunks duty. They all loved it, hubby included.

24. Wendy says:

Ah, you’re speaking of a “brainworm” – a song that worms its way into your brain and will not leave. Just read about this in my latest book – Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks – if you want to read my review see my blog. I’ll have to use your idea when I get back to escorting kids to movies.

25. GiBee says:

Ok … I only have one child, so I’m left scratching my head trying to figure out how you ever find time to read??? I’m in awe… and in even more awe that you took advantage of a $1.50 movie to finish your book!