New Every Morning

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:22-23

I don’t know about you, but tonight I needed to read that.

New every morning.

Every morning.  A new big batch of God’s compassions for this messed-up, funky heart of mine.

I’ll sigh, and I’ll rest in Him tonight.  And tomorrow I’ll start over.

16 thoughts on “New Every Morning

1. Emily says:

Oh, Shannon… remember also that God loves you so much and is using you in your family and with us faithful blog-readers, too. No matter how bad your day was, there are a lot of people (virtual but I know real too!) who think you are great and who are inspired by you!!
    Have a great night!!
    Emily (Wheaton College sophomore, faithful reader and inspired Jesus-lover)

2. Fran says:

Shannon…
    I just prayed this for a dear precious friend today. Her brother was tragically killed and the funeral is tomorrow…Good Friday…how crazy!
    But, there is not enough “thank you’s” to give back to the Lord for His new mercy every single day.
    Happy Easter friend! I celebrate Him with you!

3. Marianne says:

After they’ve had a hard day, I always tell my weefolk that God wants us to be our best selves so much that he made sunsets and sunrises.
    Sunsets, so that we may rest; and sunrises, so that we can try again to be who He wants us to be.
    Here’s to being a better version of ourselves tomorrow than we were today!
    🙂

4. Jolene says:

Reminds me of Nichole Nordeman’s lyrics…
    Your mercies are new every morning
    So let me wake with the dawn
    When the music is through or so it seems to be
    Let me sing a new song, old things gone
    Every day it’s true, You make all Your mercies new
    AMEN TO THAT!!!

5. kelli in the mirror says:

My birthday is 3/21, and in fifth grade my Sunday school teacher went through the Bible and found each of us a “birthday verse”. She chose that one for me, tacking on the verse before to make it match my birthday. It’s one of my favorite passages in the whole Bible. Thanks for the reminder.

6. Denise says:

Psalm 40:11
    As for you, O Lord, you will not restrain your mercy from me; your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me!

7. Darci says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks I love your sense of humor. This morning that verse is also for me! I am walking through a deep dark valley. Thank you for posting it!

8. Sarah says:

Man, Shannon, I really needed that tonight. Thank you! Nothing like the children’s pastor’s wife having a mommy-meltdown on the way to the Good Friday service at church. Oh dear. My 4 yr. old DD was saying, “Mommy, how about you not yell anymore,” as we were driving there. Needless to say, during the service I was overwhelmed with my huge need for the forgiveness that is possible because of the cross. “new every morning…” Hallelujah!