Six

We were on our way home from an especially well-played soccer match.  My son Joseph settled happily back in the seat and sighed.

"Mom," he said.  "I feel, deep in my heart, that I’m about to be famous."

"Really?  I asked.  "What do you mean?"

"Well," he said, "You know how I’m not famous now?"  I thought for a minute, trying to remember if I’d seen his picture on the cover of People magazine.  Nope.

"Yes, I know."

"Well," he continued, "I just feel, in my heart, like I’m about to be."

He contentedly sighed again, and he gazed out his window.

How easily I forget the wonder of having the mystery and possibility of an entire life stretching out in front of you.

It’s good to be six.

44 thoughts on “Six

1. Amy says:

My niece keeps thinking its her turn to sing at church because God gave her such a beautiful voice. She is 6 and I learn so much from her and her siblings. Cant wait to get my sweet girl home from China!
    Amy
    new blog reader

2. Butterbean says:

That’s too cute. When my 6-yr-old danced in the Nutcracker at Christmas, a little girl asked for her autograph after the performance. Big Girl was very gracious and grown up signing the program. I was a little teary until she said, “Mommy, everybody wants my autograph!” Yes, I’m sure they must…

3. Fran says:

That is just beautiful!! Did you chuckle a little bit under your breath at the 1st statement??? I love those moments. πŸ™‚

4. Marian says:

“Deep in my heart.” Oh, that is sweet.
    This made me think immediately of a cute poem by A.A. Milne:
    THE END
    When I was One,
    I had just begun.
    When I was Two,
    I was nearly new.
    When I was Three,
    I was hardly Me.
    When I was Four,
    I was not much more.
    When I was Five,
    I was just alive.
    But now I am Six, I’m as clever as clever.
    So I think I’ll be Six now for ever and ever.

5. Muddy says:

Marian, I thought of that song too when reading this post.
    Ahh to be six again when your biggest worry is whether or not mom is serving something you DONT like for dinner. πŸ™‚

6. Raising Country Kids says:

Too funny. My six-year-old assumes that she will be a successful Christian pop singer. Her 10-year-old (realist) brother tries to convince her otherwise, and she’ll have none of it.

7. Daphne says:

Love this! I remember thinking the same thing. Hope it works out for him. As far as the blogging world goes, he has a pretty famous mommy, which in turn makes him famous already.

8. Coralie says:

You know, I still thought that when I was TWENTY-six. Now I realize that I couldn’t stand the pressure of fame. I’m appreciating my obscurity these days.

9. brandy says:

That brings tears to my eyes! How can I protect that innocent and pure, untainted hope in my kids?
    What a sweetie.

10. Allison says:

That is just precious! What a perfect description of a 6 year old, too! They are so full of wonder and excitement, and they sure do have their whole lives ahead of them! How great to be 6.
    Like Mariann, I thought of that A.A.Milne poem as well! Perfect!

11. mumple says:

The Howler, at just turned 6, is the most fantastic thing since sliced bread. I’ve been in love with her since school started…I’m wondering when that will change (I hope never).
    Six is the most fun of ages–still little enough that Mommy is important, but leaning into thier independence to give you time to breathe.

12. Sheila says:

Hey, as long as he’s famous for the right reasons, go for it!
    One of my daughter’s friends says that it is her goal to be famous like Paris Hilton. Famous, fine. Paris Hilton? Uh-huh. There is good fame and there is bad fame. Aim for the pulled-a-burning-child-out-of-a-building-while-carrying-a-cat-and-two-gerbils-with-a-broken-arm kind of famous. That’s much better.
    Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

13. Christine @ Serenity How? says:

How precious! I love it. πŸ™‚
    My daughters keep telling me they want to be famous. I don’t know where they even got the idea. Then I found out they think seeing their pictures on the computer makes them famous. Too cute.

14. Nicole says:

That is adorable. you never know maybe it is just one of those premonitions and he really will be famous. Then he can buy you a nice big house.lol

15. Linda Sue says:

What a joy – thank for sharing that with us. I think I’ll be thin – I’m just about to be very svelte – naw it doesn’t work when you are sixty instead of six. But his end of the continuum is WAY cool!

16. Shalee says:

This was such a sweet post, Shannon.
    Heck. I keep thinking that about myself and I’ve got 30 years on him. I’m still waiting for the fame too, but now I’m hoping it’s the kind of fame that I want…