Thoroughly Hopeless

Four children, three states, four mortgages, 427 bouts of stomach viruses and even more episodes of tearfully bad hair coloring (mine, not Hubs)…and I think my marriage may have finally encountered the deal-breaker*:

Is the word "thorough" pronounced THUR-oh or THUR-uh?

(And no, do not tell me how the dictionary says to say it.  Tell me how you say it.  And no, I won’t tell you which one is mine and which one is Hubs’, except to tell you that mine is the right one.)

*I jest, of course.  We are absolutely, totally, geekily, happily, grammatically in love.  There are no deal-breakers in this marriage.  Though if there were one, it would probably be related to bad pronunciation.  I’m just sayin’.

62 thoughts on “Thoroughly Hopeless

1. Debs says:

I’m in London, UK and most people I know around here would say thur-uh.
    Can you add\change your poll to investigate locality?

2. Jodie says:

Hello!
    My name is Jodie Wolfe. I am in the process of researching for a book I would like to write that addresses ten struggles that Christian women face. I would love to have your input as well. You can respond via email or my blog: http://diggingforpearls@blogspot.com
    Thank you for any help you can give me. All I need is the list of ten things as well as your age.
    God bless,
    Jodie Wolfe

3. Jenn says:

well, I don’t know about the rest of Canada but I say THOR-oh. there, that didn’t even make your survey πŸ™‚

4. Edi says:

I never even thought it was an option – THOR-oh is the way to say it!
    I have problems w/some of my pronunciations b/c I’m an ex-Canadian. So I can’t always remember the American way of saying something…words like pasta, vase, semi, garage, asphalt get me confused. Though perhaps they are just family mispronunciations…

5. pam says:

You’re funny. Before brain burps started I could get grammar out there correctly. Now I’m lucky to remember what the next word was that I was thinking as I was typing. Around my part of the world I confess I still GROAN LOUDLY and CRINGE when “went” is used in a sentence instead of “gone”. I never notice the pronunciation differences.

6. Butterbean says:

Thur – Oh! (location: Georgia) Though, like Michelle, I do think I say thoroughly “thur-uh-ly”.

7. Valerie says:

Thur-oh
    Thur-uh-ly
    And if Mr. at Home and I were ever through it would also be over a grammatical/pronunciation issue. Like the fact that he strongly believes the word to be pronounced proNOUNciation.

8. Jeni says:

Our ongoing debate is for grocery.
    Him – grossery
    Me – groshury
    I know I’m right. OK, he may be TECHNICALLY right, but who says that???

9. JH says:

My husband and I have a similar argument going on with regard to the word “nuclear.” I say there is only ONE “u” and that the proper pronounciation is “nuc-le-ar.” Anything else, in my mind, is a mispronounciation, and that’s just as true when the President of the United States says the word wrong (which I find totally frightening) as it is when anyone else mispronounces it. Hubby, however, says “nuc-u-lar” is an “alternative pronounciation.” Mmmmmmm… NO.
    Oops, sorry, hopping down off my soapbox. I say “thur-oh.”

10. canadacole says:

I’m with the other Canadians, saying THOR-oh. Sorry. But I think I say THUR-oh-ly sometimes. My accent is all confused. Irish father and American tv, what have you done?

11. Sarah says:

OOoo! I’m a thur-oh/thur-uh-lee person, too; thur-oh-lee sounds awkward. But thur-uh reminds me of Wilbur’s buttermilk bath in Charlotte’s Web.

12. Smockity Frocks says:

For a long time I thought my husband had some kind of speech impedement because he said “rurnt” for “ruined”. Then I realized it’s an Alabama thang.

13. Momandmore says:

I asked my husband who is the grammar expert around here and he agreed with me that it’s thur-OH. I had to ask him because I don’t always get the grammar game. Like the difference between bring and take. I can’t get that one straight. What about the word huge? Do you say it with an “h” sound at the beginning or without? Just wondering. Happy debating.
    Michelle

14. Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife says:

I envision ‘thur-uh’ coming out of the mouth of a man named Jim Bob Billy as he is sitting in front of an old gas station with a piece of straw hanging out of his mouth.
    I should know – I live in Alabama. πŸ™‚

15. momrn2 says:

You are going to tell us which is yours and which is your hubs once we’ve all voted right? πŸ™‚ Just cause I’m curious…

16. momrn2 says:

I’m curious… will you share who in your family says it which way once the votes are in??
    You know… just so when I have the opportunity to talk/meet you face to face someday I can share about how thoroughly ecstatic I am without saying it all wrong.
    πŸ™‚

17. momrn2 says:

Sorry for the duplicate comments. The first one didn’t appear immediately… until after I posted the second one. Now you’ll have a third… *sigh*

18. Mommy says:

My husband and I have a similar “argument” about the words oppossum and possum-I am sure I spelt them wrong though!
    I must say that I agree with the majority on yours- thur-oh is the way I say it.

19. bee says:

Well, my Mema says “thur-er”. But she says a lot of things that might sound wacky “up north” (which by her definition is anything out of a 30 mile radius of her house.

20. A&EMom says:

Since the overwhelming majority voted “oh”, I’m hoping for your sake it’s the right way – or you’re likely to spend the afternoon in a quite corner curled up into the fetal position.

21. Christine says:

Thur-oh. And I have to say, if it wasn’t already totally obvious, the fact that you made the “-oh” option the default on the vote makes it pretty clear what side you’re coming down on. Hehehhe!
    I think my hub makes up weird pronunciations to mess with me. Not that we go around talking like fairy tale characters on a daily basis, but the brick thing in front of the fireplace – I call that the hearth, as in “harth”, like the word “heart” at the front of the word. Hubs? He calls it a “herth”, as in “earth” at the end of the word. I had never in all my life ever heard it called a “herth” til I met him. I correct him on it everytime! He really likes that. Whoever heard of a herth!?!

22. Undomestic Diva says:

I had to put my husband up for sale because of life-changing decisions like these that we could not see eye-to-eye on. Sometimes, it’s just what you have to do…
    If anyone’s looking for a slightly-used (but in good condition) husband, then come my way.
    Otherwise, it’s gotta be THUR-OHHHHHHHH.

23. Coralie says:

I voted for thur-oh (despite being a Canadian) but my husband pronounces it thur-al. I’ve always wondered if it’s just him, or if it’s some regional mis-understanding out there that I’d never heard before.
    Anyone else know of any thur-als?

24. Heather says:

I (a Canadian) also say THOR-oh which wasn’t an option… I’m also dying to know who was on which side πŸ˜‰

25. Amy says:

This is my first time commenting, and I have to tell you I am such a fan. I’m a little nervous to have gone against you in the pronunciation thing on my first time out of lurkerdom, so I’ll just say that I voted and I totally agree with you.

26. Shalee says:

“O” sound for both thorough and thoroughly, in my book at least. The vowel sound shouldn’t change just because there’s an ly on the end… And that’s with my being raised in the South were we can mispronounce everything!

27. Alice says:

“Thur-oh” for sure (northern Illinois). I’m sure we both agree on that at our house. But do NOT get us started on the correct pronunciation of “coupon.”

28. Patsy Clairmont says:

Aren’t words fun! And husbands, well, cmon now they are hilarious.
    Yesterday: All the tornado sirens were blaring with loud speakers telling us to take cover, but would my husband get in the closet? Oh, no.
    Any other time he would have thought a closet invitation a sexy ploy and dove in head first, but to save his life-nah, not so much.
    Yep, guys are a riot when they aren’t being thur-oh-ly frustrating! (smile)

29. Sarah says:

My husband and I have an on-going disagreement about the word frustrate. Being from the West Coast, I pronounce it “fustrate” without the “r” sound. He insists it is “fRustrate”, and makes fun of my pronounciation. I still maintain that I am right. πŸ™‚

30. Someone Being Me says:

It really depends. I live in Texas where you can abuse any grammatical rules and it is generally ok. I waffle between the pronounciations depending on who I am talking to. I also do this with the word envelope (on-velope or in-velope).

31. Mrs. Wilson says:

I can’t believe that (so far) 37 people are SO wrong!!!
    haha
    We’ve got a “deal breaker” with the word “won”. Is it pronounced like “won ton” or does it rhyme with “fun”?
    I hope you’re proven right!!!

32. Amber (Proverbs31) says:

LOL! I hadn’t had a chance to take the quiz before I saw your response post, so I headed over and saw the results and might I just say HOLY COW! That “ain’t” even close, is it? πŸ˜›
    I also realized that I say:
    “He did a very THUR-OH job.”
    yet:
    “I am THUR-UH-LY confused.” (Almost said like THUR-LY even.)
    Go figure. Guess it’s good ole Texan lazy speakin’. Throughly is just too long to get all the phonetic sounds it deserves. πŸ˜›

33. Marie says:

My husband says eh-vri-thin’ instead of everything. And he denies it completely. Aren’t you the one that also says pa-JAH-mas instead of pa-JAM-as? πŸ˜‰