I Love You All, Even Though You’re Dead Wrong

Hm.

Well.

Who knew so many of you pronounced it THUR-oh?  I’m a THUR-uh girl myself, even though Lisa said "I envision ‘thur-uh’ coming out of the mouth of a man named Jim Bob Billy as he is sitting in front of an old gas station with a piece of straw hanging out of his mouth."

Seeing as how I grew up around people named Jim Bob Billy who sit in front of gas stations, I suppose this would explain things.

But really and truly, without a bit of sarcasm (OH, not a BIT) I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for participating so enthusiastically in a survey that publicly proves me wrong in a 14-year-old debate with my husband.  Oh, he’s just going to be a peach to live with tonight.

49 thoughts on “I Love You All, Even Though You’re Dead Wrong

1. Annie says:

I saw THUR-oh when used as a word by itself and say THUR-uh ly like when I say thoroughly hopeless.
    How weird IS that? But then English is not my mother tongue.

2. mzzterry says:

In the future we it might serve you better if you told us whose SIDE we were voting on in a poll like this!!! That way we could REALLY think long & hard and consider our answer before we voted AGAINST our dear, sweet, albeit wrong, friend!! =o)

3. Melanie says:

I took the poll earlier and realized how much I am in the minority.
    I was thor-UGH-ly disappointed.
    We should start a Movement.

4. Muddy says:

I say salmon with the L pronounced while it appears most do not pronounce the L. It bugs me to no end to hear it without the L. I know the dictionary in our house even proved me wrong…that is until I changed it in the dictionary šŸ˜‰ (YES, I DID)

5. Lisa Nall says:

I do this as well.

6. shalee says:

Out of all the things that I’ve read today, this one is by far the best, Shannon. I’m laughing over the teasing that you’re going to get later. Oh how I wish I could be a fly on your wall come 5 PM…

7. PollyS says:

I’m with you sista!
    And don’t get me started on the pecan debate. I’ve debated so many times that I’m tired.

8. Jesse says:

I also say thur-uh-ly…but I say thur-oh…but I was raised in Missouri, where the people say “Mis-ZER-ugh” instead of “Mis-ZER-ee” and “worsh” instead of “wash”.
    And for the record, I say “pe-CAHN”, unless I get a wild hair, and then I say “PE-can”

9. Linds says:

I agree… move to the UK and you will have no problem at all. There is ONLY one way to pronounce it and you win!! And didn’t we invent English?? Huh???

10. Stretch Mark Mama says:

In our house? It’s THANKS-giving and Thanks-GIVING. The home fries start burning right around October when we start out various pronunciations (that drive the other one nuts).
    Oh, but you could be MORE hick, say, like my Dad, who says things like “WaRsh the deeshez.”

11. Tina says:

I’m a Thor-Oh gal, but I grew up around Philadelphia where we drink wooder (water), so maybe you shouldn’t use my opinion? šŸ˜€

12. Lauren says:

Well for what its worth…since you listed Thur-oh first, I tried to be sly and vote for the choice I thought you were subliminally projecting for us to choose!
    and as far a “pah-cahn” or “p-can”…my grandfather used to tell me that a “p-can” was something you took with you on the boat when you went fishin’
    šŸ˜‰

13. Jenifer says:

Hi Shannon – this is your old neighbor from Colorado Ave. and I’m a “THUR-uh kind of gal as well!! I’ve loved reading you blog these last several months!

14. Minnesotamom says:

We have similar debates, that Husband and me. Some are:
    Creek/crick
    milk/melk
    pillow/pellow
    alcohol/elcohol
    Clearly the first choice in each of those is the correct, but he refuses to see it. šŸ™‚

15. Beth says:

Ouch – that’s the worst when the husbands get to gloat! If I may add another point to the debate, I am from the state of Missouri. I have NEVER been able to understand why so many of our own residents (probably about 1/3-1/2), not to mention visiting politicians, pronounce it Miss-ur-uh. How do you look at a word with an “i” on the end and think the final sound is an “uh”?? At least “thorough” ends in a “ugh,” so even though I’m in the “thur-oh” camp, I can see where it’s somewhat rational to look at that word and say “uh.”
    Yes, I have serious grammar nerd issues. Thank you for helping me confront them publicly šŸ˜‰

16. Christine says:

Oh dear. I’m so sorry you’re going to have put up with the hub tonight. I thought for sure you were the Thor-oh one considering how you set up the poll. Perhaps in an attempt to distract him from his correctness and therefore all the gloating, you could ask him why the word “thoroughfare” has both the “-gh” and the “-f” in it when really, you’ve got the “thor-o” part of the word covered by the time you get to the “-gh” so why bother with both?
    Or you could redirect with something like, “yeah, you may say ‘thorough’ correctly but Patsy Clairmont commments on my blog so pphhtthhhpphhh”. Clearly you’re the cool one in the family šŸ˜‰

17. Louise says:

Well now that I’m reading the comments… I do say Thur-OH but I also say Thur-uh-ly. My dad used to say Vit-a-min and I say Vite-amin; My grandma used to say Ampron instead of Apron; and then there is the Calm before the storm.. I say CAWM and my day used to say CAM

18. Grace says:

Shannon, I was just watching TV and I saw Angelica Huston say “THOR-uh…” I immediately thought of you!! If a famous actress agrees with you, at least that gives you some defense against Mr. Dryer!!! šŸ˜€

19. oh amanda says:

I’m thur-OH, myself! Yikes.
    Our debate is peh-CAHN verus pee-CAN. And oh, I will never ever say that word in front of my dh b/c you can guarantee a 30 minute conversation about how I pronounce it…which is of course, the correct way, peh-cahn!

20. Amy says:

This is the advantage to having grown up in the same town as my husband. We pronounce everything correctly to each other. šŸ™‚

21. Kyleen says:

I thur-oh-ly voted here from Minnesota. My grandma is from Mis-sur-a and she would side with you. That is after she worshed the clothes!

22. JD says:

Southern California So I am a “like totally thur-OOOOH-ma gosh!” in a high annoying pitch:)
    We are having a Give away at Tripping Over Cobblestone Too!
    I am trying to explain to people that it really isn’t an april fools joke! LOL

23. Givinya de Elba says:

Oh boy, sorry to hear you went down in the poll. Don’t worry, there’s a whole nation of people over here who say “thur-uh”. Secretly, we Aussies point and laugh when we hear someone saying “thur-oh”! Well, maybe we don’t, but we’re on your side!

24. Jeana says:

I lost my connection while trying to comment on that one (but I did vote! Do I get a sticker?) but I was going to comment that in the part of the country that you and I live in I wouldn’t bat an eye at hearing “thur-uh”. My mom says “pill-uh” and “yell-uh” too.

25. Elizabeth says:

What really gets me going, though, is “sawl” for “saw”. That’s worse than “warsh” for “wash”. Where does that even come from??

26. Jan says:

Obviously most of your readers did not have the good fortune to be born and raised in the south. A thur-uh disappointment.

27. Carrie says:

Hmmm…well, I voted Thur-OH but realized just now that I pronounce thoroughly THUR-UH-LY. Interesting!

28. Beth says:

I used to get harassed for saying “Quit!” Apparently, I pronounced it “quee-it.” I have toned down my southern-ness, but there is a little drawl in it. It’s still got two syllables šŸ™‚

29. Heidi says:

But if you start saying “thur-oh”, somebody will accuse you of being a Yankee. Would you really want that? And where’s he from, anyway?