Thoroughly Vindicated

Many thanks to reader Jenny, who sent me this link (turn up your speakers) to the proper BRITISH pronunciation of the word thorough.  And it has to be right, because they have a queen.

Cheerio, y’all.

28 thoughts on “Thoroughly Vindicated

1. Tricia says:

My British Sister in Law is always trying to convince me that in Heaven we will all speak the Queen’s English.
    Y’all know we down in the South don’t buy that for a minute!

2. Ronda says:

I always thought that the American Southern accent was a direct descendant of the British accent! Now, of course, once we went into the hills, we made it all our own-ha!

3. Jill says:

I am pretty sure that has only vindicated you if you in fact are British. Cause the “American” is still thor-oh. And since my British friends call their sweaters “jumpers” I am going to stick to speaking American.

4. Debs says:

See, I said that’s how we say it over here (I’m a Londonder!). And if asked, I would have said that Americans say it -oh.

5. Darci says:

What about the Canadian way to say it? I do blame my American parents for not saying it the Queen’s way.

6. Denise says:

oh…whatever. Don’t you remember The Patriot? That English guy just SHOT Thomas – right there in front of his dad and his little sisters. Just shot him dead. They canNOT be trusted.

7. Philippa says:

Hey God made us all different. As a Brit I say thur-uh! As for the jumper/sweater debate, they don’t jump and they don’t sweat so both are silly!! I would like to submit trousers/pants for consideration. LOL! Language is a funny thing.
    Lots of love from across the pond.

8. Mark Thomas says:

Haha, what a ridiculous website!
    I’ve actually read that historians believe that our (American) dialect of General English is actually the Queen’s original English. That it later evolved into the modern British English. Just thought I’d throw that out there.