Spring Fashion Fiesta

Sff Today my friend Big Mama is hosting the Spring Fashion Fiesta, in which we should post "the dreams we have for our closet".

I don’t blog about clothes very often, mostly because (unlike my fashion-savvy friends), I don’t have a lot to add to the conversation.  My primary fashion goal boils down to this:

Don’t embarrass anybody.

And it is not something I always achieve.  Go ahead and ask Sophie about the time in Africa I almost wore white socks–with pink toes–with sandals, because we were getting on a plane and my feet were cold.  I believe Sophie’s exact words were, "Honey, I love you too much to let you do that."

I would like to tell you that I neglect fashion because I’m such a Deep Thinker, and because I’m generally Too Serious to care about such frivolity.

In fact, it’s because I have such serious hair issues that the part of brain that governs personal appearance is just too tied up wondering what to do with my bangs.

But in the spirit of Big Mama’s carnival, I will do my best to muster up my very paltry fashion observations:

1.  Low-waist jeans are of the devil.
I know they are fashionable, but there are very few people that can pull this off, especially if you have ever housed another little human in your abdominal area.  I have made it my goal to find jeans that are fashionable but still actually come all the way up to my belly button, in order to hold everything in.  Anyway, low-waist jeans serve no purpose for me, because no one ever sees my waist band.  I haven’t tucked in a shirt in the last seven years, nor will I ever again, most likely.

2.  Empire waist shirts are the greatest invention since disposable diapers.
Shirts that are snug around the bust and then flowy around the mid-section cover a multitude of sins.  That’s all I have to say about that.

3.  I hope capri pants never go out of style, because I will never stop wearing them.
The alternative to capri pants, of course, are shorts, and those days are long gone for me.  I will wear capri pants until I die, long after they go out of style.  My grandchildren will shake their heads at me for this the same way I shake my head at women who wear polyester pants.  I do not care.

4.  Can we please just get over the high-heel thing already?
Everybody’s wearing high-heels with jeans.  And capris.  And even shorts.  Whatever.  I suspect that the person who first started this trend never had to chase a three year old through the frozen-food section.  If I feel I must have a heel, I generally go with wedges.  They’re much easier on the feet.

5.  Men dig skirts.
Or at least, my man does, and he’s really the only man I’m worried about.  Every spring, when I start wearing skirts again, he always says, "I love it when you wear skirts!  Why haven’t you been wearing them?"  And I remind him that it’s been, you know, winter.  But all spring and summer I make a special effort to wear sporty skirts a lot.  They’re cooler than pants, and my husband swoons.  Oh yes.  He swoons.

And that is all.

For a longer list of posts from people who actually know what they’re talking about, head over to Big Mama’s place.

Posted in: Fun

69 thoughts on “Spring Fashion Fiesta

1. April says:

I am so with you on the low waist pants – I will never, ever wear them – they just let that ‘extra baby’ that isn’t really there hang right on over!

2. joanna says:

“here, here” on the skirts. since i don’t want to spend a lot of money on skirts so my husband will swoon, i sew them instead.

3. karen says:

Amen to the skirt thing. I was beginning to think I was the only one wearing skirts anymore. Of course my husband is probably happy about the skirt thing because I have spent the winter bundled in sweatpants.

4. adrianna says:

I agree on the low waist jeans, high heels, and capris. But vehemently disagree on empire waist shirts – and it’s hard to find anything else. At 60+, I don’t want to look like I’m wearing a maternity top!

5. Amy says:

You are dead on with lowrise jeans and high heels, but I’m afraid that I agree with Adrianna. I will never wear empire waist shirts for fear that people will think I’m pregnant again.
    One more thing that I am so over is girls wearing their shirts and jeans so tight that all you can see is a big “beer belly” from all the fat being pushed outward because it has nowhere else to go. So tacky. I’m nowhere near Kate Moss, but please people, it’s all about camoflauge!

6. Edi says:

I too love capri pants. I’m in agreement about the high heels with everything. I sometimes wear them with a skirt or dress but that’s my limit. Oh and once in awhile I might wear them with a pair of dress pants. But for the most part I appreciate comfort too much to waste energy hobbling along.
    I have no confidence in my ability to determine “style” – so I kind of just go with what I feel looks good.

7. melissa says:

the problem with empire waist style shirts, is that one can be identified as preggo when really not…that’s no fun.

8. Kim says:

Okay, be nice to the low waist jeans!
    Angels sang “Hallelujah” and “Amen” and “Oh, BABY!” when low waisted jeans were born!
    We short-waisted beauties can FINALLY wear jeans that don’t snap around our rib cages right under our boobies!

9. Ronda says:

I agree 110% with the low waist jeans/pants. Why can’t they make more clothes to fit REAL women? I don’t like the empire shirts either. They look like maternity tops on me–not the look I want right now! I only like skirts in the summer when I can wear them with sandals & no pantyhose. No high heels. My rule for shoes is that (no matter how cute they are) they must not hurt my feet.

10. Shalee says:

Oh, I think you know what you’re talking about, Shannon. And I know from first hand experience that you look downright cute in your wears…
    I agree with your low-ridding jeans comment, but I still have a couple. Two given to me and one from the ebay lot I won.
    Empire shirts make me look preggers… not exactly the spring look I was going for.
    I’m just coming into this capri thing. Being short, those capris make me look as if I’m wearing highwaters. I finally have two pairs (from the ebay lot again) that look really good on me. I was amazed and then I declared “Help me in my unbelief!” and He did.
    Amen to the high heels and such. Good grief. I just want to be comfy!
    I love skirts! They make me feel so pretty! And I love the way it feels when Mr. Right runs his hands up and down my legs… Ahhh, bliss!

11. kelly says:

You are my fashion guru. I agree with you on all but the empire waist thing. I think if someone asked if I was pregnant it would ruin my day…or week…or possibly year. Anyway that was a fun post. Kelly

12. seussgirl says:

We of the long-torsoed set must humbly take exception to numbers 1 and 2. ALL jeans are low-waisted whether we buy them tagged as such or not. And no empire-waisted shirts fit right; that cute little gather below the bust line on appropriately-proportioned women? Yeah, that just cuts us through the middle. Not so flattering, you might say.
    But your post made me laugh, and so I submit these exceptions with a smile. 🙂

13. gretchen from lifenut says:

WIth you on the skirts. I love them too.
    I like low-waisted jeans because the way the pockets lie are more flattering to my buttal area. Mom jeans ELONGATE the butt. The pockets have to be huge, which makes the whole area far more startling from behind. My theory.
    I look preggie in the empire waist stuff. And even some non-empire stuff.
    I wear high-heeled black boots with my jeans in the winter. It’s the style ’round these parts and I delude myself into thinking they are slimming.
    Otherwise, I’m all about the ballet flats that are everywhere now. So cute with a twirly skirt and cardigan—straight out of 1957.

14. Liz C says:

Empire Waist = Prow Of Ship for anyone over a B-cup. Which is sad, because I see my daughter in her cute little B-cup outfits, and think, “OH, I Want That!”
    I look forward to spring because once it stops blizzarding and gets above freezing my HUSBAND breaks out the skirts, and I swoon. A kilted man with gorgeous legs is a truly fashionable thing, no matter the century.

15. Kelley says:

As a rather large mama-type myself, I, too, used to think I could never wear the cute and fashionable low-waist jeans after three pregnancies. THEN I actually tried some on (at the urging of an Old Navy employee). I don’t enjoy the ultra-low rise jeans, but the ones just below the waist are SOOO liberating (read: “I can breathe!”), and they don’t produce the muffin-top effect I had anticipated. In fact, I think they’re even MORE flattering to my shape than the waist-high (or high-waist) jeans I used to wear.
    I’ve crossed the [waist]line, and I have no desire to go back. Don’t knock ’em ’til you try ’em, ladies!!

16. Melissa says:

Love your options. I’d love to wear those very cute empire-waist tops, but they just don’t work out for me (echoing the prow-of-ship commenter – I’m WAY over a B), although hope springs eternal. My bustline doesn’t need to be accentuated in any way. Maybe I should just go ahead and opt for the muu-muu.

17. Mary says:

I, too, have a problem with jeans hitting my ribs and mid rise would be my choice. About capris, why can’t someone make them for petites? I agree with the lady that says they look like high waters. I have been given several and bought several with the hope they would look like capris but to no avail. I keep looking. At 72, I am finally learning what to buy but people still give me stuff. I have one friend who has completely filled my closet. That is how she loves, I guess and I love her.

18. jenny says:

You are my kind of fashion girl. I haven’t tried the empire shirts, but the covering a multitude of sins part sounds appealing to me. I like my Old Navy jeans that hit just below my bellybutton. They hold in the post baby jiggle and are way comfy. I completely agree with you on capris, and heels. I haven’t worn skirts in years, but it might be a nice change of pace for me.

19. Emily says:

I agree. With all of it.
    My daughter (4 yrs old) likes it when I wear skirts. I find myself dressing more for her than myself or my husband. It’s a harsh reality, isn’t it?

20. groovyoldlady says:

Ah…but one GOOD thing about low(er) waisted pants is that you can breathe when you wear them AND they don’t give you indigestion.
    Wait, that’s two things. Apparently they don’t increase math skills.
    I am with you on capris. Caris pretty much ROCK!

21. janmary says:

I took part too.
    Empire lines – you can see lots of mine on my blog! I just could not think of the “technical term” – but I do believe they are heaven sent.

22. zoom says:

I adore capris with a passion. My husband loves it when I wear skirts – Me – Not so much. I have to shave, I realize I am freakishly white, and I have to sit in a lady like position – all day.

23. Colleen says:

Add to thong underwear to your section on heels. Can we just agree that no human person could really think they are comfortable and move on? If you say they’re comfortable, you’re lying, not sexy. Its like kissing another girl in a bar. We know you’re really not bi, and so do those guys you’re trying to impress.

24. HeresTheDiehl says:

I’m with Kelley. Low waisted jeans are the best…not ultra low rise, but those that hit below the belly button an inch or two are WAY more flattering than a pair that comes up to your belly button. Just my 2 cents…

25. Kris says:

If you were still in the “blessed South,” I would so invite you over for a glass of sweet tea. We would get along famously, I suspect.
    Thanks for the laugh. 😉

26. LeeAnn (AKA FrazzMom) says:

I love the low waisted jeans- but only because my torso is so short that they’re the only ones that stop at my belly button!
    Higher waisted jeans actually hit me just below my bust. Although if the jeans are tight enough- that isn’t always a bad thing since they can then double as a girdle!

27. Elaine says:

My husband is the same way about skirts, and he even says his favorite are “A-line” skirts. He knows his fashion, I tell ya! ; )

28. GiBee says:

Shorts have not shown their face on my body in well over 8 years. Praise God for the long-length Capri (I’m tall, and it’s all in my legs).

29. Mary Beth Bradshaw says:

My husband is a kindred spirit with yours! LOVES the skirts and dresses. Growing up I used to think my Dad was very Legalistic wanting my MOM to wear dresses to church all the time and anytime they went somewhere.
    NOW that I am a grown up married woman I know he just wanted to look at her legs!

30. elizabeth says:

Leggings. Leggings let you wear skirts in chilly weather. Yea, leggings! Black, no lace of course.
    Shoes? Chuck Taylor and Born. (Or Bjorn? I do not read my shoe labels often enough, I guess.)
    Jeans? Lucky. Not too low and great for me. ‘Cause I’m an artist. Yeah, that’s why they fit me. It has nothing at all to do with my thighs…
    OTHER MUST-HAVES? Those old footie-hose things that my grandmother used to wear, a black leather belt, solid t-shirts and a cute cardigan or 8.

31. Trina says:

I agree with three of yours: empire tops, skirts, capri pants.
    I, however, adore my low rise jeans, with my 4 in’ heels, while chasing my kids around. I even wore heels during my pregnancies. It’s what I’m used to and I love it!

32. Keri says:

I love empire waisted shirts. Until someone asked me when I was due and this was way before I was pregnant! It bummed me out because I like how they hide the fat and draw attention to my thinnest part, just under my boobs.

33. Linda at 2nd Cup says:

You are spot-on. I am 45, and other than around the house, shorts are pretty much a thing of the past. I can’t believe I just said that, but I noticed last summer that I did not wear them in public. I’ve stopped tanning, so there’s no need to inflict the white upsdide-down bowling pin legs on the rest of the world.

34. Lisa says:

You crack me up, every day that I read you. I love your blog and I loved reading about your trip to Uganda. I cried quite a bit too.
    As for low waist jeans, I used to NOT be a fan of them as well. However, I like the ones that NY and Company have as they are more like mid-waist. So, you don’t have jeans that are hiked up to your chest, but you also aren’t wearing jeans that show oyur bootie crack to everyone. And my fat tucks in quite nicely and comfortably with these jeans. I like them so much that I bought three pairs of them. And the price was right too, I think $30 for each pair.
    Just a thought!

35. Stephanie says:

JcPenny has a great brand of jeans that are not low rise, yet they are very affordable and stylish (i got a GREAT pair of dark wash, high waist, boot cut jeans for 22 bucks there!). Look for ‘ana’ brand name next time you’re there.. you won’t be dissappointed!

36. Tina says:

I wear regular waisted Lee Straight-leg jeans with my tops OUT. After 5 kids I won’t ever be tucking in again either!
    And capris are God’s answer to varicose veins. LOVE THEM!

37. praise and coffee says:

Amen Sister! Being tall, I hate the low riders! Every shirt looks like a belly shirt and being the mom of three (well actually 4 but I can’t count the adopted on in this…) I don’t look good in belly shirts!
    Sue

38. Lauren says:

If anyone is committing the muffin top sin, it’s most likely because they are wearing low-waisted jeans. Not always, but more times than not. Not that anyone needs to buy the “mom jean” either. They make other types! A natural waisted, straight (or slightly flared) leg jean will do WONDERS on everyone.

39. Lindsay says:

I have to agree with the empire waist shirts…they totally hide my fourth trimester leftovers 🙂 But I have to disagree with the low waist pants. Whenever I wear higher waisted pants they pinch me around my belly button (though I do love that they hide love handles…) I would NEVER show the belly though. Thank goodness the fashion industry finally started to lower the shirt lines to more concealing levels!

40. Lindsay says: