My Overworked Tear Ducts Beg For Mercy

Y’all are so smart and funny and creative.  I have been at my computer much of the day, watching your haikus roll in.  I have laughed and cried until I can’t take it anymore.  When you have a few minutes, I encourage you to read through the comments.  I promise, it will make you want to call your mom.

But there had to be finalists, and it was incredibly hard to choose.  I tried to select five poems that were representative of all your contributions.   Here we go, in random order:

By Darcie at Such the Spot:
You have taught me that
because of a mother’s love
I will never crack

By Anne Glamore at Tiny Kingdom:
You’ve been gone two years.
Your ghost disses my red hair:
"You look better blonde!"

By Chelsea at Crafty Cassie:
I always thought Mom
was bipolar til I had
children of my own.

By P.A.:
Mom, my heartmother
Not of your womb, but filled with
Your life’s legacy.

By Veronica at Toddled Dredge:
"Girls can’t play ball," they
told her once. Her grand-daughter
pitches and she smiles

Cast your votes below.  The poll will stay open until 9 am this next Tuesday morning–whoever is ahead at that moment wins the Egg Beaters $1,000 prize.  Thanks to everyone who played along.  Your sweet entires were a real blessing to me today.

NOTE: I’ve heard that some people are having a hard time seeing the font in the poll box below.  (Not sure why, because it shows up fine on my end, but who can understand the vast mysteries of  the WWW?)  If you are having problems seeing it, try highlighting the entire box with your cursor–that should do the trick.  Sorry for any inconvenience!

28 thoughts on “My Overworked Tear Ducts Beg For Mercy

1. Melanie says:

Oh, Shannon!
    I don’t know how you ever chose. There were so many good ones. You picked one of my favs, so I voted for her- Chelsea!
    Had to go with the bipolar. Too funny.

2. Christy says:

If you “highlight” the black box, the text will appear.
    (Might want to consider changing font colors…which I’m sure you’re doing right now!)

3. Darcie says:

Yay – I’m a finalist! Thank you for choosing my egg-inspired haiku! And kudos to you for reading through all those entries. What were there, like 700 or something? Perhaps Visine will do your weary eyes good tonight! Thanks again!

4. Ryan says:

Hi Shannon!
    I am the husband of one of the haiku losers I mean contestants. Your poll background color is black in the Firefox browser. You are missing a “#” in front of the color 95BF51 on the bgcolor in the tr tags. Put that kooky little # in front of that color and it will fix the problem.

5. Elizabeth says:

Oh, man- I feel guilty for not posting one about my mom! I was thinking I had until Tuesday- too scrambled for details lately!!

6. Javier says:

Ok, I’ve read most of the comments and I’m calling *bull* on the “they made me cry” part. In fact I find it hard to believe that any haiku ever written has ever made anyone cry. They really just aren’t that good.

7. Anne Glamore says:

I’m so honored! And regardless of mom’s restless spirit, I’m staying red. Once she died, all her friends confessed they loved it; they just agreed with her to make her happy.

8. Chelle' Wargo says:

I too voted but can’t view results. It’s not that important as I know you will announce the winner… I’m just hoping that it counts my vote.
    Have a great day (weekend) Shannon.
    -Chelle’

9. Charity says:

Here to solve one of the internet’s little mysteries: It is fine in Internet Explorer, but all black in Firefox.
    Great contest. And great job to all who entered. I have no idea how you chose just 5.

10. LisaC says:

Very good poems! I love my mom, but she drives me nuts. I am sure she will haunt me into eternity. Anne definitely has my vote.

11. Alan Summers says:

I feel I have to support my candidate, so please vote for Chelsea at Crafty Cassie:
    I always thought Mom
    was bipolar til I had
    children of my own.
    Yesssssssssssss!!! 😉
    p.s.
    Is there any chance the dot can be removed from the first candidate otherwise she could get an unfair amount of ‘accidental’ votes.
    all my best for everyone!
    Alan