Small Mercies

My purse got stolen Wednesday morning.

And if that sounds like a familiar sentence at this blog, that would be because it’s the second time it’s happened to me in eight months.

The lesson in this would be that if you have something that is valuable to you, DO NOT ASK ME TO HOLD IT IN MY PURSE FOR YOU.

This time, I was making a quick dash-in to a building–I was going to be inside for under three minutes and reasoned that I could just lock my purse in my car.  But in the blink of an eye somebody actually broke my car window and grabbed the purse.  In broad daylight.  In a full parking lot.  Right next to a building.  On a busy street.

From now on, I will never ever be leaving my purse in my car.  I will also, at my friend Queen B‘s suggestion, consider investing in a Knight Rider-type vehicle that can beat the bat-snot out of the next person who tries to take my purse.

Oh, I joke now, in sort of a laugh-or-go-crazy kind of way.  But Wednesday morning, my outlook was a little different.

As soon as I discovered the broken window and missing purse, I called my husband (who instantly began canceling credit cards/checking accounts) and then the police.  I filed an incident report with the business who owns the parking lot.

And I tried really, really hard to hold it together.  It’s just a purse–I know that.  But the truth is that this little incident was the final straw in what has been an unusually difficult couple of weeks.

I choked up a little when I talked policeman, and  I fought back a hefty sob when my husband showed up to help me with all the broken glass.  But I mostly kept my cool.  While  Hubs and I were both making frantic phone calls to the insurance company, credit card companies and bank, a woman from a car several rows away approached me.

"Excuse me," she said gently.  "I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation.  You looked like you could use some flowers."

And then she handed me this:

Flowers_2

And the floodgates, how they opened.

I burst into tears, grabbing this sweet stranger’s hand, wailing something about "thank you" and "God bless you" and "restoring my faith in humanity".  Undaunted by my blubbering, she offered Corrie and me some cold bottles of water from an ice chest in her van, and she even offered to go get Corrie some lunch.

I don’t know who she was.  I don’t know why she had flowers and cold bottled water in her mini-van.  I only know she was paying attention to what was going on around her, and she had the courage to step out in kindness.  And I cannot even express how profoundly that simple gesture ministered to me, in an otherwise crummy week.  It was a little bit of Jesus, right there in a broken-glass-filled parking spot.

So I’ve learned many lessons about purses and cars, but I’ve been reminded of something even more important:  a little kindness goes a very, very long way.

Find somebody who needs you today.

147 thoughts on “Small Mercies

1. Pink Paper Peppermints says:

Shannon to me this is a perfect in-the-flesh example of spiritual warfare.
    The devil wants you discouraged (i.e. purse stealing) but God will always encourage you (i.e. flowers and cold water).
    It makes me smile. And also think of that scripture in Romans 5, “where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.”
    God is so good. And what a wonderful reminder to be available to the Lord so He can use us to encourage someone else.
    And one more thing. Your blog is frequently my flowers and cold water.
    Just thought you’d like to know that.
    Melissa~

2. Blue Hare Mom says:

Shannon, I’m so sorry you had to go through this again. Anything I think of typing comes up cliche :o/
    Thanks for your example of grace under pressure and your inspirational words of wisdom.
    Susan

3. momhuebert says:

Beautiful. I’m so sorry you had to go through this AGAIN. But how wonderful there was someone there to encourage you. It makes me want to be that kind of person myself.

4. Nancy says:

God love you, dear. Just God love you. Thanks for sharing the powerful inspiration. I’m out to find a cooler, ice, some bottled water to put in my car!!

5. Anonymous says:

AWW! That is SO wonderful! It made me get all teary (not that that’s new in my excessively wildly-fluctuating hormonal state these days). What a sweet smile from God to you; bless that soul for her obedience to the Holy Spirit’s prompting.
    And may I just say that I am OUTRAGED on your behalf??? Breaking a car window to snatch your purse!!?? In our lovely little state, even?? It’s just beyond belief. Almost.
    (((((HUGS))))) to you, My Friend. I’ll be saying an extra prayer that things only go uphill from here on out.

6. LifeatTheCircus says:

Isn’t it awesome the way our loving Father knows just what we need and cares for us so much that he sends flowers to you in the midst of a crisis. What a loving Father we have!!
    I am sorry to read you are going through such a difficult time right now.

7. Kim says:

So sorry about your purse! Ya know I do that so much, you have made me rethink leaving it in the car! God bless that lady that were Christ’s hands and feet!

8. momrn2 says:

Agonizing for you at the loss of your purse and the cruelty of sin… but rejoicing with you that God chose to reveal Himself in such a personal way!
    Thanks for the challenge to open my own eyes a bit more to the things around me and the opportunity to show forth kindness.

9. pam says:

What a true blessing that woman was at just the right moment.
    May we all be a little more like that and think of our own time as the way the Lord chose to use Esther . . . for such a time as this. We all have the opportunity to be used by God — if we keep our eyes on Him.

10. Chris says:

I’m a member of the same club. Mine was grabbed in a Sam’s Club parking lot.
    The worst part is the violation you feel over the whole thing. I don’t think I’m over it yet, and it happened 10 months ago.
    Hang in there!

11. Queen B says:

That rocks. Not the purse thievery. The kindness.
    A good reminder to slow down and notice people in need. Not just big needs, but little needs. And a good reminder to have courage.
    And a good reminder to wear a backpack.

12. MSM says:

You don’t have to explain to any woman that “I know it was just a purse”.
    And I wouldn’t have to explain to any woman why this post made me cry.
    I just can’t let my kids see me right now. . . .

13. Kara says:

I love the small acts of service that restore our faith. That made me cry (of course being pg, everything makes me cry these days lol).

14. Jennifer (mon of4) says:

What a great RAK (random Act of Kindness) I post a RAK linky on my blog every other Monday. It’s great to see what a little kindness can do for someone.
    So sorry about your car and purse!!

15. Jeni says:

I got all teary-eyed just reading this. What a kind person, to step right in and offer you comfort – she’s just GOT to know Jesus.

16. Alicia says:

So many thoughts. First, crazy that someone stole your purse in those conditions. Second, it’s completely understandable to be upset by this. Besides the frustration of canceling all those card and getting new ones, there’s no way you didn’t feel violated. And third, what an awesome encounter with a total stranger. I love it!!!!

17. chilihead says:

I love that she was able to get outside of herself and offer you some comfort. These days that’s hard to come by. I hope many of us would have the courage to do the same for someone else.

18. Mary says:

At the ripe old age of 72, I have finally learned a couple of things. One is that I only carry backpack type purses which leave my hands free and I never go anywhere without it unless I am at home. I have it on my back even when I go in a public restroom so no one can snatch it over the door. I try to not make it too heavy and make sure all the zippers are closed unless I am in it for something. I hope your items get back to you unused but I am so glad someone gave you a kindness. They were blessed as much as you were. May you pass it on. God bless you richly!

19. Miss Elisabeth says:

I just love when God sends those little hints…I’m still here…still with you…always…
    Our van was broken into on a trip with our dance group – the thieves, who were staying in the same hotel on stolen credit cards, stole my mother’s purse, my purse full of sewing stuff, my dad’s satchel full of hand transcribed music and all of his instruments, coats, etc. Everything. They even could have stolen the car, they found the keys. They left the accordion, though, and praise the Lord, I had brought my computer into the hotel room.
    And two wonderful friends spent a morning in which they could have been in the pool helping a nearly sobbing me clean out the broken glass and sort through the stuff.
    Just that gesture of complete willingness to lend an entire morning to me . . . has stayed with me for a long time. God works in amazing ways.

20. Karen says:

Oh gee, now I am fighting the tears. I am so sorry this happened to you again, but so glad God used the experience in such a sweet and wonderful way.

21. Jenny says:

The bad days must be going around! I had one on Thursday that involved not being able to get my gas cap off! I was already on the light, late for work, and could not get that crazy cap off! It didn’t get better after that either!
    Have a great week!
    Jen

22. Alisa says:

Some people are still good. Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story. And for reminding us to help out more and not just walk away with our sympathy and empathy.

23. Rebecca says:

I leave my purse in the car all the time. I try to stash it kind of out of sight, but still…
    What kind of person DOES that? Do they wander around with hammer in hand, just waiting for the opportunity? And is it full-time work, looking for purses sitting in cars waiting to be stolen, or maybe just a sideline to their regular job?
    I just don’t get it.
    What a unique illustration, though, of people using their talents for good or for evil. Makes me eager to be a light in someone’s day today.

24. Jen says:

I think you could definitely use a trunk monkey.
    Bat-snot? This is a new one to me. I knew I shoulda had a boy in there with all these girls.
    (I am truly saying a little prayer for you now). Tomrrow is another day and His mercies are always new.

25. Sarah says:

Praise God for that lady! And you’re right…it is a great lesson. I know I need to pay more attention to those around me!

26. emily says:

am so sorry this has happened to you again. how frustrating. sometimes life just isn’t fair. i’m glad someone was there to bring you a bit of cheer.

27. We are THAT family says:

Oh my goodness. You need to buy a really ugly purse and put something really yucky in it, you know, for next time. I hope that made you smile, because you sound like you need it. I know that this is a very violating and disturbing feeling and I’m sorry it happened again. About that ugly purse, seriously . . .

28. kellie says:

This makes me weepy myself!
    God is merciful. And He is so tender to send you encouragement as just the right time.
    God’s Providence. It gives me goose bumps every time.

29. Linda Sue says:

Oh Shannon I’m so glad that angel (I mean kind person appearing in a parking lot at just the right time with cold water and flowers – yeah like that happens a bunch) was there for you. I’m sure you have been Jesus’ hands more than a few times and glad you had some kindness shown to you also. So sorry about the purses and hassles and invaded feelings and things being rough lately. Except for the purse part – Sista I’m with ya! Best thing about tomorrow – is is NOT today! Bless you dear lady.

30. Corrie Merricks says:

Okay, I just found your blog on the giveaway, and when I read this post I guessed that your daughter’s name is Corrie. It is my name too, and I love it! I haven’t met many others with the name, but I’m an adult and still love being unique and being named after Corrie ten Boom. πŸ™‚

31. lomagirl says:

Man, much as I want it, I hope she wins the ice-cream. What an angel- and a good reminder to us all to be on the lookout.
    I’ve had my bag stolen from the car when I was just gone 1 minute, too. Arghhhh.

32. jolyn says:

You got me all choked up, innocently taking a break from yard work here. I, too, have been given flowers in times of great emotional and spiritual need. But not by a perfect stranger in the street. God bless her. And thank you for sharing this and reminding ALL of us what a difference we each can, truly, make in another person’s life. If we all reached out to just one…

33. jenny says:

Shannon, I’m so sorry that you have to go through the whole purse ordeal again. That really stinks!
    How awesome about the flowers and cold water!! You are right… a little kindness does go a very long way!

34. Veggiemomof2 says:

THANKS ALOT! I have been on the verge of tears since I hit a parked car in the church lot last night. We are both going to need body repairs, but I am thankful there’s no mechanical damage. I cannot stop beating myself up & to make matters worse, DH is out of town, unreachable by cell. He isn’t going to throw a fit, but I get overwhelmed easily & really needed him. Luckily I had 2 men @ church whom I trusted to help me (1 being a cop)& the lady was SO understanding.
    Oh well, I knew the tears would fall eventually, at least it was kinda happy tears.

35. The Roost says:

I am so sorry about your purse but that was a very encouraging and touching ending to a bad situation! Thanks for letting us be apart of it.

36. Emily says:

I admit it. Your blog intimidates me and encourages me and gives me a little bit more faith in the goodness of people.
    Dear Jesus, bless the woman with the flowers and thank you for the woman that wrote about her.
    (also The Flower Man by Mark Ludy might interest you immensely)

37. Kristen says:

Shiver dots all over me! What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing!
    As Chris mentioned, I am also a member of the club…but my purse, along with all of my bridesmaids’ purses was stolen, FROM THE CHURCH, DURING MY WEDDING. I spent 1/2 of my reception time filling out reports for the police. Then after the reception, during the party at my parents’ house, I was at the DMV, getting a new license so I could go on my honeymoon the next day. I think I’m over it now, nearly 12 years later, maybe. What kind of person does this stuff, anyway???

38. Elaine says:

I just recently posted about a little angel too, one that came into my life in a scary moment. Thank God for these moments.
    So sorry about your purse…

39. Sara@MillerMoments says:

Makes me want to go put some water bottles in my van cooler right now! What a sweet lady. T-town can be awesome, sometimes.
    So sorry about the purse.
    So happy that your hubby could help right when you needed him most.
    How was the Compassion table the other night in BA? Wish I could have gone – but I had just heard about that concert a few hours prior and had plans.
    Thank you for all you do on this blog! You are much appreciated!

40. Teresa says:

Isn’t it so great to see HIS fingerprints on every aspect of our lives? I’m truely sorry about your purse and all the complications that go along with having it stolen…but how wonderful the Lord worked that day by using that kind woman to comfort you!

41. Lisa says:

I do the EXACT same thing — leave my purse in the car if I’m just running in for a sec or two. And then last Friday, a man I didn’t know stopped me as I was leaving a store, pointed at my car, and said, “M’aam? Is that your car?” When I said yes, he gently but sternly cautioned me that it was a bad idea to leave my purse on the front seat… not just in that parking lot, but anywhere.
    I smiled and thanked him, but honestly, I was taken aback, and the more I thought about it later, the more indignant I became. Most days it feels like I’ve got MORE than enough people telling me how to run my life — and I kept telling myself that I could do without direction from a perfect stranger.
    Your post made me realize that that man wasn’t offering criticism — he was offering flowers and cold water. And I was too stubborn to see it at the time.
    Thanks for letting God use you to point that out to me… =D

42. Elizabeth says:

Been there (also twice in a short period of time) and am glad for you that someone was there to share such kindness — *Ü*

43. KathrynB says:

My 25 day old baby boy is in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery when he was just 5 days old.. This weekend has been minor setbacks and YOUR post helped restore MY faith in the “order of the world”.. Thanks, Shannon. It’s gonna be OK.

44. d says:

So sorry this happened to you but this a good remember for me to be thoughtful to those around me, even strangers.

45. Jenn says:

I love when God sends Angels πŸ™‚
    Too bad about your purse and car though…but here’s a nice thought, isn’t LOST back this week???

46. amy c says:

The kindness of a stranger offering comfort in time of crisis is the picture of the love of our Heavenly Father. Who knows why someone would steal a purse, maybe they needed the money to eat. I dunno. But the picture of someone paying attention to your needs and stepping out to meet those needs really strikes me. How many times do I go through my day self involved, never paying attention to my fellow man? Thanks for sharing your story.

47. Shalee says:

Oh my, Shannon. What started out as an awful situation turned into one of pure beauty. God is so good to us in so many ways. And yes. I’ll find someone today.

48. mummymac says:

Incase you think you’re the only one and get the feeling people would say “you think you would learn after the first time” – this happened to me twice within about 3 weeks.
    Before kids, while working I had a purse stolen from my office at work, then a few weeks later I had one stolen right out of my bag as I walked along the street! I’m not sure what’s worse – the fact that someone goes out of their way to do it or the fact that you have all the cards to sort.
    Thanks for the challenge for us all to step out with kindness.

49. Jennifer (Et Tu?) says:

What an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing. I am so sorry that your purse got stolen again, but so very glad that someone was there to make your day a little brighter.

50. Robyn says:

Boo for thieves. Hooray for flower/water giving people. Hope you get all your personal stuff cancelled, etc. so the boo thieves don’t continue to steal.
    I learned a lesson, though. I leave things in plain sight all the time. No more.

51. Ericka says:

I absolutely can NOT believe it happened to you again. Truly. Unbelievable.
    Just so glad you and Corrie are ok and as for the stranger – May God bless her back a 100 times. How incredibly sweet.
    Here’s to a quick recovery of your ‘stuff.
    Lots of HUGS!!!!!!

52. Kara Messner says:

Wow! People don’t know what that kind of kindness can do for a person. My sis was having a particularly difficult day at the dr’s office one time and she was starting to break down. Her son was also losing it. A kind stranger came up and first of all offered my sis a hug and then she gave my sister’s little son a dollar and changed the whole mood of the moment. Small acts of kindness…….God is definitely in those! Cool story.

53. kj says:

I love kind people! If this makes you feel any better: in 15 months my cousin’s home has been thoroughly burglarized twice, one car stolen, another attempt made on another car, and her purse was stolen, and on her way to the DMV to replace her driver’s license, someone crashed into her car!

54. tiffany McGuigan says:

I’m so sorry this happened to you. How great is God to send you some comfort in your time of need from a complete stranger no less.

55. Marcy says:

Glorious post. Took me to a totally different place than it began…
    I too had my purse stolen from my car 4 months ago. I understand the pain of it. And guilt since it is avoidable…..my husband was pretty mad I left the purse in the car in the first place. But we repair- and we go on.
    I always want to be that stranger for someone. I hope I have helped people like the flower/cold water lady….how joyful and kooky and unexpected God can be. That silly God of ours…..This post deserves the “Falling Up” award. When something starts bad- and well, ends good- despite the odds and gravity

56. Patty says:

That is beautiful, I am sorry that some jerk decided that they needed your purse more than you did, but at least God was there to show you that good people still exist.

57. Mary B says:

Blessings to you, isn’t amazing how a little can go along way. We were able to reciprocate something (on a small scale) recently and we were so glad to do it.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

58. Amy says:

I’m tearing up a little just reading this… what an incredibly sweet gesture from that woman! I’m sorry you had to deal with a stolen purse yet again. I hide mine in the car under a mountain of kids’ toys sometimes… maybe I’ll stop doing that now. :/

59. disty says:

Sounds like your guardian angel made a personal appearance to me!
    And about the purse thing…it probably feels like violation. I’ve never had it happen, but it must be a drag. Bless you this week.

60. Candace (Mama Mia) says:

What a great story (not the purse stealing the nice woman). I appreciate you sharing this because I leave my purse in my car ALL OF THE TIME!!! I’ve just gotten into a bad habit.

61. Sara says:

I am really sorry to hear what happened to your purse! I am happy to hear about that lady that gave you the flowers, that was super sweet of her.

62. BundyMum says:

Oh I love stories like that! God sent you flowers and cold water!! AWESOME!!
    I have another little story if youd like to read it – God gave my friend $100 after she gave her last $10 away!
    I love it how God steps into our lives so often and provides just or even much more than we need!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

63. Cathy says:

I’m so sorry your purse was stolen AGAIN!
    We had to put our 17 year old, beloved dog down a few months back. That night I went to get us all ice cream (at an expensive ice cream shop). My neighbor’s painfully shy teenage daughter was working and yelled (!) to the cashier at the other end of the store that she would pay for our ice cream. I was so confused and told him that I would pay. My floodgates opened when she insisted saying “this family has had a very hard day. This one is on ME.”
    I know exactly how you felt towards that woman in the parking lot. And towards our good God who sent her.

64. edj says:

Stuff like this always happens when life is overwhelming you anyway. I’m so sorry! But I’m really glad to hear about the flowers and cold water. Hang in there!

65. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Oh Shannon. My heart just fell into my stomach when I read this.
    But what a sweet ending (in a way — it might have been even sweeter if she had run over the guy who took your purse). I love how God redeems.
    By the way, the Queen B has sage wisdom. I say you look for a Kit next time you’re in the market for a new car.

66. Jamie says:

Sorry you had to go through this. How sweet of the gal to give you flowers and offer water to you. I think the Knight Rider type vehicle sounds like a good idea.

67. JD says:

OH this is a perfect example of why I avoid this blog like the plague and still come back after two years! lol
    I always have to change my makeup. That totally got me. I started crying when you said you did. I hate getting things NABBED!

68. Kristi Ottmar says:

I don’t even know if you will see this comment but Isn’t God kind to us?
    I just finished serving as a Women of Faith volunteer this last weekend, I was in charge of all the speaker hostesses. It was an amazing weekend. We had our own hostess dressing room and had been leaving our handbags in there throughout the weekend, on the last day the last hour someone “borrowed” all my cash. I tried really hard not to let it ruin my weekend. A friend reminded me that they might have needed it more than me and handed me a diet coke. To me diet coke is next to godliness. I can relate! I hope recover from the loss of your handbag! I pray all is cancelled and well with your credit cards ,etc.

69. D'Anna says:

Thank you so much for sharing this story – it is beautiful! What a wonderful example to me today! I’ll be looking . . . (please Lord, give me Your Eyes!)

70. Elizabeth says:

Bat snot. Bat snot. That just cracks me up. You can’t beat humor in the face of adversity. It’s Tuesday now- have the very best one ever.

71. kelly S. says:

Such a sweet story, God bless that little angel…and she didn’t even have to do MUCH to be a blessing.
    This inspired me….I called my friend, who is going through a VERY hard time with her very sick child. 4 friends and I are going to go clean her house and take a ton of freezer meals to her family. She is totally behind on her home cleaning and is overwhelmed.
    We can ALL DO SOMETHING….anything…to help someone else.
    Kelly S.

72. Alesha says:

Oh, Shannon, I am so sorry! Don’t feel guilty or stupid either about leaving your purse in your car – we have ALL done that!
    And I agree with the earlier comment. Satan knows what really GETS to us! He will attack however he can – he does not play fair. In our old house, it was plumbing and insects (ants mostly!)usually on a Saturday (my hubby preached the next morning!); and in our new house, it seems to be physical ailments.
    You and hubby just spend some time in prayer – reminding the enemy WHO you belong to and encouraging yourselves in the Lord. Pray for protection from the evil one for your entire family.
    Your blog is reaching many people and causing them to think about the Lord and how they can show Him to this lost and hurting world. Satan would just love to drag you down and make you of no consequence through discouragement.
    Don’t let him.
    I’ll be praying for a hedge of God’s protection around you and your family as your minister for Him.
    Alesha

73. Tara says:

I am so sorry about your purse, but the lady with the flowers reminded me of something. I will never forget a stanger’s kindness when my oldest was about two years old. It was raining and I had to run into Walmart and locked my child in the car by accident, of course. I was frantic because I could not leave my child which meant I could not go get anyone to help. And guess where my cell phone was. And did I mention it was pouring down rain.
    Well a nice man offered to go get someone in the automotive department and a nice older lady stopped, rolled down her window, and handed me an umbrella. She drove off before I could get her phone number. The Walmart employee came out and got it opened within minutes and ran back in wanting no praise. I made sure the manager knew!
    It’s the kindness of strangers that shocks me so much sometimes and makes me remember to pay it forward.

74. rr mama says:

I love it when God makes himself so visible to us. He knew just what you needed when you needed it. God is so good. Just drink him and the water in!

75. Jamie says:

Wow! That’s all – just wow!! I think in this day and age people are too afraid to go up to strangers for fear of someone thinking they are butting in. I am not sure I would approach someone. I would most likely stand back and think about approaching them, but not follow through. I will stop standing back, and start approaching. (((HUGS)))

76. Janet says:

Once again thank you for sharing. I LOVE this blog. This story TOTALLY made me cry. Thank you for this blog, like someone else said, many times it is my flowers and water.

77. Liz G. says:

I’m so jaded – or overdosed on Law & Order – ’cause I immediately think “she totally stole your purse and bought the water and flowers with the cash inside to throw the suspicion off of her.”
    Seriously, sorry ’bout losing your purse like that. I tend to do the same thing – and know better. I hope all they got was a fabulous purse and a bunch of headache from trying to do something with cancelled cards.

78. Rebekah says:

I am SO sorry about your purse. That is terrible. But hearing about the kind, kind woman who helped you out? Amazing. Talk about “paying it forward”!

79. sherrie b says:

A previous person’s comment made me think of the line from the song “that’s when sin met grace”. I will always remember the strangers that showed kindness when my car was totalled when I was driving while 8 months pregnant with my first son.
    (I also wanted to add that I didnt know what a haiku was either, and I pride myself on my love of grammar. Oh well, your father & I are learning together.) Take care!

80. Tiff@Three Peas says:

I have had that happen to me! I had to have my car towed home because they stole my car keys too! UGh! What a great blessing that was too! God was there with you!

81. GiBee says:

I love that … “a little bit of Jesus” — if we can all be just a little bit of Jesus to someone who needs it!!! So sorry to hear about this, and I never leave my purse in my car again … which I do a LOT.

82. Daiquiri says:

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened to you! It’s awful to be robbed. It feels so…personal. Scary.
    When it happened to me, I had to make a deliberate choice to decide that it was OK, and that I was going to feel sorry for the person who stole from me. I figured they’re either so terribly desperate, that they felt they had no other choice but to steal from me. OR they were such a miserable lost person, that they still deserved my sympathy and prayers.
    But still. Scary.
    Thank God for kind strangers and strong husbands.

83. Kirstin says:

I’m tearing up right now! That’s what it’s all about. Being ready in season and out. Having our eyes open to what’s happening around us, and not being afraid to step out and take a risk to meet someones need. I’m so glad that sweet gal listened!

84. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) says:

Tearing up!!! Those are some special flowers all right!
    I am so sorry that happened to you — again!
    I had my mini-van broken into AT THE PARK WITH MY SON!!! He was four at the time and he was so traumatized. He still worries that someone will smash the windows of our house and break in like they did to our van. Not only did they steal my purse – but they stole his backpack!! How cruel.
    Thank the Lord for flowers and angels. πŸ™‚

85. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime says:

December of 2005, I was nine months pregnant. I bent down to look at some baby clothes in Ross, and someone took my wallet out of my purse.
    Did I mention it was Christmas time? And I was NINE MONTHS PREGNANT? Who steals from a pregnant woman at Christmas time??
    You know I sobbed and sobbed right there in the middle of the store. By the time I realized it was gone, they had already charged $600 at WalMart.
    I’m sorry you are going through this – again. 😦