Bite Back!

Many of you have expressed a desire to be involved with Compassion International, but you’re not in a position to commit to sponsoring a child.  I have a solution for you.

Friday is World Malaria Day.  From Compassion:

"If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito."

Every African knows this is true because mosquitoes carry malaria—a tropical disease that kills over 750,000 children each year. That’s one child every 30 seconds. In Africa, mosquitoes make a huge difference in the lives of poor families and children. And it all starts with a tiny bite.

Remarkably, as horrible and dangerous as this disease in, the simple presence of a mosquito net over a person’s bed makes a huge difference.  It’s such a simple thing.

A one-time $10 donation will give a family a mosquito net through Compassion.  Your kids can probably come up with $10.  Get them involved–bring out the globe and show them where on our planet malaria is prevalent.  Help think of a way they can make some sacrifices to save $10 in the family budget, and send a mosquito net to Africa.

Biteback

19 thoughts on “Bite Back!

1. Caryn says:

Sending nets is all well and good but the truly compassionate thing would be to lift the ban on DDT! It is an outrage that people are dying needlessly. It costs more to send nets than to dust with DDT, which is highly effective and safe. Lives can be saved!! Learn the truth! Use your voice to LIFT THE BAN!

2. Melinda says:

Thank you for this. I have been wanting to get involved, but number crunching as well. This might be just the thing. Thank you.
    Hugs,
    Melinda

3. Rebekah says:

Done! We are p-o-o-r this year, but 10 dollars? THAT even I can do. Thanks so much for pointing us to this. I was looking for a way that I could do something small, and this fit perfectly.

4. Amy loves Bud says:

Love this! I think I will blog about this on Give It Away this weekend. It’s not too late for you and your readers to enter the Give It Away Give Away – have MY money donated to YOUR favorite charity.

5. Minnesotamom says:

My main question is…are they tying it to the gospel somehow? I’m all for helping people out, but it has to be linked to the person of Christ. Any hoo-haw can hand out mosquito nets, but not everyone has the Eternal Message of Hope to bring with it.

6. Becky Tschamler says:

Minnesotamom, I can answer your question.
    The unique thing about Compassion’s ministry is that every project is run by a local church. So that means all the programs – including the Malaria Intervention Fund – are administered through that church. The nets are actually distributed right at the church, by the church workers. The prevention education is done by the church workers as well.
    These are the same church workers who are telling the children and their families about Jesus every week as an integral part of Compassion’s minsitry.
    So yes, the net distribution is definitely tied to the gospel.