The Ants Go Marching Two By Two…

So many of you recommended Terro, that I went straight to the store and bought some this morning.

I’ve had the traps out for under 30 minutes, and below are the results.  (Warning, do not scroll down if you are grossed out by bugs.  Or if you are an advocate for insect rights.  But if, like me, you are delighted at the site of the wholesale destruction of creepy crawly things, then by all means scroll.)

Scrolling…

Scrolling…

(Giving the squeamish people one more chance to look away…)

Here you go (and please pretend that the paint job around my baseboards is not horrible):

Ants_2

They are eating it up.  Literally.  And while only time will tell if the Terro will do its work, I’m optimistic.  And I’m ready to sign up to be Terro‘s spokeswoman.  Because, you know, becoming the spokeswoman for a toxic killer of insects is just exactly what I always longed for as a girl.  Dreams do come true, people.

65 thoughts on “The Ants Go Marching Two By Two…

1. Sheila says:

Oh, that is just awful. I sure hope the toxic stuff works. Sometimes toxic stuff is definitely worth it. I think having ants crawl all over you is a time to bring out the chemicals!
    We had termites once. They’re gone now. I’m still trying to block out the memory.
    Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

2. Heather says:

Okay, I had NO CLUE what people were talking about when they said Terro. But thanks to your picture, I can totally agree with the Terro supporters. We had m-a-j-o-r ants when we lived in our trailer and Terro was the only thing that worked for us. We even had bug people come and spray before we tried Terro. Oh, and baby powder does work in keeping ants outside, but not once the ants are inside.

3. HeresTheDiehl says:

Terro is great…and it’s not really THAT toxic. It’s made from Borax, which is safe (my toddler stepped in a Terro trap one time, and I freaked out and checked up on it…totally safe!). I also recommend sticking the outdoor Terro traps around the doors of your home where they come in…these really help, too. I will say that the only thing that TRULY got rid of them for good was having an exterminator come spray.

4. Heather G says:

That stuff is fantastic! You won’t even see the dead ones. We used it at our old house. Kept putting it out because the ants just gobbled it up. Finally I got sick of having it around. Put it away, thinking the ants had won. Amazingly they never came back. DH joked that we must have been feeding & killed every ant colony in the neighborhood.

5. Tara says:

Here’s one little tiny note. It looks like those are the little tiny sweet eating ants. If they are, they might bring over their ginormous cousins. No worries. Feed them the same stuff. The entire extended family will all die.
    Bad story? I was having a pampered chef party one HOT HOT HOT summer evening. Those tiny little buggers were EVERYWHERE! I was so embarrassed.

6. Judy says:

Terro is amazing stuff.
    When my parents built their house, they went in right before the sheetrock went in and deposited pure borax along the base of the walls. They have NEVER seen a bug in their house. It is almost freaky.

7. Jen G. says:

I love Terro!! My granny has sworn by it for years to get rid of those pesky critters. It didn’t work on our flying ants though…bummer.
    I love your blog…I’m coming out of hiding now and I’m going to post!

8. Louise says:

Just make sure to leave the bait traps out for a full two weeks, even if you don’t see any ants. Otherwise you can’t be sure you got them all, and you might have them coming back in a few weeks.
    I use Terro every spring–it’s the only thing that allows me to keep my sanity during ant season!
    (Hope you don’t mind me chiming in like this–I’ve lurked for a little while now, but a topic so near and dear to my heart as this one HAD to be commented on!)

9. Loral says:

Wow! I have small black ant that showed up just yesterday. Off to buy some of that Terro, I have little plastic poison ‘hotel’ things that they are bypassing- grrrr!
    Hope they get gone and stay gone for you 🙂 and Me 😀

10. Jacy says:

I wish I would have known this 4 months ago.
    We’ve been paying exterminators to come kill our ants because no matter what we did we could NOT get rid of them.
    Good luck! They’re pesky little buggers for sure!

11. A&EMom says:

I’m so thrilled you’re having success! Mom called a couple of days ago asking what we use and has commenced an indoor and outdoor attack. They’ve taken to calling the outdoor bait station Ant Auschwitz.

12. LeeAnn says:

When we go to Africa we always spray around our room and under our bed with a bug killer called ‘Doom’. I’m pretty sure it’s not healthy to use long term and that it’s illegal in the states- but it’s does the trick!
    Every one in a while I wish I could buy a can here!

13. T. says:

This could not have come at a better time! Just yesterday my oldest son told me he had ants in his room. He said he turned on his iPod speaker and they came out of it and are all over one particular bookshelf. Our exterminator was just here on Monday so I don’t know what’s going on.
    I also just heard about an infestation of ants in Houston. If you Google “Houston ant infestation” it brings up the article. Wild!

14. Joanna says:

I hope that works! Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but ants HATE baby powder. It helps to sprinkle it around the outside of the house, by doors and any place they can get in. I’ve used it in the past and it worked great of us.

15. jen says:

Once you start to see fewer ants, you can get Borax to sprinkle around the foundation of your home or buy the outdoor Terro traps; then you won’t see ANY, ever!!!
    I saw another similar comment, but I still feel the need to tell you that poison control was not at all concerned when my son smeared the stuff all over his body! Well, they told me to wash him off well…but you just can’t complain when it kills the ants and not your kids! 🙂

16. Christine says:

I’m eagerly awaiting your final eval. Pete came in just last night and said very sadly. “The ants are back…” Whatever we’ve tried in the past seems to just make them bigger and stronger.

17. Melanie says:

That bad joke just popped in my head…
    Dead ant, Dead ant, Dead ant….. You know the tune.
    Maybe I should get out more but a photo of dying ants kind of made my day.

18. Lorraine says:

I did battle with a colony last year about this time. Carpet fresh in the carpets. They won’t cross it. Get some Ant Spray, like Ortho Home Defense, and spray around the outside of the house, Even along the baseboard. Find the source – a crack under the baseboard, or wherever that they are getting in from and seal it up.
    When we bought the house, we had problems right away. At first they were coming in through a huge crack under the baseboard & linoleum in the pantry. Sealed that with Foamie stuff. Seems the previous owner was not the best housekeeper, and the little suckers had been living under the linoleum under the fridge! When I got the kitchen floor done, the colony was discovered, sprayed down and killed. since then we haven’t had a problem.
    Arm yourself with some Caulk, Foamie stuff, carpet fresh, and some Ortho, and get to killin’. *S* and get a Shark, or other cordless vacumm and vacuum the eating area every meal, and restrict eating only to the kitchen/dining room until the problem is solved.

19. Stacey says:

I have learned to make peace with some of God’s littlest creatures but when there are more of them than human occupants, turn the other cheek doesn’t work.
    STRANGE!!

20. Cammie says:

Terro does work well…just be sure to continually refresh it until the ants are gone. It dries up, and isn’t as effective. I hope you get ’em…a victory against any creepy crawlers is a victory for all of us!

21. Christine says:

Maybe it’s just the way the picture came out but those are some pretty huge looking ants! Who could blame you! Enough of them and they might just carry you away! We get them in SoCal when it gets rainy but they’re just normal little ant-sized ants, not those monstrous things! GO Terro!

22. Valerie says:

Glad you won out. I was keeping tabs on your struggles today, but couldn’t offer much help as I had huge problems of my own. I thought my problem was fire ants, but it wasn’t. We have terrible trouble with fire ants.

23. Melissa says:

My dh mixed Terro and a bit of sugar water into a small cup that we never use TWO years ago. That small cup is still on my window sill above the sink and is still killing ants…with the same mixture in it.
    I haven’t seen an ant since the day after the cup went up there.

24. Daisy Girl says:

So seriously, we used to live in Oklahoma and we had SERIOUS ant problems and we just had to pay a guy to come out and spray all around the outside of our house and he even set traps inside and did all kinds of crazy things and it worked. He would still have to come back every couple months. My kids had the most fun with the ants. I would pay them a penny per ant the caught on wrapping paper tape. They got real creative with it. They would make patterns on the tape and spell words on the tape with the ants! ha! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

25. Melissa says:

I love the Terro too, this is the first year we’ve used it. We used the “card” variety at first, but then got a pack of the ones that have the stuff in a well at the end (I think it looks like those packages with the cheese and the crackers where you spread the cheese on with the red stick…you know what I mean)
    The second variety is what worked really well for us. The goo on the cards kept drying up before the ants were all gone.
    But it definitely does work and we are converts here too!

26. Renae says:

This is great!
    I haven’t visited your site in awhile, but Megan at halfpinthouse sent me an e-mail with the link to this post… she’s seen my bloggy-grumbling about ants in my kitchen.
    Somehow, they haven’t been as bad this year, but I know they’re in the walls somewhere planning out their next attack…
    So I’ll definitely remember Terro! Thx!

27. Esther says:

I feel for you — we’ve been through the Terro thing years ago in our old apartment when we lived in the Bay Area. Makes me shudder to think back on that time! I was pregnant with our first child and was freaking out…we moved to a different floor of that apartment before I gave birth! I’m pretty sure Terro worked for us back then. We thankfully do not have any bug problems in our house!

28. Mississippi Mama says:

Last year we had fire ants take up residence in ALL the carpets in our house. We could never figure out why, nor could our handy Terminix guy. If they come back this summer, we’re buying this stuff!

29. Heidi says:

Another die-hard Terro supporter here. The last time I bought it, Terro had little self-contained liquid ant traps. Thay way it wasn’t out on the cardboard. Still works great!

30. AmyG says:

Terro is the only thing that worked for us, to! In fact, I need to get some to avoid an invasion myself. We moved in here two years ago & the ants were horrible! Someone told us about Terro, so we got some of the baits. Worked great! Within a few days, they were gone. Then the next summer, I got some at the beginning of summer & we didn’t have the issue we did the season before. I’ve seen a couple of ants here & there this season, but not much. However, I’m going to get the baits again, so I don’t have an issue. Maybe next year, I won’t have any at all!

31. Sara@Sarandipity says:

Wow and Eewww! You said you had ants but you meant you had lots of ants! Icky! We have had a few ants traipse through out kitchen, but not near as bad as what you have. I hope the terro works and gets rid of them all.

32. Rodney says:

I have either had really really good luck using Tero or none at all… Usually the ants attack it for a day and then stop.

33. Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks&Me says:

That is exactly what happened to us. It looked like the ants were on some kind of drug. 🙂
    It was gross for a couple of days. We had just a few ants for awhile and then had more “hatch” this last week. I’m going to buy more today to put a couple out in the kitchen.
    This stuff works when nothing else will.

34. Tendrils says:

Terro rocks!!! We ALWAYS use it when those beastly little things show up in our kitchen by the back door every summer…….Good luck!

35. Marty says:

THAT’S the name of the fertility drug I couldn’t remember. Let’s hope Oklahoma ants don’t know that’s what it is.

36. jackson says:

ants are amazing insects.. sometimes they do incredible things, like marching by two…. thanks for posting this article…
    i recently read a similar article on http://bizaims.com there is also a lot of interesting information about ants… worth viewing..

37. Brandi says:

Don’t sweat yourself at all about the toxicity of Terro, it’s just boric acid mixed with sugar syrup to attract the ants.
    We had a terrible sugar ant problem when we lived in Hawaii so we had a lot of Terro singles on hand at any given time. Well, when we moved to Florida we still had them but I didn’t remember where I put them and one day my toddler found one and ate it.
    Pause for collective gasping.
    I immediately called Poison Control in a panic that I had seriously damaged my child and was relieved to learn that boric acid is not harmful to humans (or pets) in the doses used in Tarro. Whew. Not that I recommend buying any for snacks but it’s good to know having it out on the ground poses no threat to wandering toddlers and/or pets.
    How it works, and this is gross, is the boric acid is a desiccant. What that means is it dries the little buggers out faster than that Nazi dude after opening the Ark in the first Indiana Jones movie. Remember that scene? Eeeww.
    I’m sorry if I sound like a know-it-all but I hoped to allay any fears you (or anyone) might have about using Tarro in your house around the kids, I’m passing on what Poison Control let me know. Tarro is my first choice for ants, much better than the definitely toxic bombs, sprays, or expensive bug-killin’ men. 🙂