CompassionBloggers.com Goes Live!

I have been squirming and fidgeting in antipation of this big day for a long time, and I so excited to tell you about it.

Compassion International, as you know, does amazing work around the world helping lift children out of poverty.  When it comes to the blogosphere, they really get it.  As an organization, they understand the power of the blogosphere to get the word out quickly and effectively on important topics.  When I went along on their first Compassion Bloggers’ Trip in February, I was impressed by the Compassion staff’s committment to using the blogosphere as a frontline tool in raising the profile of their life-changing work.  Sign me up, I told them.  My blog is yours.  As long as I’m writing here, I’m going to tell people what Compassion is doing.

You can too.

Today Compassion has launched CompassionBloggers.com, a comprehensive resource for bloggers wanting to jump on board with Compassion’s vision.  There are banners, links, stories, photos, news and more.

And…are you ready for this?…there are the details of their next bloggers’ trip.

Nexttrip220x180 Yes!  They were so pleased with the impact of our Uganda trip that they’re going to take a different group of bloggers to the Dominican Republic in November.  I am so very enthusiastically hoping that one of you will get to go, and if you do, I am hoping you will agree to pack me in your suitcase.

Please head over to CompassionBloggers.com and look around.  (If you are unable to see it, hang tight.  It may take a while for site to go live everywhere in the world.)  If you have your own blog, will you consider joining in with their important mission?  Even if you’re not interested in going on the trip, there are so many ways bloggers can use their blogs to make a powerful difference.

Dontmiss

And as long as we’re on the subject, let me introduce you to Brayan.  He’s six years old, and he lives with his grandparents in Dominican Republic.  And he needs a sponsor.  Please, will it be you?  (If you sign up to sponsor Brayan, please send me an e-mail and let me know.  If you click on his link and it doesn’t work, then–praise God!–it means that someone has sponsored this sweet boy.)  Hooray!  That only took an hour!  Reader Jeni sponsored Brayan.  She writes, "His expression is so like that of my 6 year old nephew – full of mischief and humor."

23 thoughts on “CompassionBloggers.com Goes Live!

1. Ami says:

I just hopped on over there to check it out, and whose face did I see? YOURS! I’m pleased to see this site as an addition to Compassion’s efforts to help the children.

2. miche says:

What great information! Thanks! I will be looking around at Compassion when I have a little more time this weekend. I have a quick blog question though: how did you get the “technorati this” under each post? I use blogger and maybe that is the problem, but I could not figure out where to put the code…thanks!!!

3. Llama Momma says:

I just sent in my info.
    I would so love to go on this trip. I followed every blog post from your team, and it changed me in more ways than I can name.
    My husband has sponsored children through Compassion for twenty years now…and me for as long as we’ve been married. We’ve seen a few grow to adulthood.
    It would be amazing to get to go, but I’m sure they’ll choose carefully. (Not sure this llama would make the cut!)
    Thanks for sharing about this amazing opportunity!

4. Megan says:

What, and miss the fun and games that will be the presidential election in this country in November?
    WHERE DO I SIGN UP?????
    🙂

5. millicent says:

Back in November my 6 y/o son and I sat up late at night and he went through so many profiles–and finally picked a little boy to sponsor who is very close in age to him. It’s been so neat to be able to do this! I love Compassion Int’l!

6. Kari says:

Hey, it’s AWESOME! I happened to pop over there before I read your post and was SO happy it was up! 🙂 Very sweet, already got me a widget. Yay for Compassion! Thanks for the heads up, Shannon! 🙂 Have a great weekend!

7. Ann @ Holy Experience says:

Shannon? (AKA Blog Pioneer for Poverty Awareness)
    Thank you.
    May many follow in your courageous footsteps. For one sponsored child at a time can change the world… their little world. And ours too.
    So you have.
    All’s grace,
    Ann

8. Anonymous says:

Congratulations
    I’m from Argentina. I got here by chance.
    I’ll remember you in my prayers.
    Now I can tell: poverty that is close to home is nearly invisible. I see hunger on the news every day–or do I?

9. mariam_... says:

Congratulations
    I’m from Argentina. I got here by chance about a week ago, and here I am again!
    I’ll remember you in my prayers.
    Congratulations again
    ¡Que Dios los bendiga! (God Bless You)

10. Becoming Me says:

You are a beautiful hearted woman. Thank you for all your posts about this wonderful organization. God really placed heavy on my heart today the significance of every single human life on this planet. I mean, I always felt and knew that, but some things in my life during the past year made this message extra poignant and I jsut wrote about it too. It is so important for us to help others and demonstrate love to others in need…whether that be by visiting nursing homes, cradling neo-natal babies, or sponsoring a child…life at all stages is valuable and this is one of the messages at the heart of the compassion campaign. Sorry for my ramble.

11. Jolanthe says:

I did turn in my name for the trip – although deep down I don’t think I’ll be picked (grins) – I DO know that we are sitting down with our kids soon to have them help us pick a child near their own ages so that they can write to them. We already currently sponsor a boy from Indonesia, but our kids would love to have one of their own. 🙂
    Thanks so much, Shannon for being such a vocal part of this!
    Jolanthe

12. Jennifer says:

I adopted a girl from DR when you were in Uganda!! Is it safe to say that you have to actually be a blogger to go on a blogging trip? What if someone created a blog, just for the sake of blogging to go on the trip!?! (Not that I would do that, but someone else might want to know too…)

13. mama's got moxie says:

i’m so glad that i ran across this post. i’ve been sponsoring a child through compassion for a number of years now and i had no clue about compassion bloggers! thanks for the info.

14. Connie says:

A friend of mine, Jill Savage, and her team are just returning from a Compassion trip to El Salvador. She is the founder of Hearts at Home, a ministry to stay at home moms…have you heard of them? She has been blogging about her trip at http://jillsavage.blogspot.com. I’m sure she will have heard about this blogging opportunity with Compassion. Her ministry to moms continues to grow and I know that this trip has been a life changing one for her.

15. Dana says:

I went to the website, just to look around, and saw the face of a little boy in need. He reminded me that so many children are barely surviving in this world, and then I thought of my own son….and I started to cry.
    And then I sponsored this little boy….he had been waiting six months for a sponsor…that’s too long.

16. Carly says:

Hello! Here we live in the same town and yet I’m terrible terrible at visiting your blog. But I just want to say how awesome you are for blogging about this, and for doing this. I sponsor two children through World Vision. One of them actually lives in Myanmar and so I’m still unsure as to whether or not he’s ok. It seems like every time I blog about World Vision no one comments. Of course if I have something to say about moisturizer they all come running. It really saddens me. I wish I could sponsor more children. I wish all my family and friends would sponsor children. They just don’t realize how good we have it over here.
    I love what you are doing and I’m so glad you got to visit your sponsored child. It reminds me that I need to do more for mine.
    Thank you Shannon. I look forward to seeing you at BlogHer again this year. Although given that we live in the same town we really don’t have to wait for BlogHer to visit each other!

17. Lynette says:

So, after reading your post today it inspired me to check out the Compassion International website. I have just spent the week listening to the stories on our local Christian radio. I looked at the first little girl who was 5, the same age as my daughter and I decided to “click on her.” I love how God works…Her birthday was the same day as my daughter…So the tears started to flow…And now another little girl is being sponsered! THANK YOU!!!!

18. Jenn says:

Ooh! Thank you so much for the info. After you started blogging about your Uganda trip I decided to get more involved with our Compassion child. She actually lives in the DR so this would be an amazing experience to share about, especially getting to meet her! Wow. I have no idea if this is open to Canadians but I am sure hoping so.