Soccer Mom

We went to Dallas this weekend.  The LA Galaxy was playing FC Dallas (major league soccer), which meant this was a one-of-a-kind opportunity to see David Beckham and Landon Donovan play in person.  Because there are three rabid, over-the-top soccer fans in my house, we couldn’t pass it up.

But before I tell you about it, I have to ask you Texans a question:  when did they pick up your state and move it to the equator?  Because THE SUN!  And THE HEAT!   It was the kind of sun that scoffed at our four layers of sunscreen.  We all sat in that stadium and just fried like chickens.  It doesn’t help that when they made the state-of-the-art major league soccer stadium in Frisco, TX (just north of Dallas), they included every possible amenity…except shade.  I guess there’s a little shade, but you shill out big bucks for it.  I think it’s right there on your ticket:  seat 23, row 7, section 142 AND SHADY.

All the frying was worth it, though, for my little guys to have such a big day:

Jersey1_3

The big guy himself:

Beckham2

My nine year old would like for me to include a picture of Landon Donovan.  According to my boy, Donovan is the real star of the team, and Beckham just came to America and stole all the limelight.  These are the nuggets of wisdom I would never have known if I weren’t the mother of sons.

Donovan

An interesting thought occurred to me as I glared in the blazing sun at the skybox just across from us:

Skybox_2

Actually, she probably wasn’t, Hubs informed me.  He said that Victoria Beckham doesn’t generally travel with the team.  A shame.  That would’ve made for an awesome post.

Here is what my daughter Corrie thinks of major league soccer:

Lap

I will tell you that there is nothing sweeter than having a sweaty toddler draped in your lap when you’re sitting under the equatorial sun.  Late in the first half, she and I wandered around in search of some relief.

Corrie was the first to see it.  She squealed with delight and made a bee-line for this:

Shade

Lord have mercy on us!  It’s a SHADOW!

Here’s another David Beckham picture, because I want to be sure I get my money (and sunburn’s) worth:

Beckham1

We’re home (and a little crispy) now.  But when I can get the rest of my pictures downloaded, I have to show you a picture of the Texas version of Sonic.  It’s just almost too much to take in.

72 thoughts on “Soccer Mom

1. Valerie at Home says:

Yeah, I saw those 90+ degree forecasts for Dear Ol’ Dallas and I think I laughed maniacally while enjoying the 70s here in NC. However, just the mention of Sonic has been burning with jealousy because they are few and far between here!

2. jenny says:

I bet that was an exciting day for your boys for sure! Hopefully you’re luckier than I am and your sunburn will turn into a lovely tan instead of just flake away! Corrie has the right idea… any bit of shade will work!

3. Howdy says:

LOL I loved the Shade Picture… with the bottle of water… LOL Too Cute!
    I miss my family that lives there in TX, but the weather, the heat, the tornados, the heat, the bugs, the heat… not so much.
    OH and I miss the flat land… and the sky… all that wonderful sky! Which unfortunately was full of sunshine for you… and heat!
    I found a Sonic out in Lancaster Co. PA the other day while out house hunting… I’m guessing the one in TX was BIGGER… because as we all know – everythings Bigger in TX!

4. Dee says:

At least it was over 100. In 2003 we had over 30 straight days over 100 by min June. In 2004 or 2005 it hit 100 in April. It could have been worse. Have you ever been to Texas Stadium? There is shade there but it is so humid, hot, and it gets still/stuffy.

5. Vicki says:

We went to see the KC Wizards play the Galaxy last year, just to see Beckham. His knee was injured so we were hoping to see him on the sidelines. Then his father passed away and he had to hop back over to England. Totally understandable, yet nonetheless disappointing. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

6. stacy says:

Well, now, I’m from Texas so you will have to post a pic of your sonic as well. I curious to know the difference.

7. Judy says:

Yeah, the winters here are mild, which is AWESOME (yay for oranges and other citrus/tropical fare in my backyard), but the summer’ll kill you if you aren’t ready for it. I love me some Texas heat, though…makes the lemonade taste sweeter!

8. Tracye says:

Yes, the heat! My God, the heat!
    I posted yesterday about our Saturday in THE HEAT!!!
    We live far, far south of Dallas. The forecast today is 92. Doesn’t look good for June through October. Cause that’s when the heat starts to wilt a little.
    I remember when I had a sweaty toddler in my lap during an Astro’s game one summer. Such fun.

9. Sheila says:

Why is it that when kids are sweaty they want to touch you? I will never understand that.
    Did you burn like crazy? We always burn when there’s lots of sun. It’s just terrible. We’re all skin cancer waiting to happen.
    I’m glad your family had a good day, though! I think I would have taken that water and poured it over my head.
    Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

10. Smockity Frocks says:

I agree about the heat! We live in the tippy, tippy top of TX and it is amazing how much cooler it is. Whenever we visit Dallas, the kids say, “It’s so hot here I can’t breathe!” I don’t even want to think about how hot it will be in Austin (closer to the equator!) when we attend our family reunion this year.

11. hm says:

Welcome to Texas baby! We are one of the few states where you can actually swim outside 10 months out of the year!
    The humidity is so much fun as well, right?

12. megan says:

I’m very impressed with your son – it’s true that Landon Donovan is the real leader of the team but you never hear about him these days. But – even though I know that, I would still be more excited to see Beckham.

13. Lisa T. says:

I hear you, girl – we live in the Dallas area, and my son played a tee-ball (CHAMPIONSHIP!) game yesterday in that same equatorial sun. Sheesh. They won, by the way. 🙂

14. life with the wisners says:

seriously. have you read my blog? where i refer to myself as summer janet? she’s a miserable person. and she lives in dallas. where it’s summer until christmas.
    i’m hot just thinking about your weekend.
    come to think of it, i’m hot just sitting at my computer looking outside. and it’s only 8:30am.
    must go. apply. deodorant. immediately.

15. bee says:

Well, the least he could have done was play with his shirt off! I mean, since you had to sit in the sun and all that!

16. jenn says:

You were in my neck of the woods! We have not been to anything at the soccer stadium yet – sorry to hear it was so hot. We are suppose to have 90+ degree weather all week. Gotta love that Texas heat.

17. Dawn W says:

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy our Texas weather. The problem was that you didn’t come far enough south… we have DRY heat here in Austin. And you know, DRY heat is much better. Hehe!

18. Miche says:

That is a great post! (I was born in Texas-the heat is something you acclimate too) Also, I wanted to let you know I got TAGGED by Steph at Adventures in Babywearing, and I know you are busy with things on your blog, but I thought it would be fun to TAG you and learn 10 random facts!

19. Jamie @ ohbecareful says:

The Texas version of Sonic? You have me curious now, since we live in Houston (a couple hours South of Dallas) and I have no idea what you are talking about.
    I’m not used to Texas heat and humidity either, and I’ve lived here for almost 9 years now. This is the time of year that I pretty much hole up in the house and bask in the air condition, one of the greatest inventions since the wheel. Props to you for braving the tormenting climate for a Soccer game.

20. Brooke says:

I live in Plano, TX. It’s about 10 minutes from Frisco. And since it is Texas, Saturday actually was a really good day! We spent it at the zoo. Today is another story…with a high of 95 degrees. We’ll be inside for sure!

21. AF says:

Ah, yes. I live in Dallas too, and I believe Sunday was warmer than Saturday! I was sweating when we walked into church Sunday morning. I’m sure the people loved to shake my hand during, “introduce yourself to someone new” time.

22. Tricia says:

I get the meanest mom in the world award because we could not make it to that game.
    I think my 16 year old son and your sons would get along famously.
    And about the Texas heat and lack of shade…It’s only May. The same situation in August and you might just have burst into flames. It happens. This is Texas.
    In Texas we run from air conditioned building, to our air conditioned cars, to the next air conditioned building. We don’t go outside and we most definitely don’t go to outdoor sporting events.
    We Texans come outside from November to March. After that we’re pretty much inside (And yes, I do speak for the entire state thankyouverymuch.)

23. Headless Mom says:

She’s headless! Just like my little ones!
    We fried this weekend, too. Only we were at baseball games- little league and AAA. No rest for the weary, I tell you!

24. susanne says:

The things we do for our kids!
    The pics are great of the game, but what I really want to know is Where did you get your cute shoes?

25. Kim says:

I live near Frisco, and today the temp’s supposed to be close to 100! I prefer warm over cold though, so I try not to complain. 🙂

26. Kimberly says:

Yep, Texas is always hotter than lots of other places due in part to the crazy humidity…and to think we moved here by choice! 🙂

27. Ann G says:

Well you just happened to come to Texas (Dall-us) for us transplanted natives! the first weekend we’ve had warm and sunny weather alllllll season…Welcome to my neck of the woods! Yes, summers are simply good for 2 things around here — swimming pools and ac! At least you had fun! I spent my weekend dealing with an bites that turned bad! Take care of that sunburn with aquaphor….and it’ll be gone in a couple of days! I should know I have gallons of the stuff around here cuz we get sunburned just walking to Sonic!

28. Ashley says:

Hey Shannon!
    I’ll have to agree with you about the weather. It was a little warm yesterday! I’m so glad ya’ll got to go to the game! I saw a little tiny bit of that game on TV but I didn’t realize it was in Texas! You can see how much of a soccer person I am!

29. Joy says:

Sounds like a fun trip- if you have a sunburn the BEST thing that actually makes it feel better is Banana Boat Sooth-A-Caine. It is a blue spray and it really does provide relief!

30. Nickie says:

Yes, we have two seasons in Dallas: Summer, and Almost Summer. It was actually a really nice weekend–it is supposed to be scorching this week! I’m glad ya’ll had a good time here. Love your blog.

31. Leslie says:

Just imagine how it feels in August. I’m in Houston and it’s so much hotter and more humid here. I agree with another comment, what’s different about our Sonics?

32. Jamie says:

Sweat and sunburns that is what good memories are made of! Heat aside, sounds like it was a good experience for the soccer fans in your house!

33. jenn says:

Hey – missed the info about the “Texas Sonic”. Since I live in Frisco I am curious the place you are talking about. B/c we have 4 Sonic’s here as well. :o)

34. Donna says:

Here in Texas:
    * The primo parking spots aren’t closest to the door… they’re the closest to the one tree in the parking lot.
    * A black interior on a car is a deal-breaker. You just don’t do it.
    * We technically don’t believe in day-time out-door sporting events. Notice the stands… they were empty.
    * We consider 90-95 degrees to be nice… I just talked with my co-workers in our staff meeting about how nice it was this weekend.
    I could go on and on being a native Texan myself… but alas, I shall go eat some lunch… indoors… while looking at my car so carefully parked close to a tree… with it’s tan interior and windows down and sun shade up…

35. Debs says:

Posh was live on London radio this morning (and I heard her), so although it is possible she was there, I have to say she didn’t sound jet lagged, and she didn’t mention being there 😉

36. Jai says:

I Ditto these comments .. word for word
    Tricia | Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    =======
    Reeeal curious about the Sonic differences .. I didn’t know there were any ….

37. Chelsea says:

I’m in San Antonio (Go Spurs Go!) and today is a pleasant 91. That’s not even swimsuit weather yet.
    Can’t wait to learn how Texas Sonic differs from Oklahoma Sonic. I thought they’d be the same, only ours would have more neon.

38. Janelle says:

I am laughing so hard. I guess we Texans get used to the heat because it didn’t seem hotter than usual this weekend. I’m so glad you got to experience the Big D and Frisco. Isn’t Frisco beautiful? Hope you were able to eat some yummy Mexican food.

39. Ewokgirl says:

It’s still freaking hot here. Poor hubby drove to work in a car with broken AC. I made an appointment for said car tomorrow to have it fixed. We don’t care what it costs!
    I’m sorry you had to come on such a toasty weekend, but I’m glad your boys got to experience such a cool thing (for them).

40. Amanda says:

I don’t envy you in that soupbowl of sweat. There’s no shade anywhere around Frisco. Hopefully, you took time afterwards to drop into Stonebriar for some good ol’ A/C.
    As for the Sonic, girl, we need our ice! It’s HOT!

41. Elaine says:

Well Holy Moly! I didn’t know you were headed to my “neck o’ the woods!” Actually I live about 30 miles from where you were, but still!
    Yes, the sun is nasty here. That Corrie is a smart girl!
    Cool that you got to see David Beckham. You are THE best mom!

42. Crystal says:

Hey, David Beckham was in Edmonton just recently too. We aren’t soccer fans so we didn’t go but the young soccer fans had a terrific time – and were ecstatic. One big difference – the temperature was only about 50 degrees! But you did get some lovely pictures :))

43. Rebecca U says:

I do believe I saw the Roughriders play ball in that same stadium, not quite as hot though. I moved back to CA, do not miss that TX heat at all…although we had our own 100degree day last week.

44. edj says:

Ah yes, sweaty toddlers and blazing heat! That takes me back to my first few months in Mauritania. Happily, now they’re too old to find solace draped over me in the heat. Now they do it to be annoying!

45. kelli in the mirror says:

It was 99 in Dallas today!
    And I’m curious that our version of Sonic is different than yours? I only know the Texas kind, so you’ll have to put up a picture of what it looks like in your neck of the woods too.

46. Joanna says:

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Despite the heat. That isn’t my idea of fun, I don’t think I could last one day in TX!

47. Jane says:

Need I remind you it’s MAY! It was forcasted to be 100 yesterday (5-19)–I think we only made 97 though! We love the heat–but you have to be prepared for it! Just know you’re gonna be hot and reapply! (several times!)
    Sonic rules! I teach school and I bet half our staff has a Sonic cup by the end of each day–some of us start with one!
    Texas Blessins’ Ya’ll,
    Jane

48. Valerie says:

Really? Gosh, this past weekend was so nice! 😉 I am a native Californian living in the Dallas area, and I knew I had been officially Texanified when I walked out of work yesterday into 99 degree weather and thought, “Well, at least it’s not too bad yet.”
    I’m looking forward to your comparison of Texas and Oklahoma Sonic!

49. Laura says:

I am new to your blog. This post cracked me up. I live in Dallas! Saturday was fantastic. We were at a Luau, BUT by a pool!!! The shade picture is priceless. Have you ever been to Houston? I grew up there and it is worse than Dallas, due to the extreme humidity. Yuck.

50. lomagirl says:

Next time give us some warning and the Dallas area blog readers can throw a party! What do you say, ya’ll?
    (I’m not from here, but I’ve lived here long enough to know that lingo.)

51. Shannon says:

Yeah it is already roasting hot here and it’s not even June yet. I’m a little miffed that we have not yet planned a vacation and told hubby that if we want to drive somewhere, summer is out. Because anywhere driveable is in Texas. And anywhere in Texas is too hot.
    Glad your boys had fun though.

52. Brea in Texas says:

See, most of us Texas gals are on relatively good terms with the heat (and laughing on the inside that you were that hot in May … because we live here during AUGUST, baby!!!), but I don’t know many of us that can handle cold weather. I mean, really? Snow? Ice?
    When the forecast says we’re going to get into the lower 30’s, all our weather men start freaking out, and all the news channels start telling how to keep your pets from freezing to death, and how to properly wrap your pipes. They have to remind us that if you leave plants outside, the plants will die.
    And God forbid that an ice storm hits. Texans completely forget how to drive when there is ice on the road. Everyone thinks, ‘Aww shucks, it’s just a little ole’ ice patch. Ain’t nothing to slow down for!!’ And then hits the gas. And crashes. Into 14 other cars. It’s not pretty. And by ‘pretty,’ I’m actually saying ‘purty.’
    We southwest of Austin right now, but I grew up just outside Houston. It snowed once there. In like 1985. I think school may have been let out early. They were expecting at least 4-6 flakes to make it to the ground.
    But the heat. I’ll take it any day over cold weather. Seriously. 🙂