…And a Partridge In a Pear Tree

Hubs cleaned out my mini-van before our trip this weekend.  He came inside and told me, "I made a list of everything I found in your car.  I thought you would want to post it."

I love that man.

Without further ado, here are the things that were in my car all at the same time:

• check register
    • soccer bag
    • soccer ball
    • sleeping bag
    • Dora backpack
    • Disney princess purse
    • two (non-matching) socks
    • water bottle
    • gum wrappers
    • gum stuck to floor
    • sticky substance in cup holder
    • photo album
    • frisbee
    • Arby’s kids’ meal toy
    • two fake $100 bills
    • four unaddressed Christmas cards with envelopes
    • used band-aid
    • sun visor
    • pacifier
    • four dryer sheets
    • rubber bouncy ball
    • one book
    • plastic daisy ring
    • rocks (of course)
    • Tinkerbell flashlight
    • one loose Advil
    • hair clip
    • molar (Yes.  A real one.  From someone’s mouth.)

I am so proud.

101 thoughts on “…And a Partridge In a Pear Tree

1. Denise says:

That is hilarious. I am glad to know that I am not the only one with junk all over my vehicle. Of course in my car you would have found old french fries and chicken nuggets underneath the car seats.

2. Runningamuck says:

I was with ya all the way till I read the the last one. A MOLAR??? Those you don’t loose and not realize it. That’s hilarious. Must be a guy thing? I would have had my mom stop the car (MIGHT have let her take the time to pull over out of traffic) and make everyone in the car search for my tooth like a lost contact lense if it’d been me as a kid! LOL!

3. MelanieS says:

Thank you! This was the motivation I needed to go clean out my van, just so I can blog the unbelievable things that I’m sure are hiding in there!! Glad to see I’m not the only one with unaddressed Christmas cards in my vehicle! πŸ™‚

4. pam says:

So that’s where my Christmas card ended up last year? I wondered why I still have your last year’s photo on my fridge : )
    Don’t send the molar as a consolation prize. The seven Libbyline got pulled last week are still waiting in their box for the tooth fairy to come. How much does she pay when the dentist charges $900 + for an extraction? I’m still trying to figure out the triple digit math . . .

5. Cindy O. says:

Thank Goodness, I am not the only one–my husband cringes when I say, shall we clean the van??
    He should really RUN–but honestly–for me it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep a clean car with two kids. . . am I right???

6. sandy says:

Oh, I love it. Sounds just like our car. I had put one of my kids molars in my “paper clip” jar – and as it was overflowing I sent a baggie of paperclips back to the office (I work from home). In the baggie was the molar! Everyone in the office got a good laugh.
    I just can’t keep our car clean w/3 active kids! Sigh …

7. Cheryl Lage says:

I’ll see your sticky substance in a cup holder, and raise you a half-eated Krispy Kreme doughnut hole.
    PERFECT post! Cannot believe I’ve just found you…adding you to my daily-must reads.

8. Hm says:

I think you need to do a “What’s In Your Car” Blog Carnival. . .that would be fabulous!
    Think of all the pleased husbands (or displeased if they have have to do it)!

9. Kristi says:

My husband used to complain after “treasure hunts” like that, but now after 12 years of marriage and 6 years of parenthood, he has learned to finally laugh it off. The molar is a little questionable though, don’t you think? LOL

10. Howdy says:

Aaahhh but he cleaned your car!! My car is full of dog fur these days… oh and real estate listings from our house hunting trips! My kids are all grown and my granddaughter doesn’t live close… what I wouldn’t give to have kid stuff in my car again…

11. Lynn says:

I was nodding in agreement while reading the list as most of that stuff has been in my vehicle. You lost me at the molar, though. πŸ˜‰ Too funny your husband made the list. My husband has also started looking our for things I might want to post, too. πŸ™‚

12. Erin says:

The list wasn’t as bad as I expected based on what ends up in my SUV from one 5 and one 1 year old.
    Awesome hubby cleaning out your van for you and creating blog fodder!

13. Shalee says:

I’m amazed that your British lady in the car didn’t say, “Shannon dear, I don’t want to be a carryall! Cheerio!”
    I could use that Advil, if you don’t mind… house hunting is not really my thing!

14. Mamacita says:

My kids are in their twenties now, so I guess I should at least begin to clean out our van.
    There was a really bad smell back there for a while, but it’s gone now. I think I might be able to see your molar and raise you something too gross to contemplate.
    I know for a fact that there are two melted chocolate Easter bunnies back there that are at least ten years old. Beyond that, I don’t really like to analyze it.
    There might be something living in the five hundred pounds of random cellophane tossed in the back. Maybe several generations. And I’m going to assume that all those disgusting smears on the backs of the seats are french fry grease, but I don’t really think so. After all these years, plain grease wouldn’t be so topographical.
    I tend to put off chores that make me gag.

15. Tiffany says:

If I did this I doubt I’d want to post my list. It would probably include at least one wrapped up dirty diaper, a sticky dumdum sitting on it’s wrapper, one high heeled shoe from last Sunday when they hurt to bad to wear them to and from church,half-a-burrito,rotten lemonade and other stuff I’d have to much pride to list …. although I doubt that many mama bloggers have much pride left!
    Thank you for your humility.Though there didn’t seem to be anything stinky, I’m just wondering if the flashlight, fake $$$ and molar were involved in a crime…

16. Joanna says:

If I were to clean out my minivan right now (HA yeah right LOL!) I am quite certain that our lists would be pretty much identical. Sans molar lol!

17. Dawn W says:

LOL. I hope you don’t mind but I’ll be showing your list to my neat freak hubby. He seems to think I’m the only one that carries this type of stuff around in my vehicle. And purse. Pockets? Yep, some days…

18. Mandy says:

I cleaned mine out last week….thank goodness. I would have felt obligated to post my list, but mortified if I actually did it. Kudos for being so open w/ your internet friends.

19. Starr says:

I’ve heard you should throw dryer sheets under the seats in your car to keep it smelling fresh. So you should just act like those were there on purpose!

20. Mary says:

Wow! How on earth do you get your family in there? I have vague recollections of stuff in my car like that. Now, it’s usually an extra box of tissues, 2 bottles of water and dirt from the farm. Of course my kids and grands are 2000 miles away!

21. Tami says:

That is too funny! When I cleaned out my cara few weeks ago, I actually found 2 teeth. And lots of food and sticky messes that I don’t even want to think about. And I was just looking under the 3rd row seat for some loose groceries and low and behold, the mess is accumulating again. Kids!

22. Julie Anne says:

that is great!!
    I just have cheerios, diapers (clean ones), wipes and a double stroller. Probably a few other things, but my floor is remarkably clean!!

23. Happy Mommy says:

We leave for a 14 hour car ride this weekend and I have not cleaned out our car yet…. I am pretty sure it will be worse, except I don’t think we will find any teeth.

24. jessica @pianomomsicle says:

i have all 30 completed, unaddressed, unstamped thank you notes from my son’s first birthday party three months ago in my van. i stopped going places because every time i’d look down, i’d find all the unstamped guilt and hear the combined thoughts of all the guests “we bought him something nice and his mom can’t even send a thank you?”
    i love it, though. a Tooth? That’s awesome.

25. Marian says:

No rats. That’s a good sign.
    I’ve thought of maintaining a running list of things I find in the bowels of the couch, too =)

26. LeeAnn (AKA FrazzMom) says:

Now THAT would make a great bloggy carnival! How about getting everyone to clean out their cars and post what they find? It would make me feel a whole lot better about my own vehicle! LOL!

27. tracey says:

You do realize that I will have to copy this post, right? Of course, I will have to clean my van first, but I will write down the list… If I have a paper big enough.

28. Gloria says:

Hey, what about dirty stained underwear? Broken crayon bits? Molding yogurt in a cup? Sour milk in a baby bottle? I was laughing at the used Band Aid. I always have that and it never fails to gross me out. Oh that makes me feel so much better that I’m not the only one!

29. Beachy Mimi says:

I would have to add some straws, french fries, books, receipts but not the molar?!?
    Do you know who lost it?

30. Jenny says:

That’s so funny! It also serves as a reminder to me that I really, really need to de-trash the van. BAD. VERY. BAD.

31. Jennifer says:

Are yoy sure it wasn’t my car he went through?!?! I just cleaned out my car yesterday and I already know within a week it’ll be a mess again. Most days I just give up, it’ll be messy the next day anyways…lol!

32. Cindy says:

This is funny, because the kids and I spent the better part of the day cleaning out our van. We have a 15-passenger, so there was A LOT more in my van than yours. πŸ™‚ Tomorrow I’ll be returning everything that was IN the van to its proper place in the house…but that’s another day’s work.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

33. Elizabeth says:

The man I live with would have had a cow. Luckily, since he cares that the car is clean he is the one who cleans it. Last night, though he had a little help… I’m down one satellite stereo. 😦

34. Jenna says:

I did a similar post a while back but only blogged some of the items in there since the state of the van was too horrible to be believed. I did however find 7 sippy cups in there. And I only have 2 kids. So embarrassing.

35. PPenguin says:

Sounds like you are describing the contents of my car (minus child-related stuff) prior to my marriage. My husband is a neat freak, so I’ve learned to rein it in and our car is generally very clean.
    I now reserve most of my mess making for my study, which he rarely sets foot in.

36. Bitsy says:

That’s all??? I have two grandsons and don’t have them everyday, but I’m in my car a lot and it’s AMAZING what I find in there when I finally clean it out!!!!!
    What a hoot! Joy, Bitsy

37. Kristenkj says:

Love this! The other day I found an old diaper in my car–all bound up nice and neat, no idea how long it’d been there. Thank goodness it wasn’t a dirty one. P.U.

38. Tina in Thailand says:

Would you believe that I too have a tooth in my car? Not a molar though, an incisor. It slides around on the dashboard each time I turn. My son is hoping that by keeping it in plain sight, the tooth fairy will actually remember to pay him for this one.

39. darci says:

I would love to say. I want to see a photo. But then you would probably demand to see my room. which I can’t share, it’s mortifying. But anyways. Found in my car tonight Hundreds of Dollars of Partylite Product. Why you ask? I am too tired to pack it back up the stairs. We raised 109.00 to contribute to bring home 2 babies from Africa to a waiting family!!

40. Tracey Conrad-Psalm 118:24 says:

LOL (literally)!!!
    My Expedition is so grody too :o) There’s probably a dozen half eaten chicken nuggets in between and under the seats and there are sticky “things” stuck to the carpet in various places. Good luck trying to sell this beast this November!