I Want You To Read This

Reader Kelly sent me the following e-mail, and she gave me permission to re-print it publicly.  It blessed my socks off, and I think it will yours, too:

A month or so ago, you told of the sweet woman  who came up to you when your purse was stolen, and she gave you flowers. I made a comment on your blog, that it inspired me to do something for someone else.

I was inspired to help a friend whose 2 children have been very ill all year. She is very overwhelmed…her family was going on vacation and I wanted to bless her by POWER CLEANING her home for her. This is the one area where she was most frustrated and hopeless. She felt trapped by all the germs her kids had all year long, and they were stuck in the house and she was very very behind in cleaning. It got to a point where she cried and told me her home was no longer her sanctuary but a trap for her….she hated being there.

So I got her permission to clean. She thought it was just going to be me. But I got 5 other friends of hers, and I gave them all a room to clean….over the last week we have all spent countless hours scrubbing, and organizing. We went through every single drawer, cleaning them and organizing them. That house was cleaned from top to bottom. I also organized a group of friends from our church (we share the same church) to make freezer meals. So we stocked her freezer. We even planted flowers in her outside flower pots. We washed all the sheets, curtains, valances. Got her a new shower curtain. Changed her furniture around….we wanted it to be an extreme home makeover. 🙂

They got home from vacation last night. She opened her door to a fresh, clean, sanctuary. We left flowers on the counter. Cookies, gifts for her and her children. A lasagna in the fridge for dinner, milk and bread. Cards all over the house. IT WAS THE GREATEST THING I’VE EVER DONE. It felt so awesome to give and serve. To know we could bless her, a hurting sister.

That makes me want to go out right this very minute and find someone who needs my help.  Let’s do it, friends.

90 thoughts on “I Want You To Read This

1. Lisa says:

What a lovely story. She is so blessed to have such thoughtful, serving sisters.
    We all have plenty of opportunities to do things for others if we simply look around.

2. Org Junkie says:

What an amazing story and such a blessing!
    Thank you for sharing it with us Shannon.
    Stories such as these and the momentum that it generates is what is so awesome about blogging!

3. Lightening says:

What a fabulous thing to do. I’m going to consider what I can do for someone else too. I try to live like that all the time but it’s great to have a gentle nudge as well. We can get a little too caught up in our own world’s (and problems) sometimes.

4. Grandma Rosie says:

What a beautiful idea. Bless and be blessed at the same time. If enough people were willing to help others our world would have a lot less suffering.

5. Lydia says:

LOVE IT! What a fantastic idea! Sometimes it’s not the obvious (homeless, new mommies, grieving) that we should be helping!

6. Kristenkj says:

Wow, what a great friend she is… Now I’m going to have to find something to do for someone. It is hard to remember other people sometimes need us when we’re so absorbed in our own lives. But there is always someone that could use a little help.

7. Vivja says:

Can you please fix your right border on the WFMW post? Can’t fully read the right column.

8. April says:

I did this for a friend when she was in her third tri-mester. Now that I’m pregnant she has come over and helped clean, de-clutter and stock my freezer. She’s a gem of a friend.

9. Karol says:

What a wonderfully inspiring story! Brought tears to my eyes and reminded me that I need to help others more. Thanks for sharing.

10. jolyn says:

This is so totally awesome. I wonder if you’ve any idea how this could grow and grow? Right here on your website. You just might end up on the Oprah show.

11. Mrs. Pharris says:

I’m so in!
    I’m planning to give my friend (who is pregnant with baby #7) a hand massage and manicure. And keeping a close eye out for more opportunities!

12. Jenn says:

That is wonderful! I think it is an incredible thing when we get the chance to be the ‘hands and feet’ of Christ. Every act of kindness is so important…this just gives me the encouragement to keep serving Him…which in turn means serving others too!

13. kelly s says:

Thanks Shanon!
    The gift I wrote about continues to give and give. Her children were able to see how God provides for their family in difficult situations. Her neighbors saw all of us coming and going and planting flowers outside and would stop and ask us what was going on. Her husband was touched to see what all had been done and told all of his work friends how God provided. WE CAN’T OUT GIVE GOD!!!
    PAY IT FORWARD.
    Kelly S.

14. Lindsay says:

Wow that is an amazing story! That was very sweet of Kelly to get all of those wonderful ladies to help another sister out. I am going to think of something my family can do for another family.

15. April says:

This gave me chills! What a wonderful story! I know this sweet lady and her friend are both blessed indeed. This reminds me that I need to look for ways to help others – even if it is in small ways! Thanks for this great reminder.

16. Marni says:

I know of a church family of women who provided meals for a family 3 times every week for 2-3 years because the mother had breast cancer and 9 children. She did die. What a testament, what perseverance.

17. Marni says:

I know of a mother with nine children who got breast cancer. The women in her church brought a supper meal over several times every week for almost 3 years! The mother had a mastectomy and then the cancer came back and she died. I hope I will rise to the occasion as these women did.

18. Amy says:

What a touching story. There are so many ways we can help those around us. What a blessing that she listened to her friend and knew exactly how to help in the best way. A true gem. Thanks for being an example for us all.

19. Amy says:

20. rrmama says:

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. What an awesome gift for a hurting sister.
    What a wonderful blessing to start my day off with!

21. KD says:

Thank you and your friend for sharing such a wonderful story! The more we hear of goodness and kindness the more we are inspired for goodness and kindness in our own lives and to pass it on to those we meet!

22. Candace says:

That blessed my socks off too – thanks for sharing that!!!
    I know that overwhelmed feeling too, and that must have been the hugest blessing for that woman to receive.
    What a sweet, sweet spirit those ladies had who went in and cleaned for them.

23. Amanda says:

Such an awesome act of kindness. I know that had to bless that family just so much. Jesus in the flesh is an amazing thing.

24. Heather Young says:

Absolutely beautiful! I have tears in my eyes. I have done the spontanious give someone something they need because I can bit but it never occurred to me to take it further and organize such a beautiful thing (probably because I am no good at organizing) but still. Thank you for sharing.

25. pam says:

What a wonderful example of community. We truly are called to be the family of God and what better way to show that than by easing another’s burden.
    I plan to ask the Lord for opportunities that I can include my daughters in this summer so we can establish a mindset of service.

26. Stephanie says:

Isn’t God great? He takes servanthood, which by worldly terms is a lowly position, and makes it into one of the most beautiful gifts–for both the giver and the receiver.
    Yay Kelly! Not only for thinking of your friend, but for turning those thoughts into actions!

27. Melanie says:

This brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. When we are willing to help, God always provides a way and uses us in blessings we cannot imagine.
    He is so good!

28. Janet says:

That is so totally awesome. Thank you for sharing this, and to the lady who wrote the original post, thank you for doing this! This kind of thing truly is inspiring.
    This is my FAVORITE blog. Thank you!!!!

29. Elizabeth says:

What a priceless gift and wonderful blessing!! Thanks for sharing and continuing to inspire — *Ü*

30. Liz C. says:

That sounds like SO MUCH FUN!
    In my circle of friends, one of the ladies has experienced a profound loss recently. She was on the phone with one of us, and was asked what we could do to help, and through her tears, she said she just wished someone had a magic wand and could make it easier.
    Well, that friend listened to heavenly inspiration… she decorated a wand, asked each of us to write a short note of love, encouragement, silliness, etc, and attached them to the now-magic wand with ribbons.
    We can’t always remove the burden, but we can sure help with bearing it. The recipient of the magic wand was touched, and all who participated were touched as well.
    Service and compassion provide comfort and joy for those we serve, but I must confess, I often serve for selfish reasons– *I* love the joy I have when I’ve served as my Saviour would have me serve.
    I’m continually encouraged by the fact that there are wonderful people in this world.

31. sunshine says:

That’s a great example of “Low risk, High Grace” Isn’t it amazing how if we just give a little what a blessing it can be to others and ourselves!

32. Story Girl says:

That is incredibly inspiring! Even more so because it was a community of people surrounding this family and loving them in such a practical way! Thank you for sharing!

33. Elaine says:

What a beautiful thing those ladies did for her. If only more people would treat each other with such love, respect and service.
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

34. Pam says:

S P E C T A C U L A R !!!! Inspiring….. a true demonstration of the love of Christ.
    God Bless, Pam, South Bend

35. molly says:

Thank you so much for posting this. I needed to hear it. I have a dear friend who did the very same thing for me when my dad was in the hospital for two weeks and eventually passed away. It was a tough time and she was a HUGE blessing to me! I have been really focused on myself lately and struggling with some issues…I needed this reminder to be thinking about and serving others! I already have someone in mind. Have a great weekend.

36. Erin says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that story! People are GOOD, people are KIND, people CARE about each other. It is so refreshing to hear and be inspired by others who are doing something! I’m going to run out and see if I can make someone smile! Thanks!

37. Deirdre says:

how beautiful. and it must have helped your heart too , knowing that your sharing of a piece of hope in the midst of a very trying situation turned out to have such awesome results. thank you for sharing.

38. Veggiemomof2 says:

I’ve spent the last 3 days @ my cousin’s house cleaning & helping her take care of her newborn & toddler after her c-section last friday. 🙂

39. Kris says:

That is awesome! What a blessing and an inspiration. I’m going to be looking for someone who needs my help and see how I can bless someone’s life.

40. Valerie says:

I love this! Just as a thought that some people/churches might want to adopt – every now and then in our church we have a ‘week of extreme honour’ we we all go all out to bless each other as wildly as we can! This can include a monetary gift, dinner out for a couple with babysitting provided, meals for single people – whatever you think will honour someone greatly! Last year someone gave us a big basket with all sorts of lovely goodies in it, for a picnic. We loved it! I cooked about eight or ten lasagnes for the single people in our church, figuring that they would never make lasagnes for themselves! I gave them each a salad and garlic bread too. It doesn’t have to involve money – babysitting for someone, or writing a sweet card – anything to bless someone.
    It is so much fun!

41. Crystal says:

What a beautiful story! Serving others – one of the 3 things that Jesus asks/wants/tells us to do. So many people doing such beautiful things for others – our world is a special place.

42. Molly says:

Some friends of mine did something similar for me a few months after Felicity died. I wept for days. This was a great story–thanks for sharing!

43. Ashleigh (Heart and Home) says:

What an amazing blessing and testimony of Jesus loving through others. The mom who lived in the home is also a testimony to me of *allowing* the Lord to love her through others… since some of us (cough) tend to have a problem with that one, too.

44. Kristin says:

The best thing, I believe, is that the woman who got the house blessing – she allowed it to happen. She could have easily said no to the offer of help.
    I’m so happy to see such love being passed around. Bless you all.
    Kristin

45. Erin says:

I don’t comment often…the last time was when I read about your trip and decided to sponsor through Compassion but I read when I can and this brought tears to my eyes!!! Thank you, to you and the reader who wrote, for the testimony of service! What an awesome reminder of what we are called to do for each other, even if it isn’t on such a grand scale!!!

46. briana says:

Oh, that just brings tears to my eyes. I love to hear stories of the Body of Christ coming together to surround another in need. Awesome, God glorifying stuff. Thanks for posting!

47. margalit says:

THat is the most awesome thing ever. As a handicapped mom, I can relate to the mom in the story about feeling trapped in my house. It becomes a prison when it’s so cluttered and dirty. Having someone come and clean and organize must have made her feel so much lighter and happier. Lets just hope it stays that way! 🙂

48. Amy says:

What an amazing gift– I’m sure the family did feel like they’d had an extreme home make over! 🙂

49. Kelley @ O2BNAZ says:

My neighbors and friends did this very same thing for me when my Mom passed away last year. It meant the world to me, and I will ALWAYS remember their kindness.

50. Becky says:

I’ve just started reading your blog and I must say that I really love it. I love this post especially. What a friend to do that for another. It brought tears to my eyes.

51. Steff says:

Oh wow what an awesome blessing that would be. I have been struggling so with my house. between depression issues, my kids being out of school since early may and finding out that I wasnt starting early menopause but having a later pregnancy I have been thrown for a loop the last month and my house looks like cyclone central…LOL
    But a very dear friend knew that my husband was coming home for the first time in 3 months and spent 4 hours helping me last night. It is a blessing to have those wonderful friends who can help out as well.
    Steff