Aptly Named

My brand-new Dell laptop has been a little glitchy since my Africa trip.  I think it must have had some bad fruit salad and just never quite bounced back.

But never fear!  I bought the extended warranty (which I will always do anytime I buy a computer for the rest of all time, world without end, amen), and a technician came right out to my very own kitchen to replace the motherboard.

The motherboard.  That’s an interesting name.  It sounds terribly important.  Because I generally think it’s great fun to point out my techno-ignorance to computer wizards, I asked my computer repairman about it.

And if you have ever asked a computer repairman about anything, you know that lo, the floodgates, how they will open, with more computer-speak than you ever wanted to know.

"The motherboard is the most essential component in your laptop," he began.  "All functions operate through it.  Think of it as the central nervous system of your computer."

"Oh," I said, "so I suppose that’s kind of why they call it the MOTHERboard.  It’s the mom!"

Ah, I am clever indeed.  The technician just looked at me blankly.  I forgot that metaphors don’t always go over well with computer-types.

He continued.  "It is vitally important to the overall function of your system, as it distributes power and communication where it is needed."  Well of course she it does.

"However," he said, "it will occasionally simulate glitches with other components, making problems appear where there are none."

Wait a minute.  This analogy is starting to get a little uncomfortable.

He kept going.  "For this reason, it the most often-replaced component.  There is great potential for upgrade."

Hold the phone!  Replaced?  Upgraded?  I think not.  Poor little motherboard, slaving away at her bits and bytes, completely unappreciated.

She probably didn’t even get a chance to take a shower this morning because she was so busy fixing everyone else’s breakfast.

Wait a minute, am I still talking about computers…?

Posted in: Fun

47 thoughts on “Aptly Named

1. JanMary, N Ireland says:

LOL. Just hope our dh’s don’t replace us with an upgraded model with more bells and whistles! Off to clean my screen and blow the crumbs out of my keyboard πŸ™‚

2. Tiffany says:

YES, I love your comparison.
    The key is to make yourself NOT replaceable. Or at least he’d have to replace the entire computer, NOT just the motherboard — as he can’t run it w/o you:)

3. Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates says:

Did the computer repairman look like any characters from a Dilbert cartoon?? πŸ™‚
    Let’s say that the motherboard being replaced and upgraded is what happens when we put on our new selves as children of God. We are constantly being replaced and upgraded as we grow in grace!

4. Yvie says:

From what my hubby has told me, if you replace the motherboard–that means upgrading all of the parts that goes with it. :-S I do hope everything goes well with your lappytop.

5. Miche says:

Hahahah!! I love the metaphor conversation!! My husband and brother in law are computer people, so I really enjoyed this! Thanks!

6. Jennifer says:

Seeing as how I just made two different breakfasts for my husband and eight-year old and also gave the baby his bottle this morning, and seeing as how I don’t see how I’ll have time to shower before it’s time to take the kiddo to his last day of school (be still my heart), I totally feel you on this!!!

7. We are THAT family says:

I’m thinking an overhaul and upgrade sounds nice, especially if a deep-tissue massage is involved.
    And could they throw in a rechargeable battery? This one is zapped.

8. shanna says:

I would like to think that if my dh tried to upgrade it would be a lot like switching to Vista… sure it looks nice but just try and get it to do anything correctly! Almost immediately he would be wishing for his XP back! Okay, I’m done with the analogy for now… anyway too funny!

9. Robyn says:

Ugh – the thought of replacing anything in a computer makes me break out in a cold sweat. Glad you got it fixed.
    Also, my husband was doing laundry the other day when he yelled, “Hey! Why are there rocks in our dryer?” I chuckled and thought of you.
    πŸ™‚

10. Robyn says:

Also, my husband was doing laundry the other day when he yelled, “Hey! Why are there rocks in the dryer?”
    You were thought of.
    πŸ™‚

11. Liz says:

And some computers get new skins too, just like we get new clothes. Or just like we go to buy new clothes for us and instead come home with new clothes for EVERYONE ELSE.

12. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

As the wife of a computer uber-geek, I *completely* understand! LOL Luckily, DaHubby is a loyal purist and isn’t interested in every new bell and whistle that passes his way! *wink*

13. llisa says:

Laughing over my motherboard! I’m glad the actual analogy ends at that replace or upgrade part! (At least I LIKE to think of myself ast irreplaceable!)

14. asnipofgoodness says:

What a great analogy, that’s what you meant right?????…..check out mine, on my blog,about fences. I don’t think anyone else “got” it.LOL Maybe you will….. Is there a Fatherboard?

15. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

Too funny! πŸ™‚ There are days when I wonder if I need an upgrade or some parts replaced. πŸ™‚ Thanks for the laugh!
    So, I can’t help but be a proud foster mama and tell you that I have just posted a couple of pictures of Baby Bug in a tutu. Stop by if you’d like to see her cuteness!

16. Superchikk says:

I am married to one of those computer geeks who builds his own computer because the ‘off-the shelf’ computers are “vastly inferior.” He’s replaced many a motherboard over the years.
    What your gushing computer tech didn’t tell you is that the motherboard usually gets WORN OUT from all the managing it has to do, and that’s really why it has to be replaced. It can literally burn out. I’ve seen many a motherboard with a scorched circuit, be it from wear and tear or a power surge.
    Makes that analogy even better, doesn’t it?

17. Rebecca says:

This was hysterical! I could just picture the blank expression on the technician’s face when you used that metaphor. πŸ™‚

18. jubilee says:

Overhaul? Upgrade? Honey, sign me up! You make me laugh out loud at the most inopportune times (i.e. while everyone is sleeping and I should be – or say, when I’ve just taken a swig of Lime Coke) and I love it.

19. TLC says:

Very funny post…loved your comparison.
    in my computer, I have a keychain that keeps all my passwords. It too, is protected by a password. Lose that password, and you are locked out. As the Motherboard, that’s my goal, to be sure to be the keeper of all the Important Information: I AM the password. If you want to know where the toilet paper is, or if there are hidden cookies above the wine glasses, or where the info is on that computer convention you are supposed to attend? Keep the Motherboard happy.