So Did You Hear the One About the Woman Who Gave Birth In a Bumblebee Costume?

No.  Really.  I heard about this three days ago.

According to the BBC, a British woman gave birth to her premature son, alone, in a hotel room, while she was wearing a bumblebee costume, without even knowing she was pregnant:

Ally Ashwell, from Newcastle, was touring the seaside town’s pubs and clubs in a bumble-bee outfit, when she began to feel unwell.

She returned to her hotel room, where the shocked 30-year-old found herself delivering her own baby.

Well, that had to sting.

She’s certainly going to bee busy.

I’m sorry.  I’ve been holding in the bee punchlines for three whole days, and I just couldn’t do it any more.

The buzz is that her new little honey is a strong fighter, and his prognosis is excellent.

Please join me in welcoming her little bumble of joy.

*groan*

Somebody stop me.  (But first give me your best bee pun.)

Posted in: Fun

76 thoughts on “So Did You Hear the One About the Woman Who Gave Birth In a Bumblebee Costume?

1. Cheri C says:

I have never understood women who do this. Seriously, I was so freakin’ miserable with both of my pregnancies that if I didn’t know I was pregnant I would have thought I was dying for sure.
    Lord bee with her – lol.

2. cheri says:

I guess the little worker-bee wanted to buzz on out of the beehive on his own bee-fore she bee-gan to figure it out.
    one more…. the father found out bee-latedly that queen bee was pregnant…

3. Jenny says:

That makes me think of that song… “I got myself a baby bumblebee, won’t my mama be so proud of me?”. πŸ˜€ although I don’t think that is what the song is referring to exactly.
    All of your bee puns were cracking me up!

4. Brandi says:

I have heard of women who had no clue they were pregnant. I seriously can’t grasp that concept. All three times it looked like my scrawny self had stuck a basketball in my shirt.
    I wonder who the pollenator was in this hard to beelieve story??!!

5. Jennifer says:

I hope the newbee isn’t giving her hives. If so she should buzz her honey to help her! If he doesn’t, he’s a stinger and doesn’t belong in her honeycomb.

6. Shanna says:

I used to never believe that anyone could be pregnant without knowing… and then it happened to me. I found out that I was expecting around 5 1/2 months (my periods were always irregular, I was on birth control and I hadn’t started showing b/c I carry all my weight in the middle- TMI, FYI, whatever). Anyways, my son was then born 2 months early so it was a whirlwind pregnancy all the way around! It is actually kinda hard b/c I feel like I missed out on a lot by not knowing about him sooner. Plus I totally missed the chance to rock the whole pregnant thing; maternity clothes, reading all the books, gradually acquiring baby stuff… It was all so hectic and overwhelming. By the time I had gotten used to the idea of being pregnant I had to get used to the idea of having a baby, it all just happened so fast. I am looking forward to planning ahead next time and for my husband and I to really get to enjoy the nine months. But that is just our story, I wish her all the best. Eventually we all figure it out, no matter what the circumstances!

7. Jane says:

You’re having way too much fun with this!
    On the story – I can’t fathom it. I guess it is possible – my sister worked on the maternity ward and knew a woman who gave birth to a 4 1/2 pound babe without knowing she was pregnant – she just thought she was gaining weight and was doing her best to diet it off.

8. Dawn says:

Oh to be pregnant and not realize it!! I’m ALL too aware of it the minute I’m pregnant. I truly dream of being pregnant and not even realizing it. :0)
    May the force BEE with her

9. Valerie says:

Wow. I am always amazed when I hear stories of women not realizing they are preggo. I am too amazed and sleepy to come up with any bee puns right now. Just taking it all in. LOL

10. Annie says:

I knew I was prego about a week in. I couldn’t stop throwing up…this finally ended about 10 minutes after I gave birth. I would have loved to not “feel” pregnant, but at least I had some time to prepare!

11. Becky says:

Bee wary of door to door salesmen selling beecoming costumes. Maybe wearing it took the sting out of the delivery? ; )
    Just want to say I really enjoy your blog. I am addicted…have to see everyday what you say. I live in Hamburg, Germany and sometimes miss strange things…like drinking Hershey syrup, messy living rooms etc. Here all must be in “ordnung” …that means tidy. But with my little boy I try to be as messy as possible. That’s the buzzzzz in Hamburg town.

12. JEANNE says:

Wow, that IS un-bee-lievable πŸ˜‰ With both of my pregnancies I knew within DAYS of conception that I was pregnant. You know, gagging on certain foods, being unusually moody, etc. etc. I just can’t imagine not knowing!!

13. Lorraine says:

Ok… the bee costume had me wondering. Article says it was part of her friend’s “hen night” near as I can figure, that’s like a bachelorette party.
    But yea, I would have trouble bee-lieving she didn’t know, ‘cept I know someone who was totally clueless until a neighbor had the balls to tell her, “honey, you look knocked up.” She thought about it a bit, and got tested, and sure enough. A new ba-bee came along about 3 months later.

14. ~Mad says:

I imagine that little worker came out and said to his mother, “Boo! Bee”.
    I don’t even want to clain this pun…

15. kari says:

thank you for a lovely morning chuckle…no pictures?? I’ve always been curious, how can someone possibly NOT know they are pregnant??? Doesn’t she know about the birds and bees?

16. Carrie says:

I’m sure that created quite the buzz around town! Chantelle’s comment about the grasshopper made me laugh out loud though, that’s perfect!

17. The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino says:

HONEY, this is the QUEEN of funny posts! I laughed so hard I broke out in HIVES.
    I’m going through my brain with a fine-toothed COMB to come up with more puns for you.
    Not being one to DANCE around an awkward subject, I have to comment that there was no mention of a father in the story. I wonder if it was her boyfriend who NECKED ‘ER. It will be a-POLLEN if the child doesn’t have a father. Then again, that’s none of my BEESWAX.
    I’m surprised I didn’t hear of this story before. You’d think the media would SWARM on a story like this like a COLONY of fire ants. It sure has created a lot of BUZZ with your posting about it.
    Sorry to DRONE on and on and BUMBLE through this comment!

18. Liz (Discovering Liz) says:

Yeah, I want to know why she was wearing the costume, too. I’ve heard of women not knowing they were pregnant, so that’s not such an odd thing to me. It’s VERY odd that she was wearing the costume while out about town…in public…not at Halloween. Very weird!

19. MrsNehemiah says:

I hate to be one to drone on with a theme but I to can’t bee lieve someone could bee pregnant without knowing it. she was visiting the pubs so perhaps she was a little buzzed. two pounds is amazing! & 26 weeks, what a miracle!
    Mrs N

20. Annabelle says:

I don’t know how she couldn’t have known, however I do know of 2 people personally who didn’t know they were pregnant, so I guess it’s possible.
    I bet he’s a BEE-utiful baby!

21. lynn says:

I guess she’ll be bringing home a baby bumble bee… won’t her mommy be so proud of her πŸ™‚

22. kimberly says:

A woman doesn’t notice a single change in her body over the course of 40 weeks? How can it BEE? I’m sorry, all the good ones have been used up. Is there any health concern for the new little HONEY? If she was BUZZING around the pubs and clubs all during her pregnancy and also didn’t have any BEE-natal care? We all know this story wouldn’t BEE nearly as funny without the tidbit about the costume. Which is rather irrelevant, but it just makes the story.

23. Beck says:

SOMEONE I KNOW did not know she was pregnant and gave birth on her bathroom rug. She called her mom – hysterically -to phone an ambulance and her mom slammed the phone down on her… because it also was April Fool’s Day.
    (everything worked out fine!)

24. Leanne from Canada says:

Where would we bee without your daily humour….it sure takes the sting out of our week…this one is creating quite the buzz…our hospital just had an unknowing teen give birth-quite the surprise for her parents!!…let’s pray that our children all beehave!!

25. Jennifer L. says:

I don’t believe this is what God was referring to when He described a land “flowing with milk and honey.”

26. TRS says:

Hee hee.
    One of my still single cousins (we’re a big Catholic family) declared that she didn’t know she was pregnant until at least half way through the pregnancy. As if that excuses it! Oh, well – if you didn’t KNOW you pregnant… you probably didn’t KNOW you were having sex either then… so it’s all okay.
    Of course we all gave her a pass… whatever.
    Until she was pregnant the second time and claimed she didn’t know until half way through again.
    One of my other cousins declared, “Yeah. Um. I’m gonna hafta throw down the BS flag on that one!”
    Before anyone gets offended… it’s not like the family didn’t accept her kids or anything… we’re just joking about the “Oh I’m ignorant so you can’t hold me responsible” end of things. Funny to us.

27. Erin says:

I have never been pregnant (we adopted our daughter) but how do you NOT know you are pregnant???

28. Mandi says:

lol, this post just made me giggle! I agree that it’s un-bee-lievable, but I’ve heard that story (not knowing you’re preggo) all too often. Crazy! I too want to know what Mr. Honey had to say about all this πŸ˜‰

29. Elaine says:

Can I also just say that if you were to turn this into a contest that the comment 3 above mine should totally win! You know the one… “well I’ll bee…”

30. Amy says:

I’m cracking up- and wishing I was as witty as you and all these other comment leavers- seriously funny. And the comment count on your amazing giveaway is unbelievably incredibly high- holy smokes!

31. miriam says:

Is the wierdest thing that she gave birth unprepared or that she was clubbing dressed as. a. bee.? I can’t decide… guess some people will do anything for a buzz.

32. Dorey says:

s”warm” wishes for the new ba”bee” but “honey” I find it very intere”sting” and un”bee”lievable that you didn’t “hive” any idea that you were expect”sting” (ok… that last one was pushing it and can you tell that I’m bored?) lol.

33. zoe says:

She was wearing a bee costume because she was in Blackpool for her friend’s hen party (Bachelorette party) Blackpool is a seaside town, lots of nightclubs, etc and well known for hen parties and stag nights.

34. jessica @pianomomsicle says:

Sometimes i wish i were a person who couldn’t tell they were pregnant. i wish the human gestational time were shorter….like 4 months shorter. A 5 1/2 month pregnancy would suit me far better. (Can you tell i’m about 5 months pregnant as i write this lol?)
    Anyway, it would have been a huge shock to the woman, and i hope she didn’t drink a lot or do too much bad stuff during the pregnancy, but if you’re going to have a baby, might as well have it and be done with it like she did!
    i also loved the bee puns.:)

35. TracyB says:

Okay so I had to read the original article, and then find out what a “hen night” is, but that still doesn’t explain why she was in a bee costume.
    Bee warned-it could happen to you!

36. TracyB says:

Bee warned-it could happen to you!