If We Just Had Some Blue Eye Shadow, It Would Feel Like 1988

I am just worn out from all the laughing.

My sweet friend from high school, The Queen B, made the two-hour drive to visit me today.  Though we’ve stayed in touch via e-mail and phone, we haven’t had a face-to-face conversation in years.

I was reminded of something today, something it’s easy to forget in the busy-ness of life that keeps us focused on the here and now:  there is nothing like an old friend.

(And I mean, of course, "old" as in "long-time" , not "old" as in "aged".  Because if B is aged, I am aged, and that will never do.)

It’s a happy thing to sit down and laugh and reminisce with someone who knew you when your hair was big and your music was loud.  And there’s nothing like talking about the challenges of motherhood and rising gas prices with the same person who held your hand when you cried over a jerk-ish high school football player.

We laughed and talked downstairs today while her daughter and my sons listened to The Jonas Brothers (too loudly) upstairs.

It just felt right.

37 thoughts on “If We Just Had Some Blue Eye Shadow, It Would Feel Like 1988

1. Michelle says:

I am sincerely jealous! I hope the two of you had a wonderful time together. You both have way to many stories on each other. It’s great to have friends like that…in fact there is a certain friend who I got a card from today that I miss a whole bunch! Oh I wish we could go get some cheese fries from Muley’s πŸ™‚
    (I miss those days).

2. Rebecca says:

Ah… I’m glad you had a nice visit.
    And thanks for telling us about B a few months ago. I read her blog almost every day. πŸ™‚

3. Starr says:

Those friendships that last are such a blessing. I had the opportunity to go see my high school best friend who now lives in Japan on her 30th birthday this year. PRICELESS.

4. Pam says:

When I was 4 years old my mom went to work full-time…it was pretty rare in 1952. The lady who babysat for me had a daughter who was 2 years older. We have been best friends ever since….56 years…..We have lunch almost every week and spend the day together….I will be 60 in October and she is 62….we have survivied marriage, divorce, remarrriage, births, deaths, laughter and tears….what a blessing she is to me…..

5. PJ says:

I am in my 60s and I feel this way when I manage to get together with “old” high school and college friends. So know that the fun will not go away in another 10, 20, 30 , 40 years.!

6. kari says:

ahhh…a day with your kindred spirit. I am craving one of those desperately. My dear one finished college this week as a mother of three and wife, and I am soooo proud of her and ready for a looooong visit.

7. Tiffany says:

I read Queen B too and I didn’t even know you knew each other:) I know what you mean about “old” friends. “Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver, the other gold” is oh so true!

8. Beth says:

Aww! Sometimes I wish I was still friends with my big-hair-days friends. Then I remember what brats most of them turned out to be, and I get over it. πŸ™‚
    I’m glad yours is still a keeper!!

9. CindyO. says:

I also have ONE friend like that. Luckily we live in the same town so we see each other at least weekly!!
    Ain’t life grand?

10. Carla says:

I know I am only 16 but I kind of know what you mean by “nothing better than an old friend”.
    I have moved to different cities a couple of times but still am able to keep in touch with my “old” friends. And whenever we get the rare chance to visit, it just feels so great. Because they were the friends that I GREW UP with when I was like 8-14 years old.

11. tracey says:

Those are the best kinds of friends. Glad you’ve been able to hold onto her.
    Dang kids and their loud music these days… punks.

12. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda Been Worse) says:

I’m blessed to have a couple of friends like that. One in particular. We’ve been friends going on 25 years now. We cannot talk on the phone without reminiscing about having to climb through the window of my little gold CRX, to go on our frequent roadtrips. While stopping at every fast food restaurant between San Antonio and Austin.
    I think I’ll give her a call.

13. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Old friends are the best. You don’t have to explain anything.
    I can see what both of you see in each other.
    (Does that even make sense? Or do I need to go to bed now? Oy.)

14. Pat Layton says:

Do you remember the old Girl Scout song..
    “Make new friends but keep the old
    one is silver and the other gold”
    Just the fact that they keep coming back makes them priceless don’t you think?!

15. Beverly says:

It’s great to have friends like that. I have one and we have known each other since 6th grade. (over 25 years) Wow are we getting older! I love it when we get together. It is so much fun taking a trip down memory lane with her.

16. Beachy Mimi says:

I’m so glad you and B got to spend time together–especially your kids. I think that is so great. Ya’ll have had many great times together.

17. Edi says:

I know what you mean…some “old” friends it doesn’t matter how long between face to face chats or even between emails/letters…once you are together you pick up where you left off. I have a dear friend like that…known her since I was 14…then I ended up marrying her cousin.

18. Laura says:

I loved this! Late last night I posted old school pictures – with big hair and preppy clothes…. I sorta miss those big hair days!

19. Trish says:

You are absolutely right–there is nothing like long-time friendships. I just returned last week from a visit with two of my “sisters-of-the-heart” and we had way too much fun. We met as military wives over 20 years ago. I call these women my “angels with skin on.” They are two people outside my family who know me well and still love me!

20. Kristin says:

I want to also thank you, Shannon, for letting us all in on the Queen B blog. I have been reading it ever since.
    I love a good friends visit – glad it was so good for the soul. πŸ™‚
    Have a great day!