It’s Always the Shoes, Isn’t It?

With two blogging conferences in the next three weeks, it was time to do a little shopping, unless I wanted to wear three-year-old yoga pants.  Especially since (and here’s where I slip this in casually in an attempt to remain cool and not do a happy dance) I have lost almost 20 pounds in the last couple of months (story later).  I don’t think it would’ve made a good impression if, in the middle of my presentation, my pants fell down to my ankles.

I’ve found some very cute stuff.  But only one item is cute enough to warrant its own blog post.

I was walking through a very expensive shoe store Payless, when these shoes spoke to me.  They said, "I am cute.  Take me home."

Shoes1

They also said, "I am on sale for $12."

(As you look at them, let us pretend that my toenails are painted.  And let us also pretend that I cut the price tag off.  Or I could leave it on and become the Minnie Pearl of the blogging conference circuit.)

The BEST part, though, is the very funky heel.  I LOVE it:

Shoes2

They’re part wedge, part regular heel.  Which means I might actually be able to walk in them.

But my husband took one look at them and said the heel looks like a nail gun.

A nail gun?

He demonstrates:

100_2729

I love this man, but I don’t generally take fashion advice from someone who still has a shirt from 1992 hanging in his closet.

I wore them around all weekend, hoping they (please-oh-please) might become comfortable.  Every time I walked my past my man, I heard him do his best impression of a nail gun: "ca-CHUNK!"

Thank you, my dear.  Nothing instills confidence in a girl like feeling she has power tools strapped to her feet.

108 thoughts on “It’s Always the Shoes, Isn’t It?

1. AmyDe says:

You’re right – “I am cute. Take me home.” Right now all my shoes are saying “I’m ugly! Throw me away!” Maybe I should hit payless? Thanks for sharing.

2. Liz C. says:

You know, equating your footwear with power tools may be his Man Way of saying he thinks they’re cute, too.

3. The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino says:

Your hubby sounds exactly like mine! He’s a teaser, too.
    I wish I could wear staple guns, I mean, heels. I ruined my feet during a waitressing stint at Chi-Chi’s. I had to buy some foot supports just to be able to walk. Ever since I bought said supports, I have received offers galore from The Scooter Store, AARP and some place that offers arthritis cures.

4. Alyssa says:

Oh woman, you just go right ahead and sport those all over SHe Speaks. I’ll be wearing my FLAT sandals, yes I say FLAT because I’m 36 weeks preggo. If I wore those things for 5 min it’d put me into labor. πŸ™‚ See you there!

5. Teri says:

Love the shoes. I decided when I turned 40 that I was going for comfort. Have you ever noticed that ugly shoes are always comfortable? I do look for cute shoes. I really do but if it means my feet hurt? Forget about it.

6. hm says:

I love them!
    I saw one toe painted so we totally can pretend your toes are painted.
    Now that you say they look like a nailgun I see it, but just tell him you are being efficient, something might break at the conference and you will be there with backup.

7. Beth (A Mom's Life) says:

“Or I could leave it on and become the Minnie Pearl of the blogging conference circuit.”
    I love it! That could totally be your schtick! And the great thing about that is after you wear the shoes a couple of times, you could take them back because the price tag is still on them!

8. Robin (the pensieve one) says:

a) Ooooooh, yes, ma’am! They are S.A.S.S.Y.!
    b) I first read your weight lost as 200 POUNDS! And I was like, HUH?????
    c) Ditto Veronica :).
    Can’t wait to see your feet, your skinny behind, and your face IN PERSON!
    πŸ™‚

9. Chatty Kelly says:

I love them. I want them. I would not wear them to she speaks where you feet might hurt. (I’m a nerd that way.) I am wearing flats all 3 days. I told Lysa I will be the one going “Clomp, clomp clomp” instead of heels going “click, click, click” But my feet won’t hurt. So look for the nerd – it’s me.

10. tracey says:

Men are such spoilsports. If YOU love them, wear them. and , if you get nervous? You can always remember that you have powerful shoes on…

11. Sandra ~ My Inspired Heart says:

Great job on the weight loss! I, too, have been hard at the weight loss….34 lbs in 3 months…it feels great doesn’t it! Also…..I love the heels! And, doesn’t it figure….the best looking shoes are always the hardest to wear!

12. We are THAT family says:

I think it’s so nice to buy shoes that makes your husband think about working. That would have been a great WFMW tip! I’m so going to try it!
    20 lbs? How’d you do it????

13. hogphan says:

One way you can tell they’re stylish and you ought to wear them is that I think they may be the ugliest things I’ve ever seen. I thought we raised you to have better judgement than that! πŸ™‚ Dad

14. Tara says:

Sorry, after the nail gun picture it would be all I could think about. In fact, I hope nobody I know buys those shoes even though they’re kinda’ cute. I would “ka-CHUNK” every time I saw them, even if only in my head. πŸ™‚

15. Scratchin' the Surface says:

I’m with Chatty – save them for two hour stints out to dinner, and wear something that will feel wonderful on your feet. Or at least pack the ‘feels wonderful’ just in case you have to switch. They are cute though.

16. shana says:

OK, I love the shoes, but I’m ready for your weight loss post.
    I’m currently on a mission to lose 15. I’ve lost 6, but seem to be stuck…..I need some inspiration.
    Congrats on a good shoe find (that’ll due a lady good for the better part of a week) and on the weight loss (that’ll due a lady good for the better part of a decade).
    Shana

17. Adventures In Babywearing says:

OK, I am loving the shoes. Especially the $12 part AND the heel. I think I’m bringing at least five pair of shoes to Blogher. A preggy has to accessorize. Hope they all fit in my luggage…
    Steph

18. Carla says:

Oh I really love those shoes! They are rather unique but quite something special =)
    Although, they do look hard to walk in?

19. genny says:

Those shoes are great! You had me cracking up at the power tool thing…thanks for the laugh. And, I don’t think they look like staple guns at all!

20. Fuschia says:

First of all…20 lbs? Seriously? GO YOU!!!
    Secondly, the shoes are fabulous! Who cares that they may vey well make the balls of your feet numb, your little pinky toes scream in pain, and your lower back remind you of the terror that is back labor (oh, wait, that’s what they’d do to ME)! Wear them in good fashion and foot health πŸ™‚

21. Carol says:

Back in the day when wooden soled shoes were popular and I was young with no tools I used my shoe as a hammer many times. It is that full circle thing.

22. Colon Cleanse says:

in the middle of my presentation, my pants fell down to my ankles – you writes funny. So, you have always look out on updated fashion. Am just want to look into the power tools.
    thanks

23. Julia says:

I love those shoes! Don’t listen to your husband. Men think if they make fun of our purchases, we’ll shop less. Pffft.

24. Shalee says:

Oh, they’re mighty cute. And way to go on the weight loss, Shannon! That just rocks!
    You are going to be one skinny minnie at the conference!

25. lovedandamazed says:

Too funny about the shoes looking like a nail gun. Good job on the weight loss! I’m looking forward to the story.

26. Molly says:

Maybe your man was trying to GIVE you more confidence…b/c don’t men just go a bit crazy, I mean, have more confidence, when they are using their precious power tools? Maybe he’s really just saying you are a powerful, confident woman in those heels! You go, girl! πŸ™‚

27. Tracy says:

Honey, it’s ALWAYS about the shoes, and those shoes, my dear, are to DIE for. I LOVE them. Actually, I am now off to payless to find a pair for myself, even though I just sprained my ankle in a pair of four inch heels 2 days ago (it’s NOT the shoes’ fault, after all!).

28. Laurie Ann says:

I love the shoes! They are adorable. You could be Minnie Pearl with the price tag hanging on, LOL. I chuckled when I read and saw the “nail gun” visual. Too funny! Yeah, no. Men just don’t get our need for cute shoes, do they…?

29. Vicki Arnold says:

“If I wore power tools on my feet my husband would think that was so sexy.”
    Oh, yep, that’s my hubby, too. Leave it to a man to find a power tool in great shoes, lol.

30. Nicole@ApronStringsAflutter says:

LOL! That is so funny. Leave it to a man to see a power tool in almost anything. I think they’re cute.
    I just registered for BlogHer…so excited. Hope to hear you speak! Is it in one of the sessions?
    I’ll be looking for the lady with the cute nail guns. πŸ˜‰

31. Lara says:

I’ll be watching for those shoes later this week! As for me , I’ll be wearing something sensible probably. No particularly fun shoes like those in this gal’s wardrobe.

32. ter says:

Have you ever used a nailgun? It really does make you feel powerful! And therefore, you are powerful for having shoes that look like nailguns. πŸ™‚

33. Joanne says:

Well I love them, even if they ca-chunk when around your hubby. He’s a funny man…must get it from his cute, shoe-wearing, THIN wife.

34. CarolinaMama says:

Love them. Love the whole analogy with your husband. What a riot! Mountain Man would most likely agree! The conferences are going to be great. Blessings to you and as you learn, enjoy, laugh, etc.

35. MooBeeMa says:

I can always tell by the high octane odor in Payless Shoes that the plastic shoes are gonna kill my feet. So why do I buy them anyway??

36. Tracy says:

Cute! And didn’t we call shoes that are part wedge, part regular heel yo-yos in the third grade?

37. Jen says:

Yes, but do they FEEL like you have powertools strapped to your feet??? This, of course, makes all the difference. πŸ™‚

38. Melanie says:

Cute. And I am glad you are buying some new clothes. You wouldn’t be able to see the cute shoes with your pants around your ankles. :>)

39. Jennifer (Et Tu?) says:

>> (story later)
    Oh, no hurry with that. I’ll just be sitting here at my computer frantically hitting Refresh until you have a moment to share your secret.
    Also, how nice that shoes in stores say to you, “I am cute. Take me home.”
    When I walk by they say, “I am cute…on the display model. But in your size I would look freakish clown shoes and nothing at all like the version you see here. Not that I’d come in size 11 narrow anyway. Perhaps there’s a local boutique that caters to Sasquatches that you could try?”
    Anyway, love your shoes. πŸ™‚ Have a blast at the conferences!

40. Cheri C says:

That’s okay. Just last week my husband said, “You look like Jack Black in the face.” WHAT THE?? No one tells their wife that and expects to live. I asked him to carefully clarify and he said when I made a certain face I looked like that. Okay, I don’t mind it if I look like Jack Black when I’m imitating a certain person in my life and making a crazy face. Whew. He chose his words very carefully for the rest of the day!!!!

41. Amanda says:

Congrats on the weight loss! I know you’ve been waiting to say something until that milestone. Way to go!!
    I love the shoes (but I do have to agree with your husband ever so slightly). Hey, at least he noticed the new shoes, right? That’s something.

42. Stephanie says:

For the record, I think the shoes are cute (although your husband’s comment did make me smile). But the real question is…are they comfortable? πŸ™‚
    I’m also going to do a bit of shopping on Friday for BlogHer. Can’t wait to meet you!

43. Superchikk says:

I think they’re adorable, but would probably not have the guts to buy them for myself. I’m a bit conservative that way.
    I’m the kind that needs a friend over my shoulder saying “Yes, you need to buy that!”

44. dcrmom says:

Excellent! And when I SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND, I am going to look for your fab new shoes!
    Did I mention I’m going to see you this weekend?? ;0)

45. crystal says:

They are cute! Was your weight loss due to getting your thyroid in order? That’s the first thing I thought when you blogged about your thyroid–that now you could lose some weight! Good job on the 20 lbs!!

46. GiBee says:

1. those are ridiculously adorable.
    2. those are ridiculously affordable.
    3. now I know where this lady at work got them, and I don’t have to be tacky and ask.
    4. you are simply adorable.

47. Kevin Grossman says:

Well, I’m a little more fashion-aware for a man, but it still looks like a nail gun. A very vogue nail gun, by the way. Okay, I have shirts from 1988. Don’t tell my wife.