Hey Look! A Recipe!

You know how there are all those blogs out there that post gorgeous, mouth-watering recipes, and there are photographs of the ingredients all symmetrically arranged on the counter in which the lighting is just perfect and you just swear you can actually hear a pot bubbling cheerfully on the stove?

Yes, well, this is not one of those blogs.

If you ever see a recipe posted at this blog, you can be sure that it has been posted because:

A)  It is cheap.
B)  The ingredients are easy to find,
C) and there aren’t too many of them.
D)  And this recipe will get you out of the kitchen as quickly as possible.

Those are the only kinds of recipes I use.

Ever.

Actually, one time I took a dish to a potluck, and it contained dill weed.  I was pretty proud of that.  Dill weed is an exotic ingredient, by my standards.

Anyway, back to the recipe.  I think I found it in a magazine, and I fixed it for my family last week–it was a hit.

BRUSCHETTA CHICKEN BAKE

Ingredients:
1 19 ounce can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing Mix for chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic powder, because minced garlic cloves?  Exotic!)
1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bit-sized pieces
1 tsp dried basil leaves
2 cups Mozzarella shredded cheese, separated

PREHEAT oven to 400.  Place tomatoes in medium bowl.  Add stuffing mix and garlic.  Stir until moistened.

PLACE chicken pieces in greased 13×9 baking dish.  Sprinkle w/ basil and 1 cup cheese.  Top with stuffing mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

Serves 8.

74 thoughts on “Hey Look! A Recipe!

1. Jenny in Ca says:

your requirements for a recipe sound very much like mine…
    that and my family seldom appreciate new recipes I try, I usually end up saying, “why do I even bother?” as hubby pours salsa all over whatever dish I slaved over. I pretty much end up rotating through the same 7 or 8 dishes they actually like.
    this one might be a possible winner, it’s simple…very, very important to me…
    thanks for sharing.

2. Erin says:

Oooh, this sounds like a good one! I get so depressed when I read other blogs and hear how yummy the recipe is and then see that it has 18 steps with 42 ingredients. I will definitely have to try this one!

3. Memarie Lane says:

You got me all excited, but then I saw the recipe. Chicken and tomatoes just don’t mesh in my palate. Love them separately, but together I just can’t do. 😦

4. Heather says:

Hey those are all my requirements, too, unless it’s for a special occasion. Although I just might die without my garlic cloves. Vampires abound in the deep South, at least in Anne Rice’s imagination.
    Aside from that, garlic powder hates humidity and gets all clumpy around here. It’s faster for me to smash and chop than to beat the bottle on the counter long enough to break off a chunk and smash that into a measurable powder.

5. Queen B says:

Thanks for the recipe. I saw that in a magazine and saved it, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ll have to add that to next week’s menu!

6. Marissa says:

I’m the same way with recipes–don’t even know what half the ingredients are in most of my cookbooks! I love this recipe, too, and I don’t even like tomatoes. We must read the same magazine with the simple ingredient list! I had forgotten about it, so thanks for bringing it back into my life.

7. kellie says:

Yes! I found this recipe a couple of years ago onw of those free cooking magazines. it IS delicious, cheap and easy.
    I make it for when I take dinner to a new Mom. Add a bag of lettuce and some thing sinfully chocolate for dessert and you’ve got a meal!

8. Tara says:

Sounds yummy. I once thought minced garlic was exotic. Then I found a little jar of it in the produce section at walmart. For pretty cheap. And it lasts FOREVER in the fridge. I even toss a teaspoon of it in other exotic dishes like canned spaghetti sauce! πŸ™‚

9. Jennifer says:

I cannot wait to make this. We love baked chicken recipes. I’m with ya on the garlic cloves; when I see that in a recipe, forget it.

10. Chelsey says:

I like to post recipes on my blog as often as I can, but I know I’ll never be in the ranks of those other recipe blogs because I always forget to take pictures.

11. Elizabeth says:

I made that when I saw it in a Kraft F&F Magazine, and my family liked it as well. The leftovers are better heated in the oven than in the microwave (less soggy), but like many other dishes, are better than the original dinner. I’ve made it with pasta and with rice, and added sliced fresh mushrooms and onions for more flavor (and so that I didn’t have to make an additional vegetable).

12. Org Junkie says:

Okay that’s too funny I posted a recipe today too without pictures. LOL, great minds think alike. I’ve made this one before and it was great.
    Laura

13. Christy says:

Here’s my Mantra:
    Cheap is good,
    Fast is better,
    Fresh Garlic is Best.
    If everything else comes from a can or box, I try to throw a little fresh “herbage” in to make it a little brighter. You can’t beat fresh garlic, imo.

14. Shalee says:

Well, we do get fancy at our place, but that sounds new and delish. (You could totally make the new recipe at Pioneer Woman’s place – Linguine w/Chicken Thighs or Breast. You could feel like you’re at a real I-Taalyun restaurant and everything!)

15. Robyn says:

My exotic garlic subsitute is little frozen chopped garlic squares that I get from Trader Joes. Use them in everything.

16. Jackie Sue says:

Shannon, My fam likes this recipe too. It was out of a Kraft magazine that comes once a quarter. Thanks for being so real. I’m like you…basic, quick and easy does it for me in the kitchen and if someone else cleans up after me I’m really in hog heaven!

17. CousinJ says:

This sounds yummy! I’ve already copied & pasted into a word document and I will be fixing this next week! Thanks!

18. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

I host a “Favorite Ingredients Friday” recipe exchange each week because I need ideas on what to make throughout the week.
    The recipes I share tend to be very simple because I don’t like to spend a lot of time in my kitchen.
    And my readers are lucky to get ONE picture posted with the recipe. My kitchen lighting isn’t so good. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. We’ll try it in our household.

19. Superchikk says:

I’ve made this before and my non-Italian-food husband loved it. We make tons of stuff from the Kraft Food & Family magazine and love them all. In fact, I made one for dinner last night from the summer issue!
    Oh girl, don’t mince your own garlic! Buy it in a jar at the produce section, then just spoon it into the recipe! It’s the BEST way!

20. Susanne says:

Great minds think alike. I posted this last week. The family really likes it and it definitely does meet all those requirements.

21. tracey says:

You know what tip I love? I read in the Kraft magazine about using my muffin tins for making meat loafs and other casseroles. IT IS AWESOME. They come out all cute and portion sized, and cook at least half as long.
    Seriously. Try it.

22. Chelle' says:

Shannon- very rarely do I actually try a recipe… usually- as you’ve noted, there is at least one ingredient that, to me, is not a house hold item… and I surely can’t be expected to hunt such a thing down in a store so I stick to the same old food I always cook…
    BUT this… this is indeed easy. And I recognized EVERY item listed in the ingredient section.
    I will be making this for sure. Thanks for the heads up.. particularly when I know you are in the final moments of blogdom before the storm. (Or conferences… whatever you want to call it. :0)
    Hugs- and praying for you over the next several days.

23. Richelle says:

Sounds yummy – in my world,I’ll have to make modifications (nothing is cheap or easy in W. Africa), but it sounds like a winner. May even try it this weekend. Thanks for a new recipe idea!
    PS If you just practice for a few weeks, mincing garlic becomes like second nature and then you can enjoy the lovely smell on your fingers for the next several days! SMILE!

24. Terri says:

If mincing garlic cloves is intimidating, buy a good garlic press (e.g. Pampered Chef). Your taste buds will thank you!

25. SaraG says:

Thanks so much for this – didn’t know what to feed visiting family… served this and it was a big hit! Lifesaver! Thanks.

26. Mary says:

A microplane works wonders with a clove of garlic. I use the end piece to hold on and grate it into the dish. Just make sure you keep it in the back of the drawer away from little fingers or buy the kind with the little box that will slide back and forth. Love it.

27. Lucy says:

I actually have that on my menu for this week, too! I’m glad to hear you like it. I get lots of recipes from that magazine. πŸ™‚

28. cyn says:

I actually had all the ingredients on hand so I made this tonight. The husband thought it was great. The five year old told me it was the best chicken ever. Thanks.

29. Hallie says:

I have made that Kraft recipe many times before. I think you always need more cheese than they suggest. Oh if you don’t want to get the exotic garlic bulbs you can buy it is a jar minced. We do that since we use garlic so often.

30. kristal says:

this is one of our favorite recipes! my husband actually asked me to stop making it because he was eating almost the entire pan by himself! truly is very easy and tastes gourmet!

31. Mary says:

Made your recipe last night – yummm! Have a question though. When I was at the grocery store, I only found 14.5 ounce or 28 ounce cans of tomatoes. There was a slightly different version of the recipe on the box of stuffing, so I went with that. Anyway, it was great. Thanks for sharing.

32. Anne says:

Recipes with a thousand ingredients have been dropped from the Bearhug Family’s menus. I just don’t have the time the patience or the inclination any more. Have to give this one a try if I can find the stuffing mix here.

33. tonyia says:

so, i love fresh garlic, but i hate smelling it all the next day (on my hands) so i buy the little jars of “minced garlic” from the grocery store. they are “easy-peasy” i can assure you. one small jar last a long long time, and it really makes a difference to the food. just thought i’d share. and thanks for the recipe!!!

34. Marlene says:

Oh I have to try this one. I think Stove top is the secret ingredient because it contains so many other ingredients. So I am sharing with you two recipes that are big hits in my house. They are a breeze to prepare and my sweetie loves them.
    Easy Breezy “Stuffed” Pork Chops
    3 or 4 medium thickness boneless pork chops
    One box prepared Stove Top for Pork stuffing
    One can apple pie filling
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a skillet with cooking spray, brown pork chops on both sides.
    Spread apple pie filling on bottom of 13×9 baking pan.
    Spread prepared stuffing over pie filling.
    Place pork chops on top.
    Cover with foil.
    Cook for 45 minutes or until pork chops are cooked through.
    Enjoy!
    Pork chops can be substituted with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (In this case, use Stove Top for Chicken.) Apple pie filling can be substituted with whole cranberry sauce.
    ——————————————–
    Sweet Citrus Chicken
    1-2/3 cups hot water
    1 box (6 oz) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
    6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs), pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
    2/3 cup orange juice
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
    Preheat oven to 400Β°F. Add hot water to stuffing mix; stir just until moistened. Set aside.
    Place chicken in 13×9-inch baking dish. Mix juice, sugar and butter until well blended; pour over chicken. Top with prepared stuffing.
    Bake 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through (170ΒΊF).

35. Nikki says:

Just tried this recipe – it was great b/c it was last-minute and I had everything on hand already (except I substitued Italian-seasoned bread crumbs for the Stove Top Stuffing), I used tomatoes that already had the seasoning (oregano, etc.). Hubby loved it and my very picky 4 year old son loved it. Thanks – this one’s a keeper. Hope you had a great time this weekend!

36. Robin says:

Am trying it tonight with a few changes…will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the recipe!!
    Robin