My Weekend, In Stream-of-Consciousness Format, Because I Am Tired

I went to SheSpeaks in North Carolina and officially confirmed my suspicion that writing a real, live book with real, live pages that you actually turn with your real, live hands is a very overwhelming proposition.  It makes blogging seem more lovely than ever.

You know what is not lovely?  Pulling a business card out of your purse to present to someone and finding that there is a raisin stuck to it.

Sophie, Melanie and I taught three sessions on blogging, and it went well, even though I would still rather barbecue my big toe than speak to a crowd.  Here is photographic proof of my public speaking endeavor:

Conferencepanel

That’s me on the right.  Evidently I have a mullet.

On the last evening, we slipped away for a dinner with other bloggers, and we did a little window shopping.  I tried on a pair of $500 Jimmy Choos, just for grins.

Conferenceshoe

$500??  That’s a lot of Compassion kids. And the shoes weren’t anything special.  Flee, girls, flee, and hie thee to Payless.

Speaking of which, the nail gun shoes were less than satisfactory.  I made the mistake of wearing them–for the first time–on a day that I would be standing for a one-hour presentation.  Oh, there were blisters and pain.  But oh, they were cute.  And not a soul made "ca-CHUNK" nail gun noises at me, for which I was ever grateful.

I met some absolutely lovely blogging ladies, including some ladies I’d been reading for a long time.  FiddleDeeDee is just as cute in person as I knew she’d be, Robin of Pensieve is a hoot (and she brought me some Red Diamond iced tea bags, so she has bought my loyalty for all eternity).  Missy of It’s Almost Naptime is my smart and funny Presbyterian sistah, Jo-Lynne of Musings has an infectious laugh, and sweet Annie is a dynamic young 20-something that will–y’all mark my words–do big things.

I shouldn’t have started listing everybody, because they were all so great.  You can see links to more of the bloggers in attendance here (thanks to Lisa for putting this together).

You know what happens when bloggers get together?  We sit together at a table, pull out our laptops, and read to each other from our Bloglines accounts, pausing only to snap a picture, which we will immediately post on our blogs (Tina, why weren’t you in this picture?):

Conferencegroup

Good times.

Tomorrow I’ll post a summary of what we discussed in our blogging sessions.

(Photos courtesy of Dawn at Barefoot Blog Design, since my camera spent the weekend on my kitchen counter back at home.)

55 thoughts on “My Weekend, In Stream-of-Consciousness Format, Because I Am Tired

1. Sarah (Genesis Moments) says:

You three rocked the house! Everything was great but your authentic, down-to-earth personalities made you three even more lovable. From one Presbyterian to another, you inspired me more than you know!
    God Bless.

2. rebekah says:

Well, the nail gun shoes are cute but just look how sexy your foot looks in the Jimmy Choos. You put those pictures side by side and you will see why they have that reputation. Is it worth $500? doubtful, but they are hot.
    Living in Hong Kong, one of the few things I CAN get here in my size is shoes, and oh how tempting the Jimmy Choo store (near the grocery store, odd) is… but I have restrained myself.

3. suburbancorrespondent says:

I don’t see a mullet, either. And you’re right – you can get really cute shoes at Target or Payless, and give the extra money to someone who needs it. We can even give this type of shoe-shopping a name: Compassion Fashion!
    I posted about my inexpensive yet fabulous shoe purchase
    just today. Maybe you should get all your readers to post about inexpensive yet fabulous shoe buys…and link to Compassion. Offer some sort of a prize, maybe, for everyone who participates?

4. Ariel says:

Looks like you had a lot of fun! I liked the $500 pair of shoes but I must agree… Let’s high-tail it to Payless!

5. TheCottonWife says:

Payless and Target are awesome.
    You need to read “Sweetwater” by Anne Rivers Siddons. This very richy-rich family believes in buying the very best clothing but buying shoes at Target.
    I’m just like that. Except I buy my clothes at Target too. πŸ™‚

6. Kristin says:

My camera likes to stay at home on the kitchen counter as well. I can’t wait to read more about the conference. Sounds like you had a great time.

7. Shelly W says:

Those Jimmy Choos are nothing special. I’ll take the nail gun shoes over those any day. But I do want to know . . . were they comfy?
    Thanks for posting, and I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s recap.

8. kari says:

I love that some of us bloggers got to become real to you. This such a lovely hobby. I love your blog by the way.

9. Jenni says:

My business card would NEVER EVER have a raisin stuck to it.
    Milk dud, however…that’s a distinct possibility.
    And the shoes? Yeah, right. I agree they’re nothing special, but girl, your FEET are so CUTE I want to weep!

10. Heather @ Desperately Seeking Sanity says:

I’ve only ever met Lisa B (but I knew her before blogging… actually we met online, but didn’t meet until after I started my blog… and Jo-Lynne because she grew up here and when she came home to visit, we had coffee… and yes, her laugh is infectious… πŸ˜€
    I’m looking forward to BlogHer in oh.my.word. 24 days… πŸ˜€

11. Karen {simply a musing blog} says:

Those. shoes. are. cute. The payless ones, not the Jimmy Choo shoes, which to me, look just a tad like the witch’s shoes from Wizard of Oz.
    Someday, I hope to get myself to a conference…would love to meet you all IRL. πŸ™‚

12. Rachel says:

How cool is that!?! Sounds like you had a blast. Thinking I’d never wear those shoes. I have one perfect pair of sandals from DSW and that’s it. Keeping it simple.

13. Fuschia says:

How FUN!! I’m totally going to have to do some heavy-duty repenting for all the jealousy…shame on me!
    BTW, I don’t see anything mullet-like at all!!

14. Beth @ A Quest for Relevance says:

You ladies were so fun, and FAB-U-LOUS! πŸ™‚
    Even though I now know that I will be hopelessly lost as a blogger because my blog title and URL don’t match πŸ™‚
    Oh well. Que sera sera…(Is that how you spell that?)

15. Jane says:

I think the raisin is bettter than a used QTip! And here’s to Payless – no shoe can be worth quite that much . . .

16. Crystal says:

Man, sounds like a wonderful conference. Leaves me wishing I could have gone. Thanks for a great recap. I am just starting out in this blogging world. Barely over 100 Postsinto it. I have aspirations for it growing. Thanks for being an inspiration and example to all of us blogging mommies. I appreciate that you use your blog as a light in this dark world. Keep it up! (from another PCA sista)

17. Annabelle says:

Sounds like you had a blast! Wish I could have been there…I’m new to this whole scene! Cute shoes…I’m sure there’s got to be a knock off/cheap pair out there like that somewhere!

18. Fiddledeedee says:

Aw shucks. Can I just tell you how much I loved getting to know you better! You, little lady, have the true gift of hospitality. Thank you for including me in the fun. That meant a lot to the wall flower residing in me.
    I think you should have posted a picture of the flip flops. They were ADORABLE. (My feet may never recover from all the abuse.)

19. MommaHint says:

Have enjoyed your blog for a couple months now and just had to comment! $500 for a pair of shoes?!? Sheer madness. That IS a lot of Compassion kids! Just yesterday I picked up a pair of shoes on clearance at Kohl’s that are IDENTICAL to those Jimmy Choo’s…mine set me back a whoppin’ $9.99! Gotta love clearance racks.

20. Rebecca says:

I’m glad you all had such a great time at SheSpeaks. I live in North Carolina, so it was neat to see pictures of you here!

21. tiffany McGuigan says:

It looks like you guys had a great time. I hope you do more question and answer blogs!!!
    Yeah why are those shoes so much money? I have a pair of steve maddens that look just like that and they werent anywhere near that. Crazy!!!!!

22. tiffany McGuigan says:

23. laura says:

Welcome home, Shannon! You guys were awesome…thanks so much for sharing your bloggy wisdom! I have a lot of work to do to shape mine up, now that i’ve had a little help from you all. Or is that y’all?
    I’ll take fried chicken over sarcasm anyday!

24. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

Your mullet illusion was created by my only carrying one lens around with me (which wouldn’t zoom in tight at that distance) and then pointing that big flash at you, thereby creating the mullet “shadow.” It’s only an illusion – I promise! πŸ™‚
    I don’t know about you, but the shoes I tried on really hurt; I couldn’t possibly have worn them for more than 5 minutes.
    It was nice to meet you!

25. Cheryl says:

Thank you for posting this! Feel like I was there vicariously…maybe someday!
    Think you have post in the making re: grossest hanger-on to a business card (or any other from-mama’s-bag extraction!) Have had lollipop sticks from the pediatrician’s office stuck to my wallet…amongst other embarrassables. πŸ™‚
    PS…that is NOT a mullet! Seeing as I live in the former capital of the confederacy (ugh…that fact, not the city)I know my way around a mullet. πŸ˜‰
    Have fun at BlogHer!

26. Linda M says:

Loved your presentations this weekend, Shannon! Thanks so much for all the great info. I’m looking forward to tuning in to “Rocks…” regularly.

27. mariel says:

the shoes are TO DIE FOR!! But, oh my, help me understand WHO pays $500 for SHOES?!
    Praising Jesus the conference went well for all of you!!

28. therapydoc says:

I missed the BlogHer conference in Chicago, a golden opportunity to hang out with people who like to spin words All The Time.
    And yes, books are slaying dragons by comparison.

29. therapydoc says:

And yes, books are slaying dragons by comparison.

30. therapydoc says:

And yes, books are slaying dragons by comparison.

31. therapydoc says:

And yes, books are slaying dragons by comparison.

32. Mindy Pitchford says:

Aw…the ladies in the Q & A session were right…Southern ladies are just funny. Us Northerners are just sarcastic…lol! Thanks for great info this past weekend.
    Blessings πŸ™‚

33. Laura says:

I was all about Payless and Target shoes until I had to wear high heel shoes while walking and standing a lot with my job. Sore feet are worth a lot of money to me, but not $500. I wish there was a happy medium!