Y’all Are the Best Knock-Off Artists EVER

A couple of months ago, I posted about how Jenni and I met up at a local store and saw some adorable (and simple) canvases designed for kids’ rooms.

(And since the entirety of this post is aimed at gently ripping off imitating their idea, let’s just be subtle and call our particular store…um…Shmottery Shmarn.)

Several of you e-mailed me to report that you actually tried out this clever little crafty idea, and I did too.  With the kind permission of the e-mailers in question, I thought I’d show you what amazing things people are up to with their canvases.

Let’s start with mine, because they’re the least good in the batch.  I used super-cheap Wal Mart canvas, painted them, and used decoupage glue (Modge Podge is my favorite) to adhere the designs cut from scrapbook paper:

Canvases2

There were too many ripples in the paper.  When I try this again, I’ll probably try a wallpaper roller to help smooth out the wrinkles.  Because Modge Podge is FOREVER, and once those wrinkles set in, you’re sunk.

Linds of This Abode used an old pair of jeans, fabric and ribbon to do this adorable canvas:

Denim

Amy blogs at Journey to Adoption and Jonathan’s Journey, and she tackled an extremely impressive canvas collage for her nursery:

Tree

Tami of Muddlin’ Thru Motherhood made this canvas as a baby shower gift for a friend:

Flowers2

Tracye of TracyeCakes didn’t mess with the decoupage, she just painted.  And look how great it turned out, customized with the child’s name:

Baseball

Here’s a funky idea by Anne–wouldn’t this be cute in a preteen’s room?

Rockart

Danielle of Mississippi Mama did this little green and blue number:

Fabricsilhouette_greenbirdb

Kate did these beautiful flowers using only Modge Podge (in matte finish) and paper, and she said the entire project cost her only $16:

Flowers

My sister-in-law, who has artistic ability coming out her ears, did these great pieces for my nieces’ room:

Bugs

Kristin of Grace Violet did an entire post on her decoupage adventure–go read the details (and see great pictures) here.

If you try your own version of this project, I’d love to see the results!

66 thoughts on “Y’all Are the Best Knock-Off Artists EVER

1. Yvie says:

They’re so beautiful! I would definitely try this in my own new home. πŸ™‚ *and goes off dreaming her own*

2. Angela says:

Oh! I love them all – I want to go out today and get the materials to try some of these myself… my daughter is ready to change her room. Perfect!

3. Louise says:

Wow. I am once again reminded of how un-artistic I am. Maybe I can talk my artistically-inclined sister-in-law into doing something like this for my daughter in a couple of years? These are all beautiful–look like something you’d see the designers creating on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition!

4. jodi says:

ooh fun! I need to give this a try – we have #2 on the way, so these would be great for a nursery! Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Amy says:

Ooooh, thanks for posting these, Shannon. They look great-lots of great ideas…I may have to try some more, since I found out that it wasn’t that hard! I’m flattered that you included mine, too!

6. robyn says:

I got some family and friends together and we each made an animal face on canvas while I was pregs. Copied the design right off someplace trying to sell for $40 each. Since none of us are artists we used hair dye squeeze bottles. Daughter is now 3 and they still look great. Now off to find a photo somewhere.

7. FishMama says:

What a great idea! I’ve got little bits of “keepsake” fabric that would work really well for this. Thanks for sharing. Maybe Baby #6 will get something cute in her room!

8. nicole says:

Very nice work on all of them. I’m hoping to redo my girls’ room, and the ones you made would match the color scheme perfectly. I will definitely be coming back to this post for inspiration/guidance. Great work!

9. Laura V. says:

Wow! Everyone is so creative. Since I just found out a couple of weeks ago that baby #3 is a girl, I’m going to try my hand at some of these for her room! Thanks for the great inspiration!

10. Robin Forman says:

I am cracking up because I have this same… um…Shmottery Shmarn in my area and have been totally planning to do some canvases for our upcoming little girl’s bedroom. Teehee! Glad to know I am not the only crafty/thrify one around!

11. Fiddledeedee says:

I have been eying those in “that” catalogue for years, thinking, I know I can do that. I started one, but never finished. I bought my canvas at a craft store with a 50% coupon.
    Now, I’m totally inspired to finish it. Thank you.

12. Meg in Tally says:

Would it sound like I’m sucking up if I said I like yours the best? I’m just not quite creative enough to do this myself…but I could probably copy some. They’re all so cute!

13. The Apron Queen says:

You’re a darn genius! These are so awesome! I have some aprons that have a stain or two, but the rest of the fabric is still wonderful. I may have found a new use for the wonderful old vintage fabric.
    For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen

14. GiBee says:

Oh, MY goodness! I especially love the denim one and yours … so cute.
    I especially love the idea of a) recycling old jeans… and 2) using scrapbook paper!
    Clever…..

15. Cibbit says:

Great work! They look very much like Shmottery Shmarn, perhaps even better!
    Does any one have any instructions or ideas for boy rooms, particularly trains or construction vehicles?
    Thanks for sharing.

16. Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk says:

My goodness, all these talented women wasting their time hunched up over their computer keyboards when they could be setting the crafting world alight.
    I think you should all form a cooperative and blast Shmottery Shmarn (whatever the hell that is – we certainly don’t have one of those in the UK. Unless it’s actually called House of Fraser and that shmottery thing is some code I’m not in on!)

17. Kelly @ Love Well says:

Well done! Really, all of those are top-notch.
    We’re in a small place right now, so every wall is already decorated. (All six of them.) (Not really. But it feels that way sometimes.)
    But when we move into a real house, I fully plan to implement some of these creative ideas!

18. Leslie says:

Super cute! Here is a tip on the wrinkles that I discovered this week. I have been altering clipboards experimenting with MPodge, scrapbooking paper and those frustrating wrinkles.
    First, use light covering of glue. That is sorta obvious. But even when you do this you will still get wrinkles. When this happens set your project outside in the heat! This especially works if it is hotter than hades (I am in Texas).
    Yesterday, one of my clipboards wrinkled up badly when I was doing a coat of MPodge. I simply walked outside in the 150 degree patio and put my paper covered clip board on my patio table to dry. TADA! No wrinkles when I went to check on it a bit later. Something about the heat not only drys the project quickly but it shrinks it all back up and the wrinkles virtually disappear!
    So…take advantage of these hot summer days! Paint also dries quicker this way, as do paint brushes.
    I have never done a WFMW…but that is what this sounds like, eh? πŸ™‚

19. Stacey Sickmiller says:

I have a print from uppercase living on my desk here, that maybe I will get the courage to apply after seeing these! You’re all so talented…ok, fighting envy,here!
    =)

20. Robin Storch says:

I found something I would love to be able to do at showoffsart.com. I saw the plain magnetic boards at IKEA!! Maybe I’ll give it a shot…or I’ll just order them from the website.