What I’d Like For You To Know

WhatidlikeIf you’re looking for Works-For-Me Wednesday, scroll on down.

I’ve had an idea brewing behind the scenes for some time, and I’m so excited to tell you about it.

Every Thursday for the next several weeks I’ll be hosting a column called "What I’d Like For You To Know".  I’ve invited some guest bloggers to come and post about their particular life circumstances–circumstances that are, in some instances, challenging and prone to misunderstanding.  I’m asking these women to share with us some of what they’d like others to know about their struggles and their victories, and to educate us all a little better on how we might reach out to others going through similar things.

We’ll hear from a mother of autistic children, a young mother whose husband is deployed to Iraq, and a woman who has lost a child, just to name a few.  I’ve asked some very excellent bloggers to participate, and you won’t want to miss the wise words of these women, every Thursday.

74 thoughts on “What I’d Like For You To Know

1. Rachel says:

This sounds great! I love to hear other perspectives on things. You never know when the knowledge you gain will be useful!

2. Gabby says:

I am so glad you are doing this! It is always encouraging to see how other people are making it through trials and God is being faithful in difficult circumstances!
    I bet we all have a lot more in common than we would think!

3. Chelsey says:

I’d like to hear from someone who met their future spouse online. Seriously.
    I keep hearing that all these people exist, and just for once, I’d like to meet one, other than myself.
    This isn’t a plug for me to be your guest post, just a desperate cry for someone to affirm my experiences!

4. Polka Dot Mommy says:

What a great idea! Thanks for doing this… there are so many people out there with circumstances that do not fall within what society accepts as “normal”.
    Cheers!
    Jamie

5. Polka Dot Mommy says:

Forgot to mention…
    In response to Chelsey’s comment. I met my husband online. We have been married for 11 months.
    Life is grand and so is the cyber-world!
    Cheers!
    Jamie

6. Summer says:

If you’re ever interested in having me write about what obsessive compulsive disorder is and isn’t and how I’ve dealt with it for the last 13 years, let me know. I’ve written about it on my blog some but you have a much wider audience and I think it’s something that is greatly misunderstood.

7. Cheryl says:

Thanks for doing this Shannon; it’s a wonderful idea! I can hardly wait to tune in every Thursday. We could all do with a little more mutual understanding. 🙂

8. Mrs B says:

What a wonderful idea! I hope you will include someone who has been through Hyperemesis. I had it when I was pregnant with my son and its not well known and unforunately very misunderstood.

9. Rachel says:

how about the spouse or partner of a trauma victim (sexual assault, prisoner of war, witness to a crime, etc.)? Its highly misunderstood, and important to understand.

10. Wendy says:

This is a response to Chelsey—my husband and I met online and have been happily married for seven years!

11. Maria says:

What a great idea!!
    Sounds like you have some great ideas lined up and several other ideas in the comments — looking forward to reading.

12. Carissa says:

I’d love to hear from other adoptive parents…someone to talk about how to approach, talk about, and refer to adopted children.

13. Kimberly says:

I can’t wait. I am also a mother of a child with autism. I am always eager to hear from other mothers that are in the same “game” as me.

14. suzanne says:

Also for Chelsey: I, too, met my husband online. Almost a DECADE ago (when NO ONE was admitting to such things…..)
    Ain’t love grand?
    And Shannon, I think this is a bang-up idea!

15. Jenn says:

This is such a great idea! Even as a mom I think that I still am learning daily, this is a great way to gain perspective!

16. jen says:

What a cool idea! Is it weird for me to tell you that I think you are a gifted blogger? I think you come up with the best stuff and always do it well!

17. Molly says:

(to Chelsey)I also met my husband online….and we were introduced by a mutual friend who I knew from online (but didn’t meet in person until…after I met my now husband)…and we all plays Guild Wars together…so NOT even with a dating site!

18. Blessed says:

This will be a good series, I’m looking forward to it
    Oh and all those recipes… how am I ever going to get through all of them!

19. Cindy says:

Me three! My husband and I met online and married in 2001 and we know God (not Al Gore!) used the internet to bring us together.

20. Melene says:

I am excited about this!
    I’d love to share about being the Mom of a daughter with Selective Mutism sometime. It’s not common, but when more people at least know about it, the children who have it-and their families feel a little better and more encouraged.

21. Christine@AreWeThereYetMom says:

Hi Shannon,
    What a fantastic idea. I would love to share my story, about what I have learned and the road our family has traveled down, living with Type 1 Diabetes. My son was diagnosed when he was only 3 and a half, and now he’s eight. It’s been a long road, but we’ve learned so much as a family, about this disease, and what the future holds for our next generation.

22. Janine says:

Glad God gave you this thought. It should be very interesting.
    As a woman going through one of the biggest challenges one can face (death of my best friend/husband) I can really use some wise word.
    Janine

23. Marian says:

That’s great. This is one of the things I’d like to subtly accomplish with my blog somehow, too. I’m the mother of an autistic child. I’m a trans-racial adoptive parent. I’m homeschooling (due to the intense needs of said child with disabilities…). There’s a lot of misunderstanding, hurt, and a lack of support, even among good friends. You don’t want to come right out and say some of these things, so it’s great to have a forum, though each person’s set of curcumstances is very much their own and doesn’t represent an entire population.

24. Amanda says:

Great idea, Shannon! Can’t wait to tune in.
    (In response to Chelsey, I unintentionally met my husband online. We’ve been together for ten years and married for eight years next month.)

25. World's Greatest Mommy says:

What a wonderful idea. I can’t wait to see what they’d like for me to learn about them. I love getting real perspectives on the women around me…their challenges…their triumphs.

26. Elizabeth says:

I’d like to chime in with my pleasure at such a great idea! Just reading the suggestinos people have given for other topics inspires me. I have friends who have met their spouses online, have OCD, and are “sandwiched” caregivers. I know they’d love to read more about others in these situations. I myself am a 3-time cancer survivor and have never met anyone with any of my similar situations. I’ll be here every Thursday!

27. Compassion Juli says:

Thanks so much for sharing. I will never see disruptive children in public in the same light as in the past. Not that I haven’t been in a similar situation with my own children. You have written an excellent post, and one worth reflecting on more than once.

28. Liza's Eyeview says:

Excellent! Excellent! Shannon, you are so full of great ideas, and you are so generous in sharing your blogs with others and promoting others. Love you!
    I can’t wait for the post of the mom who lost a child because I have a very very dear friend who just did and i want to minister to her as much as I could.
    This post is excellent and enlightening. My daughter and I read together a book called RULES (I forgo the name of the author but it’s a chapter book for kids about grade 4 onward…) that book RULES gave the two of us a better understanding of what family (especially siblings) of an autistic child feels and go through.
    OK, I should really be getting ready for work instead of blogging ;0 – till next time.

29. rebecca says:

Love this idea!
    How about parents with large families, and parents with adopted children?

30. Anissa @ Hope4Peyton.org says:

This is a fantastic idea…which you’ve heard 60 times before I typed it…but to give each person a spotlight to enlighten those who aren’t a part of their world is tremendous. If you’re ever short a poster, feel free to check out our website and see if the parent of a child with cancer interests you.
    Can’t wait to read more of what these special women have to say.
    –Anissa @ Hope4Peyton.org

31. Cindy-Still His Girl says:

What a wonderful idea!! Seriously, girl, you have a gift for creating community and for creating opportunities for people to share! Do you do this kind of thing in real life, too?

32. Jane ANne says:

This is such a wonderful, wonderful idea! My husband was deployed to
    Iraq 2 years ago and I look forward to the post about that. Honestly, I love all of the topics. I am sure you have had a ton of suggestions (I haven’t had time to read all of these comments). One more suggestion is Food Allergies. My son is deathly allergic to peanuts. I’d be willing to share about that.
    Thanks again for this series! I know it is going to be very insightful.

33. Beth says:

Commenting with a request in your series: Can you include someone struggling with infertility? It’s right up there with the list of “misunderstood” and “challenging” circumstances. Some GREAT blogs, off the top of my head, that would do the opportunity well:
    Thanks for even considering the request. And thanks for trying to open up a dialogue of understanding and acceptance on whatever topics you choose!

34. MaryBeth @ Four Silly Sisters says:

What a great idea!! I especially can’t wait to read the young mom whose husband is in Iraq… my DH leaves in August for Iraq for a year, and I’m still working through how to explain it all to the girls (ages 3,2,2&2). I’m trying to find all the resources/ suggestions I can at this point for dealing with the girls and keeping him “in the loop”. Thanks for putting good info out there, as always.

35. April says:

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for doing this! If you run out of ideas, I would love to see someone post on Dyslexia. Thanks again!!