Arkansas

Earlier this week, I took a long-planned trip to take the kids to see some extended family in Arkansas.

My roots.  My home.  Arkansas

As it turned out, Hubs and I were doing some channel surfing the night before I left.  We surfed past an episode of PrimeTime/Dateline/20/20/Whatever-They’re-All-the-Same.  It was an old unsolved mystery set deep in the hills of rural Arkansas, not too far from where I grew up.

I don’t know if you’ve ever watched a news report or documentary set in Arkansas, but I can positively assure you of one eternal truth about such a show:  at least one of the characters will have a chicken in his yard.

It’s true.  Every time.

It doesn’t matter what area of Arkansas politics or history or culture is being discussed by the particular media outlet.  It could be a hard-hitting report about the Wal Mart corporate culture or a timeline of the Clinton presidency.

But there will be a chicken.  Always, a chicken.

And I’ve always felt a little indignant about the media’s portrayal of my home state, truly.  I know that Arkansas has its fair share of…well, of yards with chickens in them, but there is some lovely culture there, too.  There are rivers and mountains so beautiful that the scenery would take your breath away, and there are some very cosmopolitan and brilliant Arkansans living very enlightened lives.

How dare the media make such assumptions, I thought to myself, as I finished packing for my trip.  I set out the next afternoon, the van loaded down and my heart happy to be headed toward home.  I passed over the Arkansas state line and breathed deeply, my eyes gazing at those lush, green, rolling hills.

What a treasure this place is, I thought to myself, knowing that those media types would never get it.

And I’m not kidding you, the words had barely left my mind when I noticed a mound on the side of the interstate.  I looked more closely.

It was a pile of dead chickens.

I laughed to myself and I reached for my iPod, cranking up the Toby Keith

It’s good to go home.

Posted in: Fun

111 thoughts on “Arkansas

1. mimi2six says:

You can take the girl out of Arkansas, but you can’t take Arkansas out of the girl……thank goodness!!!

2. Toni says:

I’m also from Arkansas and couldn’t agree more about it’s beauty. Did you know that some of the outdoor shots from the old Bonananza T.V. show’s were filmed in Arkansas? It’s true, right outside Hardy.

3. Scrapper Mom says:

I love this post about Arkansas. I am a fellow Arkansas blogger. Live down South and proud of it. That’s funny about the chickens. The other day we got behind a Tyson chicken truck and my daughter was distraught because they were about to go slaughter the chickens…right about that time I looked over at her chowing down on (her favorite)..chicken strips from Popeyes. I made the comment that it didn’t look like she minded “eating” them that much. ha. I didn’t know you were from Arkansas. So cool.

4. Rachel says:

it’s either a chicken or they always find the someone with one tooth in their whole head to describe what happened to them during the storm. the other day it was a little old lady and she had a kroger sack covering her head! I’m not kidding! She was pitiful. PIT I FUL ! But I am still proud of where I came from… GO HOGS!

5. Louise says:

I’m a northern girl, and always fell victim to all those stereotypes about Arkansans and Oklahomans. I’m ashamed to admit it, but it’s true! Thankfully a few years ago I became friends with an Arkansan who set me straight on some things–now I’m trying to break free from the media’s portrayal of such items like chickens in the yard. Another myth shattered! Hurrah!

6. Anonymous says:

My hubby and I moved to Benton, Arkansas 5 months after we got married to our first church.
    The whole chicken thing?
    Completely true.
    And you know what? We miss it, even been thinking of moving to Ft Smith.
    We miss the land. And the chickens.

7. JadeMerie says:

Arkansas is one of my most favorite states in the country. My grandparents lived there when I was younger and I would spend the summer with them. I always loved how green it was and all the lovely mountains. Now that my grandparents have passed on, my folks own their land and if my parents keep it, hubby and I will get it someday, I often sit there and think, I would love to move down there.

8. Jenny says:

I guess everyone is proud of their home state. My husband happens to be from the same home town in AR, and he can’t speak highly enough about it. What I find funny is that he never considers the state as a whole, it’s always “Northwest AR”. He says the North and the South are completely different. I have been to Fayetteville several times, and I love it!

9. Tara says:

I’ve got chickens in my yard. Of course, I live on 5 acres in the middle of a cornfield. πŸ™‚
    I missed your post last week about being a closet country music fan. Computer was in the shop. Glad you linked up to it! Great stuff.

10. Amy says:

I’ve never noticed the Arkansas chickens, but this made me laugh, because DH and I long ago noticed a trend on tv with referring to people in Ohio as “nice”. The implication is usually that everyone here in Ohio is naive, out of style, farming rednecks who aren’t up on the big city life, therefore we’re all just “nice”, like little children who need to be coddled. LOL!

11. Margie says:

I live in Arkansas and I don’t have chickens in my yard. And I love the mountains and streams you spoke of. Fun, fun, fun. Beautiful.

12. Antique Mommy says:

I love Arkansas. We love to go there to raft and hike and visit friends. The north and western part of the state where we go is so lovely and unspoiled. When you live in Texas you don’t have much room to make fun of other people’s chickens.

13. Tami says:

Every other house in the mountains of SC have chickens in the yard. I would love to have some myself. But hubby won’t agree to it. Wouldn’t it be great to have fresh eggs everyday?

14. Kelly says:

As an Alabamian who lives 3 miles from Mississippi, I know whereof you speak. Only here they try to always do an interview in front of a ramshackle trailer with at least one car or lawn mower on blocks in the front yard. But from the Tennessee River Valley to the Gulf Coast, there is some natural beauty to be had. I travelled to Arkansas once and was impressed with the Ozarks.

15. Meredith says:

I’m an Arkansas native, now living in the middle of the cornfields of Illinois. The first time I took my DH home to northwest Arkansas, we crossed the state line at Memphis. Needless to say, it took a LOT of explaining through the rest of the drive to convince him that there was a vast difference between West Memphis and Fayetteville. We embrace the chickens, too. πŸ™‚

16. Shan says:

HaHa…I KNOWWWW. I’m from OKC but have lived in AR mostly since going to college at JBU. I can’t really even watch the local news but we noticed that they only find toothless people to interview in OK so I’m not sure if I don’t prefer the chicken approach. It IS beautiful here! And you do get used to the farm smells after a while.
    Noticed you on Vicki Dees site. She was my 10 year old’s teacher for K and 1st and has always been our favorite. What a fabulous family.

17. Lora Lynn says:

Yes, states in the south will never let you down that way. I find it comforting, in a creepy sort of way. In Alabama, there will always be somebody shirtless in a pick-up truck with either Auburn or Alabama pride stickers on the back.

18. Shelly says:

Funny you mention this, I’ve lived in Fayetteville for all my 39 years – and love it! I saw the same Dateline show. I made the same comment to my husband about why they always have to put something stereotypical of Arkansas in every story they do. We both laughed when we saw it!

19. Elizabeth says:

I LOVED having chickens in my yard in midtown Tulsa. When the roosters began to crow I sent them to live in yards in that hometown of ours. I learned two big things: Barred Rocks are too dang big (especially when you come home and find that they’ve gone to roost on the privacy fence!!) for a back yard; go with little Silkies, and chickens and my cow dog, Scout, do not match. I haven’t any chickens now, but you’ll never hear of a marauding cow in Mapleridge- Scout’s got it all under control. There are many Tulsans, though, with chickens- two nationally known artists, a Brenrose family and a doctor in Swan Lake to name just a few. Chickens rock. They eat all your slugs and bugs and your grass will get so, so green. They are sweet to look at, and I tell you, that if you sit quietly with one you will feel your blood pressure going down and your worries just slip away.
    I know you’re wondering how I came to have chickens, not being all farmy and all… When I taught 2nd grade I hatched eggs with my kids. It was the most fabulous learning experience ever. So much science, art, reading and writing- it’s all there, and it’s very hands on.
    Want serenity now? Get a pet chicken.

20. Denise says:

We love camping and hiking in Arkansas. It’s beautiful there. Well…piles of dead chickens being the most notable exception, I would guess.
    Wait a minute! WHY was there a pile of dead chickens along the side of the road? Who does that?

21. Megntally@Lonesome Pine says:

So…you’re saying there ISN’T a chicken in every yard in Arkansas? LOL!!
    I can relate living here in Florida. If we go north the first question is..”So you live near the beach?” Actually, NO. We’re nearly two hours from the beach..and no, we don’t have palm trees in our yard…but there ARE a few alligators in the pond!
    Bummer, about the chickens….

22. Elizabeth says:

Oh, dead chicken pile… Sometimes those chicken trucks have accidents. What’s really, really bad is if the truck’s leaving the chicken plant going in the opposite direction of the nugget factory and then it wrecks. Early on in our driving careers we learned to spot those trucks and stay a great distance behind them. Even if they don’t spill or wreck, they drip. Seriously.

23. Shirley says:

I live in NE Arkansas. This area is flat and sandy with the exception of Crowley’s Ridge.
    NW Arkansas on the other hand is in the mountains and is beautiful. My son spent 7 years living outside Springdale, and we loved going there.
    Wal-Mart does their economic forcasting by counting the dead chickens on the road in a given distance. Chickens manage to escape the coops on the trucks and fall to their death. When times are good, they are left on the roadside. When times are bad, people pick them up, take them home and cook them.
    Seems far-fetched, but I heard David Glass, then CEO of Walmart, speak when I was in college in the 90’s and he explained the concept and how they came to use it.
    Bet you won’t find any dead chickens in the road in NW Arkansas right now.

24. Tracy says:

I love that we share a mutual love of Arkansas and Oklahoma. I’m in LR now and FINALLY put my notes of things to do here on my blog.
    So my hometown here in AR was featured on one of those shows last year b/c some guy killed his wife and coverup, etc. I didn’t even know about it!But, I’ve been gone for almost 15 yrs too.

25. Mary says:

Back in the 70s my husband and I considered retirement in Ark. where my sis lives. Too rocky, my husband said. Hard to garden. The other day, here in Western NC, after tilling our garden for 20 years, we dug a HUGE rock out of the garden. Well, the rocks are probably just a different size. Love to go see my sis, though. You are right, it is beautiful. My sis doesn’t have chickens but they have recently sold enough metal to redo their kitchen. =D

26. Bev says:

Glad you made it back to visit, although it’s been a hot week here in Arkansas! Y’know, I’ve lived here all my life (33 years) and I don’t recall seeing a lot of chickens. A lot of people do have guineas, though, to help take care of the ticks and other insects. I think that the media does look for the most humiliating people to represent our dear state to the rest of the world, though!

27. Shalee says:

There’s always a chicken for good reason though: How else are you going to eat some fantabulous fried chicken?!
    The funniest thing I remember about AR is that there would be a mansion in view and then directly next to it would be a shack covered in hub caps. Such a diverse housing display all throughout the state!
    But boy does it have some pretty sights: Eureka Springs, Hot Springs, Ozark Mtns… Lovely to behold.

28. Aubrey T. says:

I’m from SC, and I gotta say we definitely get our fair share of being portrayed with having chickens in the yard, no education, and all being complete racists, living in trailers without indoor plumbing. South Carolina is also a great place to live with lots of natural beauty, even if we do have our issues. So relish your homeland!

29. Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home says:

When I left Arkansas to go to college in New Hampshire, I had a lot of preconceived notions to battle with the New England kids I met. My dad rented a goat (I kid you not) to eat poison ivy that was at the edge of our backyard, and then he grew attached to the goat and bought it. It’s not easy to convince people that Arkansas isn’t all the things they think it is, when your daddy is mailing pictures of your new goat. sigh.
    I had on Adidas tennis shoes and another kid said he didn’t realize they had Adidas in Arkansas. Good grief.

30. Sondra says:

Love your blog! Wish I had had this available 30 years ago when my kids were small! ( I’m boning up to be a grandma when I finish growing up!) AR is home to me and I would dearly love to have a few chickens in my yard!

31. Vanderbilt Wife says:

We are always appalled that when they show someone from TN on the news it is always the most redneck, down-home accented person they can possibly find.
    I like to pretend those people are only in east TN!

32. Ronnica says:

That’s hilarious! I hate when I realize that the stereotype of my state (Kansas) is proven true!
    There is a posh suburb here in NC that currently doesn’t allow chickens for pets, but they are considering it now. Your post made me think about that…

33. chickadee says:

there is a woman that works with my cousin who “rescues” the chickens that fall off the tyson truck and then calls tyson to come and get them. speaking of chickens and all.

34. godzgaljen says:

My husband is from Arkansas and all his extended family is still there. His uncle raised chickens and Tyson chicken. My husband is the only Ohio guy I know that wears Razorback clothes everywhere! Go Hogs!

35. Molly says:

Funny… I’ve never had the privilege of visiting the state of Arkansas. My cousin moved to Little Rock a year or so ago, so maybe I’ll get there someday.
    I’ll have to listen for the chicken references in the future!

36. Angela says:

It’s just like when the national news is on, and if they mention Georgia, or Alabama, or any other slightly southern state, they always show the most “toothless, country talking, overall wearing and backwards” person they can find… Not that there is anything wrong with those nice folks (I’m related to many), mind you, but I’m just saying….

37. Rachel says:

I don’t know why Arkansas gets such a bad rap. I was raised in north Louisiana and many of our vacations were to Hot Springs and the Ozarks. Little Rock is one of the most beautiful cities in the country, in my opinion. My husband and I even went to Eureka Springs for our honeymoon. It snowed while we were there and it was wonderful!
    Louisiana gets the same stereotype. Apparently we’re all named Boudreaux, we actually SUPPORT all the crooked politicians in our state, we all live in the swamp, and we all row a pirogue to work. Oh, and all we care about is football (OK, well that part might be true…).

38. Suzanne Eller says:

My daughter and husband just moved to Fayetteville. There is a 200-acre lake in the middle of town with bike trails, boat slips, and lovely geese and ducks on the pond. AND you can see the mall from there. That is my idea of a beautiful place to live — nature and Dillards on the same block. It truly is lovely and peaceful. Just like Oklahoma, my much-loved state. I’ll have to be on the lookout for chickens the next time I go to Fayetteville!

39. nicole ross says:

My husband is from Arkansas (we are not in Washington State) and I had to laugh at this post. Too funny and too true! I’m from WA state, but would move to Arkansas in a second! I love it down there!

40. Cherissa says:

Shannon,
    LOVED this post- had me laughing out loud. As a former Arkansan with both a college degree *and* all of my teeth, I have to vouch for Arkansas as an awesome place to live. Chickens and all. πŸ™‚
    I’ve been reading your blog for quite a few months now, and I was shocked and excited to find out that you go to church with my brother and sis-in-law, Mitch and Stephanie! I just love it when blog world meets real world!
    Thanks for taking the time to blog. You are really great at it!

41. Staci says:

Oh, girl….I was born and raised in West Virginia….so I TOTALLY get it. Different state, but the same kind of stereotypes. ROFL…. Thanks for brightening my day!

42. Tracye says:

I was born in Arkansas. My family and I lived there until I started 2nd grade.
    We lived in Benton for a while, but then
    we moved to a tiny little town full of crazies. When we drove into town that first day, there was a goat (wearing a hat)sitting in the front seat of a pickup truck in the middle of town square. He turned and looked at us like he was thinking, “What are you lookin’ at?”
    Our phone was tapped (unbeknownst to us!) by the FBI because the people we were renting from were growing pot in the barn on the property. We only lasted the one school year (my dad was a coach) before we got out of there! We later found out that the sheriff had murdered the previous sheriff. It was literally full of crazies!
    But you’re right… it’s beautiful land.

43. Jill says:

I’m so with you…I’m from Iowa…not exactly top on the list of posh and hip states. It get a bad rap, but I think it’s wonderful.

44. Elizabeth Sue says:

I guess I missed the chickens hailing from the Little Rock/LAFB area….but it wouldn’t surpise me to see a pile of dead chickens in my fomer homeland…

45. Shelley says:

I grew up in a suburb of Dallas – a cement city. My husband grew up in North Central Arkansas next to Bull Shoals Lake. The first time I went up there to meet his family, all I could talk about was the trees, the crystal clear lakes, the streams and rivers, just the all around beauty. We lived in Little Rock for 5 years before returning to Texas. I would go back to AR in a heartbeat!! I like my malls, shopping centers, and absolute convince of everything here in the Big D, but there is something about God’s handiwork in Arkansas!!
    P.S. – My husband had chickens in his yard is entire childhood. It was his job to fetch the eggs every morning.

46. TRS says:

I’m from Nebraska and I’ve always been irritated that the national media cannot visit a city in Nebraska without showing a cornfield or a windmill or both!
    Come On! I think ESPN has finally graduated… but for years when covering the College World Series from Omaha – they always cut to a windmill (old fashioned kind – not the sleek new turbine ones)or a cornfield between breaks when they would announce “Covering the College World Series from Omaha, Nebraska!”
    Excuse me, I know for a fact that you have drive a good 20 minutes from Rosenblatt Stadium to find a freaking cornfield (and the closest ones are in Iowa so don’t get me started.) if you want a Nebraska Cornfield it’s a 40 minute drive.
    Beautiful, metropolitian downtown Omaha is only a 5 minute drive… why not show our beautiful city?????
    Grrrr.

47. Kelly says:

We had the privilege to drive through the western border of AR on our way back from Missouri to Texas. It was beautiful, so very green and the hills were gorgeous!

48. Kristen Chapman says:

My husband and I went to college in Arkansas and I can truly say that north west Arkansas is absolutely beautiful!
    But that’s funny you see the chickens on TV, we used to only see broken appliances in the yards πŸ™‚

49. Katie says:

Hmmm…a pile of dead chickens on the side of the road? EW!
    Everything about Phoenix is cowboys or a huge saguaro cactus…there’s nothing more to Phoenix, according to the media. And considering there ARE no cowboys here anymore (or saloons, for that matter…it’s 2008 people!) they love showing true cowboys. You’ll find more of that kind of look in Texas…people don’t even wear cowboy HATS here anymore!

50. Janera says:

I’m a Texas girl, born and bred. You know? Texas is the state that keeps Oklahoma and Arkansas from falling into the gulf. We’re also the state where the STUPIDEST people on tv are always from. Not Arkansas. I promise. Anytime there is a ya-hoo on tv, he’s from Texas.
    So I get it. In a way, though, the stereotypes work for our benefit. It keeps the Yankees up there where they belong.
    Kidding, folks. Totally kidding!

51. Diane says:

I can barely type I’m crackin’ up girl! My husband’s family (dad side) is from Arkansas. They can tell funny stories about life down there but they do mention the beauty too. So this story had me hooked and I never saw the end coming! You are too, too, way too funny! Wow – being a friend of yours or heck, even in the same family, must be a RIOT.ALL.THE.TIME! Needed a laugh right now so THANK YOU!

52. Fran says:

Too many of us “get this” right now! πŸ™‚ Come over and read my post about some neighborhood turkeys. This would be in TN.
    Hugs,
    Fran

53. Erica says:

What people don’t realize is that AR is the #2 state for the production of broiler chickens. A close second behind Georgia. So chances are that any chicken you eat was raised in one of those two states. AR is a wonderful state for Agricultural production! in addition to the breath taking beauty.
    Have a rice day. (if you don’t get that, you’ve obviously never been to NorthEast AR)

54. distybug says:

Well, here in Alabama, the media always manages to find someone to talk to with nary a tooth in their head! And of course the MOST southern, twangy, redneck accent.

55. Melanie says:

I have always hated that anytime they make reference to a town in Georgia, they always tell you how far it is from Atlanta.
    “55 miles southeast of Atlanta”
    “about 200 miles southwest of Atlanta”
    I mean, does that really help a person pinpoint where the town is? Really?

56. Stephanie's mommy brain says:

My extended family all live in Benton County. I grew up in eastern AR, near Memphis. It IS DIFFERENT.
    I’ve lived in Rhode Island for 10 years – not a chicken in sight. Though my parents did own a chicken farm for a few years in Benton County. = )

57. Jenna says:

That’s so funny … we just moved to Arkansas four months ago, and there is a yard with chickens AND a rooster two blocks away!

58. susie harris says:

Too funny. I live in Louisiana need I say more, smile.. My husband is from Eldorado and my Mom just moved to the HOG state and she loves it! Thanks for the giggle… Susie h~

59. Ericka says:

Ok, I know this may sound a little weird, but I’ve actually wanted a couple of chickens running around the yard as pets and providers of eggs. I’ve always envisioned going out to the coop and getting fresh eggs to cook for breakfast…..
    And Arkansas is BEAUTIFUL country. My cousin lives there and LOVES it. My in-laws almost retired there (he’s a fisherman πŸ˜‰
    Post some pics if you get a chance….

60. Elizabeth says:

I get so mad at people’s assumptions about Arkansas. You know, like how no one wears shoes, that kind of thing. It is so beautiful and has so much to offer (most of it anyway). I lived in Arkansas my entire life until we moved to Oklahoma last year. Oh, how I miss it!

61. Kristenkj says:

Oh my, I have to say, I DONT get it! ‘Round here there are livestock laws…nothing that can be considered a farm animal is allowed in a residential area unless there are so many acres or some such nonsense.
    A pile of dead chickens…hmmm.

62. Chel says:

Girl, I know exactly where you’re coming from. I’ve never been to Arkansas I’m sad to say, but I am from Texas. And you know we ALL live on 800 acres and ride horses everywhere we go, wear poop-stained Wranglers and 10-gallon hats, and belt buckles with enough gold and silver to accessorize a small country.
    Boy-howdy, do I know.

63. Jerri says:

I understand how you feel. I live in Alabama, and I hate the media’s (and Hollywood’s) portrayal of my state. And what’s even more irritating is that the people who make fun of us have never actually been here. They know nothing about our beaches & beautiful coastline, or our lovely cities and towns. I’m very proud of my state, its people, and its culture. And it drives me crazy that we are so misunderstood. (but my husband thinks it’s a good thing, because it means those people will never come here.)

64. Gina says:

Thanks for the great pics! I’m new to your blog and love finding another reason why I love your blog! I’m an Arkansas gal that’s been transplanted in the Midwest for the past 10 years. We missed our annual trip to Hot Springs this summer but are determined to get down that way as soon as we can. We’ll watch out for the chickens!

65. Jennifer Walker says:

I’m a brand-new-blogger who stumbled upon your blog. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and have learned a lot… still a lot more to learn! Thanks for posting some info. about blogging.
    Also, I can so agree with your thoughts about Arknasas! I’m from Mississippi, and we get the same type of media coverage. I wish people could really know how great it is to grow up in the deep south!

66. Anissa @ Hope4Peyton says:

I’m from Indiana….remember Field of Dreams?…looks just like that without Kevin Costner. The first time I took my family there to visit family my son asked when we’d know we were there and I said “Look for corn”. We got all the way there, we’re standing in the front yard of my aunt’s farm, surrounded on 4 sides by cornfields and he says, “where’s the corn?”
    I’m like, “Dude, look around.”
    He seriously said, “Is it behind all that tall green stuff?”
    Ahhh, we city folk sure are silly.
    –Anissa @ Hope4Peyton

67. cobblestones says:

Arkansas happens to be a means to an end for us. We must travel through it to get to Tennessee. Unfortunatley, we are on I-40 the entire time and we have not seen any of these hills you speak of. We also have not seen any piles of dead chickens. So, that’s good! However, we can tell immediately when we’ve crossed into AR because the roads, oh the roads. The bumps make it seem more like a roller coaster ride!

68. Jenny Beth says:

I too am an Arkansas native and proud of it. Spent all my 30 years living within the borders of this great state. In just a few short weeks we are headed west to Colorado. This Arkansas girl is going to spread her wings and fly but I will have to echo Dorothy when I say there’s no place like home. And Arkansas will ALWAYS be home!
    I loved this post and can totally relate! I don’t know what’s funnier that you actually saw chickens on the side of the road or picturing you jamm’n in the mini to Toby Keith.

69. Jenny Beth says:

p.s. My husband and his family moved to Arkansas roughly 20 years ago from Virginia. When they were house hunting they had to stop the car to let a cow cross the road. My husband started to believe the legends of no shoes could be true. Of course our hometown does boast Toad Suck Daze as their big festival. Gotta love some Arkansas!

70. Gego says:

Shan,
    Your visit was GREATLY appreciated by your family here. GM loved your attention. I loved spending time with the kids. Seeing them and playing with them keeps me going.
    Arkansas is wonderful – chickens, dead cars in yards, and all.
    There are wonderful condos available for rental in Hot Springs on Lakes Hamilton and Ouachita. Hopefully, y’all will investigate that and I know a Grandmother who is ready to babysit while you and hubs escape for a while (a short while :)).
    Love y’all bunches, Gego

71. stacy says:

I feel ya. I’m from Texas, and every time there is a tornado they NEVER interview and educated person. It’s always some hillbilly soundin’ person who tells ya “it sounded like there was a big train a comin’ right threw our front yard. We’s lost all our lawn chairs.”

72. julie says:

Well I’m from Tennessee and everytime someone from here makes the national news, they’re wearing overalls and talking about how the tornado sounded JUST LIKE A TRAIN!
    Gotta love the South!

73. Shannon says:

Oh girl, I’m from Texas and you know we have our share of stereotypes too.
    Speaking of Arkansas I think my hubby and I will going on vacation there in the fall. We like outdoorsy things, canoeing, hiking, (fishing in the case of my husband), etc and were considering the ouachita area. Any suggestions for “don’t miss this!” spots?

74. Lora says:

I was born and mostly raised in Arkansas. It’s a beautiful state, especially the northwestern part where I’m from:) I currently live in Alabama (where the stereotypes abound also) and am home in AR for a visit this week, too. Isnt’ it great?!

75. Kristy says:

I am happy to have stumbled across another native Arkansan on the big ol’ world wide web! I have been to your hometown in the not too distant past…I could have been in mine because these little towns are so much the same. I’ve bookmarked your blog and I will be back!

76. Heather says:

Thank you so much for your fabulous blog. I am new to this blogging adventure and your’s is definitely one of my favs! I am a Texas girl, so I know all about the media’s false portrayal of the places we love. It never fails that, if someone is showing Texas, there is going to be a cowboy hat, a cow, and someone on a horse. Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your great postings!

77. Sheri says:

We just got back from a quick trip to Arkansas to pick up my son from the University of Arkansas. We’ve been before, and everytime the natural beauty just takes my breath away. You don’t see those rolling hills and lush trees in my part of the midwest. And I didn’t see any chickens,lol.

78. Veronica @ Toddled Dredge says:

I drove through Arkansas once. I have never been anywhere where so many people thought that the underside of an overpass was the perfect place for a picnic. That was pretty much the only impression I remember.

79. Dana says:

Shannon – that is soo hilarious. I was curious where you grew up in Arkansas cause I was wondering if I knew you in grade school. OK, probably not..but I lived in Little Rock, Arkansas for 8 years (from about the age of 4 until 6th grade). I agree though, I love Arkansas and I don’t feel like I fit the stereotypes.
    Sorry I’m a bit behind – reading quite a few older posts….trying to catch up.
    Dana

80. Grateful for Grace says:

I went to UALR and my dh (then my dbf) would give me such grief about living in Arkansas, “Arkansas, Arkansas, I just love ol’ Arkansas, I love my maw, I love my paw, I just love ol’ Arkansas” was sung to me many a time when he called. He would ask if we had running water yet… yada, yada, yada. I loved Little Rock and would live there again happily. It’s a very pretty state.
    The funniest thing, though, was how EVERY SINGLE PERSON answered my question I asked the first Christmas I lived there:
    What should I get my loved ones to symbolize Arkansas?
    A (razorback)hog hat!!
    I didn’t.
    I’m glad.

81. GiBee says:

So, apparently, there was someone else out there that was a wee bit MORE indignant about the chickens, and decided to take matters into their own hands.
    Sounds like a basis for a hard-hitting report to me!!

82. Lynnet says:

When I married 18 years ago, my hubby broke the news to me, we were moving to AR. I went kicking and screaming. As a Kansas girl, I thought they were all hicks there, and it was going to be torture. Now? This is home. The rolling hills, wonderful friends, friendly people, and awesome weather (if you don’t count the tornados). While we don’t have chickens, we love to get the fresh eggs from friends who do. Finally, I guess I’m here to stay, but I still don’t like the HOGS! I’m so glad you posted this, gave me a smile for the day!

83. Tami says:

Thank you for this little chuckle today, Shannon! I live in rural NC, and we have had chickens in our yard! Fortunately, DH built them a coop, and we now have a better way to find eggs! Can you imagine trying to find eggs when the chickens roamed about the yard? SHEESH!!!