In Which I Actually Have To Pack a Jacket

(If you’re looking for Works-For-Me Wednesday, scroll down.)

I am getting up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to head to the airport for BlogHer.  Does the world actually exist at 4:30 a.m.?  I would have no way of knowing.  Tomorrow I’ll be leaving you in the good hands of an excellent guest poster in the What I’d Like For You To Know series–I can’t wait for you to read what she has to say.

I have no idea how much I’ll be posting while I’m away.  Hopefully I’ll be able to bring you frequent updates of the things I’m learning, but (oh, the irony) blogging conferences don’t always leave a lot of time for blogging.

In the meantime, I just happened to look ahead at the forecast, and I’m thinking that earthquakes might not be a bad trade-off after all:

Forecast

I just might need a parka for Alcatraz on Sunday.

39 thoughts on “In Which I Actually Have To Pack a Jacket

1. Polka Dot Mommy says:

Hey… what’s wrong with West Coast weather? In our house we don’t bust out the jackets until it drops to oh, 45 or so. ๐Ÿ™‚
    That said… I did just get a FABULOUS new USA Olympics sweatshirt. You might want to at least pack a hoodie or lightweight jacket.
    Have fun at the conference. I wish it had worked in my schedule this year… being so close to me and all.

2. Roxanne Kristina says:

The West Coast welcomes you!!! You are actually coming at our best time of year. June would have been too early. July to mid October is great. I promise you will think we are as beautiful (almost :0) as your side of the states.
    On another note, I finally pushed myself a little bit, getting out of my comfort zone on, โ€œThis is what I did today,โ€ sort of blogging. If you have a moment, I’d love your feedback on, โ€œPray-paring for 20 somethings.โ€
    Link: http://sharingnotes.blogspot.com/2008/07/pray-paring-for-20-somethings.html
    Blessings,
    Roxx

3. Janera says:

Holy Cow! It’s wintertime over there! Have a good time.
    Speaking of time, if you have a little of it before you leave, come over and sign up for my current giveaway. It’s a good one.

4. sarah joy says:

If you are going to be in San Fransisco any time of year, you need a jacket. In summer, you can get away with a light one, or a sweater, but the wind off the ocean is brisk. When I visit San Fran in the summer, I find myself frequently taking off my sweater and putting it back on again a few minutes later.

5. Anne says:

We went to San Francisco in August 1998, and froze. Even in the day time. And I was pregnant and usually burning up all the time. We ended up paying an fortune for cheap sweatshirts. I suggest layering. Don’t miss Ghirardelli ! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Debby says:

Skip Ghiradelli Square. It’s just a bunch of over priced shops. Buy your chocolate at the grocery store for half the price. I forgot to add “we don’t have earthquakes all the time” to my stereotype comment! The best part about our weather in San Francisco, is that it’s the same temp all year round. And most days, the sun is shining. Whatever you do, please promise me that you won’t eat at Bubba Gump’s or the Rainforest Cafe. Both are chains and you will be disappointed. Eat at Alioto’s or Tarantino’s or Scoma’s for seafoood. For steak go to the House of Prime Rib, John’s Bar and Grill or Izzy’s Chop House. You can walk to John’s from Union Square.

7. Dana says:

You WILL need a jacket. Alcatraz is glorious. Simply glorious as is all of San Francisco!!! You will have so much fun. I hope you take lots of pictures. I was surprised at how cool it was when we visited and that was in September a few years ago, I believe.

8. Melissa says:

Have a great time at the conference! I’ll be thinking of you while I deal with the high 90 temps in my area. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Kelly @ Love Well says:

I used to live in the Bay Area, and I have to say — San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities on the face of the planet. Just stunning and ethereal.
    Definitely bring a jacket. But the parka might be overkill. Only ‘Zonies (people from Arizona running, running from the heat) wear parkas in California in the summer.

10. Mrs. Bubba says:

Native San Franciscan here… yes, always have a jacket with you, you just never know. We’ve had a couple of heat waves, we got in the 80s and 90s. I don’t think we’ve got another one coming. We have natural air conditioning, most of the world calls it fog.
    I’m sorry to miss the conference having it so close to home.

11. Secola says:

Yeah, the world does actually exist at 4:30 am, because I’m up on the internet at that ungodly hour reading blogs!
    I’ve been at this barely a month and I am hooked!!!

12. TRS says:

Ah yes. I was in SF in July one year too. Brrr. Not what I expected for a trip to California in the summertime.
    did you know they have a saying? … “The coldest winter I ever spent was July in San Francisco.”

13. Linda Sherman says:

Shannon,Thanks for posting the weather forecast. I’m still packing and it was a good reality check. I keep telling myself SF is chilly in the summer but it really didn’t sink in till I saw your weather chart.
    I do hope to get to meet you and hug you at BlogHer. (I just posted about hugging on my blog)
    You can find me @lindasherman

14. Shalee says:

Oh, have fun freezing off your tush in “sunny” CA. You’ll be inside most of the time, so it should work out most of the time anyways… oh wait. It’s cold in those meeting places. You’ll need one anyway.

15. cheri says:

If you have a chance… and you like pizza…. you HAVE to go to Zachary’s! If you’re not driving – take BART to the Rockridge Station (Oakland) – hop off and go 1.5 blocks north on College Ave…
    They have wons years & years of awards for nothing! http://www.zacharys.com … Oh how I miss them!