BlogHer, Day Two

Evidently I am allergic to San Francisco.  I have had a strange, sneezy, water-eyed thing going on ever since we arrived.  But other than, things have been fantastic–it’s been more information than I could possibly process in a few short days.

My session this afternoon went really well–we had some incredibly smart and well-spoken women on our panel and in the audience, all eager to share their thoughts on the issue of privacy in parenting.  I wrote more about the session over at BlogHer.

And, in an event of proportions hard for me to fully express, I met the great-great-granddaughter of Emily Post, who is at the conference to promote her book.  I love my Emily Post book–I keep it in a prominent place and refer to it surprisingly frequently (it’s a classic!)  There is a great joy to be had in a properly-worded RSVP or a well-placed dessert fork.

But as I stood there talking to Anna Post, Emily’s great-great-granddaughter, my strange allergy attack struck.  I had the most powerful, horrible, over-powering urge to do a massive sneeze.

No. NO. Not now, please.  Not with the offspring of Emily Post.  I bet she never sneezed, or at least not the nose-honking variety I needed to do. I held off, I’m glad to say.  But it was a close call.  I dashed out into the hall and let ‘er rip.

And now, it’s off to another round of parties and meetings in what will hopefully be a mucous-free evening.  Y’all have a good weekend.

24 thoughts on “BlogHer, Day Two

1. threeundertwo says:

Isn’t that classic? Meet an etiquette maven and have to sneeze your head off? Oh man, it’s funny (because it didn’t happen to me). Have fun and keep checking in.

2. Karen says:

If you’d like to rent a car and drive an hour or so northeast, you can come visit me… I’m on the Air Force Base that President Bush landed at yesterday. 🙂

3. Tiffany says:

Maybe it’s the change in climate? That happens to me sometimes. And if you have three or more sneezes at one time, I bet you are coming down with a cold.
    Enjoy your time away!

4. Nancy says:

It’s been an especially bad year for allergies in Northern CA this year. Our weather this year has been bizarre, so all sorts of pollen ended up in the air. Even my husband, who never had allergies in his life ended up on two different prescriptions this year. And he’s lived here since he was 8. If you came back a year from now, you probably wouldn’t have a problem.

5. Joanne says:

Hope you are having a good time in my neck of the woods.
    California is really a beautiful state. No sweet tea, not much deep fried foods, but truly beautiful.
    Get yourself a soy mocha in the morning and a turkey wrap for lunch with a green tea and you’ll blend right in.
    Have fun! Joanne

6. Kelly @ Love Well says:

At least it was only a sneeze. I can think of a couple of other bodily functions that coulda/woulda been even more embarrassing.
    But, of course, I won’t name them here. Because I’m also an Emily Post fan.

7. Jenny in Ca says:

I agree, at least it was only a sneeze- and one that you controlled, at that.
    The whole privacy and family issue is really of interest to me, I hope to see more posts on the subject.

8. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime says:

The privacy issue haunts me a little. When I started blogging, I was completely clueless about the whole blogging thing, never read blogs other than my family’s. I thought my blog would be read by about 3 family members a day, never did I imagine hundreds of perfect strangers would read about our lives.
    Had I been wiser, I am sure I would have done some things differently. And I have done some things retroactively to curtail our details.
    I have gone to my husband in a panic and said, what should I do? Should I change everything?? And his response was, what’s done is done, our children are and aren’t safe anywhere and everywhere. God is sovereign, and God protects our children. We have to trust in that.
    So, that’s what is giving me peace now.

9. Shannon M. says:

Living vicariously through you right now. Would love to go to BlogHer sometime. I run a website for moms in Northwest Arkansas, but have a personal blog on the site. I’m hoping you’ll share some of your privacy insights with us, too — you know, those of us who didn’t get to attend BlogHer…. (Sniff.)

10. Sallie says:

Would you consider me a total etiquette nerd if I told you I have a 1922 Emily Post Etiquette book that I stubbled upon in a used bookstore. Read it cover to cover and used so many ideas in it to plan my wedding 12 years ago. Even the invitations, that along with the printed words had the guest’s name handed written on them, requesting their presence at our wedding. I just thought that was the coolest thing.
    My how times have changed etiquette wise – just the basics since 1922.

11. badgermama says:

That’s hilarious!
    Believe it or not, I could probably quote you from my own 1922 Emily Post. My favorite part is how it is quite proper to send wedding presents up to a year after the wedding. How comforting, when you have simply forgotten to get someone a wedding present!

12. Jackie Sue says:

Glad you were able to hold off your sneeze. That would’ve been so embarassing. I read your article on blogher, but somehow I couldn’t comment or get an account…I’m sorta illiterate sometimes, so it is probably me. I do find the subject very thought provoking and try to be careful with private matters…including my children. Mostly my blog is my struggles that are MY deal and how God changes my heart and my focus. It’s not really about my kids, although they certainly come up, but mostly its my story, not theirs. Thanks for making me think!

13. sarah says:

i live near sf and it has been really bad lately with all the california fires. very hazy, and my eyes have been watering and itchy too! it’s awful! I wish you could have been here to see some blue skies, right now it’s all grey with smoke.