Where I Belong

*Thanks to the chaos surrounding The Great San Francisco Airport Adventure of 2008, Works-For-Me Wednesday will be posted a little later than usual.  It will go up at 8 am CST on Wednesday.

BlogHer was excellent.  There was an enormous amount of information,  and there was enough meeting-and-greeting to turn my normally extroverted self into a bleary-eyed zombie.

I suspect every woman there, at some point in the weekend, wondered if she really "belonged" there.  I know I felt that way.  At times I felt like I stood out like a red-state Presbyterian housewife at a San Francisco tech convention.

Maybe because I was a red-state Presbyterian housewife at a San Francisco tech convention.

Occasional jitters aside, I’m very glad I went.  There was some good information, but–even better–I met some ladies who are so delightful I just wanted to bring them home in my suitcase.

And I mean that, of course, in the most non-stalker-ish way possible.

Saturday night a group of us ditched the cocktail party for a very loud dinner at a greasy-spoon diner.  The conversation and dessert flowed freely:

Sfgroup_4

Back row, left to right:  Heather of Desperately Seeking Sanity, Janice of 5 Minutes For Mom, me, Christine of The Home Team WinsFront row, left to right:  Steph of Adventures in Babywearing, Arianne of To Think Is To Create, Susan of 5 Minutes For Mom, Mary of Owlhaven, Melanie of Blogging Basics 101Not pictured:  Nicole of Apron Strings Aflutter and Stephanie of Metropolitan Mama.

Sunday we spent a long day seeing the sights, including a boat trip out to Alcatraz.  That is one creepy and oppressive place.  I’m glad I saw it, because I had been considering a life of crime, but after seeing the consequences, I believe I’ll stick with PTA and soccer practice.

Back on the wharf, just to prove I was there, I had Melanie snap this photo (the downside of sightseeing with only one friend is that you have to be in all the photos by yourself):

Sfbridge2

(P.S.–that’s my super-cute Couture Moms t-shirt buried under the layers of clothing.)  Layers were necessary, because San Francisco was COLD.  I had about two dozen people e-mail or Twitter me to be sure and bring a sweatshirt.

So you might think I would have, you know, brought a sweatshirt.

I didn’t, though–I guess I couldn’t bring myself to believe that when it’s 95 degrees in Oklahoma it could be sweatshirt weather on the Pacific ocean.  And I suffered freezingly for my naivete.  It all worked out, because the hundreds of sweatshirt stores along Fisherman’s Wharf do a very brisk business (pun intended) selling their wares to unsuspecting Southerners like me.

Happily, I’m home now.  While it’s interesting to slip into a semi-sophisticated life of panel discussions, PR pitches and cocktail parties for a few days, it’s even sweeter to slip back into my real life.  I belong right here on this couch with my holey socks and three-year-old yoga pants, smooshed into a crowded pile with my five favorite people.

There is absolutely, positively NO place like home.

42 thoughts on “Where I Belong

1. Rachel says:

Welcome home! 3 year old YOGA pants are the BEST!
    (And a dark blue place like San Fran was lucky to get a red-state girl like you to visit for a few days!).

2. Steph @ Problem Solvin' Mom says:

Glad to hear you had fun and that you (finally!) made it home. Your outrageously sore feet look great in those super cute shoes at the Golden Gate Bridge! My husband and I have many a photo of each other alone in photos from our vacations, along with a few of both of us with our heads cut off taken by a well intentioned stranger. Welcome back to “real” life, so much sweeter after time away!
    Take care,
    Steph

3. Mamacita says:

I’m glad you had a good time. Me, I had such a good time I didn’t want to come back home. I love my home, but sometimes? I think I could live quite happily in a hotel like that one. If I won the lottery, that is.

4. AmberStar says:

You really tickled me with the stalkerish comment. πŸ™‚ I felt the same way about Alcatraz…I didn’t go. My husband was there for business and I amused myself all day for a week. It was sooo hard. Took a trip over the Golden Gate bridge up to the wine country, etc.
    Glad you had a wonderful time. Did you think to buy a sweatshirt while you were there? I made a trip to mervyn’s one day while there for some layers. It is cold there.

5. Donnetta (momrn2) says:

I am so glad you are finally home!
    No more clicking your heels together in your red ruby slippers uttering, “There’s no place like home”. You are now there!!
    Enjoy, get some rest… and then share all! πŸ˜‰

6. Miche says:

It looks like you guys had so much fun! I hope I get to go to a blogher someday and meet all you guys too, but I’ll probably be with you in feeling out of place at a tech convention and feeling right at home snuggled in a holey sweatshirt with some snotty nosed boys πŸ™‚
    So cute that your daughter loves the shampoo bottles…when I was little I loved it when my dad would bring back hotel soaps for me.

7. Mrs. Pear says:

Sounds like your WFMW post right here – being with your family!
    Being with my family always works for me! (And I am sure that being with yours would be fun too!)

8. Ree says:

“At times I felt like I stood out like a red-state Presbyterian housewife at a San Francisco tech convention.”
    Okay, now THAT was hilarious. Thanks for making me giggle.

9. Kelly @ Love Well says:

And to think all you endured at the hands of Southwest when all you needed to do was click your ruby slippers three times.
    Glad you’re back safely. Get some rest. Oh! And take off the sweatshirt!

10. dana says:

Shannon, it was so great to see you again this year, albeit briefly! I too, froze my behind in SF and I had to buy a fleece jacket at Pier 39 to keep myself warm.
    Liz from This Full House and I did the same sightseeing tour, minus Alcatraz, and it was breathtaking. Cold, but beautiful just the same.
    See you next year! πŸ˜‰

11. gretchen says:

Welcome home, Shannon! It didn’t leave the 50s today here in Seattle, so when you come visit me, bring a sweatshirt, will ya? Actually, the rest of the week should be in the 70s. But pack on anyway. πŸ˜‰

12. genny says:

How fun to see some of the wonderful people I’ve met through blogging together in a picture.
    And thanks for the reminder about the sweatshirt…I’m taking my kids to SF tomorrow and, even though we live in Northern CA, it’s still so much hotter where we are than it is in the city.
    BlogHer sounds like it was great, but I completely hear you when you say there is no place like home. I am always so glad to come home after I travel, even if I’ve travelled with my husband and the kids. LOL! Take care.

13. kisha says:

Maybe it’s because I grew up in the Bay Area but Alcatraz doesn’t seem creepy to me. Maybe I’ve been there to many times, lol. And yeah it’s cold, just because the weather says it’s 80 doesn’t mean it’s warm, lol. Glad to hear that you are safe and sound at home. Enjoy the family.

14. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) says:

Oh girl – i am soooo sorry to hear about how long it took you to get home. JUST BRUTAL! We had a couple hour delay and that was it.
    Hanging out with you and the other ladies was just fabulous!
    Thanks for letting us interview you too. I can’t wait to see the finished product. πŸ™‚

15. Ann @ Holy Experience says:

Smiling knowing you are happily circled in love and those home fires, Shannon… Ain’t it the call of our hearts: There is no place like Home. One day at a time, every day, we journey closer to that forever perfect joy and Him!
    With love…

16. Fran says:

I was following you on twitter. I was addicted because I was getting a little worried about you as you attempted to get home.
    Sleep never felt so good did it?! πŸ™‚

17. Nicole says:

Oh good, because I thought I was the only conservative, Protestant WAHM there! But it was fun to meet so many people from so many walks of life. The highlight for me, though, was Lori’s diner. Sitting down face to face with other moms was unbeatable, even by parties, yummy food and lots of swag. Glad to have met you! πŸ˜‰

18. Natalie (BSM Media) says:

It was so great to meet you this weekend in the hotel lobby! I’m sure we will be working together on various items in the future. But I did want to mention… I also had to buy a sweatshirt! Who knew it was that cold. Or like you said, even if we knew, who would have believed it! July + California = COLD!! I still have a hard time believing it and I was there πŸ™‚