I Left My Self In San Francisco

It’s Tuesday morning.  You might think I’d be home from San Francisco by now.

But you would be wrong.

I’m supposed to be home, but a bizarre set of airport delays straight out of The Twilight Zone grounded us for another night.  Sleeping on the floor at our gate was a very real possibility for a while.  Finally, the airline agreed to put us in a hotel, thanks in large part to Melanie‘s willingness to use The Look.  (And, may I say, hooray for Southwest for doing the right thing, although–and you might want to step back so I can yell this–PERHAPS AN EVEN BETTER SOLUTION WOULD BE TO AVOID TWO-AND-A-HALF-HOUR BAGGAGE-CHECK LINES IN THE FIRST PLACE.)

There.  I feel better.  (Actually, as long as I’m shouting, may I send a GIANT SHOUT OF PROFOUND GRATEFULNESS TO MY MOTHER, WHO IS RESCUING US FROM THE CHILDCARE EMERGENCY.)

Now I’m done.

This morning, at the crack o’ dawn, we woke up and headed back to the aiport for another go at this deal, and mercifully, we made it out.  (Although, interestingly, it has turned out that plane crashes and earthquakes have not been my enemies on this trip–it turns out I should have been fearing menacing, plan-altering FOG).  I’m writing now from the Phoenix airport, where we will be spending many hours today happily enjoying the (free! free! everybody cheer for Phoenix!) internet access.

Since I have so much time to kill, I thought I’d upload a few of my photos from yesterday.

Here are several of the now empty shampoo bottles from our hotel.  I am not kidding, no matter what kind of souvenir I bought for my daughter, this will be the thing she is the most excited I brought home.  Her little collection of random plastic containers is surely taking over our house:

Monday6

We did a little window shopping.  This colorful display came from a little shop that sells only Swiss chocolates.  I’m thinking that might be a very fine place to work:

Monday7

Look at these pretty little soaps:

Monday8

The entrance to Chinatown:

Monday3

I think this was the most colorful place I’ve ever been in my life:

Monday2

Monday5

Monday4

Monday9

Monday10

A kite store, which is what my children would’ve wanted as a souvenir from Chinatown, although instead they’re getting chopsticks, because I am a big spender like that:

Monday1

Signing out for now, with sincere hopes that this evening will find me cuddled on my couch at home with my peeps.

47 thoughts on “I Left My Self In San Francisco

1. Melessa says:

I’ve been following your saga since it began, I can’t believe you aren’t home yet! I’ll keep my fingers crossed and my parayer lines open until you are.

2. Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) says:

Shannon, I am sooooo sorry to hear how long it is taking you to get home… How frustrating!
    Aren’t delays caused by ill-managed check-in lines THE most annoying reason for delayed flights. When my family was coming back from Italy last year, the long line, staffed by only two check-in clerks, threw off our entire trip home and it took us 22 hours to get home. (They also lost our stroller, which really improved my 22 hour journey as a 5 month pregnant mother of an exhausted and fussy 2 year old.)
    We had a delay of a few hours getting out of San Francisco because of the fog, but we did get home before bedtime — thankfully!
    It was so fantastic meeting you and hanging out at BlogHer. I do hope you get home soon so that the memories of the conference won’t be permanently plagued by the memories of your journey home.

3. Sarah @ Short Stop says:

Hooray for free internet access. It gets me happy dancing whenever I find it somewhere.
    The bottles: My 3 year-old boy would love those, too. Of course, he’d be trapping bugs and slugs and other random creatures in them, but they trump just about any other toy.
    Welcome (almost) home!

4. Cecily says:

Fabulous pictures.
    I love the plastic bottles. I collected tiny plastic boxes of various colors when I was about 8. It was all the rage. I still love little boxes and containers.

5. Octamom says:

Great pics! So glad that you’re a few clicks closer to home. Love the ‘bottle’ collection–we have a trial size hoarder around here who has definitely found Nirvana in her daddy’s frequent travels!
    Tossing up a wish and a prayer for you here that you are back to your cuddlin’ spot soon!
    Blessings!

6. Helen says:

Your pictures make me want to go there!!!
    Truthfully, held up in an airport…BY MY SELF!!! sounds like heaven!!! Am I wrong to think like that?!?!?!

7. Mel @ A Box of Chocolates says:

Aren’t airports and airliners the greatest?? I cannot believe that you are just returning. At least you got to enjoy your free internet access. Hope you get home safe and sound sometime this week ๐Ÿ™‚ The pictures are so bright and colorful. Thanks for sharing.

8. Cheri says:

Yikes…but I’m glad your going to be home…soon.
    I am TOTALLY inspired by your shot of the cathedral in Chinatown. I’m thinking that in B&W would be fantastic for my boys rooms.

9. Jenny in Ca says:

oh my, I really feel for you. At least you have internet…
    I have to say that nothing says “friendly skies” like being patted down in a German airport…and being happy about it, because at least you are not stuck in a 3 hour line in Heathrow…. I decided LAX is not such a bad place.
    I pray you get home soon!

10. Desiree Rutter says:

I’ve been hearing some yucky stuff coming from airport terminals lately with a few of my flying friends. I will pray that you will make it home safely and as quickly as possible to your little bambinos!!

11. Sarah says:

I love the pictures!
    This is off topic, but I have for some unknown reason connected the title of your blog with the song Knights in White Satin, and every time I go to your site I sing Rocks in My Dryer to the tune of Knights in White Satin. It is very annoying.

12. Lisa says:

I love Chinatown. I love all of the colors and most of the smell. The rush is intoxicating. I love the huge tubs of the bright gold fish for sale. Thanks for sharing your photos. Here’s to hoping you make it home tonight.

13. CC says:

I love SF Chinatown!
    and I HATE the lines at all the bay area airports! I arrive 3 hours before my flight so I don’t miss it!

14. dana says:

I missed Chinatown. Too many things to do and so little time. I’m considering a trip back with my husband, just to tour the neighborhoods I didn’t get to see.
    Sorry to hear you had to sleep on the floor of the airport. I did as well, due to a four hour layover in Minneapolis. It sucked. The floors are darn cold, lemme tell ya!

15. Kim N says:

Okay, that chocolate shop had to be Teuschers Chocolate. Oh. My. Goodness. There used to be one in Seattle right by my work and it was my weakness and my regular indulgence. The champagne truffles are HEAVENLY! I am so sad they closed the shop here…although, I am much better off financially because of it. I even blogged about them a few months ago.

16. Linda says:

I always wanted to buy kites like that for the kids many years ago. Not sure if I did it in the end or not. I don’t think so.
    My uncle took me to the China Town in Melbourne as a teenager and bought me a couple of things I treasure still. I loved your photo of China Town. My husband loved San Francisco.
    Here is our china town:

17. Elizabeth says:

Find soaps like that at Handmade in Fayetteville. Chopsticks rock!! I’m convinced that they are the reason that the Japanese have such very beautiful handwriting. We use chopsticks almost every day at our house. We also now take our shoes off before entering the house. Do you know how much vacuuming time that saves? ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Kelly says:

Good gravy, those pictures make me actually want to go to San Francisco – a place I have never desired to go. Add to that the desire to attend a BlogHer conference and I believe I’m ready to hit the road. Next year of course.
    Thanks for sharing!