;alskdjb vjlk4u5p8j …Sorry, I Fell Asleep On the Keyboard For a Second…

I’m tired.  Sleeping with an octopus for three nights will do that to a girl.

Not sleeping with an actual octopus–it’s just a little code between Hubs and me.  The mafia has "sleeping with the fishes," and the Dryers have "sleeping with an octopus."  It means that one of children–usually the youngest–has wanted a sleep partner.  And the way our kids sleep, that means that it’s not that unlikely to find an elbow in your eye or finger up your nose or foot in your groin at 3 am.

You know, like sleeping with an octopus.

Corrie has been the child in need of sleeping help lately.  There was the whole Sinister Flush of Death incident (which really rattled her), followed by a couple of days of spotty thunderstorms, all of which sprung up while she was sleeping.  So she awakened to the sounds of water banging into her window and would screech in horror, "CARWASH!"  (Carwashes are second only to automatic flushes on Corrie’s Scale of Horrible Things.)

Now the child is evidently convinced (with the logic only a two year old can supply) that whenever she sleeps, we hitch our house to a large truck and haul it through the automatic car wash.  She will NOT sleep.  She will sit in her bed and alternately cry and point at the window, convinced the "car wash" must be coming soon.

As irrational as it is, the poor child is terrified, and she will only rest when I’m next to her.  And by "next to her" I mean "sleeping with at least two parts of her body wrapped around two parts of mine."  Last night she fell asleep with her leg around my waist, her arm around my neck, and our foreheads touching.  Because her face is much smaller than mine, that means she was exhaling up my nose every time she breathed.

But you know what?  I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  Nights like the last few are hard, but there’s a real and simple joy in knowing I can solve her problems so easily.  The moment I crawl in her bed and that chubby little body grabs on to mine, her fear is instantly gone.  Problem solved

These are good days.

This post was originally published on June 5, 2007.

28 thoughts on “;alskdjb vjlk4u5p8j …Sorry, I Fell Asleep On the Keyboard For a Second…

1. Emily says:

As much as I complain about lack of sleep and not getting to sleep diagonal across my bed in a spread eagle anymore, I know these days will be gone all too fast.
    This is very sweet. Love the exhaling up the nose 🙂

2. Mrs Lemon says:

As I am currently not getting any sleep right this second because of my own personal octopus, I can relate. Except that now he’s sleeping and I’m wide awake.

3. Cheri says:

We call our son “Blender Boy” because of his nightly movements! In fact, we just went camping and he complained that his sleeping bag didn’t allow him to move around very much. He’s 12 and I’m starting already to pray for his futre wife and her obvious sleep deprivation!

4. Deborah says:

I enjoy reading your blog. I’ve bookmarked you in my favorites. I am writing to invite you to join in the fun at the blog my sister-in-law and I keep…The Chocolistas.
    We, The Chocolistas, are holding a Name That Chocolate Dessert Contest…August 4 – 16….with prizes! We’d love for you to participate.
    Come and join the fun!
    Deborah
    thechocolistas.blogspot.com

5. Cindy says:

I smiled when I read this. I remember the days well, and wish at times I could go back. It is so easy to fix their problems at that age. Cherish each moment.
    Enjoy the rest of your summer break.
    Hugs!

6. Dana says:

That is hilarious and touching at the same time Shannon. I wonder what scares her so much about the water (car wash) thing? I guess it is the abrasive sound it makes….probably just startles her. Yea, I sometimes complain when my kid needs me, but the thought that the day will come when he doesn’t need me really scares me!

7. Tanna says:

Last night was the first night my 21 month old has slept through the night in the past 3 weeks. I feel your pain. After 7 years of parenting I have had many sleep deprived nights, I too would not trade it for the world. They will be more independent and no longer in need of cuddles way too soon.
    Who needs sleep anyways! 🙂

8. Ren says:

I just wanted to say thank you! I have a 10 month old who needs to be cuddled back to sleep at 2am some nights (most nights lately, teething). It’s so nice to hear that I’m not the only one who doesn’t mind (too much) making it better with hugs, even during the wee hours of the morning.

9. Anissa says:

I have a two year old and I know what you mean — I always taking a foot out of my mouth. But, I love cuddling with him before to long he will want to sleep in his own bed and not with mommy.

10. A&EMom says:

My E had some car wash terror, too. We talked a lot about what happens in the car wash and how we’re safe in our car and that someday, someday, she’d be brave enough to go back in. One day she decided she was and we had a Car Wash Party with ice cream while all the horror went on outside.
    Now she begs to go – even in the rain.

11. Rachel says:

I think any mom out there will sympathize with your-tired-but-loving-every-minute-of-it-because-you-know-before-you-know-it-it-will-NOT-be-cool-to-sleep-with-mom, at least I do 🙂 Praying you do get a moment for a nap though!!

12. Lynnet says:

Awwwwwwww! Oh, this just brings back memories in a flood, but I never thought of it as sleeping with an octopus! Nothing like a tiny foot in the side or feeling their breathing on your face!!! Love it! Love Blender Boy as well! Do I have a reason for my sleep deprevation??? Yep! Kids have been replaced by hubby’s freight train snoring, and cat trying to find a comgy place on my body pillow. I know it’s hard to do, but cherish those times, because they are fleeting!

13. Brandi says:

I know the feeling. When I was about 8 months pregnant and someone asked “What are you having?” I always answered “An octopus.” It feels like that some days, doesn’t it?

14. Gidget says:

My husband and I are pretty much anti-cosleeping. But those special occasions where there’s been a little one (ours hasn’t reached octopus-size yet) between us, have been so sweet. I think keeping it as a “special occasion” makes me feel like it’s a sweet interruption rather than an annoyance of all the time. Plus it keeps our bed as a sort of “sanctified mommy & daddy place” which we like most of the time. It’s such a privileged and blessing to be the one that makes all those fears go away, huh?

15. jaime says:

My two year old has rated the car wash just behind the vacuum and food processor/blender on her scale of horrific things. It’s amazing that she hasn’t equated our torrential rain with the car wash–yet she loves to watch them, but only nestled in either Mama’s or Dada’s lap.
    We have our own little octopus and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Although the finger in the nose at 3am is definitely challenging my patience 🙂

16. Jen says:

Ha at the flush of death… I’m a Pre-K teacher, and at my old school we had automatic flushing toilets. At the beginning of every year I had to teach them that they were magic toilets and would not in fact suck them down. Some were still terrified. It made for lots of clothes changes…

17. Kathy C. says:

I miss the octopus days. 😦 As much as it does make you feel as though you will suffocate, we all have to admit that octopus breath is cute and refreshing at times. 🙂

18. elsie says:

i chuckled when i read your post, i too sleep with an octopus. actually this octopus has been sleeping with me since birth. and she has developed an ear fetish. every night she “needs” to rub my ear lobe not sure why but it seems comforting for her. and btw, no one else’s ear is good enough for her — love that :o) so i am enjoying every minute that this octopus sleeps beside me because i know in time she will want to grow up and sleep in her own bed…