And May God Have Mercy On Us All

Guess who joined our family this week?

Below is Sylvia.  She’s clearly the most level-headed of the group–the boss rat, if you will.

Sylvia

Next is Robin.  She’s the most mellow, a bit of a poetic soul.  She enjoys long walks on the beach and sniffing her friends’ poop:

Robin

Rat #3 is Nellie.  She is a complete head case:

Nellie1

Below is Hubs attempting to talk Nellie through a little rat panic attack.  We are watching her closely and have taken away her shoelaces and pocket knife.  You can’t be too careful:

Nellie2

Additionally, Nellie sneezes a lot, which means we’re probably all about to get the Black Death.

The Great Rat Adventure of ’07, ’08, and oh-sweet-Heaven-please-not-into-’09 only took place after the Dryer boys signed the document below (feel free to click to enlarge for detail, should you ever be in need of a rat pledge yourself):

Ratpledge

The quote of the day came from Stephen.  As the salesgirl was helping us check out, she pointed out that each rat costs $7.  "Wow!" Stephen shouted.  "How are you able to price them so low?"

He’s definitely not the person to take with you to a used car lot.

And never mind that if we just headed down into the sewer, we could get the rats for free.

Originally posted on December 6, 2007

40 thoughts on “And May God Have Mercy On Us All

1. Louise says:

That is a great pledge. But I’m with the above commenter–I really don’t think I could ever let rats into our home. Unless they were Muppet rats. Preferably accompanied by Gonzo.

2. Karen says:

Oh, watch that sneezing…. in fact, you might want to quarantine Nellie and/or take her back to the store. One of our rats had the sneezing thing right after we got her and they kept her at the store on antibiotics. Even with that, she didn’t last but a few weeks. Our other rat we got at the same time lived over 2 years.

3. Beth @ A Quest for Relevance says:

Hamsters I can handle (until they escape while you are on vacation and meet an untimely death in your toilet. Seriously!)
    But rats?
    Oh no. Those will not be in my house unless they sneak in without my knowledge (and NOT in a pet store box, either!)

4. Judy says:

We got a feral hamster about a month ago – he/she bites and we’re going to have to tackle that bridge with a batting glove or oven mitt and soon. I did tell my son, though, that should the hamster escape, he/she is then upgraded to Rat/Mouse and will be treated as such, lol.
    I think it is the tail. That’s what freaks me out the most about them (rats and mice…hamsters don’t have tails).

5. Carrie of Ceaseless Praises says:

Oh, my word. That Rat Pledge is HILARIOUS! I love the line about keeping the playroom clean so it is a pleasant home for the rats- way to sneak that in there! πŸ™‚
    We had a pet rat when I was in junior high- he was so funny. But he got so fat, that he couldn’t clean his own back anymore, and we tried to give him a bath, and you have never heard anything that sounds like a rat that doesn’t want a bath, trust me. πŸ™‚ We didn’t try that again.

6. Octamom says:

Herein was the mistake I made when we adopted the dauschaund/pomeranian mix puppies (which I have oh-so-graciously offered to you…)–I didn’t use a binding legal document outlining the agreement with the designated dog-caretakers, i.e., the children who had been begging, begging, begging for dogs (only to then discover -SHOCK- that they were going to have to be fed EVERYDAY and taken out EVERYDAY and walked EVERYDAY)–so I may need to contact my attorney and have one of these agreements drawn up—-;o)
    Love the contract!!!
    Blessings!

7. Melissa says:

I love your contract!!! I am so making one of those next time we have new pets. I let my son bring home 2 snakes last month and made him “verbally” promise a lot of things, but when it came down to it, he wasn’t taking good care of them… I was the mean mommy and we let the snakes go.

8. Heather says:

I had two pet rats as teenagers- Cat Food and Dog Food, because we were sure that’s what they would become! πŸ™‚ (They didn’t- they both had long, happy rat lives.)
    Although there’s always going to be people that think they’re absolutely disgusting, they’re so smart and really make great pets. I hope your kiddos enjoy their new pets- and stick to that contract! πŸ™‚

9. LadyCiani says:

In regards to the question of are you sure they’re girls – trust me my sister had several rats, and if those are males they won’t be hiding it AT ALL!
    Females are much cuter that way, with the lack of anatomy. The males are pretty obvious and hairless there, even at a young age.

10. Annie says:

Uh, yeah – no rats or other rodents in my house, either. Cats and dogs – *those* are pets. Not sure about anything else, lol πŸ˜‰ Well, maybe birds, but I’m allergic to those.
    The contract is great. I shoulda made my kids sign one when we brought home the cats.
    ~ Annie

11. Cheri says:

Yeah, guinea pigs just about did me in. Three died before we got two “keepers.” The kids wanted them so bad and I ended up doing all the work. Sound familiar? Here’s how I got rid of them:
    Kids begging for cat.
    Can’t have cat if gp cage has no top.
    Mom did not want cat on top of two dogs and two gp’s.
    Mom sought counsel from God and came up with brilliant plan.
    Sell guinea pigs.
    Each kid gets $100 after sale of gp’s.
    No, they weren’t worth that much.
    $$ is on condition they never bring up a cat again.
    They fell for, I mean bought, it.
    We are miraculously down to one dog.
    I am not replacing her when it’s her time.
    I am tired.
    πŸ™‚

12. Faye says:

Having grown up on a farm, I have a very healthy fear of rats and never has one EVER been allowed into my home….no matter how much begging!! Nor have Guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, etc. *shudder*

13. LifeatTheCircus says:

I am def keeping that contact in mind for the future (my kids are 4, 2, and 1 now so a bit young for this) I don’t see myself going for rats but I am sure some sort of pet besides our beloved dog Maggie will be asked to join the Circus and this contract is a brilliant idea.

14. Elizabeth says:

My great-aunt used to own a pet store and she had rats, including a hairless. She says if you live in an apartment where you can’t keep dogs and you like dogs, then you should get a rat, because they have personalities like dogs.

15. Jenn says:

Ohhh…I had a rat when I was a kid. I LOVED him. He would come when I called him. We let him run around sometimes. I’ve often thought of getting another.
    Enjoy them.

16. jennife says:

i love this post! if we ever get some disgusting animal, i will definitely keep that in mind!
    hope that you’re enjoying your break! we’ll be glad wehn you’re back!