She Sings

For my daughter, life is one big Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.  At any moment, she will burst into song about what is going on RIGHT THEN.

But these are not the trite songs of preschool-hood–oh, no.  She has "Twinkle, Twinkle" and "The Wheels On the Bus" in her repertoire, but Corrie’s songs are original.  She is an artist, by gosh, and she must create

When she plays with her dollhouse, she sings a song about a dollhouse.  When we’re in the car, she sings about the car.  When she sees my cell phone, she sings a song about a chicken.

I have no idea, either.

Yesterday, she was playing in the bath while I got ready, and the moment was just right for another song burst.  "Jesus wuvs me and Momma is hungwy," she sang, mastering two important eternal truths in one fell swoop.

The one that has me puzzled, though, is a song in which she sings over and over in an aching voice, "When I was safe…"

When she was safe?  I love the way fellow grocery patrons look at me when she sings that one.  I mean, it’s very tortured and Les-Miserable-esque of her, but she is, after all, only two years old

Evidently all the unconditional love and nurturing has pushed our girl to the very brink of despair.

This post was originally published on September 25, 2007.

32 thoughts on “She Sings

1. Minnesotamom says:

Sounds like a little kid version of my father. He would make up rhyming songs with my name in them on the spot, or insert my name into random oldies’ songs. πŸ™‚

2. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

My four year old girl is THE SAME way – the song can be about anything from vegetables to cartoons to getting married (??) to a relative she met once when she was 2. LOL And, she. never. ever. stops….ever!

3. carlyn says:

The singing preschoolers … its a wonder no one has made an album of the songs they come up with! Marriage, ponies, care bears, Lumpy (you know, from Winnie-The-Pooh) … all are favorites of my 3, almost 4, yo. She loves to sing and dance and tumble and ask “wh-a”, to which we ignore until she says “why”. And now … a new issue … “my stomach hurts” … but only when she wants to get out of doing something … like eating or taking a nap.

4. suburbancorrespondent says:

She sounds like Francis! You know, the Francis books? Bread and Jam For Francis springs to mind immediately: all the songs she sings to the food she doesn’t like…
    And maybe she was channeling a bit of Gershwin: “Daddy’s rich, and your Momma’s good-lookin’…”

5. D'Anna says:

One of my favorite stories about my 2 yr old also has to do with being “safe.”
    One day she was playing – stuffed her favorite backpack full of toys and then went and stood at the door.
    She called out, “Bye Mama!”
    I asked, “Where are you going, Sophi?”
    She answered, “To Egypt.”
    I thought . . . who do we know is going to Egypt?
    I asked, “Why are you going to Egypt?”
    Sophi answered, “Cuz I’ll be SAFE there!”
    She remembered the story about God sending Joseph, Mary and Jesus to Egypt to keep them safe – and she was going with them!
    Now, we really do love her and keep her very safe here in our family! : )

6. Carrie @ Three-Girl Circus says:

Oh my word…I have three girls under four and sometimes I think my head will explode from all the singing. And if they’re not singing, they’re talking…oh the talking. When I can’t take it anymore I say “Ok, no more singing or talking for five minutes…Mommy need five minutes, please.” You guessed it, they start humming!

7. Laura V. says:

My 4 year old son is such an expert at making up these random songs that we had him make up “the potty song” for his 2 year old brother! It’s about actually using the potty and how wonderful it is and is quite amusing when they both sing it together when little bro. is on the potty!! I do say that his songs sound just like your daughter’s, totally random and about whatever he’s thinking about or looking at at that very moment!!

8. Tiffanie says:

My kidos sing too. My favorites come from the two year, trying his best to mimic his older brothers. We can generally make out which song he is trying to sing, but it’s in a version all his own.
    Cute post!

9. Kara @ Me-Moddy says:

I am laughing out loud right now and read your post to my visiting family. “When I was safe” sounds like an absolutely lovely song to sing to torture her mother in public. That’s hilarious.
    Happy parenting.

10. Lisa says:

Cute post. My four year old has been “singing” up a storm the past few weeks, but with no words. It’s like a tortured cat part of the time. When I said no more singing she started humming really loud. New rule….no singing at the dinner table.

11. Corrie says:

So I followed a link on Swallowing a Moose to your blog and was struck by a couple of things:
    1.Your posts are laugh-out-loud funny. Thanks for brightening my day.
    2.Your Corrie’s name is spelled the same way as mine.(I was named after Corrie ten Boom after my mom and dad heard her speak when they were in college.)Consequently I would be more than delighted if life were a musical!
    Thanks again.

12. Jill (CDJ) says:

I love the songs they make up at this age. My three year old takes the tunes of familiar songs and adds his own words, based on what’s going on. It’s quite clever actually, how he fits new words into an old tune. Amazing little minds, huh?

13. Elisabeth says:

Corrie sounds like my kindred spirit. When I was six, my dad introduced me to Les Mis and from then until the age of 10-11 when I discovered that I probably was never going to be able to do such a thing, I wanted to sing Young Cosette’s part on Broadway.
    And then I turned into an alto/mezzo. So I get stuck with tragedy wherever I look. Eponine, anybody?
    And life would absolutely rock as one big musical. Seriously.

14. Amy says:

My goodness, that’s too funny. My stepdaughter is the same way; she sings songs like crazy about anything and everything. About 8 months ago I was going to record her singing different songs and make a CD of it to give to her when she’s grown up. I thought it’d be a neat idea; but I haven’t thought of a way to do it that wouldn’t horribly embarrass her to receive!

15. Chelsea Bass says:

I am told that as a child, I was much the same way. I did not sing, however, but made up outrageous stories about everything.
    Supposedly, I once told my grandmother that my mom and dad left me at home by myself to go to a bar and then when they got home they burned me with cigarettes. NO IDEA where I got that from. My parents were great!

16. chrissie says:

My daughter loves to sing, “I’ll always love you, I’ll never leave you. I’ll always come for you.” I have no idea where she picked up these ideas.

17. Sydni says:

I almost laughed out loud at work. Her poor tortured 2-year-old soul! My sister was exactly the same way as a kid. My house had a strict “no singing at the dinner table” rule because of her. It’s hard to have conversations when someone is doing a kiddie Broadway revue.

18. Vicky says:

Laughing so hard there are tears in my eyes… when I WAS safe… oh my.
    My friend’s 2 year old sings all the time too. But a lot of her songs are still in gibberish. Now I’m a bit scared of what it’s going to be like when she switches to easy-to-understand English…

19. Shannon says:

My 3 year old daughter is a singer too. She makes up words to tunes that she already knows. Mostly country music. She sings them in the right pitch and key and keeps beat very well. My husband who is the music minister for our church thinks his “princess” is “absolutely amazing”. It is really funny to listen to her put whatever situation we are in to music and belt it out.

20. Olivia says:

Haha, that is really cute. I just picked up your blog off a random internet adventure; I’m quite liking it. Little kids do the weirdest things. I was much the same way when I was a wee one. My brother, sister, and I all used to make up absolutely ridiculous lyrics for everything. My favourite happened whenever we got out of the car at night. We’d look up at the sky and whisper “Stars.. stars… stars… ” over and over and then burst into a long note, then squeal and run into the house.

21. Jenn says:

lol, my 3 year old daughter does the same thing. her newest song is one I wish she would take to heart…”when you are tooooold to do something, you must doooooo it”
    Yeah, that would be nice my dear πŸ™‚

22. Dawn says:

LOL! My just turned 3yo is the same – tonight for a bedtime song she sang me about Cinderella and a man put her in a cage and then the man was dead (‘was dead was dead was dead’) and then he went in her cage. I’m trying not to reach for the phone and schedule her counselling now, lol.

23. Moon HalloranLeady says:

OMG!!!! I did exactly that when I was a kid. My mom said I drove her absolutely CRAZY with all the singing and whatnot. It didn’t help that I was hearing impaired until I had an operation at the age of three.
    But you know what? I grew up, went to college and got a BA in the Theatre. I worked for 7 years doing professional dinner theatre and through two pregnancies.
    I now work in the corporate world, but I also sing and write my own songs and play guitar and perform them out publicly. That’s my “real” life.” LOL But I’m perfectly happy sitting in the bedroom making up songs with my guitar that no one will ever hear.
    I also write blogs (duh) have written tons of poetry, stories, and would love to be formulating an idea for a novel…and I don’t care if it ever gets published. I just like to write.
    And sing.
    And make up songs πŸ™‚
    Take it from the little girl who sang about *everything* — encourage that in your daughter. She will go places. I don’t know her but I see her in me πŸ™‚