Tea for Two

Corrie and and I had a real-live tea party, complete with my grandmother‘s teacups (a creamer makes an excellent teapot for little hands):

Teaparty

I worried about Corrie accidentally dropping them, but only for about two seconds.  Because then I thought about how much my grandmother would’ve loved this.

48 thoughts on “Tea for Two

1. Donna says:

We love having tea parties! My two-year-old grasps her teacup with both chubby hands, trying to be dainty and failing adorably!
    The kids love helping to bake something ahead of time (usually a simple cookie recipe) and then choose their tea flavor. It’s a big deal around here!

2. Angie says:

Oh how fun! As Sue Bender says in her book, Plain and Simple, “Things are made to be used, not revered.” What a delightful memory you’ve just made with your daughter.

3. Valerie says:

Some of my sweetest memories are of when my now teenaged daughter and I would have little tea parties. Even now, she and I often cuddle with a cuppa chammomile, and discuss important life events. We typicall brew a pot in my Mom’s antique tea set, and nibble on biscoti or tarts. What a blessing that you’re sharing this with your daughter!

4. Ann Voskamp (Holy Experience) says:

This brought tears.
    Each time I steep a pot of tea in my grandmother’s china, I think of how I’d give anything for her to sit with these girls of mine and sip laughter and dancing eyes and just a bit of an afternoon together.
    So we’ll steep these days in memories and know our grandmothers would smile.
    All’s grace,
    Ann

5. Hope@Pinkadoodledoo says:

I LOVE your teaset! I’ve been looking for a set to start doing teaparties with my girls. (5,4,2) I may have to ask around and see if any family members have one as an heirloom. The older ones are so much prettier! I want to start doing teaparties as a tradition that is our special time together as girls and carry it into their adulthood!

6. marni says:

Gorgeous set!
    My mom gave me her antique sugar and creamer set with pink flowers on it when I first got married, and I broke the lid in half within a week or so…without kids. I ended up gluing the two halves together with a few teenie chips missing, and it gets used anyway. Sometimes I like to imagine that the items (whether it’s an antique dish or quilt or chair) have thoughts, and like to think that they’d be thrilled to have a grandchild actually touching and using them, rather than being bored sitting on a shelf and collecting dust, and that helps me to go ahead and use them.

7. Louise says:

I love the idea of afternoon tea, and always have (I think I’m really from nineteenth-century England, somehow accidentally born in a modern American body). I can’t wait until my little girl’s old enough for tea parties!

8. Susan says:

Very precious. I want to have a tea party this week with some friends. Thanks for reminding me to take the time to make memories with people young and old. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Miche says:

OH that is so cute!! I bet that was fun! That would be the fun part of having a girl….this morning my son proceeded to slam his trains together over and over…delightful and fun to participate in, but also scary!

10. Christine says:

AWWWWW! How cute! You know, I LOVE a good tea party but have been a little leary of gettin’ out the good stuff with the my girls. Perhaps I should just DO IT and think about how much my grandmother would have loved it too ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks for the inspiration!! I mean, why in the world did I have girls if I couldn’t dress em up and do ultra-girly stuff with em!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Crystal (Koekje Mom) says:

Aw, so sweet. That’s why I need to have a girl, trying to get the boys to have a tea party with me would never happen, unless of course it was a dirt party and their optimus prime action figures were invited!
    Crystal-

12. MrsNehemiah says:

My parents bought my grandma a set of china for her anniversary. it was the first complete set of dinnerware that she ever had (that didn’t come from a gas station)
    I was the first person to break one of her plates.
    even though she was so proud of those dishes & really loved the gift. she took me aside and gave me a present.
    she told me not to tell anyone, but she “never really liked those plates anyway”(this was a downright fib)
    as an adult I can look back and see the love that she had for me far outweighed the pleasure she had in her china.
    MrsN

13. BecauseImTheMommy says:

I absolutely adore this! When we found out our last one was a girl, we instantly thought tea party baby shower. The little girls LOVED it! I can’t wait to throw one for my daughter when she’s older.

14. Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart says:

I have some odds and ends of my grandmother’s china tea cups. I use the cups to hold my jewelry and the saucers are hanging on my daughter’s wall. She died when I was only seven, but I have a feeling she would like knowing they were being enjoyed rather than stuck forgotten in a cupboard somewhere.

15. MamaHenClucks says:

What a sweet memory you are creating for your little girl! We have one of great grandmas tea cups and I bring it out when one of the chickies has a bad day and needs to sit and chat about it. We sip coffee (mostly sugar and cream for them) and by the time we’re done, the drama is over.

16. shannon says:

You are absolutely right. What is the point of having lovely things if you don’t use them, and how do children learn if you don’t give them a chance to experience new things. BTW your Grandmother’s china is lovely.

17. Anissa@Hope4Peyton says:

Oh that is so awesome. We do the same thing, with cups my grandmother handed down. She actually told me – You use these with your girls, they’re just cups, let them have fun with them. We’ve broken several, I mourned the little bit of my grandmother that was gone from my life. But then the next time we had “tea time” I would realize Grandma gave me a lot more than cups to share with my girls.

18. Arcadia says:

That teaset is gorgeous! I remember ‘borrowing’ my mums teacups to have tea parties with my granddad when I was a kid. Naturally, she freaked out when she caught us! ‘Tea Time’ is such an english thing, and yet, despite being english – all my tea is drunk out of mugs, not cups. I admit to dragging out the teaset when my Grandma comes over though. There are times when mugs just won’t DO. x