After a Politically-Charged Week, Let Us Unwind by Discussing Nasal Passages

A couple of weeks ago I got The Plague.  And by "The Plague", I mean a "summer cold".  An over-statement, perhaps, but have you had a summer cold lately?  It will knock a girl out.  Mine was made all the more lovely by the fact that it occurred when my husband was out of town on business.  Needless to say, it was a free-for-all of Domino’s and DVDs at my house.  The kids loved it, although I have to say that I missed, you know, breathing

My sweet new bloggy friend Patsy told me that what I really needed was a neti pot.  She promised it was a sure remedy of The Plague, and that my beleagured nasal passages would thank me.  I trust Patsy on matters of spiritual significance, so I figured I could certainly trust her regarding mucous removal.

The problem was, I had no idea what a neti pot was.  So I Googled it.

Oh, my word.  This is what I found (and really, you have to watch at least the first half of this video before you read any further):

First of all, let me just say that whatever the neti pot people were paying that actress, it wasn’t enough.  I can think of several things I would put on my list of Things I Don’t Want The Internet To Watch Me Do, and topping the list would certainly be flushing snot out of my nose.

But I was desperate for relief, so the first thing the next morning, I loaded the kids into the van and went to Walgreens, in my pajamas.  I have never done that in my entire life, and I’m sure that my Southern grandmother was rolling in her grave.

(And strangely enough, the Walgreens check-out guy pointed at my pants and asked, "Pajamas?"  And I wanted to say, "No, mister, I ALWAYS walk around in faded flannel pants covered with little cows jumping over the moon.  YES, THEY’RE PAJAMAS, and anyway, isn’t this a pharmacy?  Aren’t there bed-ridden sick people coming in here all the time?  Were you really expecting a cocktail dress?"  But I didn’t say all that; I just looked at him sadly and blew my nose.)

Where was I?

Oh yes, the neti pot.  Here’s what mine looks like:

100_2937

I took my new little remedy home and read the instructions.  I was dubious; the whole thing looked to me like something that the Geneva Convention should be debating as a torture procedure.  But if you were paying attention in Western Civ 101, you know that closed-up nasal passages have a long history of driving women to recklessness.

And I went for it.

As a result of my experience, here are some Eternal Neti Pot Truths that I can share with you:

1.  The first few times you do it, you will not be as graceful and calm as the woman in the video.  There will be snorting and coughing and near drowning, and it will not be pretty.

2.  It is best not done in front of an audience, especially an audience of little boys who are fascinated by anything related to body fluids.

3.  But if you reconsider on #2, above, those same little boys will think you are very, very cool.

4.  And?  Remarkably?  It works.  When I finished, there was actual oxygen flowing through my nasal passages.  It was a wonder.

And just when you think that I couldn’t possibly have anything else to say about a little plastic implement designed for snot removal, I will tell you that oh yes, I can.  Because after my first treatment, I set the neti on the counter to dry.  A couple of hours later, I noticed it had disappeared.  I searched, high and low, all through the house.  Finally, I found this in my three-year-old daughter’s room:

Teapot

My sweet little daughter was having a tea party with my snot-removal mechanism.  Oh, I shuddered.

Let’s hope nobody in this family needs a bedpan anytime soon, or My Little Pony may have a questionable new watering hole.

Posted in: Fun

165 thoughts on “After a Politically-Charged Week, Let Us Unwind by Discussing Nasal Passages

1. sherrieb says:

Oh, Shannon you are too funny!!
    And all I could think of when I started to read, was: this post is what she thought of immediately after John McCain’s acceptance speech? (I was reading a little of the live blog.) You MUST be having a rough time!!
    And that actress must not have had a cold!! (But I will look into this lovely apparatus for my hubs this winter. Thankfully my daughter is not old enough to think it might look like a tea pot, although my boys might find some amusing uses!)

2. Chris says:

OH, WHAT A HOOT!
    I have also had the gift of flushing snot from my nasal passages in this manner, and I can’t tell you what a relief it was. I have become a disciple of the neti, yea and verily so.
    I first saw it on (gasp) Oprah, where Dr. Oz was showing some audience member how to use it for the first time. Can you imagine using it ON NATIONAL TELEVISION, much less in front of your own family, for the first time?
    I was shocked. And appalled. And strangely drawn to the screen, because I absolutely HAD to see how that water was going to come out her other nostril…
    I am easily amused.

3. Melanie Glenn says:

Watching the actress go through the motions so calmy and
    serenly was priceless. Can’t wait to share this with my friends so we can have a good laugh together. Thanks.

4. Julie says:

I think I would have to be REALLY bad off before resorting to the Netti Pot. I can hardly stand nose spray let alone actual water flowing in one nostril and out the other. Egads!

5. Emily says:

My mother swears by this thing–she also scrapes her tongue every day! Where do people come up with this stuff? Who wants to pour salt water in their nose. Who wants to scrape old, digesting food off of their tongues?
    Well, I have five children. I’m willing to try just about any crazy thing.

6. Lori says:

Some people in our church swear by those things. My husband, who has a perpetual head cold, tried it out. Let’s just say that he didn’t look quite as graceful as THAT woman. And yes, I’m sure she didn’t get the pay she deserved. But then, perhaps, she got a pay cut for the extremely focused and kind of scary expression.
    I LOVE the fact that yours doubles as a teapot. Ours does not look quite so cute. Good thing I don’t have a daughter or she’d be really jealous of your particular variety.

7. Shane says:

I just finished a summer cold and it was miserable. Plus it lasted WAY too long. But I have to say the neti pot never crossed my mind. I’ve seen them, I know them, I understand them… but I can’t do them! Finally, I did go to Walgreens lately in my pjs. It was evening, no one was home, and I needed a fix of ice cream. And I didn’t care!

8. Amy says:

I currently have a terrible summer cold. The kind that makes you feel like some horrible person came and filled your nasal passages with cement while you were sleeping.
    I may have to zip off to Walgreens in the morning and pick one up.

9. judith says:

I gasped in horror the first time I was told about the Neti Pot, but I was desperate … and I found great relief. After years of being a Neti Pot devotee (and gaining instant “cool” status with the children in my life), I found Neil Med’s Sinus Rinse, which I find much easier to use. And now I wonder how I ever lived my first three decades without sinus irrigation tools! Hope you keep feeling better!

10. Hazel says:

That’s just what I needed. Forget the snot and just laugh at the antics whilst trying to wake up over my first cup of tea in the morning!
    Loved it.
    And I might get desparate enough to try it as I had TWO lots of The Plague this summer (dreary, wet and miserable in England).

11. Kim @ Situationally Single Mom says:

I can’t stop laughing. Thanks so much for my early morning laugh – it was needed. I have never heard of a Neti Pot and I don’t think I’ll be making the investment. I’m afraid of water and the intial snorting, half drowning my send me over the edge!
    Glad it worked!

12. Queen of the Click says:

Wow that is such a cute neti pot. I have the one in the video. And although the neti pot isn’t glamorous, it has provided me great relief as well.
    I love your daughter’s table and chair set. She’s a clever little girl 🙂

13. Adventures In Babywearing says:

Oh dear- I know all about the neti pot but have been suffering from the worst cold the past couple days and this was not on my mind like it should have been. Guess what I’ll be doing today? I’ll let you know how it goes!
    Steph
    (praying baby stays put until my cold is gone!)

14. mimi2six says:

Too funny….my eyes were watering! Um…..I had a tea party with the little ballerina last night…..didn’t notice the dishes……any chance that…..?

15. Kim H. says:

Oh my word – my favorite part of that clip was when the woman said “to avoid unnecessary discomfort, be sure and use the right amount of Neti-pot salt” – that had me a little scared.
    But I’m glad you went for it and it worked for you. I have to say I’d never use it, but in your case, I might break down and actually do it because there’s nothing worse than not being able to breathe freely! 🙂
    Sounds like you’re feeling better – at least your sense of humor part.

16. Traci Best says:

Oh my goodness! I laughed and laughed and laughed. That video was hilarious!…but the ‘teapot’ put me over the edge!
    I hope my sinuses never get that bad! I’ll drown myself for sure!
    LOL
    Traci

17. Dawn W says:

I’ve never heard of such a thing.
    Just wondering – if my nose is completely stopped up… where’s the water going to go? Is this where the choking comes into play??
    And, in a pinch I guess we all now know that a teapot can be substituted. Ha!

18. Sandi says:

This was hiliarious. I laughed out loud. My husband uses one of these and it works for him. He has allergies.
    I like the Zicam sticks also(I call them snot sticks)for obvious reasons! I have not been to the doc for cold or sinus for about 5 years. These things really work, but you have to have them on hand and start using them at the First signs of a cold. Sneezing, Sore throat, Cough etc. I buy them 3 boxes at a time and I keep them everywhere. They Do Work!!!

19. waynette says:

I can not believe I am reading a blog post on the Neti Pot. I just bought one yesterday – on my own – with no one or no ad pushing to do it. I was in Walgreens – with a horrible cold – and not wanting to buy another OTC medicine – I bought the Neti Pot ((the Walgreen’s Brand)). I was not thrilled with sticking something up my nose. I have used it twice and I can say that I am breathing so much better. I am taking antibiotics for a sinus infection plus I have bronchitis. I feel like poo! I was wanting some relief in my head. I had heard from my hippie granola friends that I should try this. I told my dad about it and he said he had been doing this for years.
    just breath slow through your mouth!
    your photo of the pot with your daughter’s toys cracked me up! Your pot does look like a toy.

20. Molly says:

Neti pots sure do work wonders-I can’t believe that I lived 37 years with out the knowledge. Thankfully my husband is a bit more “worldy”.
    (I seriously enjoyed lastnight-thanks again for hosting)

21. Michelle@Life with Three says:

Oh my gosh, I was reading this while eating my cereal and I almost shot milk out of my mouth across the kitchen! lol! I’ve seen that video before. I am glad to hear that it works, although I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to try it…

22. Amanda says:

Please tell me I’m not the only one that finds the shape of the spout…er, intersting?! Seriously, though, they are great. We discovered them after my husband had nasal surgery. It became kind of a game at our house to see what we could flush out of Dad’s nose this time! LOL

23. Hope@Pinkadoodledoo says:

I have never heard of that! I gasped when I saw the video and then was so amused I couldn’t turn it off. Who knew there was such a device.
    I also chuckled when I saw your bright blue “teapot” version compared to the elegant porcelain looking one in the video.
    Thanks for letting us laugh at the expense of your inability to breathe. Have a wonderful Friday, I’ll be showing this to the allergy ridden hubs when he awakens!

24. kelly says:

I don’t even need to purchase a snot removal pot, I just read your blog and shoot snot out of my nose from laughing so hard!!!! Thanks for saving me money!
    See, reading Rocks In My Dryer is good for your sinus health! ( I am a nurse and I approve this message.)
    Kelly S.

25. Brenda says:

This was too funny! Not the part about you being so sick – I do hope you feel better soon – but everything else had me laughing. And the picture of your daughter’s “tea” party was too much!
    Just know that, even when you are sick, you bring much amusement to your readers…
    YAY YOU!!

26. Edwina says:

I saw this on Oprah, Dr Oz actually demonstrated it and I thought I would gag just watching him. Your article was funny and gave me a good start for my day 🙂

27. Reformed Grits says:

I will never drink tea again. Thanks.
    Ok and on a side note, after sinus surgery you have to “irrigate” you sinuses at least SIX TIMES A DAY and I always just used a bulb syringe. I’m sure it told you the key to not getting it down your throat is leaning forward and tilting your head… you want your nose below the horizon… LOL You are welcome. I’m full of snotty advice.

28. TexasTanya says:

Oh! You’ve definitely won the “Cool Mom” award for those boys! I can just imagine how mine would react…
    Excuse me, I’m so busy laughing I think I have coffee coming out of my nose…
    Um, can some one hand me one of those pot thingies? 🙂

29. Janelle says:

Instead of a pot I just use a bulb syringe (aka baby snot sucker) and blow the salt water up into my sinuses. I hate doing it at the time, but it works like charm.

30. Lynn says:

I use something like this too. It works great. I had actually thought of using it for a WFMW but I wasn’t sure people would like to read a post about it. I am glad you did because it is great. It works great when I have sinus infections. Thanks for sharing.

31. Kristin Stratos says:

girl, keep it up or you’ll have to have sinus surgery like I did and talk about not pretty!I have the squeeze bottle type of sinus cleanse and it is much easier, no drowning, coughing and/or/both spitting… good luck and hope you feel better!
    kris

32. Sarah at themommylogues says:

I haven’t used the Neti pot, but I have used the squirty one. Nasal Med or something. Same deal, but it’s more squirt bottle-ish. I was in a desperate place. And it worked — oh yes it did. My recommendation is to do it in the shower. You can wait a few minutes in, so you’ve got the steam working for you. But then no one is watching, you don’t have to try so hard not to make a mess.

33. Fran says:

Somebody else posted something awhile back about this crazy thing and I just read the post with my mouth hanging open and thinking seriously??!!
    I’m so glad it worked for ya though. BC in a month or two or three we will all be emailing you asking…”What was that crazy thing called that got all the snot out of your head??”

34. Lora Lynn says:

We discovered that our kids did it better than us because they yelled the whole time, thus preventing anything from going down the back of their throat. So now, if you just open your mouth, pick a note, and hum “aaaahhhhhhh” while you pour, you won’t drown.
    I think I tweeted this at you, but they also make a syringe that does the same thing. We found it to be even more effective.

35. Rachel says:

Oh my – you had my rolling with the last part there!! Hopefully the tea party had pretend tea so no actual snot-water was consumed 🙂
    I’ve been plagued with sinus troubles the last two years and use something very similar each morning and night. I never thought I’d like squirting water up my nose and hoping for snot to be spewed all over the sink, but it really does make you feel better 🙂

36. Mama Belle says:

OK, you have officially made my day. I laughed and got accurate information about the Neti-pot, which I’ve always wondered about. I may have to give it a try if I get desperate enough. Thanks for the morning laugh.

37. Lynnet says:

Oh, I would have laughed at this, but I just had surgery for deviated septum and sinuses! I wonder if this would help me? I’m calling my doctor today! Thanks for giving us a smile and being open.

38. Alisa says:

It sounds like an evil plot to get us to exercise! Run away.
    Um, my 8 y.o. did this with milk the other day. He said he could breath a lot better afterwards. I was wondering, but now I see the light. I bet it helps with seasonal allergies huh?

39. Mishababy says:

Saw the twitter exchange between you guys about this and am considering getting one for myself. I have allergies and sinus headaches all the time. Another one of my twit peeps read my twit about it and said that it’s fantastic and she hasn’t had any sinus issues in a long time. But I have to say I too watched the video and laughed. Then I read your entry today and saw that your daughter took a interest in the netipot….oh goodness!! Life with little ones!! Thanks for the giggles today!
    Mish

40. Chelsea Bass says:

I have the exact neti pot from the video. It is truly a blessing during cold season. I also suffer from horrible nose bleeds, but this keeps my nasal cavity in good shape.
    I also used it after a recent bout with the stomach flu. It is a good way to flush out the vomit that sometimes comes out of your nose.
    Wow, that’s pretty personal.

41. Liz C. says:

This *has* to be more graceful than my usual method: Saltwater In The Hand, Snork & Spit. That also works, but a bonus teapot sounds like more fun.
    Hope your cold feels better soon!

42. Pat says:

Shannon, you are so funny! I read your blog daily but never comment. My niece swears by this neti pot thing and for the past year has told me over and over I need to get one. So maybe this winter I will try it, although the thought of it just grosses me out.

43. Angela says:

I’ve been irrigating my sinuses for around 7 years now to help with the constant sinus troubles I have. Its great. It feels wonderful. But I hate the “pot” type models.
    My favorite is just the squeeze bottle. Your head can be downward over the sink instead of tilted back falling on your clothes. Its also faster. Mine is made by the same company as your blue neti pot and is the third bottle I’ve had over the years.
    The squeeze bottle is also nice because its easier to keep it from going down your throat when you’re starting out and getting used to things.
    There are also homemade solutions you can get recipes for if you don’t want to use packets. I’ve gotten two recipes from two doctors and the common theme is salt and typically baking soda, one even had liquid glycerin in it. I was told you shouldn’t use table salt, I think because of the iodine, but rather use sea salt. I’d make a big bottle of this every so often and then keep it in the bathroom and rinse every day.

44. Shawna says:

Hilarious! That is just like ours. I have not needed nor been brave enough to use it, but my husband and oldest son say that it works.
    God bless you, your sinus cavities, and your pajama pants. Amen.

45. Kelly says:

Hilarious!
    My husband and I just became neti believers last year. It was his first year as long as we’ve been married that he didn’t need to go on antibiotics for a sinus infection!

46. Jennifer says:

My father in law rinses his nose with the “Sinus Rinse” daily. (Maybe that’s the manly version?) It is also supposed be great for washing allergens out of your nose before they can cause you problems.
    I have seen my husband do this once, and you’re totally right. There is now smooth graceful motions. Gagging, choking, and near death followed.

47. Shawna says:

I love the neti pot but it neve fails that I always end up with snot water all over my shirt and that makes me want to bend over from the sink to the toilet and throw up. Otherwise I think it is a fantastic invention and I love it! The trick to keeping the water out of your throat is doing those he he he he type breathes that they tell you to go guring labor. You know, like short quick exhalations through your mouth. Something about that blocks it from flowing down.

48. Valarie Lea says:

Oh that is the funniest thing I have read today!!! First not only is like self induced drowning, but that lady also was wanting you to do exercises. The tea party thing is priceless. 🙂

49. Gabreial says:

Oh my I laughed until I cried. We’ve been going through the summer cold here all week during my husbands vacation. You would think ahem he had the flu. Either way, I tried the spray nada… maybe I’ll try this now. Thanks for sharing. I also have two little boys so just the right formula!
    Have a great weekend!

50. Jenni Wilson says:

SHANNON! I cannot believe you had the infernal audacity to steal my idea. Ever since I saw that Neti Pot tutorial on YouTube I have been planning to do my own spoof on it. The trouble is, it’s so dang funny as it is, there’s just nothing more to say about it!
    HILARIOUS!!!
    I’m glad you’ve got oxygen again. Oxygen is a good thing.
    I must say, however, that I like the looks of the original neti pot much, much better than yours. Yours is far too phallic, and when you consider sticking it in your nose, well…there are some images best left alone.

51. Jessica says:

If you use that sucker regularly, even when you are not congested, you will eliminate a world of misery.
    Allergy congestion, general random congestion- it will all disappear. It keeps those allergens flushed out of your nose which really does seem to help. It all sounds like voodoo but it does work.
    Also, for whatever reason, you should never ever have an audience. It makes you relax more and you will have a much easier time.

52. Jessica at OttoFamilyAdventure.blogspot.com says:

Too funny! My hubby has always struggled with allergies, and so I got him a neti pot. However, he wasn’t so fond of the drowning sensation either, so I looked online and found SinuCleanse Squeeze nasal wash. Ahh. Much easier to use, and it really works! So much so, that we have the refills brought to us in Guatemala!

53. Queen of My Domain says:

Oh my goodness this is funny! I’ve seen and heard about the wonders of a neti pot for months yet. I just have to wait until I have a true need for one before I go and buy one.
    I don’t know what is funnier your boys or your baby girl having a tea party.

54. Whitney @ Baby Tunnel Exodus says:

SHUT UP. Hahahaha! Hoo. Hee hee ho! Know what I loved most? The narator said, “enjoy the warm soothing feeling” as my eyes were watering and nose was hurting just watching the video. Then she said, make sure to “forcefully exhale from your nose” and started doing all kinds of aerobis, repeating the same instruction, WITHOUT a tissue.
    The thought of me doing this would resemble nothing of the serene calmness of this video. I would be hollering the entire time accompanied by snot rocket inducing yoga poses.
    Excuse me. I’m laughing so hard I need a tissue…. Thanks for an awesome laugh!

55. Kim says:

Honestly, I don’t know the last time I laughed so hard. Oh my word! This is too funny. That video alone is worth 1000 laughs. This deserves some kind of an award for post that will bring a smile to your face and day! Thanks!!!!

56. marigold says:

Hoo hoo hoo, hee hee hee, ho ho ho! Riot! I’m thrilled it worked for you and you’re breathing better now. I had heard of them but had NO idea that’s how the pots worked!

57. Crystal (Koekje Mom) says:

It looks like it would be so uncomfy, but probably not as bad as “The Plague”.
    It also looks like it may be a good solution to “mom, I want to stay home cause I don’t feel good” “Sure honey, as soon as you stick this up your nose”
    crystal-

58. Sporty Mama says:

I just got over the “plague” too. It took over for about a month and I am still recovering from it. Thanks for the neti pot tip. I’ll remember that for the next time I am hit by the “plague.”

59. TRS says:

Careful with that thing.
    My cousin used one… somehow affected her ear and her equilibrium has been seriously off for months.
    If I get a chance to ask her about it again I’ll ask for more details to share with you regarding what to avoid.

60. Michelle says:

I am rolling on the floor laughing at this post!
    I always thought the same thing about the woman who demonstrated the Neti Pot on OPRAH! Could she possibly be seen by any more people than on that show? She did it like a pro though.
    Glad to hear that you found some relief and that your daughter’s imagination is flourishing as a result!

61. Heather says:

Oh my word, between the video and your list of Eternal Neti Pot Truths, I am sitting here laughing with tears rolling down my face. THANK YOU! After a long day, I need a good laugh!

62. Rebekah says:

PLEASE forgive me for being a little off color here, but whoever mentioned they thought the shape of the spout was … interesting? Sorry, but I had the same thought. Ahem.
    I’ve also heard that they work great for fighting allergies. Flushes out all the pollen, etc. I will be trying it next spring … or the next time I get a cold!

63. Ronda says:

I had heard of a neti pot before. I’ve been thinking about getting one to prevent sinus infections (like the one I currently have). Thanks for your insights & the sharing of the funny parts. I hope you’re feeling better soon!

64. Tree Climbing Adventures says:

A neti pot tea party! That’s classic. My husband walked in the first time I used mine and I just had to look at him at say, “Whatever was left of the mystery is all gone now, ain’t it?” Yup. But at least I could breathe.

65. Christina Z says:

I’m so jealous that you are such a good friend of Patsy!!!! I love her (but I only know her from speaking at Woman of Faith and her books).

66. Kim says:

I tried this (and watched the video) for the first time in April. I had, what I thought at the time were bad allergies…then I went on a women’s retreat in the mountains. Once I got up said mountain, I KNEW it was not allergies and after spending a miserable weekend up there I came back and bought one on the advice of several women at the retreat.
    I poured the water in and it STOPPED!! I was SO plugged up it had no where to go…so off to the doctor I go. I had a sinus infection and an ear infection!! Okay, so once all the snot started to break up the neti pot worked great, but I must have sinusus the size of the grand canyon, cause I blew my nose for WEEKS on end!
    I’m sure that was more than you all wanted to know…but that is my neti pot experience.
    Love your daughter’s use for it though. Sounds like something my youngest would do…and she’s 11!
    Blessings,
    Kim

67. Phebe says:

Oh, Shannon, this made me literally laugh out loud! My 2 yr old just walked up while I was laughing and said “look, mom! A teapot!” Then I was laughing even harder, of course…
    Phebe

68. Missy says:

I don’t have a Neti Pot, but we do the same thing with a bulb syringe (“snot sucker”) around here. We’re quite enthusiastic about it. My kids think it’s pretty cool to see the water go in one nostril and come out the other.
    Every summer, my eldest gets a summer cough that won’t go away. She usually ends up needing an antibiotic. This summer I hosed her nose every night and morning, and her cough went away in two days!
    I told a friend about it last week. She was miserable with a sinus headache and maybe a sinus infection. After two days of nasal irrigation, her sinuses were totally cleared up! It works!

69. kare Anderson says:

I, too, have had success with the N. pot yet have found a preventive approach that has worked so far. That is getting an air cleaner that attaches to my home furnace aka “hvac” system. When they use electronic air filters they keep the air throughout my home more clean than fresh air. For those with asthma or other allergies, not “just” colds, it makes a big difference

70. Debbie says:

I went to Walgreens to pick one up (before your post) and they were out. Can you believe that? The hottest thing right now is a snot remover?
    Well my sister in law cracked me up after we went to visit them and as I was leaving she ran up to me to show me her “snot sucker” (what I call it). She should have been on a commercial. Can’t wait until I am that excited. 🙂

71. Lynnet says:

Okay, this was way too funny! I can certainly understand that Mom is now one cool lady! The things we do! After reading your post and talking to my dr. (I just had surgery for a deviated septum and blocked sinuses a week ago), I bought one. After LOCKING my bathroom door (9 yr. old would think it was cool as well), I tried it. About drowned myself on the first try, but after that it was much better. I had to say, it helped tremendously!!! Thanks for posting the giggle of the day. 🙂

72. daring one says:

Oh gosh Shannon. My kids totally use it as a tea pot whenever I’m not looking and it completely sicks me out!
    I could never really get it to work for me but have switched to flushing with a squeeze bottle. There will be no YouTube video to corroborate this.

73. Amy says:

That is so funny! Snot pot for a tea pot. I will never drink tea out of a tea pot again. From on it will only be brewed tea and then straight to my cup.
    love your blog.
    ~Amy

74. Elfie33 says:

I just see the boys. My son when he was small love to regal me with the grossness of things. You made me laugh, but I sure am glad your able to breath again…that’s pretty important. 🙂

75. Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) says:

I saw that one coming! Ha! Too funny. 🙂 Glad you’re feeling better.
    I saw someone at Walgreens in her bath robe once. I immediately thought “Bless her heart.” Some southerners say “Bless her heart” to mean “What a moron.” Not me. I wanted someone to actually bless her heart, because she was so sick that she didn’t feel well enough to change clothes before she went to Walgreens. I would have thought “Bless her heart” if I’d seen you, too… and also in the non-moronic meaning of the phrase. 🙂
    But I agree; it IS a pharmacy/drugstore. If a person can’t wear her night attire there, where can one… apart from one’s home, I mean. 🙂

76. carol says:

I’ve wondered if that pot would work. Plus it is multi-use! A boy entertainment opportunity that doesn’t involve video games and a tea pot. What more could your ask.

77. carol says:

78. Mama C says:

this is the funniest thing I’ve read all week. My 3yr old and 5 yr old just watched this with me and my 5 yr old son was so intrigued watching the video that he did not want to go outside & play when a friend came to the door. Now that is funny to me. Thanks for the laugh.

79. LeeAnn (AKA Frazzmom) says:

I discovered the benefits of sinus flushing earlier this year when I had a sinus infection. My husband offered to make a video of me flushing so that I could post in on my blog, but I declined…. After all, watching someone flush green snot out of her nose is just not pretty.
    It could have been great for my stats though!

80. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime says:

Ok, I must make some comments on the video.
    1) Good to see Squeaky Fromme is getting some acting gigs. She needed a new hobby.
    2) Did you notice that the narrator’s voice sounds, well, congested? Hello? Marketing?
    3) That is one sad little bathroom. Green gunk on the faucet and all. I guess prisoners can’t be choosers.
    4) I love how she tells you “if needed, adjust your head position by bending closer to the sink.” Thank you for that wisdom.
    This was one of my favorite posts you have ever written, by the way.

81. Tammy Elrod says:

Thank you for the greatest laugh I have had this week! I loved the story, especially the part at the end with the Neti pot at the tea party. Just to consider another option for a similar result: I use an ear syringe with room temp salt water. Mix 1/3 tsp of salt with 1 cup water. (Water should feel neither hot nor cold). Gather water in the syringe, close one side of the nose, place tip in other side, and close nose around tip. Squeeze water gently into nose, then let it drip out removing the other “excretions” along with it. Alternate sides until all water is gone, then blow nose gently. I have used this for years and it oftens keeps me from having to be treated for a sinus infection. It also gives instant relief from the pain and pressure in the sinus cavities. On a similar kid “funny” note – I am forever having to hunt down my ear syringe because my 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son are fascinated by it. I never know where I might find it next. I hope you feel better soon. Tammy

82. Stonefox says:

This one ROCKS!! Awesome fun! I have one of those pots, but haven’t hitched up the courage to use it. Well, I think I just found the inspiration I need, thanks to you!

83. Qtpies7 says:

I have seen those. I just cannot fathom doing it. Not even with a horrid summer cold. I have a fear of water in my nose and, oh, I don’t know, DROWNING. I certainly don’t want to inflict that upon myself.
    Even if it works.

84. megank says:

Really funny!! I had to laugh softly b/c the computer is in the baby’s room, but had he not been in here I would have laughed way loud.
    I thought about trying the pot, but opted for an allergy shot. If that doesn’t work, I’m off to by the pot; Neti Pot that is.

85. Stretch Mark Mama says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
    And one more thing?
    HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!
    But you know–4.6 months from now, all sorts of people are going to be back at your blog, trying to remember what in the snot was the name of that hilarious contraption–so they can unstuff their sinuses.

86. Deborah says:

That is funny! I love my Netipot.. my sinuses are so much better since I started using it regularly. It’s not my favorite thing to do, but it sure gives me a lot of relief!

87. Kathy C. says:

That was absolutely hilarious!!!! 🙂 Oh my…I think one of my favorite bits from above is…
    3. But if you reconsider on #2, above, those same little boys will think you are very, very cool.
    Having a son myself, I totally understand this. 🙂
    Love the tea-party, Oh, I bet you were just wondering if she drank out of it, lol. 🙂

88. Christee Evans says:

This is a hilarious story. I have never heard of a Neti Pot…until now. I’m not sure if I would ever be daring enough to try it, but it will depend on how sick I feel! You’re right, the video is a little disturbing to watch. I never knew you coudl even do that without choking! I’m glad that it worked for you & your daughter was able to find another use for it though!!

89. Tammy says:

Hilarious! I’m one of those who doesn’t go underwater without plugging my nose, but since sinus surgery three years ago I’ve become a big sinus irrigation fan. I’d rather flush that stuff out in the privacy of my own bathroom than try to blow it out at the office.
    I have to second the commenter who says that NeilMed’s Sinus Rinse is much easier to use. Same brand as your cute pot, but its a squeezing action, rather than the turn-and-pour.
    Great post!

90. Stacy says:

Ours looks exactly like that. I wish I could get my hubby to use it more often since his sinuses are perpetually plugged- so much so that he often can’t get the water to go through.
    LOL about the teapot.

91. Carol Shrader says:

OH, I’m so laughing out loud. And God love that actress…she was hilarious and yet, very informative. I had never heard of a Neti pot…but after seeing it, I was certain it would be used as a teapot in my home as well…so was glad your daughter thinks the same! 🙂

92. mkmlane says:

Oh….this is my first visit to your site and I think I peed my pants laughing. You made me forget about my headache for a second. Thank you! I hope you are feeling better soon!!!

93. Dawn says:

Thank you soooo much for posting this. My DS and I suffer sinus issues…him more than me, but I have been giving this idea a lot of thought. I’m glad to know a real person has tried it and found it actually worked…I’ll be getting mine today!!

94. Cindy Anderson says:

Yep, you have struck gold and the secret to nasal happiness. I first heard about it from Dr Oz (Oprah Show)). I gave a neti pot to my husband (of 40 years) for Christmas (he is very difficult to buy for) and he loved it! And I don’t have to hear him snorting and gagging salt water from his hand every morning! I share the neti pot knowledge with everyone that has a sinus problem… it’s just a little personal crusade I am on.

95. Jessica says:

This totally works! My husband and I have been using the neti pot for over one year. Every time we start feeling our throat getting scratchy, we use the neti pot 2 times a day and the sickness never embeds. I HIGHLY recommend this thing. 🙂

96. Abby says:

Oh my dd just asked why are you laughing mom…too funny! Email me I would love to have you do a guest feature spot on our blog. We could use some laughs!!

97. Amy @ MomsToolbox says:

Oh my gosh!
    I know you have like a million other comments on this one, but I am laughing so hard I can’t help but leave another one.
    My parents have been singing the praises of those things for years and I have been deathly afraid. (eeeyw!)
    Next time the need arises, I guess I’ll head to Walgreeens in my Pjs, too. And then let the boys (ages 5 and 7) watch. And then check my daughter’s (age 2) room for the teapot.
    Oh my goodness, you make the whole, ungracious thing sound so hilarious! And I hope you are still feeling much better. 🙂

98. Lee Ann says:

Shannon, very well said and it brought a smile to my face. Welcome to the world of the netty! I use one when I get the least bit congested, but Reed can’t stand them. I will say that yours is a lot cooler looking than mine, though. Wanna trade? 🙂

99. Sara says:

Yet another reason I LOVE your blog… I had to link you a feeble “award”. It’s hanging out over at my blog…
    And yes, the Neti works. Although – yours looks WAY too much like a tea pot… Mine is the one in your video clip. My 6 year old daughter is a champ at it – rocked at it at the age of 5 – WAY better than mom at the snot flush – even keeping her hair dry in the process.
    Blog on…

100. pam says:

I have had two reconstructive sinus surgeries and I use a squirt bottle with pre measured packets by Neil Med. I recomend the in the shower method it works like a charm.

101. shannon martinez says:

Okay. I am laughing out loud. I skipped the nettipot and went right to the “snot rocket” as my 6 yo obsessed with bodily fluids son calls it. By the way…it works great for their little colds and sniffles too and the grosser the “output” the more entertained they are! The snot rocket can be viewed at http://www.sinusrinse.com

102. Elaine says:

I am pretty sure the other 164 commenters before me have probably said this too but can I just say that I will NOT be by your house for a tea party anytime soon? Just sayin… ; )