Eternal Truths of Parenting: Volume 3,923

If you save a whole slew of shoeboxes because you just KNOW your child will need one for a school project, but they never do, and you finally decide to de-clutter and throw them all out, then you can be sure that within seven days, your child will need a shoebox for a school project.

(Though, as I have said before, it should be noted that this is a perfectly reasonable excuse to buy a new pair of shoes.  It is not frivolity, it is good parenting.)

57 thoughts on “Eternal Truths of Parenting: Volume 3,923

1. Alyce says:

Fo me it’s always the boxes that clothes come in. I save them all after Christmas, get tired of them finally and throw them away, and then the next week realize I need them for someone’s birthday. That would be my fault for not planning ahead. And yes – great excuse to go shopping!

2. janet says:

this may show how long I’ve been reading your blog but I do seem to remember this happened to you awhile back too. And a lovely pair of shoes you bought then too.
    am I remembering correctly??

3. Nicole says:

This is soooooo true! I also save toilet paper rolls. I have a box of them overflowing in my closet. Hubby thinks I’m nuts–but they came in very handy when we substitute taught Sunday school a couple of months ago and had to make toilet-paper-tube binoculars!!

4. Jenny says:

I had a parent “donate” a large bag full of shoe boxes to my classroom. They said they know we use them for a third grade book report. Now I get to find a place to store them…yet no one offers boxes when it is time for the actual project. Go figure!

5. Krista says:

And this is why I can never throw anything out and my house is a clutter disaster! I just know that as soon as I throw it out I will need it! I think it must be one of Murphy’s Laws… and I don’t even have a school age child yet!

6. Anna says:

Haha, that’s great. I think that applies to a lot of things in life – saving something because you think you might use it later, then throwing it out, only to find out three days later that you really could have used it after all!

7. Organizing Mommy says:

Good logic all around. Call me boring, but I bought all 3 pairs of shoes I’ll need for the next two years in one day. Not sure what I did with the boxes, though. With five kids, someone will have a box again soon. LOL

8. Cheri says:

My husband saves every box we get – no matter the size. A few times a year I lose it and break them all down and set them out for the recyle to pick up. And usually the next week, if not the next day, I need every box I destroyed.

9. Tina says:

Don’t you know it! I’ve done that with those little cardboard cylinders from toilet paper before. Save, save, save for little projects, then as soon as they’re thrown, someone would come asking for them! Go figure! Hope you got some cute shoes from it all! πŸ™‚

10. Vikki says:

ARGHHHHH the same thing happened to me last night with magazines!!!!!!!!! I just threw them all out last week and he needed to make a collage.
    do I get to go buy new shoes too?

11. Beck says:

At our house, it’s gift bags. I’ll save them and then wonder why I’m cluttering up my house with gift bags, throw them out – and two minutes later, there comes my kids with a birthday party invitation.

12. Kaye says:

I threw away dozens of shoe boxes because I nice shoe rack when we moved and got a nice walk-in cloest. Decluttering, I called it. I have found so many uses for the shoeboxes I no longer have since then that I want to pull my hair out!

13. Laura says:

Save them for Operation Christmas Child packages. (But if you run out of boxes for school projects, I definitely think it’s okay to buy a new pair of shoes!)

14. Cristina Sixto says:

And this holds true no matter their age. I just cleaned out my sons closet. He left for COLLEGE and had I think every shoe box for every pair of shoes ever bought for him in his closet. I haven’t used an old shoe box in years for anything. We got rid of ALL of them last weekend.
    Of course, last night I said one of those boxes sure would be handy to send him a little care package now wouldn’t it. My husband just laughed.