Barbecue Cupcakes

Yes, barbecue cupcakes.  The original recipe for this (I believe it came from Taste of Home) was entitled "farmhouse barbecue muffins".  But in this family, we believe in inserting dessert conceptually wherever we can.  So, they’re barbecue cupakes.

They are delicious and easy.  They’re perfect for a family meal, but they’re also a fun party food.  Here’s the scoop:

Bbqcupcakes

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef, cooked
1 cup bbq sauce or sloppy joe sauce, whichever you prefer
1 can of LAYERED refrigerated biscuits (not the little tiny packages, the bigger one.  I use
Grands.)
About 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:
Cook beef, drain, mix with bbq sauce.  Set aside.

Carefully pull apart layers of biscuits, so that each biscuit is now in two pieces, like this:

Bbq1

Roll out layers with a rolling pin, until they make a 10-12" circle.

Spray the insides of a muffin pan.  Insert one flattened biscuit into each cup, like this:

Bbq2

In each little pastry shell, spoon in about 1 tbsp of beef mixture.  It will look this:

Bbq3

Afterwards, sprinkle cheese on top, because if a recipe doesn’t say "sprinkle cheese on top", then you should run the other way:

Bbq4

Bake in a 350 oven for 8-12 minutes, take it out, and then you just tell me this isn’t the cutest little thing you’ve ever seen:

Bbq5

92 thoughts on “Barbecue Cupcakes

1. jennie says:

oohhh…totally making these this weekend! thanks! we also agree about inserting dessert conceptually whenever possible – at Lonestar this weekend when they brought out the bread and butter, my 2.5 year old declared it to be cake and ice cream, so we all ate “dessert” first. πŸ™‚

2. MommaChelle says:

These sound wonderful! My girlfriend had told me about these forever ago, but of course I forgot about them.
    Thanks for the how-to pics. Are these actually you, cause if so…I LOVE your plate!

3. T with Honey says:

My aunt has been making these for over 15 years and I luv finding them at every party she throws. They’re so easy and yummy!
    Plus she gave me any leftovers during my college. They’re surprisingly taste when eaten cold between classes.

4. Kathy C. says:

LOL – when I read the recipe title, I thought these were going to be cooked on the grill and I was all ready to hear about this, hee hee. These look fun and like a great kid food. πŸ™‚

5. Kelly says:

I have made these before, and they ROCK! However, we made them with beef and spagetti sauce, you spoon the meat and sauce into the biscuit cups, put a Tbsp. of ricotta cheese on top, and then put shredded cheese on top….VERY GOOD!!!!

6. pokeyann says:

This looks so great. I hope you don’t mind, but I copied it and posted it on my blog…Best Food on the Planet…, I gave you full credit with a link back to your page. But if you do mind, please let me know and I will take it down immediately. Either way, I really liked the creative new way to make great food.

7. Kelly @ Love Well says:

My Mom always made these “meat pies” for dinner on Halloween. She just substituted the grated cheese for a slice of American, which she cut into a circle with a biscuit cutter and then cut out triangle eyes and noses with a small knife. Cute and fun. It worked to get some dinner in us before the candy fest began.

8. T. says:

Dinner tonight –> solved! Am I reading it correctly to roll them out into 10-12 inch circles? That seems huge!
    Also, loved the comment about the slice of cheese on top with eyes and things cut out for Halloween! What a quick, and cute idea for the craziness that is pre trick or treat dinner.
    Thanks!

9. Amy says:

Hello! Thought I’d share this- Once, by mistake, I bought the Pillsbury Cornbread Biscuits to make these, and they turned out really well! Very yummy- πŸ™‚

10. prasti says:

we do a similar recipe (my MIL’s) called sloppy joe turnovers. and instead of putting them in muffin tins, we seal the dough after we stuff it…kind of like a dumpling. i like the muffin tin idea…faster than sealing all the dough.

11. Edwina says:

Cannot wait to try this recipe, we just had sloppy joe’s last night,wish I had the recipe then. But now I will have it for a future dinner. Thanks for sharing this unusal cupcake

12. LifeatTheCircus says:

I too thought when I saw the title on my google reader that I’d be learning how to make cupcakes on my grill!
    The do sound delicious and easy… which totally “works for me” Will def try this week and on Halloween with the jack-o-lantern, twist!
    Great ideas!! Thanks a ton!

13. Happy Mommy says:

That is a very clever idea! I love taste of home! I love BBQ I love biscuits. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, oh did i mention I love cheese.
    I just started the book Twilight! I am so excited!

14. Clemntine says:

My older girls are doing all the cooking right now. They will be PSYCHED to try this out and, BONUS!, the little kids will probably eat them! Thank you, super genius virtual homie girlfriend!

15. Sarah says:

I made these way back when in Home Ec during high school! I remember how delicious they were…thanks for the reminder. I’m going to have to make some for myself. ;P

16. Nicole@OnTheRun says:

My husband LOVES these and requests them for his birthday, football games, Super Bowl party, etc.
    In a pinch, I also used Lloyd’s barbeque beef and use pepper jack to spice it up a little.
    But really, you can’t go wrong!

17. Wani says:

I have done a breakfast version w/ scrambled eggs w/ ham or sausage topped w/ cheese. It was delish!
    I keep telling myself I want to make a big batch and freeze a bunch so I can take ’em out one or two at a time a reheat them for a quick breakfast.

18. Cheri says:

I made these for my son’st third birthday party – which will soon be 10 years ago . . . .egads! Anyhoo, they were absolutely delicious and a major hit at the partay. I should make them again.

19. Erica says:

Thanks! I made these for dinner tonight (but I used spaghetti sauce instead of BBQ ’cause my hubby’s not a fan of the BBQ sauce) and they were a hit with the whole family! That one’s definitely going in my recipe box. πŸ™‚

20. Jodie says:

That’s so funny – the original recipe I saw they were called “Beefy Biscuit Cups.” Not my idea of an appetizing name, personally. So we re-named them, as well. We use spaghetti sauce, and call them pizza muffins! They are SO yummy.

21. sherrieb says:

I would never have thought of using sloppy joe sauce – but sloppy joes are my sons favorite (the rest of us don’t seem to mind them either) – so we should all enjoy this very much!!!

22. Lisa says:

These are a weekly staple for us, but my ‘filling’ is one can of canned chicken, one can of cream of chicken soup and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix those three ingredients and fill the ‘cups’. We call them ‘chicken things’…they are so stinkin’ delicious!!!

23. Mrs. H says:

Hm – wonder if this would be good using taco-seasoned meat?! Perfectly easy finger food for gatherings! Thanks. Also, thanks for the Taste of Home link. I have a cookbook by them, but have never checked out their website. Great advanced search feature.