You’re Welcome

Last week I told you about my new recipe system, a system inspired by a lost chicken and dumpling recipe.

[Let me pause here to say that I feel I’m being intellectually dishonest by including that "g" at the end of the word "dumpling".  I have never in my life pronounced the "g".  It is a "dumplin".  But I want my spell-checker to leave me alone, so I’m going with the correct version.]

Thankfully, in the process of sorting through everything, I found the dumpling recipe.  It had been incorrectly filed in the dessert section, behind my recipe for…I’m not kidding…"Better-Than-Sex Cake".

(I didn’t name it, folks.  In fact, that recipe came from an old Southern Baptist cookbook, so you can be sure it has been fully screened for moral propriety.  I’m actually kind of surprised they didn’t name it "Better-Than***MARRIED***-Sex Cake".  I guess this particular ladies’ Sunday school class was living on the edge.)

Anyway, here are both recipes, now fully rescued and stored in their proper places:

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp Crisco (I think this is what makes these so good!)
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
2 cups celery
1 cup onion
at least 4 cups chicken broth

Bring broth to a broil; drop in chicken, celery and onion.  In a separate bowl, mix together first six ingredients.  Roll dough flat, slice into whatever size/shape you prefer (I like half-inch-by-half-inch squares).  Drop into boiling broth.  Allow to simmer until dough is cooked through, usually about 15-20 minutes.

BETTER-THAN-SEX CAKE
(By the way, yes, it’s a very good cake.  No, it’s not THAT good.)

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup sugar
1 6 oz box instant vanilla pudding
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
8 oz Cool Whip
coconut, lightly toasted

Bake cake according to directions on box, in 9×13 pan.  Combine sugar and pineapple in saucepan over low heat; allow to cool.  When cake has cooled, poke holes in it; pour pineapple mixture over the top.  Chill.  Prepare pudding according to package directions; pour over cake.  Chill.  Before serving, cover with Cool Whip.  Garnish with coconut.

By the way, when I posted about my new recipe system, Missus Wookie left a comment that was so clever I asked her if I could reprint it here:

I have a Rolodex with either the recipe title and where to find it, or a brief overview of the recipe to remind me of exactly how much flour… Preferred that to the index cards as of course the cards don’t tend to wander.

(While I’m on the subject, remember that this Wednesday is the Kitchen Organization Edition of Works-For-Me Wednesday.  Might be a good time to share how you organize your own recipes!)

55 thoughts on “You’re Welcome

1. LifeatTheCircus says:

Funny how the same recipes can have different names. My mom’s family called that cake recipe, “Throw Up Cake” because as my grandma put it, it looks like you just threw the ingredients up in the air and caught them in the pan. (my cousins and I thought it was because it looked kinda like throw up)
    I agree it tastes good…not better than sex, but MUCH better than throw up! πŸ™‚

2. Junglewife says:

I’ve had “Better than Sex” cake before. But it was a completely different recipe: Make a chocolate cake mix and bake in 9×13 pan. poke with holes all over and pour a can of sweetnened condensed milk all over it. Spread Cool Whip over the top, and garnish with crushed candy bars (reeces cups, heath bars, etc) YUM YUM!!!

3. jaime says:

As a BYU undergrad, Better-than-sex cake was all the rage. I still question how anyone knew if it really was named appropriately πŸ™‚
    The recipe I knew was similar to Junglewife’s. I’m curious about pineapple and coconut in this cake. I may just have to make it πŸ™‚ Thanks!

4. Judy says:

That same cake in one of my old cookbooks was called “Better than Paul Newman”cake. That shows you how old it is. (Rest in peace Mr. Newman)
    Today you might call it “Better than Brad Pitt” cake!

5. Susan says:

Thanks for sharin your chicken ‘n dumplin recipe. I have all the infredients. I’m thinkin this is tomorrow night’s dinner. I don’t always pronounce my “g’s” either.

6. Erin says:

My husband has always hated chicken and dumplings…it has something to do with a really bad mission experience. I think I will make them anyway, and see if I can change his mind! Thanks for the recipe!

7. pam says:

I’m with junglewife on the Better than Sex cake recipe. I’m thinking if it has any chance of truly being “better than . . .” it HAS to have chocolate in it.
    Yours sounds yummy, too. Love how it unearthed the dumplin’ recipe. Too funny!

8. Kim says:

thanks for the recipes! I hate to roll out dough, is it possible to use like Pillsbury bisquits? If not I’ll roll, because this recipe sounds yummy and easy (well except fro the rolling!)

9. Karen B says:

I’ll try your chicken and dumplin recipe…my grandmother’s has yet to be topped (she’s 93, we better get it down) and yes Kim you HAVE to roll out the dough…

10. Kristin says:

I make the same named cake, but in a chocolate version:
    1 box German chocolate cake mix
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 jar carmel ice cream topping
    crushed Heath bars
    Cool Whip
    Bake cake according to box. Remove from oven and while it’s still warm poke holes in the top. Combine milk and carmel. Pour over cake. Add Heath bits. Top with cool whip.

11. Joanna Jones says:

Hi Shannon,
    I recently finished re-organizing all my recipes onto my laptop using Microsoft Office One Note. What a great program! I’ll admit that it took a while to type all my recipes into the computer, but the end result is DEFINITELY worth it! This program allows me to organize by recipe box into categories (bread, cake, chicken dishes, etc.) and it even looks like an index card recipe box on the screen. Brilliant. Now when I get a new recipe, I quickly type it in my computer….much faster than writing. When it is time to cook, I prop up my computer on the counter. Or, if the recipe is particularly messy, I’ll print the page so I don’t risk getting my computer dirty. Also, if someone asks me for a recipe, I just quickly copy and paste it into an e-mail. Voila!

12. Lisa says:

We had Better than Tom Seleck Cake that was the chocolate one with Heath bars in the 80’s. I remember my aunts joking that it was better than Tom, but not better than sex.

13. trublubyu says:

de-lurking to say i actually found rocks in my dryer the other day, so in their honor i wrote a post about it and have linked to your blog. my two readers may come check you out. help them feel at home, k?

14. Faerylandmom says:

My Better-Than-Sex Cake is the same version as Kristin’s, excepte we use devil’s food instead of german chocolate. I couldn’t imagine a cake being better than sex that didn’t involve copious amounts of chocolate…but that’s just me. πŸ™‚
    Even with the “g” on the end, I still pronounce it “dumplin”. The “g” is totally unnecessary and confusing. πŸ™‚

15. Melanie says:

Oh, YEAH! I am so excited about the dumplin recipe.
    I have seen that cake recipe so many times in church cookbooks and it always makes me laugh. Once I found it in a cookbook renamed “Better Than Robert Redford Cake.”
    Snort.

16. Kirsty says:

I got my Better then Sex Cake recipe from a cookbook we made in Relief Society (as young single women) at my LDS church college. Although they did add “although how would we know” after the title. LOL. Now that I *do* know I would have to agree with your assessment. πŸ˜€
    Glad you found your recipe. I lost my favourite cookbook (ok well, it was more like a magazine-the one that had all the recipes I could actually make) at the store a couple of Christmases ago. I still mourn its loss deeply.

17. sandy says:

I’ve heard of that cake recipe πŸ™‚
    I used to be organized w/my recipes, but now I seem to go to the internet and pull something up. Or use what’s in my head πŸ™‚
    Did you know there is a website that you put your ingredients that you have on hand in – and then it tells you what to make?
    I need to find it (I just heard about it)and maybe do a post …
    Happy Monday Shannon!

18. Libby says:

I’m still laughing that the dumplings came after the sex in your recipe box. πŸ˜‰
    I, too, have made better than sex cake but my version is the same as Kristin’s.
    And not to confuse the “better than” debate any further, but here’s my sister-in-law’s version:
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 box instant vanilla pudding
    1/2 c veggie oil
    1/2 c water
    4 eggs
    1 c sour cream
    1 bar grated german chocolate
    1 (6 oz) pkg chocolate chips
    1 (6 oz) pkg butterscotch chips
    1/2 c chopped pecans
    First four ingredients blended together well. Eggs added one at a time and then sour cream and mix again. Fold in remaining ingredients and baked in greased bundt pan at 350 for 1 hour. Let cool 1 hour before removing.
    I’d have to agree that if you are going to be so bold as to claim your cake is better than sex, it better have chocolate in it!

19. Michelle says:

Don’t know if it’s the same recipe as any of the above mentioned, but my mom said that my grandma passed one on to her that was renamed, “Robert Redford Cake” so as not to blush when naming the recipe at the potluck!!!

20. Tina says:

I received my copy of Better-Than-Sex-Cake from my aunt about a month after I was married at the tender age of 21.
    I remember blushing like crazy when I read it because my grandmother was in the same room!
    The cake is really good, though.
    As for dumplins, my mom always used to just mix them, spoon them up, and drop them into the liquid. That’s how I’ve done it for years too. I never knew people rolled out the dough flat and cut them like that until a church potluck dinner a few years back.
    What a sheltered life I’ve led.

21. Kelly says:

Woohoo!! I am so excited for that chicken and dumplin recipe. I agree, I for one have never pronounced that “g”.
    And to Shannon, I had to laugh at your 52-10 comment. I am diehard Hogs fan but had to laugh at that comment.

22. Ruth says:

I have a cookbook, which is a compliation of recipes from the Food Network. Paula Deen’s section features the “Better than Ses Cake.” When I first saw that I think I about died laughing … because, well, I had never heard of it and thought she named it herself. Guess not. And I love chicken and dumplings.

23. Lysa TerKeurst says:

Oh you have me laughing. Can I just serve up that cake the next time I am DOG TIRED and my hubs has that look?
    I’m going to stock the kitchen with those ingredients right now. And then maybe I’ll take a photo of how I’ve organized said ingredients and try to post on Wednesday.
    Smiles!

24. Michelle says:

The recipe I’ve always made for the cake takes a chocolate cake and you drop cream cheese mixed with chocolate chips into the batter. Then Ice with rich chocolate frosting…I need to make this again.

25. Grateful for Grace says:

I love this cake! We have the same name for it, but a friend won’t say the word SEX, so she calls it “Better Than Cake”. A teacher in high school wouldn’t say the word either (to her students… good thing), so she called it “Robert Redford Cake”.
    πŸ™‚

26. LisaC says:

I have never had “Better Than Sex” cake, but I have had “Sex in a Pan” which is made with chocolate pudding, cream cheese…all the healthy stuff.
    My husband has your Sex cake every year for his birthday, but we call it “Pig-Eating Good Cake” because it is so yummy! I use the same recipe, but add a can of mandarin oranges with the pineapple.

27. Jenn says:

But don’t you all feel sorry for the old Southern Baptist ladies who thought any cake could be better than sex?
    I do like Lysa’s idea about serving it up “next time I am DOG TIRED and my hubs has that look” though!
    Thanks for both the recipes. I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

28. cheryl says:

I was at a family gathering where the Better-than-Sex Cake was being dished out. I was in my mid 20’s and a bit wild. I didn’t want any cake and someone responded that it was better than sex. My response was, “Well, I wouldn’t know. I don’t eat cake.” My poor mom.

29. sh says:

On the subject of the cake – I agree with the the other chocoholics. No cake can be better than *** if it doesn’t have chocolate!
    On the subject of dumplins – These are what my mom called “slick dumplins” (my personal preference). But my aunt used to make what we called “puffy dumplins”. Slick dumplins – the dough was dropped into the stew and boiled; Puffy Dumplins were more like a biscuit dropped on top of the stew and allowed to puff. Aint it interesting the variations!
    And to suburbancorrespondent at the beginning of the comments – Yep. I think this must be the gentile version of matzo ball soup. But it’s creamy (note the buttermilk) with the chicken — maybe why you’ve never heard of it. πŸ™‚

30. Aunt LoLo says:

The first time I had BTS cake was in a missionary training center, in Utah, where I was learning Cantonese and preparing to ship off to Hong Kong for 18 months. My companion had to tell me what it was – apparently, it’s a specialty (and a favorite) at the nearby (private, religious) university. I’ve always wondered what they called it on their menu…